Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 49 of 124 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 123 124 >
Topic Options
#1011550 - 08/26/08 02:20 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Jazz Mallets Offline

Loc: North Carolina
jazzwee,

I looked into the Galper book on the Aebersold website (you can see a few pages) and it looks interesting. But I'm still working on the Mark Levine piano jazz book and I've only gotten to chapter 23. That's good stuff, but it's a lot to think about. (I loved the chapters on the melodic minor scale variations and on upper structures.)

Help! I'm getting too much information!

Tom

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1011551 - 08/26/08 04:51 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Tom, you're in a pretty heavy section so you'll need to concentrate. We won't distract you.

I frequently forget my melodic minor modes and have to keep refreshing my memory.

#1011552 - 08/26/08 10:59 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
simon288 Offline

Loc: london
Hi Jazzwee,

Talk about being late for the party! Way back on the first page I posted that Autumn leaves was too advanced for me, but I've given the first bit a go and played it on a Rhodes stage piano. I'm gonna have to find some time to read through this thread to follow all the advice. I don't know why I'm posting this really (because this thread has moved on big time) but wanted to join in! I suppose next step is to get on to improvising with it, and also play it in different styles so I'll have a listen to some more examples.

http://www.box.net/shared/bor2jrex2t
Bill Evans spoke of the "universal mind" that exists in all people, if they can learn to think in the language that the universal mind uses -- a musical language that remains alive and well today, still scintillating, still expanding, still showing those who can hear it the depths of ecstasy and pain and life and love.

#1011553 - 08/27/08 12:02 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Nicely played simon288! Smooth relaxed feel.
With that setup I want to here you improvise!

Love that Rhodes . . . every other week I regret selling my 88 keys Stage Piano.

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1011554 - 08/27/08 12:15 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
simon288 Offline

Thanks Chrisbell! I love playing it - I've still got to go through the improvising advice on here yet. It's such a nice thing to play - I've always been addicted to Rhodes!
Bill Evans spoke of the "universal mind" that exists in all people, if they can learn to think in the language that the universal mind uses -- a musical language that remains alive and well today, still scintillating, still expanding, still showing those who can hear it the depths of ecstasy and pain and life and love.

#1011555 - 08/27/08 12:37 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Simon - WOW!!!! You are a natural for this stuff. You are not late for the party. It's an ongoing event. Keep posting here.

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1011556 - 08/27/08 12:51 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
simon288 Offline

Wow thankyou Swingin Barb! Trying to hunt through the thread now to listen to others.

#1011557 - 08/27/08 01:03 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
simon288 Offline

Swingin Barb Just listened through your music on your site. You play beautifully and you also play my favorite My foolish heart which I'm struggling with at the moment

#1011558 - 08/27/08 01:11 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

DUO DEBUT

Talk is cheap. We can talk ourselves blue in the face regarding theory. As Jazz Mallets was leaving for work this morning, he said "We need feedback". So, here we are with Misty.

http://www.box.net/shared/164l2i7ea5

Over the past 30 years, Tom has had a breathing problem. Too many notes - not enough pauses. He is working hard to overcome this problem.

The comping is new for me. I am doing it in a structured way for now. As I feel more comfortable with the rhythms, I will try for a more relaxed improvisational comping technique. (I am getting some help with this stuff.)

We want to someday play for retirement homes and private parties. Our audience will not be heavy jazzer types.

We value your feedback in helping us reach our goals.

Thanks so much.

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1011559 - 08/27/08 01:27 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
knotty Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
You guys are ready for the gig right now!

This was real good. The vibes' sound is amazingly rich, and Tom's solo is excellent.

what else do you have on the list?

#1011560 - 08/27/08 01:43 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Knotty, You are so kind. Thank you.

I have managed to work up a comping repertoire of 4 songs. Besides Misty, we have:

Teach Me Tonight
Imagination
Don't Get Around Much Anymore (great for retirement homes)

Tom has a large rep and I need to just learn his tunes one by one. Plus, he needs to brush up on his comping for when I take the melody. We're in no rush to play out.

#1011561 - 08/27/08 09:15 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Jazz Mallets Offline

Simon288,

I loved your sound. That takes me back almost 40 years and is still a very sweet sound. Thanks for sharing that.

knotty,

Your words of encouragement are music to my ears. Thank you.

Tom

#1011562 - 08/27/08 10:28 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by Swingin' Barb:
DUO DEBUT

...We want to someday play for retirement homes...
[/b]
OK, buy me a cane and some trifocals, pack me up, and ship me off to the retirement home; I'm ready to sit back and listen!

I've got a name for the Duo: Good Vibes and Barb!

(You'll have to do a few uptempo tunes to be The Dynamic Duo!)

Very enjoyable. I liked the way you switched between comping styles. Great ending.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1011563 - 08/27/08 11:17 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Ed,

Thank you for listening to our debut. We have a long road to travel here. Yes, we need some uptempo stuff. Don't Get Around Much Anymore we're taking at a rollicking 90 bpm \:D

We have decided on a name for our duo. It is being kept secret for a while. I'll give you a hint, though -- it's a pet name that we called each other in college (FSU)-- before we were married. :2hearts:

#1011564 - 08/27/08 07:09 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hi guys, Simon and Barb, I heard great stuff! I'll check in tomorrow, I'm a little tied up right now.

#1011565 - 08/28/08 12:25 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by simon288:
Hi Jazzwee,

Talk about being late for the party! Way back on the first page I posted that Autumn leaves was too advanced for me, but I've given the first bit a go and played it on a Rhodes stage piano. I'm gonna have to find some time to read through this thread to follow all the advice. I don't know why I'm posting this really (because this thread has moved on big time) but wanted to join in! I suppose next step is to get on to improvising with it, and also play it in different styles so I'll have a listen to some more examples.

http://www.box.net/shared/bor2jrex2t [/b]
Hi Simon, thanks for posting that. Loved it! You have the right feel for this. There is no late time BTW as there are many people who have joined this thread at various stages. As you go through the lessons, you can ask the questions here. I don't have any advice on your rendition of AL as it sounds great to me.

Now just so you're aware, voicings are typically different from EP to Acoustic Piano with Piano being able to support fuller voices. EP's often require more open voicings. Just something to keep in mind as you go through the lessons. We're glad to have you hear and keep posting.

Everyone improves when they post. What each person thinks is the worst they've ever done is often a big improvement over the last version. What we don't realize is that as we become a critic of ourselves, we are recognizing what needs fixing and by the point the problem is already solved.

So please attempt doing improvisations. Do simple things first and see what happens.

Good luck!

#1011566 - 08/28/08 12:28 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Barb and Tom, that's great what you're doing. There's nothing like going for it and putting the show on the road to begin pushing the learning. You have a built-in combo that I wish I had. Good luck and you'll be better than all of us here soon enough because of the experience you will gain from it.

#1011567 - 08/28/08 02:27 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you, Jazzwee. It makes us feel good to know we are pointed in the right general direction. \:\) \:\)

#1011568 - 08/28/08 02:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm jealous Barb, I need to take the whip and convert my kids to jazz, then I could potentially have a combo. But Metal -> Jazz, big jump \:D

#1011569 - 08/28/08 11:26 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Be patient, Jazzwee. It took you HOW MANY decades to refine your musical tastes and finally decide to learn jazz? Your kids may still get into jazz at some later decade. And you will be years old. Better late than never! There may be some fun family gatherings in store for you after you are empty nested. \:D

#1011570 - 08/29/08 01:42 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My son (now 20) plays drums in a punk-rock band; sort of Blink 182/Green Day. I turned him onto jazz via the drummer Billy Cobham > Gene Krupa > Steve Gadd > Dave Weckl. Anything loud and fast always impresses them when they're young.
Anyhow, those Metal musicians are wicked instrumentalists! Maybe you should play some jazz solos on a keyboard over some Metal cd. Play it loud and let them discover it.

#1011571 - 08/29/08 03:08 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Kid does like MMW (Medeseki-Martin-Wood) so there's at least a chance...

#1011572 - 08/31/08 08:32 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Jazz Mallets Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Riddler:
There is a file on LJP about using pentatonics n Satin Doll. It actually simplifies the improvisation because you can use the same pentatonic on the iim7 as you use on the V7. It turns out that you can use the same scale for several measures.
[/b]
I would like to harken back to Ed's comment about using the pentatonic scale in improvisation:

I just read Mark Levine's chapter (in the jazz piano theory book) about the pentatonic scale. He said that you can use the same pentatonic scale on all 3 of the chords in the iim7-v7-imaj7 chord pattern. The kicker was that, for example in the key of C, it's not the C pentatonic scale you play, but the G pentatonic scale. He used a process of elimination like this:

Dm7 - no avoid notes
G7 - avoid C
Cmaj7 - avoid F

So, if you eliminate the C and the F from the C major scale, what do you get? The G pentatonic: G-A-B-D-E.

Levine shows some nice examples of this, but admits that it may wear thin eventually. Nevertheless, he points out that Coltrane's Giant Steps, long considered an extremely difficult tune, can be played with just 3 pentatonic scales.

Tom

#1011573 - 09/03/08 09:28 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So whilst all of you are practising those pentatonics, here's a free online Jazz Rhythm course.
As my practising focus these days are on my rhythm (apart from practising right-hand runs in thirds and sixths) playing. Doing research I came across these above mentioned pages. Great stuff. Check out his piano technique pages, he knows what he's talking about.

#1011574 - 09/03/08 12:07 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
KHZ Offline

Loc: Amsterdam
Anyone got any tips for MIDI resources for jazz piano?

I've recently started taking jazz lessons, pretty cool stuff \:\) . Currently working on Mack the Knife and keeping the voicing simple (chord every beat LH) so I can concentrate a bit more on improvising and soloing.

Will certainly have a look at Autumn Leaves the coming time.

#1011575 - 09/03/08 12:45 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What specifically are you looking for?

#1011576 - 09/04/08 12:23 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

KHZ, let me refer you to LearnJazzPiano.com which has a lot of MIDI's and such. But you'll have to search a little. There's a lot of them.

But seriously speaking, this stuff just gives you an intro and watching the MIDI's doesn't really give you enough to pick up on. It's better to just learn from the actual masters. I have to same advice related to YouTube videos. Although it's fun to compare with others on the same jazz journey, it's the masters that will excite you and teach you so set your eyes to a higher goal, if you will.

Although this thread says "Autumn Leaves", it really is a general jazz thread with the sample tune being AL. You apply the same concepts explained here to any jazz tune. ANY.

Ask away if there is anything you want to know and realize that there's enough in this thread to have a little book.

#1011577 - 09/05/08 06:17 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisbell:
So whilst all of you are practising those pentatonics, here's a free online Jazz Rhythm course.
As my practising focus these days are on my rhythm (apart from practising right-hand runs in thirds and sixths) playing. Doing research I came across these above mentioned pages. Great stuff. Check out his piano technique pages, he knows what he's talking about. [/b]
Chris, your comments hit home with me. My teacher has certainly changed focus on me and he's just about criticized every so-called jazz expert on Youtube as having rhythmic problems or mediocre playing.

He told me to study this youtube video instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8CDtEVNFNc&feature=related

It was a very interesting because he's asking me to study the groove here and how relaxed Chick Corea and company are in this uptempo tune. I think he just echoed what you said. It is the accuracy of time that differentiates the mediocre from the masters. Now I can understand what you went through in your class. Watching that video shows me a whole different class of playing and I view it in a different light now.

Now admitedly it's a whole different level than what I was focused on but the fact that he points me in this direction is kind of cool. It's like saying, I can do this so focus on it and take myself closer to the level of the masters. I thought I had to settle for mediocre. It was good to hear.

#1011578 - 09/06/08 06:02 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

wow, not bad. Interesting to see how high CC sits. I have been experimenting with different heights as well as discussing this with other pianists. It seems everybody has their take on it.

Yep, it seems I've become totally obsessed with cut time, sub-divisions; it's amazing by slowing down the inner beat one can actually play faster.

Here's another great example of a trios ability to throw the beat around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev5pxmsUzus

#1011579 - 09/08/08 12:53 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I don't think he sits that high Chris. His arm is pretty straight to me. But Chick's perception and awareness of the music is so far out. I cannot comprehend at that speed.

Is there an exercise to slowing down the inner beat? Just feel the pulse in half time?

Lately, I've been very conscious of where to put the notes within a beat. I like to vary it so it's constantly changing. I think that it has an effect of improving time too because of that extra awareness/consciousness. I picked it from my teacher and from listening to Fred Hersch, and it can also be heard in Brad Melhdau (his student).

As an effect that I notice that even when I don't actually swing in solo playing, the positioning of the note implies the swing. I've seen others do this but they position their notes in the same spot, either ahead or behind the beat. The constantly changing position has a different dynamic to it and almost has a tension-release effect. This seems to be an almost signature style of Fred Hersch.

For others not aware of Fred Hersch, I suggest you check him out. He's a fantastic player. One of the best.

Page 49 of 124 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 123 124 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (ando, accordeur, Atrys, AmateurBob, 40 invisible), 1584 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155827 Topics
2288215 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New to the digital piano world! Can anyone help?
by blackwhitekeys
Today at 06:26 AM
Yamaha Swap For Roland ???
by musicmad
Today at 05:57 AM
midi over the internet
by chopin_r_us
Today at 04:56 AM
Theoretical tuning sequence
by DoelKees
Today at 01:01 AM
It's will never emit sounds again
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission