Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1477405 - 07/19/10 09:17 PM What pieces do you recommend I learn?
Brooke Taylor Offline

Loc: Citrus Park, Tampa, FL
Hello, my name is Brooke Taylor. I am fourteen years old, and I have been playing piano for 10 weeks. So far, I can play 2 pages of Beethoven's Pathetique (Mov 1) all of Raindrop Prelude, Prelude and Fugue no.2 from the Well Tempered Clavier book 1 by Bach, the August Rush theme song, and part of Ballade Op.10 no.1 by Brahms, and the first page of Unsospiro by Liszt. I want to go to Juilliard when I get older, what pieces do you recommend I learn now at my level?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1477430 - 07/19/10 09:58 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
Butters109 Offline

If you want to even think about going to Juilliard, you need a teacher first, and judging from what you've played.. you don't have one.

#1477434 - 07/19/10 10:09 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Butters109]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I second Butters' suggestion. You will need a teacher's guidance. Being able to play the first page or two of something is generally not an indication you can play the whole thing. A good teacher will assign music that you can enjoy just as much but also be able to play it well. He or she can also teach you all-important practice techniques so that you can learn the music with more efficiency. At 14 and only playing for 10 weeks, you have a ways to go yet. Other students auditioning for Julliard will have been studying piano at least since they were 7 or 8. This is not to discourage you, but to encourage you to get to a teacher ASAP to help you prepare.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1477435 - 07/19/10 10:09 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Butters109]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Yes, I do have a teacher, and a composition and theory teacher also. I am just wondering, what do you mean by "and judging from what you've played"?

-Brooke

#1477445 - 07/19/10 10:19 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
Butters109 Offline

What I mean by that, is I can't see why a teacher would assign you pieces that you can only partially play, as in the Pathetique and Un Sospiro. Both of those pieces, especially the Liszt, strike me as being very very inappropriate if you've only been play for ten weeks, and I don't see why a teacher would assign them to you.

#1477448 - 07/19/10 10:20 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Just based on your repertoire....you're far behind those who will be applying for Julliard. You will need a lot of hard work (maybe up to 4-6 hours a day if you're serious), a lot of passion, an excellent teacher, luck, and again, a LOT of hard work.

You'll also have to listen to a lot of stuff to get a sense of how the masters perform music, get a general sense of style, and broaden your musical horizons by exposing you to more music.

Good luck, I wish you all the best.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#1477463 - 07/19/10 10:35 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Butters109]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Thank you butters109 for explaining! I started Pathetique on my own. My teacher has never heard me even play it before. I am just working on it for fun, because I just started 10 weeks ago, and I feel so rushed. Like I have to learn this stuff quickly. I'm way ahead of the baby stuff. Un sospiro too, I started by myself, and played it for my teacher, she thinks I could learn it, and we're working on it now.

- Brooke

#1477466 - 07/19/10 10:36 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Brooke Taylor
Yes, I do have a teacher, and a composition and theory teacher also. I am just wondering, what do you mean by "and judging from what you've played"?

-Brooke

A good teacher wouldn't be giving those pieces to a beginner who's been playing for less than 3 months.

#1477469 - 07/19/10 10:37 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Well, Kuanpiano, I am certainly not looking to audition right now! I meant to say, in 10 years or so. Sorry for not adding it. I love the piano, and I practice 5+ hours a day. My composition & theory teacher is a graduate from Juilliard, and my piano teacher is the best in the area. Thank you for answering my question! I need all the advice I can get!

#1477470 - 07/19/10 10:38 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Phlebas]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Phlebas, please read my response to butters!

#1477474 - 07/19/10 10:40 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Morodiene]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Thanks Morodiene!

#1477477 - 07/19/10 10:46 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Phlebas, please read my response to butters!

Cross posted. Glad to hear your teacher didn't assign that stuff.
What music has your teacher assigned?
Also, it's great to read through some of those pieces you listed. You'll learn a lot that way. Do a lot of listening to, and not just piano. I wish they had Youtube when I was 14.

#1477482 - 07/19/10 10:52 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
Doctor Fugue Offline

Loc: Canada
I am just working on it for fun, because I just started 10 weeks ago, and I feel so rushed.

The best thing I can recommend is to relax. Take your time to develop a technical foundation, but also study the music with great detail. Push yourself to get better, but be aware that rushing through this process leads to two major problems: physical injuries and musical immaturity.

#1477485 - 07/19/10 10:54 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Phlebas]
Brooke Taylor Offline

My teacher has assigned me to work on Raindrop Prelude, and on the side we are just working a little bit on Un sospiro. She is helping me with the fingering, technique, etc. Mainly the Raindrop prelude though. I have mastered it I think. I am playing it for my winter recital. She thinks that I should wait on a lot of the stuff that I am getting excited about, and want to learn now. Mainly because I am asking her if I can play pieces such as Brahms Rhapsody in G minor op.79 no.2! I also am dying to learn how play Winter Wind etude, by Chopin. But I know that is a little advanced for me! I just get so excited, I feel that I need to become very good, very fast. I push myself very hard. I am so determined to go to Juilliard when I am older. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

-Brooke

Edited by Brooke Taylor (07/19/10 10:58 PM)

#1477487 - 07/19/10 10:55 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Doctor Fugue]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Thanks for the advice Doctor Fugue!

#1477503 - 07/19/10 11:37 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I understand where you're coming from.. I was younger than you when I started and was pushing myself even more. But I didn't go straight for the hardest pieces I could find.. I started with Schubert Impromptus, learned Beethoven's Pathetique slow movement and rondo, Chopin's easier Preludes, some Nocturnes, some Waltzes.. Liszt's Consolation No. 3.. Grillen and Warum? from Schumann's Fantasiestucke. I feel like these are the key pieces that shaped my musical thinking.

#1477506 - 07/19/10 11:52 PM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: jeffreyjones]
Quickster94 Offline

First of all, major congratulations for what you've already accomplished. It certainly took me longer than 10 weeks at the keyboard to reach the level to play the raindrop prelude.

Perhaps echoing what other people have said here, motivation and goals are great, but don't push yourself too hard. Reaching for the most difficult pieces too early can cause a lot of frustration, irritation, and technical problems if you don't have the foundation to approach the pieces.

I think your teacher (who seems to be very accomplished) will have the best ideas for you concerning repertoire choice, he or she probably knows you and your playing the best.

#1477515 - 07/20/10 12:09 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Quickster94]
cast12 Offline

Am I the only one who is incredulous of the OP's progress?

#1477516 - 07/20/10 12:10 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

My teacher has assigned me to work on Raindrop Prelude, and on the side we are just working a little bit on Un sospiro. She is helping me with the fingering, technique, etc. Mainly the Raindrop prelude though. I have mastered it I think. I am playing it for my winter recital. She thinks that I should wait on a lot of the stuff that I am getting excited about, and want to learn now. Mainly because I am asking her if I can play pieces such as Brahms Rhapsody in G minor op.79 no.2! I also am dying to learn how play Winter Wind etude, by Chopin. But I know that is a little advanced for me! I just get so excited, I feel that I need to become very good, very fast. I push myself very hard. I am so determined to go to Juilliard when I am older. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

-Brooke

What strikes me is that there is little technical foundation, as others have said. Why not play Bach? And, I do not recommend Winter Wind by Chopin, it is VERY advanced. Still, good job on your current repertoire.

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

#1477517 - 07/20/10 12:10 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: cast12]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cast12

no you are not, haha

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

#1477528 - 07/20/10 12:29 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Quickster94]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Dear Quickster94,

I really appreciate you answering my question! I found your answer to be very helpful. Thank you for the confidence, and the motivation.

- Brooke

#1477529 - 07/20/10 12:31 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Skorpius]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Thank you skorpius!

#1477576 - 07/20/10 02:22 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Skorpius]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Skorpius
Originally Posted By: cast12

no you are not, haha

One has to wonder about the pedagogical credentials and judgment of a piano "teacher" who gives such literature to someone at this stage of his playing. But, he's "past the baby stuff," he says, so what else is there?

One also has to wonder why, since the OP has a teacher, he even came here for advice on "what pieces [we] recommend [he] learn," when he seems to have his own mind made up on that question and that anything appropriate we recommend would be just more "baby stuff".

Regards,

#1477608 - 07/20/10 03:52 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: BruceD]
Andrew McLaughlin Offline

Brooke!

Congratulations on wanting to take up the Piano at 14. I started when I was 7 and stopped at 14. Now at 48, I'm regretting ever haven given it up. But my head just wasn't in the right place (too many family problems) to make it possible. Now I'm catching up 34 years later. Fortunately, I went on to Guitar and Ukulele which helped me to retain understand of the theory and fundamentals, so it's coming back pretty quick.

Ignore the naysayers. You sound like you have a full head of steam and are ready to go full bore. Enjoy this time and play until your fingers bleed! smile

Piko

#1477616 - 07/20/10 04:10 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Andrew McLaughlin]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

Edited by Kreisler (07/20/10 09:53 AM)
Edit Reason: lack of maturity

#1477621 - 07/20/10 04:25 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Brooke Taylor]
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
First off, If you plan on auditioning for a school like Julliard; get a teacher. You may be able to play those pieces but a teacher will help you with all your technical work. Now, for the pieces. Maybe a movement from an easier Mozart sonata, perhaps K545? Definantly have a look at Schumann's 'Scene's from Childhood', and finally, why not look at a Chopin Prelude or Nocturne? Some of them are much more challenging than others but managable. Have fun! smile
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

#1477623 - 07/20/10 04:32 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Samuel1993]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Brooke,
I know it is difficult, but just try to find a balance between enthusiasm and where you actually are. And the best person to help you with this is your teacher.
Get him/her to find something exciting and not beyond your current abilities for you.

Music is my best friend.

#1477754 - 07/20/10 10:35 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: BruceD]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Hello BruceD,

By me saying "baby stuff" I clearly meant ba ba black sheep, and Mary had a little lamb. Please read, that she did not assign me these pieces. I worked on them myself. I also started working on Raindrop prelude by Chopin by myself, and after I had gotten 2 pages done out of 3 I showed her. Hoping to be able to play it at my recital. She thought I played it very well, and she helped me with the minor problems, and assigned me the third page. I learned it. The reason I came on here, is for advice and recommendations regarding pieces outside of my teacher's suggestions. I just found this website, because I left Yahoo! answers due to all the rude and hateful people hoping to seek some friendly feedback from people that actually know what they're talking about. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

- Brooke

#1477755 - 07/20/10 10:36 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: Andrew McLaughlin]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Thank you for the advice Andrew!

#1477756 - 07/20/10 10:37 AM Re: What pieces do you recommend I learn? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Brooke Taylor Offline

Thank you ChopinAddict!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (accordeur, AndrewAJC, anotherscott, alans, 30 invisible), 1368 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155795 Topics
2287692 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha p120 key issue
by PianoChaseHogan
29 minutes 10 seconds ago
Similarities between Gershwin and Leonard Bernstein
by pianoloverus
Today at 08:01 PM
Help with Fingering!!
by Francisco Scalco
Today at 07:00 PM
Group PLUS private lessons?
by WCSdancer
Today at 06:39 PM
Great bassist Charlie Haden passed away
by Mark Polishook
Today at 06:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission