Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1476714 - 07/18/10 08:48 PM Is a Yamaha C3 from 1972 too old?
Meadowlark Offline

Hello,

I am new and this is my first post. I am a professional pianist looking for a medium-sized grand piano on a limited budget. I am wondering if a Yamaha C3 (6'1") built in 1972 is too old to buy. I have found one that is going for $6900. My technician says it is in very good condition, with only hammers needing to be re-shaped; crown is 3/32" to 1/8", tuning pins are fine. When I played some keys whose hammers he had re-shaped, I found that the sound went from way-too-bright to somewhat dull. He thought we should visit the piano again and see if it is possible to get just the right sound. He said that if I put a damp-chaser on it, that it could double the life of the piano.

Even if we got a sound that I loved after working with the hammers, I am afraid that the piano would begin to deteriorate after a few years since it is already 38 years old. Though I know that $6900 doesn't seem like much for a grand piano, I have never spent this much money on a piano before, and am nervous.

Thank you for any feedback.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1476726 - 07/18/10 09:11 PM Re: Is a Yamaha C3 from 1972 too old? [Re: Meadowlark]
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I would post this on the Tech Forum.

Edited by Stevester (07/18/10 09:11 PM)

anon

#1476759 - 07/18/10 10:12 PM Re: Is a Yamaha C3 from 1972 too old? [Re: Meadowlark]
YammyG2 Offline

Loc: PA
I recently purchased a 1977 Yamaha G2 Grand, 5'-7" in "excellent condition" for $6350 plus $900 to move it here.

After playing it for a month and talking with my technician, I decided to have it re-strung and regulated. The work will start this Friday for $6500.

At 33 years old the bass strings especially are losing their quality and to just replace them it is hard to tune the entire piano properly as the other strings are getting old as well.

I bought this piano as an interim instrument to play for a couple years but decided to bring it up to top quality now so I would have an inspiring instrument to play. It was playing pretty great already but now I will have a wonderful instrument. This may be the Keeper.

#1476834 - 07/19/10 02:13 AM Re: Is a Yamaha C3 from 1972 too old? [Re: YammyG2]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Well YammyG2 pretty much confirmed exactly what the future has in store for you,the piano being 38 Yrs old. That saved me alot of effort as for my repeatedly redundant assessment.

Now this is an excerpt of a post from another thread which I posted a while back.

"Prior to the onslot of the Chinese piano importation into the states, the hot ticket for that savy consumer in that moderate $ pricepoint were the preowned Japanese Yamaha and Kawai grands and uprts. Of course, mostly of gray market status. They were at one time much cheaper $ wise than the preowned pianos of nongray market status. The A grade grands were the sought after pianos a decade or so ago. Actually I've recently heard that the availability of preowned grands in Japan has diminished greatly as in the well is drying up as for preowned grands compared to a decade ago. Now the preowned uprts are a different story.

Now with the BETTER quality Chinese pianos coming on the scene, I've changed my "business mdl." 180 degrees as for finding a close to Japanese equal, in a NEW Chinese piano with a full manufacture warranty at the same pricepoint as a 25-30 yr. old crusty preowned Japanese artist level grand.

It is interesting that persons in the industry are privy to this change but it literally takes years for the public /consumer to catch on. Even here on PW with all the members being informed moreso than most in the real world, I continue to see this stereotype thread inquiry repeatedly ." Is $8000 a good price for this 1977 Yamaha G2?" There is a difference in BRAND NEW vrs.30 years old."

This copy and paste function is awesome. grin
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1477011 - 07/19/10 11:04 AM Re: Is a Yamaha C3 from 1972 too old? [Re: pianobroker]
Meadowlark Offline

Thank you, Stevester, YammyG2 and pianobroker, for your replies.

I'll try the tech forum.

The Yamaha C3 from 1972 is not a gray market piano; I did check the serial number with Yamaha. But it would seem from both of your replies that this piano, although it could sound good now, will need work in a relatively short period of time.

Pianobroker, if you are referring to the Hailuns, I had tried some in my price range, and did not like their tone. I had tried a Wendl & Lung 178 two years ago, which I liked and became attached to right away, but for which I did not have the money at the time, and now the dealer no longer gets them. Do you know of any Wendl & Lungs in the Northeast? The only dealer I can find is in Chicago.

Edited by Meadowlark (07/19/10 11:06 AM)

#1477092 - 07/19/10 01:12 PM Re: Is a Yamaha C3 from 1972 too old? [Re: Meadowlark]
PianoMan1958 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
There are other used Yamaha grands in your price range out there. Check 3bay or Craigslist and don't be afraid of gray market if they've been well maintained or rebuilt.

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)

#1477121 - 07/19/10 01:53 PM Re: Is a Yamaha C3 from 1972 too old? [Re: Meadowlark]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
Thank you, Stevester, YammyG2 and pianobroker, for your replie

Pianobroker, if you are referring to the Hailuns, I had tried some in my price range, and did not like their tone. I had tried a Wendl & Lung 178 two years ago, which I liked and became attached to right away, but for which I did not have the money at the time, and now the dealer no longer gets them. Do you know of any Wendl & Lungs in the Northeast? The only dealer I can find is in Chicago.

The obvious reason you felt or heard a difference between the Hailun and the Wendl and Lung is the hammers. The difference being the Wendl & Lung had the Renner Premium Blues prehung in the factory. I can guarantee you that a high end prep tech /voicer can transform the stock Hailun hammers to be very comparable to those Renner Premium Blues,no problem. Though the Hailuns are nearing that high level out of the crate Japanese prep level,they have to be voiced by a PRO. Especially with the newer quality hammerfelt cold pressed etc. they have every bit the potential if not more than a Renner Premium blue. Believe me,I know in that we prevoice Renner Premium Blues all day long for rebuilt Steinways and Masons. So.... I would give the Hailun another shot. Try Cunninghams in that a high end restoration facility will have the capability for sure to properly prep and VOICE a stock Hailun.

Edited by pianobroker (07/19/10 01:57 PM)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1477312 - 07/19/10 06:50 PM Re: Is a Yamaha C3 from 1972 too old? [Re: pianobroker]
Meadowlark Offline

Thank you, Pianobroker,

I live closer to NYC, so will try some there. Thank you for your reply.

Tech Forum replies also were leaning toward the realities of an old instrument being quite costly in the end.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (angga888, antony, Ashish, Anne'sson, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1251 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251509 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission