Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1471841 - 07/10/10 05:14 PM how to deal with anxious teacher
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
This is not a piano-related question, but I'm hoping to get some wisdom from the teachers here.

We have a guitar teacher for my son who is 11. I don't know what his qualifications are, I've not asked, but he seems to know about every style, every technique, every (guitar-related) instrument possible. I have a huge respect for him, he has a great rapport with my son, and he is great at teaching.

I asked him at the beginning (we've had him for just over a year now) if he enters kids for exams. He said yes, and that the appropriate body for rock guitar is Rockschool.

He is a great teacher, but sometimes I have felt that he can be a little inconsistent, not always prepared with new material when it's needed. At some point when I felt things were getting a bit aimless, I suggested doing a Rockschool grade, to which the teacher and my son agreed.

It's hard to describe, but somehow as soon as it came to the exam teacher, all the creativity turned to anxiety. So when my son had practiced one of the exam pieces for a week (plenty of time to exam), he commented that that would probably be a 'pass'. I was expecting 'good effort - this was great - we need to work on that...' but somehow everything turned into passing - and failing.

When the letter came with the details of the exam, he commented, 'oh scary', and I had to quite deliberately say 'no, it's not.' He was really anxious at the last lesson - in his own word 'in panic mode' quite openly talking about that none of his students have ever failed yet, but there's always a first time....

I just feel this is a lot of anxiety to offload onto an 11 year old. An 11 year old who got through the exam today just fine. smile

Also (now I didn't want this to become a rant) when I think about the preparation for the exam, I can honestly say, some parts of it, my son was only prepared because I did the work with him. The aural exam, the improvisation, and the technical exercises - I did all this with him, not the teacher. I'm really amazed that he managed to neglect all this over time, because to me the exam is a great opportunity to do all these learning things that kids are less keen to do.

So I feel I really need to talk to him about all this - but I'm now sure how.

I'm open to any thoughts, ideas and suggestions.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1471861 - 07/10/10 05:35 PM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: ten left thumbs]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Could it be that preparing students for exams is not the teacher's strong point? It sounds like he is a good teacher, and if your son is learning well, progressing well, and likes to study with this person, maybe asking for the exam put the teacher in waters he is not comfortable with, but he did as you asked the best he could.

#1471880 - 07/10/10 05:50 PM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: rocket88]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
When I first began Guild with my students, I was simply overwhelmed with the requirements. I gave myself a year to study the syllabus, and to organize my teaching around meeting the requirements. The teacher has to do lesson planning, just as they teach us in school, or else, the exam date will sneak up on you and you'll discover students short in this requirement or that requirement. Then panic sets in. And panic is never good!

The first year of Guild exams, I invited other Guild teachers to come in and talk to me and to my students, so we all knew what was involved. And they all had very positive outlooks and attitudes, so we knew that it was just a matter of preparation and staying on task.

The question you raise, how to broach this with the teacher, is a human relations question, not a teaching question. So hopefully, many teachers and students will chime in with ideas.

Personally, I would effuse over how happy you are that you son will be able to do the exam and if he passes, great, and if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world, at least you'll all know what has to be focused on for next time. And as Rocket88 (or should we call him Olds?) noted, this is obviously not the teacher's forte, so plan on being actively involved in the years to come.

#1471894 - 07/10/10 06:05 PM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: John v.d.Brook]
tranquillo Offline

Are Guild syllabi available to students who would like to have one? Reason I ask is the requirements are not always clear to me and last minute clarity is too late. Thanks for considering.

#1471917 - 07/10/10 06:33 PM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: rocket88]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rocket88
Could it be that preparing students for exams is not the teacher's strong point?

That would be fair, I think. And I could live with it.

John and Tranquillo - Thankyou for your thoughts. I know not this 'guild' of which you speak.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1471918 - 07/10/10 06:35 PM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: John v.d.Brook]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
And as Rocket88 (or should we call him Olds?) noted...

Actually, this is where I got the name:

"Rocket 88" is a rhythm and blues song that was first recorded at Sam Phillips' recording studio in Memphis, Tennessee, in March 1951. In 1991, after a great deal of debate, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame recognized this as the first Rock and Roll song ever recorded.

From Wikipedia and Songfacts.

#1471961 - 07/10/10 07:54 PM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: ten left thumbs]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
John and Tranquillo - Thankyou for your thoughts. I know not this 'guild' of which you speak.

Piano Guild is essentially an American institution dating back nearly a century. It's focus is more on qualitative aspects of student playing than book knowledge. I don't know whether it's founder, Irl Allison, who by the way founded the Van Cliburn competition as well, knew of the Associated Boards and its derivatives.

#1472005 - 07/10/10 09:41 PM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

This teacher should have asked you if you could take longer lessons to accommodate those technical requirements. He probably hasn't had many students do exams and is worried that you'll quit if your son's mark is lower than expected. YOU may think it's no big deal if your son has to redo an exam or brush up on areas in which he failed. YOUR SON will likely take the mark very much to heart as an indication of where he stands as a musician. Naturally, your teacher wants the best for your son. Now that the exam is over, I wouldn't talk to your teacher about it. I'd see how he guides your son in the next month.

On some level, I find exams anxiety producing. For weeks, you can never tell if a student will be ready for that day. Students often decide to get sick one or two weeks before an exam because of their own anxiety, putting you as a teacher even further behind.

#1472145 - 07/11/10 04:44 AM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: Candywoman]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I sense some breakdown in communication. There is a triangle of communication among the teacher, the parent, and the student. Each party needs to articulate his goals, questions, and concerns clearly to each other.

Are you sure your expectations for the exam are the same as your son's expectations? Or the teacher's expectations?

#1472377 - 07/11/10 03:14 PM Re: how to deal with anxious teacher [Re: Candywoman]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Candywoman
This teacher should have asked you if you could take longer lessons to accommodate those technical requirements.

Interesting idea. It would be entirely reasonable to dedicate another 15 minutes lesson time to aural work, etc - but I don't think he has the time, and I certainly don't have the money. So if it came to that, the sensible solution would be to delegate the aural work to me, which is basically what has happened. smile

Quote:
He probably hasn't had many students do exams and is worried that you'll quit if your son's mark is lower than expected. YOU may think it's no big deal if your son has to redo an exam or brush up on areas in which he failed. YOUR SON will likely take the mark very much to heart as an indication of where he stands as a musician.

I know he is very worried that something will happen to sap my son's morale (he is normally very enthusiastic) and I would never force him to continue if he didn't want to. I understand this. But I don't think the answer is to never enter him for an exam he wants to do.

Quote:

Naturally, your teacher wants the best for your son. Now that the exam is over, I wouldn't talk to your teacher about it. I'd see how he guides your son in the next month.

Probably the best thing to do is to effuse how happy I am the exam went well, wait for results and certificate and celebrate that. I feel this teacher needs a bit of a boost. I wouldn't want to enter for another exam until next year anyway - maybe by then he will be less terrified by the prospect? And if I notice him transferring his own anxiety, maybe then I can have a quiet word and ask him to phone privately with any concerns.

There are a few issues behind this - I sit in on lessons normally (teacher's idea, and it works well) but sometimes I fear he teaches to me too much. Sometimes he gets us to do duets and things.

The other thing is I'm a trained counsellor, and try as I do to take that hat off (I've never told him what I do) I just seem to have this effect on people. I'm in the room, they talk about their feelings. It just happens, I don't mean it to. frown

Thanks for all ideas! smile

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
Today at 02:56 AM
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
Today at 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Who's Online
74 registered (AZNpiano, barbaram, bennevis, beet31425, Anja, 19 invisible), 1119 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157943 Topics
2319516 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission