2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
I have no shame! One of my neighbor's middle schoolers is going to run a "Our street has talent" show over the summer and wants parents, not just kids. My daughter is anxious that I play piano ... fine, but I want something that will is showy without being too difficult to play! Like I said, no shame ..

I would put my level at around grade 4-5.

Any suggestions?

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
How about "Etude" by Aram Khatchaturian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-PiZ3K4nfg

Eugenie Rocherolle has a book called Boogie Bonanza which has pieces that are quite entertaining that are quite doable (couldn't find any youtube recordings of these). I think Steppin'-Out Boogie is one that I liked from that book. Also Down Home Boogie was another good one.

I'll try and think of some more when I'm at my studio and can look over my books smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

My favorite "showstopper" is Croatian Rhapsody. Alas, I am clueless about grades and have no idea whether it's at the 4/5 level or not. If not, I would recommend something very lively and nonclassical. A boogie as Morodiene suggested or a rag would both be good ideas.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
There are some ideas here though most are too advanced for me (at least, without spending the next six months learning them). But one of the suggestions - Satie's Gymnopedie Nr.1 might work. So long as I can get my left hand jumping between the bass notes and the chords, it's pretty simple.

Monica - any idea where I could find an orchestra to play along with me: I'm not sure the piano piece would stand up on it's own! wink

Morodiene - thanks for the idea. I've looked online and can't find anywhere that will show me a few bars of the score so I can see how tricky it would be. From what I can see from the You Tube it's probably a little too tricky for me to do as a "quick and dirty".

I might use the Chopin prelude Op. 27 no 7 that I was learning (my summer teacher has moved it to the "done" pile). It's beautiful and sounds harder than it really is.

Kawai K3
M
M
The Etude is actually a bit easier than it sounds. That's the key smile. I have a student who is playing from the RCM level 3 books and is working on this. I would think around 4 or 5 it's easy. Finding the music might be a bit tough, though. Check with your local music store to see if you can find it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Monica - any idea where I could find an orchestra to play along with me: I'm not sure the piano piece would stand up on it's own! wink

There's actually two solo piano arrangements of Croatian Rhapsody floating around the web, and they sound fine as piano solos. There have been a couple of threads about CR in AB forum, including one long-running study group, which you can search for if you want to hear some people play the different versions.

The upside of the Satie piece is that it is very pretty, and many people will be familiar with it, so it would be a crowd-pleaser. But it's not exactly what I would consider "flashy" in the upbeat, lively sense.

That was an interesting list you posted the link to. I'd have to agree with many of the author's choices. Actually, "Comptine d'un autre ete" (the Tiersen piece from "Amelie") would be a choice I'd also recommend highly. It's short, very easy to learn and memorize, almost foolproof in terms of not risking any dreaded memory gaps, and it's incredibly beautiful. I tend to play it (and Einaudi) a lot whenever I'm at a public piano in a hotel lobby or whatever, and it is the one piece that people have most often walked up to me and spontaneously mentioned how much they liked it and asked what it was.

D
D
Any of the Chopin Études would be good. Suggestion of an easy one: Opus 10 no 8 - - Sunshine.
Donn Xavier.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Monica K.
The upside of the Satie piece is that it is very pretty, and many people will be familiar with it, so it would be a crowd-pleaser. But it's not exactly what I would consider "flashy" in the upbeat, lively sense.

True - and I did initially mean that. But I've always loved that piece and it's got the attention-getting element.

That was an interesting list you posted the link to. I'd have to agree with many of the author's choices. Actually, "Comptine d'un autre ete" (the Tiersen piece from "Amelie") would be a choice I'd also recommend highly. It's short, very easy to learn and memorize, almost foolproof in terms of not risking and dreaded memory gaps, and it's incredibly beautiful.

I'm going to look at this one too.

Thanks!

Kawai K3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission