2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Mattardo

What biological purpose does human homosexuality serve, how did it evolve, and for what purposes? I must have missed that chapter.

It's obvious to us all that you did. There is not a shortage of explanations for it. One primary one is that it emerged as a re-appropration of reproductive machinery (in the brain and of course also sexual organs) to serve purposes of male-male and female-female bonding.

In many species, there are members who contribute to reproduction on the big picture (sustainment and expansion of the whole population) rather than on an individual level. Think of worker bees, for example. If you have individuals contributing on this level, their reproductive functions are free to be applied to whatever they work well for. One thing they are good at is creating intimacy, strengthening trust, underlining emotional connections . . .

But, even if none of this were true, why on earth should we take the evolutionary functions of parts of our being to limit us as to what we use them for? Teeth evolved for breaking apart food, but primitive humans used their teeth as a general tool -- not just for food, but for helping to make tools and manipulate other things. Almost surely, that kind of flexibility in behavior played a central part in making us how successful we are.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Merely claiming it is not a politically correct issue, doesn't make it so - just as claiming certain behavior is normal, does not make it so.

However, your views/opinions/homophobia have nothing to do with political correctness. You've basically said so yourself without realizing it apparently. Political correctness just gives you a "deflector" that you can spend your time talking about rather than focusing on the fact that you just flat out don't like gays and find them to be freaks. Don't dress up your bias, because it makes you look even more pathetic.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
One of the reasons I leave threads like this open is that I think it's interesting to see how conversations evolve.....

Bravo!!

.....While we have been led down a few hackneyed paths (homosexuality), we've also touched on a few interesting issues: To what extent does politics enter into the situation....How perceptions of a artist's personal qualities affects people's experience of their works.
If a government turns a blind eye to illegal activity, should they share the blame for what happens?.....

Absolutely.
Thanks for being so flexible on it -- and very well said.

Look.
Suppose he meant something like contentious (which I think he did), but just happened to say controversial (which will do just fine).

You're quibbling about vocabulary.

....as if the human reproduction system is open to debate.....

I haven't read most of what's been said about this here (and don't care to), but, speaking as someone who's very schooled and very interested in biology, evolution, genetics, and sexuality, I can tell you that it's a mistake to look at sexuality only in terms of reproduction and assume that's its whole story.

And BTW I'm also speaking as someone who used to look at it essentially that way.

P.S. Charleslang's above post covers a big part of the counterargument extremely well.

Last edited by Mark_C; 07/10/10 07:26 PM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by chopinizmyhomeboy
One should not bash someone just because his or her opinion differs from yours, especially since Mattardo wasn't too rude about it.

Regardless of the appropriateness of that sort of name-calling, abjectly ignorant homophobic comments aren't simply a difference of opinion. And I don't see how you can think that calling people's behavior "aberrant" is anything but rude. It's pretty much the same as calling them freaks or monsters.

You equate the word "aberrant" with freaks and monsters?
I find that laughingly ridiculous.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

Merely claiming it is not a politically correct issue, doesn't make it so - just as claiming certain behavior is normal, does not make it so.

However, your views/opinions/homophobia have nothing to do with political correctness. You've basically said so yourself without realizing it apparently. Political correctness just gives you a "deflector" that you can spend your time talking about rather than focusing on the fact that you just flat out don't like gays and find them to be freaks. Don't dress up your bias, because it makes you look even more pathetic.

Yes, I spent a whole paragraph on it. Very insightful.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by charleslang

What biological purpose does human homosexuality serve, how did it evolve, and for what purposes? I must have missed that chapter.

It's obvious to us all that you did. There is not a shortage of explanations for it. One primary one is that it emerged as a re-appropration of reproductive machinery (in the brain and of course also sexual organs) to serve purposes of male-male and female-female bonding.

In many species, there are members who contribute to reproduction on the big picture (sustainment and expansion of the whole population) rather than on an individual level. Think of worker bees, for example. If you have individuals contributing on this level, their reproductive functions are free to be applied to whatever they work well for. One thing they are good at is creating intimacy, strengthening trust, underlining emotional connections . . .

But, even if none of this were true, why on earth should we take the evolutionary functions of parts of our being to limit us as to what we use them for? Teeth evolved for breaking apart food, but primitive humans used their teeth as a general tool -- not just for food, but for helping to make tools and manipulate other things. Almost surely, that kind of flexibility in behavior played a central part in making us how successful we are.

Yes, but we are talking about humans - not worker bees. If you want to talk about the many animals that change their sexes as needed, hive mentality, etc - that's okay, but they don't apply.
Your theory on the bonding sounds interesting, but doesn't appear to be essential to a species' survival - who proposed this theory?
Using teeth for things they weren't designed for is definately benificial if it gives an edge, but is still not a normal usage of them. It doesn't matter how beneficial my elbow is as a paintbrush, it wasn't designed to be used that way - therfore it's an abnormal usage.
I'm not saying you shouldn't use your elbow or teeth for operating vending machines, I'm just saying it's not normal.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In the end - everyone has their own opinions on the matter, and nobody is going to have their mind changed over any of it. It was never my intention to do so. So easy to get off track because statements not readily agreed-upon have to be dissected and argued over. By the time it's done, their applicability has lost some of their immediacy and charm, if they ever had any.

Everyone will justify their own actions, no matter what they are - even Pletnev.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by charleslang

Yes, but we are talking about humans - not worker bees. If you want to talk about the many animals that change their sexes as needed, hive mentality, etc - that's okay, but they don't apply.

I didn't mention changing sexes or 'hive mentality', nor do I know what that even means. And if you want an example from humans, take nuns, or priests or vestal virgins in ancient Rome (or old folks generally). In these cases the reproductive systems are available for other uses (unfortunately in all except the last case they're mostly just wasted instead of finding another use).

Your theory on the bonding sounds interesting, but doesn't appear to be essential to a species' survival

And being essential to survival is what makes something normal? You mean like eating meat? Or bowling? Or surfing?

I'm not saying you shouldn't use your elbow or teeth for operating vending machines, I'm just saying it's not normal.

The only reason these applications sound silly is because we have other better ways to do these things.

Semi-pro pianist
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
What churches do within their denominations is their business since they are effectively private clubs with private rules. But there is no proposal by any group or politician in the USA that promotes the idea that any priest should be penalized for refusing to perform a same-sex marriage. To suggest otherwise is to traffic in rumors.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
In the end - everyone has their own opinions on the matter, and nobody is going to have their mind changed over any of it. It was never my intention to do so. So easy to get off track because statements not readily agreed-upon have to be dissected and argued over. By the time it's done, their applicability has lost some of their immediacy and charm, if they ever had any.

Everyone will justify their own actions, no matter what they are - even Pletnev.

It's a gloomy picture of things. Maybe it's just time for a rest.

Semi-pro pianist
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Jonathan Baker
But there is no proposal by any group or politician in the USA that promotes the idea that any priest should be penalized for refusing to perform a same-sex marriage. To suggest otherwise is to traffic in rumors.

True, there is no proposal at least that I've heard of. But it had to be made explicit - including through new legislation - that clergy could refuse in these cases legally, since anti-discrimination legislation already on the books, combined with newly legal homosexual unions, left open a possibility of pursuing prosecution.

I think the attitudes shown by at least one poster on this board ("cruel but fair") indicate that some legal challenge would have been made otherwise.

Last edited by charleslang; 07/10/10 08:44 PM.

Semi-pro pianist
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The government should get out of the marriage business where it has no compelling interest. Excepting underage minors who are subject to sexual abuse, the government has no persuasive argument to nullify or legally forbid the recognition of any personal union, straight or gay. Who would want their choice of a spouse to be subject to the condescending approval or
condemnation of any mere politician or bureaucrat?

Local city halls should register civil unions to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. Religious marriages may be left to any religious organization to perform as they please, but those unions should not have any legal hierarchy over civil unions.

Marriage as an "intellectual property right"? Traditionally, marriage has governed the right of a man's control over a woman the children they create, social standing, and the rights of inheritance. To quote Tina Turner, "What's love got to do with it?"

Black Americans (slaves) in America were forbidden to marry for five hundred years (the Bible, regrettably, sanctions slavery in the Book of Leviticus), and right of interracial couples to marry has been recognized only since 1967!

The entire marriage argument is largely as mask for the real issue: who gets the sinister thrill of being able to control the levers of power over other citizens.

Last edited by Jonathan Baker; 07/10/10 10:56 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The entire Pletnev situation is tragic from every perspective. I have no idea about Pletnev's sexual preferences (nor do I care, actually), or the veracity of the charges leveled against him, so I choose not to proffer speculation about that. The whole sordid matter will unfold in the Thailand courts (heaven only knows what their "due process" consists of...)and we will all read about it in the press.

On a note previously struck in this particular thread - there is a defensive posture by some to rebuff the claim that many pianist are somewhat "effeminate".

I have had many male piano students through the years who were comparatively effeminate (effeminate in comparison to, say, James Cagney). Why is being effeminate considered a bad thing? Perhaps the prejudice lies in the perception of power. Effeminacy is associated with women, and traditionally women have had no power. Id est, anything "effeminate" or female-like is "bad" because it is in a lesser power position.

We are no longer in stone age or even in the Age of Bronze, so can we move the discussion of human value to a new level not based solely on idolization of brute physical power?

So what if Chopin was rather effeminate, and not stomping around like Theodore Roosevelt? Some men are effeminate. So what of it? What's the problem? Why should we value them less?

Zeroing in more specifically on the entire homosexuals-at-the-keyboard issue: If there were no homosexuals in the arts there would be no Broadway, no Hollywood, and the classical music scene would be reduced in half at a minimum. It is true that there is a preponderance of gays in the arts, and apparently this has always been the case.

Horowitz made no secret of his preference for men and neither did Earl Wild. A new biography of Richter discusses his homosexuality. I don't feel it is my place to 'out' other pianists, but if you are inclined to do so, type the name of the top concert pianists of the past fifty years into Google along with the word "gay" or "homosexual" and note how many legitimate books and news articles appear on screen addressing the matter. You may find the results surprising.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here's what I've discovered... those who argue the loudest against homosexuality, usually have something to hide, either consciously or subconsciously.

The angrier and louder the rhetoric, the more those spewing it back themselves into their own dark hole - so to speak. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jonathan Baker
Slaves in America were forbidden to marry for five hundred years (the Bible, regrettably, sanctions slavery in the Book of Leviticus), and right of interracial couples to marry has been recognized only since 1967!

The entire marriage argument is largely as mask for the real issue: who gets the sinister thrill of being able to control the levers of power over other citizens.

Brilliant and spot on! smile

It's easy to justify a position - just watch cable news! What's far more difficult is to explore a position, to search for an understanding instead of passing judgment or picking a side.

If there's one thing I don't like about political and social discourse in the United States, it's that everyone thinks that the way to tackle an issue is:

1) Pick a side (based on whatever...political leanings, ideological theories, religious principles, etc...)
2) Become an advocate
3) Defend it
4) Attack the opposition

That's fine for football, but I don't see much social or civic progress coming out of it.

Instead of picking sides, I wish people would explore the issues a little more fully. Take this thread for example - has anyone looked into the demographics of pedophiliacs? Are pedophiliacs more likely to be involved in the arts? Homosexual? Russian? Pianists?

Has there been an update on the case?

There's this...

And this...

And this...

And has anyone bothered to check in to how the Thai legal system works? What kind of due process is there? What kind of evidence is there? We've heard rumors of pictures, which Pletnev admits, but he also says somewhere the pictures don't depict anything prurient, so?

I plan on following the case and posting updates. I count myself among those who enjoy his recordings. If he's innocent, I sincerely hope he continues to record and enjoy his successful career. If not, I hope they lock him up and use his money to combat child prostitution in Thailand. And regardless, I hope everyone takes something away from our discussion of the issues besides having simply picked and argued a side.

Let's learn a little.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
BTW, it just so happens that Stephen Hough (a homosexual pianist who converted to catholicism; how "abnormal" is that?!!) has a recent entry in his blog that comments on issues similar to those at hand in this thread.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/cultur...eather-balls-sideburns-and-jeffrey-john/

Originally Posted by eweiss
Here's what I've discovered... those who argue the loudest against homosexuality, usually have something to hide, either consciously or subconsciously....

Even speaking as someone 'on your side' (and a shrink, FWIW), IMO that's a tough statement to support or defend. Sure, there are many instances where it's true (include some famous ones in recent years), but as a broad statement......I don't see how you or anyone can assert that, except as a speculation.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission