Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1472576 - 07/11/10 09:23 PM Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Hello, friends!

Here are two pictures of my new rescue project--an old Haddorff upright.

If you are in the mood for corn-ball humor, give a listen to my 3 minute, 22 second documentary. *ahem*

WARNING: This piano is not in tune. Please do not listen to these selections if you are offended or sickened by an out of tune piano! ...Or corny behavior! ...Or piano tuning jokes! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Haddorff Postcard: a short documentary (Includes 1st section of Joplin's "Weeping Willow," and last section of "Swipesy."

Deep Purple (DeRose/Parish, 1935) (One of my grandmother's favorites. Introduction and 1st verse played as written, 2nd verse played as my grandma often played it.)

Enjoy it, if you can!

--Andy

P.S. I can't wait for Bill Bremmer to get his hands on this piano! grin Holy moly, is it going to sound GOOD!

#1472596 - 07/11/10 10:05 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Cinnamonbear]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
wow, the sound is so full, very nice! Great weeping willow, those were nice chops!

And ONLY 100 bucks for these nice tones, LOL !!!

Man, fix and tune that piano ASAP!! smile

Working on: music

#1472602 - 07/11/10 10:21 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: al-mahed]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Cute Andy! Setting here cracking up. Great humor. I can hear the potential that piano has! Love mine! The tuning isn't so red hot but, it's not off from pitch (I didn't say TUNE) in the tenor as badly as what I would have expected. The Treble on the other hand??????? grin
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1472663 - 07/12/10 01:09 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Andy, that was great! Sounds to me like you got a real bargain.

cheers,

Jim

#1472887 - 07/12/10 11:49 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Palindrome]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Oh man!!! I'd love to have a piano like this to practice on my tuning. Btw, excellent playing! smile

#1472891 - 07/12/10 12:01 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Cinnamonbear]
elecmuse3 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
I guess we'll have to add a RBFT tuning thread.
Or maybe one for FBHC (flooded basement half-century since tuning).
Make up your own description. Though RBFT seems really good.

Greatly enjoyed the performance!

#1473005 - 07/12/10 04:09 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: elecmuse3]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Andy, that's great! VERY funny!
From this demonstration, your reporting of the recent piano competition, and your comments on this forum in general - I really hope you're planning on giving us a weekly radio show or podcast dealing with music! I'll tune in every week!
Come on... say you will!

#1473008 - 07/12/10 04:12 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Mattardo]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Speaking of grandmother's favorites - wouldn't it be nice to see a thread dedicated to such recordings? I think many of us would find it a kick to report on what our elders really enjoyed, and then forced us to play for them every time they visited, to justify the money they spent on lessons. My Great Uncle like Star of the East.

Fantastic playing, by the way!

#1473198 - 07/12/10 10:16 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Mattardo]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Andy, that is sooo cool!

Music is my best friend.

#1473210 - 07/12/10 10:44 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Mattardo]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
[...]Great weeping willow, those were nice chops![...]

Thanks, al-mahed! I'm working on a full version of Weeping Willow to post soon. I know it's out of tune. It sounds so wrong, but it sounds so right! LOL! Plus, this piano is really fun to play! The action lets me do things I can't do on the Lester!

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
[...]I can hear the potential that piano has! Love mine! The tuning isn't so red hot but, it's not off from pitch (I didn't say TUNE) in the tenor as badly as what I would have expected. The Treble on the other hand??????? grin

Hey, Jerry! I was suprised, too, when I put the tuning fork to it how close it was to pitch. I really like the sound of the last low F in Deep Purple. The richness of the sound is what drew me to this piano--that, and the action is really nice!

Originally Posted By: Palindrome
[...]Sounds to me like you got a real bargain.[...]

Yes, Palindrome! My wife said, "Well, at least it's not a Ferrari!" Also, the guy at the local piano store is still pretty ripped at me for opting for the free Schiller from my neighbor instead of a multi-thousand dollar piano from him! he-he-he...

Originally Posted By: LisztAddict
Oh man!!! I'd love to have a piano like this to practice on my tuning.[...]

LA--Please feel free to drop by anytime you are in the neighborhood! After hearing that fresh EBVT III on your last recording, I'd be glad to have you practice your tuning on any of my rescue projects! laugh

Originally Posted By: elecmuse3
I guess we'll have to add a RBFT tuning thread.
Or maybe one for FBHC (flooded basement half-century since tuning).
Make up your own description. Though RBFT seems really good.[...]

LOL! Elecmuse3, I noticed your e-mail and looked up the web-site. Do you have a drawer full of salvaged hammers and hammer parts? Like, say, B7 or C8 perhaps?

Originally Posted By: Mattardo
Andy, that's great! VERY funny!
From this demonstration, your reporting of the recent piano competition, and your comments on this forum in general - I really hope you're planning on giving us a weekly radio show or podcast dealing with music! I'll tune in every week!
Come on... say you will!

Hey, Mattardo! What a nice thing to say! grin Well...how 'bout if I share my experiences about fixing up the pianos? Since I am pretty much of a blank slate when it comes to piano technology, and somewhat of a clutz, it might result in a few laughs! Tim Allen meets Piano World! Have you ever seen this?:

Laurel and Hardy YouTube clip from "The Music Box"

I am Stan Laurel at 21 seconds! I think it was "Little Blue Engine," who posts on PW, that has the signature "I'll figure it out eventually. Until then, you may want to keep a safe distance!" I love that line!

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
Andy, that is sooo cool!

Thank you, CA! Much appreciated! laugh

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (07/12/10 10:46 PM)

#1473221 - 07/12/10 11:03 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Mattardo]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mattardo
Speaking of grandmother's favorites - wouldn't it be nice to see a thread dedicated to such recordings? I think many of us would find it a kick to report on what our elders really enjoyed, and then forced us to play for them every time they visited, to justify the money they spent on lessons. My Great Uncle like Star of the East. [...]

I LOVE this idea, Mattardo! I remember when I first sight-read "Deep Purple." I must have been about 13 years old. My grandma was in the kitchen snickering...and I could hear her! I said, "What?" And she said, "Oh, nothing! I just like hearing you work through it!" It was stiff, halting, wrong notes everywhere...I had no idea where the melody was on the page, despite hearing her play it several times. She played it a slow rag. I was just trying to get through the page the way it was written! She didn't really read music. Or, perhaps I should say, she was never deliberate about following what was printed... She read enough to get the idea, then played the hell out of it! LOL! She "improved" a lot of music from the 20s, 30, and 40s!

I would like to see such a thread devoted to things our elders wanted to hear us play...but also, things they played for us! It was always a special time visiting my grandma, because she played such fun stuff. My sister, two cousins, and I would pester her until she'd play. She'd say, "Well, what do you want to hear?" And we'd say, "ANYTHING!" laugh

#1473287 - 07/13/10 02:42 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Andy, Brilliant! thank you. You are a very funny man.
And I actually like the tuning. I think of it as the Scout Hall piano sound, and if I find a piano like this in my travels I always try it out.

Lovely playing too, esp 2nd half of deep purple (where it goes all swing-y).

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1475300 - 07/16/10 02:22 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Canonie]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Canonie!

That authentic "Scout Hall" piano sound! LOL! Indeed!

I wish you could have heard my grandma play Deep Purple. She had a much richer, more interesting way to play the bass line in a slow rag pattern with rolls--it was truly beautiful.

#1475806 - 07/16/10 08:54 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Cinnamonbear]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Andy - I've been out of town - and am still working from someone else's computer. Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention. You are a clever guy indeed - and I'm impressed by your piano "stylings." I really was taken with your performance of Deep Purple. Great job !!

And when that beautiful old war horse of a piano gets worked over a bit its going to be a formidable instrument. For a mere $100 you've just bought yourself the upright equivalent of an old M&H BB. Congratulations!!

Also - did Joplin actually "sign" the piano ??? grin

#1475883 - 07/17/10 12:03 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Cinnamonbear]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
After hearing that fresh EBVT III on your last recording, I'd be glad to have you practice your tuning on any of my rescue projects! laugh

I'll bring my Fujan the next time I am up that way. laugh

#1476369 - 07/18/10 01:52 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: carey]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey
[...]Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention.[...]

I figured you'd want to hear it, since you were the one to name my spinet "The Mighty Lester!" laugh

Originally Posted By: carey
[...]Also - did Joplin actually "sign" the piano ??? grin

We shall see...

#1476492 - 07/18/10 10:55 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard with Deep Purple [Re: Cinnamonbear]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
That piano belonged to a weeping willow grin

Working on: music

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (AndrewJCW, ajames, ando, AndresD, 39 invisible), 1806 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75599 Members
42 Forums
156310 Topics
2295681 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
07/31/14 03:39 PM
Carrying Bah for Rokit 6 G3 monitors?
by Mta88
07/31/14 03:39 PM
Supplemental instruction?
by TwoSnowflakes
07/31/14 03:15 PM
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
07/31/14 12:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission