Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1475301 - 07/16/10 02:24 AM Re: Adding MIDI: Which is Better? Pianodisc or QRS Pnoscan? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
electone2007 Offline

Loc: Philippines
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
So, if I'm understanding correctly, you would use this software to program and configure the QRS hardware, but you do not need to be running the software all of the time. Correct?

Spot on. Once you've configured it, you don't need to fire up the software.

The software has NO documentation AT ALL. Nada. You either have to figure out for yourself what the parameters mean, or you have to call MIDI9 and ask them to guide you step by step through the telephone, or email.

Edited by electone2007 (07/16/10 02:30 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1475302 - 07/16/10 02:25 AM Re: Adding MIDI: Which is Better? Pianodisc or QRS Pnoscan? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
electone2007 Offline

Is the mute rail Yamaha factory installed or a third party add-on? Thanks.

Factory.

#1475303 - 07/16/10 02:28 AM Re: Adding MIDI: Which is Better? Pianodisc or QRS Pnoscan? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
electone2007 Offline

One dealer I spoke with recommended the QRS PNOScan for the MIDI and Pianodisc for the mute rail.

Would this work? http://www.pianodisc.com/products/details.aspx?id=69261

In fact, I've been through this route. I called PianoDisc time and again for a quote for their mute rail, but they kept referring me to the dealer located in my country. The local dealer always says she'd get back to me but she never did. So I gave up.

#1475356 - 07/16/10 07:34 AM Re: Adding MIDI: Which is Better? Pianodisc or QRS Pnoscan? [Re: electone2007]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: electone2007

Of course, I've already asked QRS for an upright hammer stopper but they said they don't have it. No mention also of assembly on demand. They told me they'll get back to me once they have one available for uprights.

My Yamaha upright has a mute rail. But, of course, if you engage it, it affects touch very significantly and this screws up the velocity curve configuration. It doesn't work for me.

You've stated elsewhere that your mute rail is factory installed. It seems very strange to me that a Yamaha factory installed mute rail wouldn't work properly.

Do you have the following installed, or something else?

"Yamaha QuickEscapeâ„¢ Action and Piano Mute Rail
When you engage the Piano Mute Rail, the hammers will not strike the strings, allowing you to play MIDI sounds or the onboard digital voices without hearing the acoustic piano. The exclusive QuickEscape action mechanism provides a consistent touch in either the piano mute mode or acoustic mode. These two features instantly convert the Silent Piano into the perfect MIDI controller or multi-track recording instrument."

I'm wondering why you would have factory installed mute rail, but not factory installed MIDI? There really isn't any point, is there, to a mute rail being installed with no MIDI being installed? (By mute rail, I'm meaning you engage it, and only hear the action of the piano, not to be confused with the muffler where felt is added between the hammers and strings, so it is softer, but you still hear the piano sound. Are we talking about the same thing here?)

Thanks so much! You seem to be the only other person on PW wanting to control digital keyboards / sampled pianos with an acoustic piano!

Lawrence

Edited by Melodialworks Music (07/16/10 07:45 AM)
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1475431 - 07/16/10 10:20 AM Re: Adding MIDI: Which is Better? Pianodisc or QRS Pnoscan? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
electone2007 Offline

Of course, I've already asked QRS for an upright hammer stopper but they said they don't have it. No mention also of assembly on demand. They told me they'll get back to me once they have one available for uprights.

My Yamaha upright has a mute rail. But, of course, if you engage it, it affects touch very significantly and this screws up the velocity curve configuration. It doesn't work for me.

You've stated elsewhere that your mute rail is factory installed. It seems very strange to me that a Yamaha factory installed mute rail wouldn't work properly.

Do you have the following installed, or something else?

"Yamaha QuickEscapeâ„¢ Action and Piano Mute Rail
When you engage the Piano Mute Rail, the hammers will not strike the strings, allowing you to play MIDI sounds or the onboard digital voices without hearing the acoustic piano. The exclusive QuickEscape action mechanism provides a consistent touch in either the piano mute mode or acoustic mode. These two features instantly convert the Silent Piano into the perfect MIDI controller or multi-track recording instrument."

I'm wondering why you would have factory installed mute rail, but not factory installed MIDI? There really isn't any point, is there, to a mute rail being installed with no MIDI being installed? (By mute rail, I'm meaning you engage it, and only hear the action of the piano, not to be confused with the muffler where felt is added between the hammers and strings, so it is softer, but you still hear the piano sound. Are we talking about the same thing here?)

Thanks so much! You seem to be the only other person on PW wanting to control digital keyboards / sampled pianos with an acoustic piano!

Lawrence

Hi, Lawrence!

We're not on the same page here. Cy and I were talking about a felt mute rail, not a hammer shank stopper like what you are describing. He said: "It's also possible to get felt mute rails and add them on. They don't cut the sound 100%, but it's something you can add yourself. I've also installed this device."

My factory installed felt strip mute rail works perfectly as intended, but since it doesn't cut off the sound 100%, it doesn't work for me.

Not to discourage you, but in my experience, the best way to control a piano instrument through MIDI would be through a digital piano hammer action keyboard, rather than an acoustic piano rigged up to spit MIDI data. The inconvenience of installing, configuring, regulating, mating velocity curve, and looking for a hammer shank stopper that works takes the joy out of the whole endeavor. Add to that the fact that no matter how you tweak PNOScan's velocity curve, it just doesn't give a response as good as a digital piano. That's just my experience. But who knows, you might be lucky.

#1475447 - 07/16/10 10:48 AM Re: Adding MIDI: Which is Better? Pianodisc or QRS Pnoscan? [Re: electone2007]
1000 Post Club Member

We're not on the same page here. Cy and I were talking about a felt mute rail, not a hammer shank stopper like what you are describing. He said: "It's also possible to get felt mute rails and add them on. They don't cut the sound 100%, but it's something you can add yourself. I've also installed this device."

My factory installed felt strip mute rail works perfectly as intended, but since it doesn't cut off the sound 100%, it doesn't work for me.

Not to discourage you, but in my experience, the best way to control a piano instrument through MIDI would be through a digital piano hammer action keyboard, rather than an acoustic piano rigged up to spit MIDI data. The inconvenience of installing, configuring, regulating, mating velocity curve, and looking for a hammer shank stopper that works takes the joy out of the whole endeavor. Add to that the fact that no matter how you tweak PNOScan's velocity curve, it just doesn't give a response as good as a digital piano. That's just my experience. But who knows, you might be lucky.

I'm hopeful that the Yamaha Silent Piano will be the solution - in which case there would be no "nstalling, configuring, regulating, mating velocity curve, and looking for a hammer shank stopper that works"! However, I'll of course, have to test it first.

My original plan was to use the Yamaha Avantgrand (N3) as a controller - nice Yamaha grand action, but it failed the test. Internally it uses greater resolution (which is one reason why is plays so well) but I guess when it is reduced down to the 127 MIDI levels (for MIDI OUT) something significant is lost. I found that when using the Avantgrand as a controller, I couldn't get soft enough or loud enough. This was having the Avantgrand and Roland keyboards directly connected. Possibly routing through a computer using Cubase, some velocity magic could be used. However, I can't possibly spend the $ required for Avantgrand (or Acoustic Piano with MIDI) for something that POSSIBLY might work. I have to KNOW that it will work.

So, my next option has been to consider acoustic pianos with MIDI added. (I actually hadn't even realized that this was possible). However, apart from the possible solution of Yamaha Silent Piano, this increasingly seems to not offer the solution I'm seeking. Bottom line is that I'd like to have the nice piano action to control my digital keyboard / sampled sounds.

I feel like I'm spinning my wheels . . .

#1475472 - 07/16/10 11:16 AM Re: Adding MIDI: Which is Better? Pianodisc or QRS Pnoscan? [Re: electone2007]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Got a Pianodisc myself and I can tell you the recording strip added a slight bit of extra weighting to the keys after installation and that the midi-pedal recording is indeed on/off. Which were pluses for me because I thought the key weighting was a little on the light side to start with. And my primary application is playback on the same acoustic instrument with occasional usage of high-end sample libraries. Neither of which benefit from continuous controller-styled pedal position data.

But if your primary intent is playing a Roland (or Yamaha) piano module, sounds like the QRS system would be a better fit for you because it generates pedal controller data these modules respond to. Btw, if what you're after is just using the Piano action to play the sound module, another possibility would be to remove the strings and harp from the piano rather than putting in a mute rail.

Howard

#1477658 - 07/20/10 07:35 AM Re: Adding MIDI: Which is Better? Pianodisc or QRS Pnoscan? [Re: hv]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hv
Btw, if what you're after is just using the Piano action to play the sound module, another possibility would be to remove the strings and harp from the piano rather than putting in a mute rail.

Actually, I'd like to do both (a) use the piano action as a MIDI controller, and (b) use the piano action to play the actual acoustic instrument. The best of both worlds is the goal!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, 39 invisible), 1743 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156267 Topics
2294936 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
20 minutes 21 seconds ago
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
Today at 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
Today at 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
Today at 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
Today at 03:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission