Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
123 registered (ando, accordeur, AndyJoe, 36251, angga888, 36 invisible), 1543 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1474312 - 07/14/10 04:50 PM "I dunno what to practice"
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Have you experienced this situation:

10 year old Johnny does not like to practice. So he tells his mom, "I don't know what I'm supposed to work on". Mom believes him, contacts me (his teacher), and asks for clarification.
I remind Mom that Johnny's assignments are written in his binder at each lesson. Dates and notes are written on pages of his pieces to work on, also. Johnny and I review his assignments at every lesson. I have told Mom this but she insisted that Johnny does not understand what to work on.
When I ask Johnny about this at his lessons, I get this response: "I don't like to practice, so I tell my mom I don't know what I'm supposed to work on". crazy
I have shared Johnny's comments with his mom and now she thinks the whole thing is funny.
Am I wasting my time or what?
Johnny is working out of Piano Adventures level 3A method, and some pop music of his choice.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1474326 - 07/14/10 05:11 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: Barb860]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Mom is wasting her money. I'm often tempted to say, "No reason to waste gas money, just send me the monthly check."

Seriously why don't you invite mom to sit in on a lesson, and then spend the entire lesson on how and what to practice, what order, how to evaluate practice, etc.?

#1474335 - 07/14/10 05:30 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Haha John! Love it!. Though I'd never say it.

I would ask the mom to arrive 5 minutes early to pick up Johnny and listen as you recap with her and him what he is supposed to be working on, pointing to each item in the assignment notebook. Ask them if either of them are unsure of what is supposed to be done during the week, and if no questions send them on their way.

Also, have the mother go through the practice sessions with him, making sure that he does each of the items on the list. Tell her how often you think he should be practicing. I know every day is ideal, but that might be hard for someone who never practices. I usually get kids started by asking they practice more days than they don't, without missing more than one day in between - so basically every other day.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1474367 - 07/14/10 06:18 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: Morodiene]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The reason I suggested having mom sitting in on the lesson and then focusing exclusively on practice, is that mom obviously doesn't know what's involved, and just telling her isn't sufficient. I think she really needs to see it to grasp what's involved.

#1474389 - 07/14/10 06:52 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I have asked Mom to sit in on lessons but she says this is not possible because she has 4 other young children, including an infant. My student is age 10 and her oldest. He was doing very well the first year of lessons, but recently he's losing interest and not practicing. I sense some rebellion and him taking advantage of things--being manipulative.

#1474423 - 07/14/10 08:06 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: Barb860]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
John, I understand and agree with mom sitting in. Since that's not possible on a regular basis, however, perhaps she'd be able to do it just once. I think even that would help, and then come 5 minutes earlier for the recap. My guess is that mom just says to Johny, "Go practice your piano" and he sits an dinks around for 10 minutes. Mom is too busy with the other 4 kids that she can't really monitor what he's doing, and he knows this. Perhaps it's an attention-getting ploy (which you don't necessarily want to encourage, but certainly it's an important thing for the boy to feel like he's getting enough attention). Anyways, it's beyond your jurisdiction. A talk with mom about participating more in his lessons and practice sessions, however, may go a long way to helping.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1474470 - 07/14/10 09:36 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: Morodiene]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Morodiene, I would have profited greatly - I mean really big time greatly - if my mom had sat in on just one of my lessons over the 10 years or so I was taking lessons during my public school years. As it was, I could and did constantly pull the wool over her eyes about practice, but in reality, was just short changing myself (I was a slow learner, didn't figure out I was just hurting myself until I reached college). And yes, I had three siblings who raised holy hell most of the time, so her hands were full.

That's why I personally stress to parents to get involved in their child's practice and why I make the effort to send home DVDs.

Would it be possible for dad/aunt/grandma/grandpa/sister to watch the children for just one lesson some mom could give her undivided attention to Johnny?

Without exception, my students who have at least one adult actively interested in student's lessons invariably out-perform those who do not. They don't have to be musical, though that helps, but most just interested and attentive!

#1474540 - 07/15/10 12:11 AM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

There might be a benefit to having his siblings hear you instruct the boy for the five minutes at the end of a lesson. He will have to look dutiful for his siblings, and the kids down the line will understand you mean business. Perhaps one of them will carry the torch.

#1474586 - 07/15/10 01:57 AM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: Candywoman]
yumo Offline

He may either need a break or some parental guidance. Either way, it's probably out of your control.

Edited by yumo (07/15/10 01:59 AM)

#1475601 - 07/16/10 02:25 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: yumo]
Andrew McLaughlin Offline

Time to find something else for Johnny to do. Obviously Piano is not his forté [sic]... :P

Piko

#1475631 - 07/16/10 03:32 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: Andrew McLaughlin]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andrew McLaughlin
Time to find something else for Johnny to do. Obviously Piano is not his forté [sic]... :P

Piko

I agree that this is probably the case. Johnny's mom wants him to continue with piano lessons for another year. Mom and I are stepping up the communication between the 2 of us. I am emailing Mom after each lesson to review and confirm exactly what is going on, which may seem over the top, but I think necessary in this situation.
She has a lot going on at home but realizes that even though Johnny is her oldest child and has been studying piano for 2 years, he still needs more of her support with piano progress.
His last 2 lessons went much better: Johnny is completing his assignments and has dropped the "attitude". I'm taking this one week at a time.

#1475647 - 07/16/10 03:51 PM Re: "I dunno what to practice" [Re: Barb860]
Andrew McLaughlin Offline

Good to know he's getting better. Did Johnny ever like Piano making this just a recent development? I know that when I was a kid, I really didn't enjoy it the older I got. It wasn't until college that I took on an appreciation for music, but switched to Guitar. It's only in the most recent 5 years that I've decided to really tackle Piano and master this art form.

As for my son, I'm going to take on a more classical approach to education (as we will be home schooling him). So, I'm in the process of building a conservatory which will be stocked with every kind of musical instrument that I can get my hands on (without breaking the bank). We'll see which one (or ones) he gravitates towards. smile

Piko

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
Today at 09:29 AM
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
Today at 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
Today at 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
Today at 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160033 Topics
2350133 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission