Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1476624 - 07/18/10 04:46 PM Bach G minor Minuet
VJ. Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Folks,
I am trying to figure out what kind of modulation happened at the bars 12 & 13 in the G minor Minuet of "The little notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach". The 3rd note of the G minor scale Bb is naturalized. It may be modulated to G major but I cannot understand the chord progression if I think it that way. Could someone help me.

Thanks,
VJ

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1476687 - 07/18/10 07:15 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: VJ.]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
It's modulating into C minor temporarily and G major is the dominant chord for C minor.

Kawai K3

#1476699 - 07/18/10 07:46 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Andy Platt]
VJ. Offline

Thank you very much. It makes sense now.

VJ

#1476733 - 07/18/10 09:22 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: VJ.]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Bach doesn't modulate, he simply changes one note or two to bring you to a new key. There's no chord progression involved and so it can be confusing if you try to undrstand it harmonically.

In this case, if you raise the b-flat to b-natural, you are in c melodic minor. It's pure genius!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1476788 - 07/18/10 11:05 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
Mark Broder Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Isn't it a fine point to say he doesn't modulate? If he changes a note to arrive at a new key, it's a modulation, isn't it?

#1476805 - 07/18/10 11:40 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Mark Broder]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A modulation involves using a chord progression to change keys.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1476825 - 07/19/10 01:29 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: ll]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted By: ll
A modulation involves using a chord progression to change keys.
Not in my book. A modulation is whatever enables a strong V-I in the new key.

#1476855 - 07/19/10 03:52 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
I just checked, because I too thought that "modulate" refers to moving into a new key without a new key signature. The chapter in my theory book on modulation lists several types: gradual, transition, continuous. Gradual modulation is the one involving a number of chords in a progress. But the other two happen suddenly according to the author.

"Transition, or sudden modulation. a transition is made by omission of the pivot chord, so that the music moves at once to a new key without a connecting chord."**

Anyone?

** Horwood, The Basis of Harmony

#1476935 - 07/19/10 08:32 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Mark Broder]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Broder
Isn't it a fine point to say he doesn't modulate? If he changes a note to arrive at a new key, it's a modulation, isn't it?

Well, I didn't want to disagree with a teacher wink but that was my thought too.

The OP was happy - now VJ is probably confused as heck!

Kawai K3

#1476943 - 07/19/10 08:53 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Andy Platt]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast Pennsylvania
According to Percy Goetschius' theory book (an old but excellent text), any tonal deviation from the key should be considered a modulation, no matter how brief.

And with a name like "Goetschius," you know he has to be smart.

#1476959 - 07/19/10 09:42 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: moscheles001]
Morodiene Offline

I was always taught that modulation had to do with a harmonic progression. In fact, in many theory classes we were taught to modulate though a series of chord changes, rather than melodic changes. Perhaps that was a an inference rather than a defined term. We were never taught Bach's was of transition" modulation as keystring pointed out.

My point wasn't to get in a debate about the definition of the word modulation, however, but to point out that in Baroque music, they were less concerned with harmonic progressions (homophonic) and more focused on the independent voices (polyphonic). That is why one can play many Baroque pieces one voice at a time and still have a nice melody. And that is why trying to understand Baroque modulations in a harmonic context is erroneous. IMO. wink

#1477151 - 07/19/10 02:51 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
Mark Broder Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Bach uses the B natural as a way to get to the new key of Bb major (relative major of G minor). He does this by moving through the chords: G major (using the B natural)- G7 - C minor - F major - Bb major (following the circle of 5ths). He arrives at a final cadence in the new key of Bb major: Bb - Eb - F - Bb. The movement of the two voices creates harmonies and the music modulates (changes key) from G minor to Bb major (this is a common modulation from the minor to its relative major, or vice versa).

#1477156 - 07/19/10 02:58 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Mark Broder]
keyboardklutz Offline

You wanna come here more often!

#1477180 - 07/19/10 03:42 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: moscheles001]
VJ. Offline

Andy,

Well you are right. I am lost again. I've been looking at music in terms of chords (arpeggiated) and their progression. Even, in Anna Magdalena's book, I could always see the music in terms of so called modulation (it seems now it is not so).

Morodiene,

When you say Bach doesn't modulate and just changes a few notes to change keys, how do I approach and learn his pieces. Am I right in assuming that, even though he does not modulate, he changes notes so that the keys change to the neighboring key? (I know this is so dumb basic question. But want to get cleared before I move on reading more theory).

Could you both please shed some light for me? frown

#1477186 - 07/19/10 03:47 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Mark Broder]
VJ. Offline

Thanks, Mark. Nice detailed explanation on the piece.

Regards,
VJ

#1477352 - 07/19/10 07:47 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: VJ.]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: VJ.
Andy,

Well you are right. I am lost again. I've been looking at music in terms of chords (arpeggiated) and their progression. Even, in Anna Magdalena's book, I could always see the music in terms of so called modulation (it seems now it is not so).

Morodiene,

When you say Bach doesn't modulate and just changes a few notes to change keys, how do I approach and learn his pieces. Am I right in assuming that, even though he does not modulate, he changes notes so that the keys change to the neighboring key? (I know this is so dumb basic question. But want to get cleared before I move on reading more theory).

Could you both please shed some light for me? frown

Like I said, Baroque music is polyphonic, meaning that each individual voice (or line of music) has equal importance. The way they composed music back then they did not think in terms of harmonic progression or chords, but in terms of melodic line. So by changing one or two notes with accidentals, Bach could "modulate" to another key. He wasn't really doing it in terms of chord progressions, but in terms of what differences there are in the notes between two scales.

For example, if you are in C major, what's the easiest way to get to G major? Today's theorist would tell you "Do a V-I progression in the key of G (or D major chord or D 7 to G major chord)." However, all you need really is to add an F# to get there. What if you wanted to get to F major from C? Just add a B-flat. Those are simple, but you can do more: -throw in a G# and you're in A harmonic minor.
-throw in an e-flat and you're in c melodic minor
-throw in a C# and you're in d melodic minor!

So essentially, you have 5 new keys you can go to with just a change of one key! You can then modulate from there:

-Say you sharped scale degree 4 to get to G major (with the F#) you can then do the above 5 options: sharp scale degree 4 of G, flat scale degree 7 (which brings you back to C major in this case), sharp 5 to get to the melodic relative minor, flat 3 to go to the parallel melodic minor, and sharp 1 to get to the melodic minor built on the 2nd scale degree (a minor in this case).

I hope that you take some time to play around with this idea, at least the first set of modulations you can do. It really adds a whole new world to playing and appreciating Baroque music in all its elegance!

#1477546 - 07/20/10 01:05 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
keyboardklutz Offline

Plenty of Baroque music has chords - it's when chordal harmony began. You're talking Renaissance there Morodiene.

#1477675 - 07/20/10 08:24 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: keyboardklutz]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Baroque composers thought in terms of melody and harmony simultaneously. They had to in order for the melodic lines to work together.

#1477702 - 07/20/10 09:14 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: moscheles001]
Morodiene Offline

Perhaps you're right in that they considered both. While they certainly weren't ignorant of chords and let the chords fall where they may as in Renaissance, they still paid very close attention to melodic lines. If you are looking at modulations, I think they are better understood from a melodic standpoint as I said. I do not think that one can analyze Bach and other Baroque composers with a purely chordal context - they did come out of the Renaissance, afterall. Modern harmonic analysis had not yet come about. So many of his modulations were not conventional in harmonic analysis. Thinking melodically they make perfect sense, however.

#1477718 - 07/20/10 09:39 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Modern harmonic analysis had not yet come about. So many of his modulations were not conventional in harmonic analysis. Thinking melodically they make perfect sense, however.
Don't know what that means - Bach had his own major theory on harmony which disagreed with Rameau's. Then there's figured bass...

#1477723 - 07/20/10 09:43 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
I think I understand what you are saying, Morodiene. Above all, this is in the context of someone trying to understand the music in order to play it. If later music is understood through chord progressions, that same way of looking at music won't work well with this earlier music.

With this music, I will hear a melody that starts and finishes. Another voice takes up that melody or sings and answering melody. It is like hearing your favourite tune but for some reason somebody keeps humming the first line over and over. If I listen for that tune trading back and forth, then it all makes sense and is easier to play. Sometimes the tune shifts into another key, but the main focus is the tune. Is that what you are saying?

I was thrown first of all when you wrote that it does not modulate. It's not just a word but a way of seeing the music. To me the first thing is an awareness that the music has shifted - the tonal centre was A and it was minor, but now it is C and it is major so everything has the feel of C major and not A minor. Since it has shifted into this new key, I think of it has "having" changed (modulated), so that change must have happend somewhere. I thought of that moment of changing as "modulating", whether it happens gradually over set chord progressions, or suddenly by adding an accidental to a chord effectively changing the key like you described. You are not saying that the music does not change into other keys, but that this formal progression doesn't take place. And that is because the OP is looking for that kind of pattern which isn't there.

This has actually helped me, because in my theory book we are asked to look at form. Although we are only to recognize final cadences, I was still intrigued by the way these little pieces seemed to shape-shift harmonically - a steady slide from one key to the next in only 3 short measures. It was exactly as you describe.

Any of us doing (or having done) harmony theory with the endless SATB and Bach will know that there are indeed chords and chord progressions which is why you are getting argument. Yet there is also this other focus, and music started from an earlier age as you say. I can't imagine that a culture ever starts a new era cold turkey, without having bits of the old era lingering in their art.

#1477751 - 07/20/10 10:32 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: keystring]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was arguing. That wasn't my intent; I was just putting forth what I had found in a theory text.

#1477791 - 07/20/10 11:32 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: moscheles001]
keyboardklutz Offline

No need to apologize, when Bach heard a theme he understood its potential both vertically and horizontally in an instant.

#1477809 - 07/20/10 11:57 AM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: keyboardklutz]
Morodiene Offline

I am not disagreeing you, kbk. But I' am saying that to ignore the melodic modulation in favor of a modern harmonic progression viewpoint is erroneous. In fact, some modulations are better understood in melodic ways.

#1477811 - 07/20/10 12:02 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I read somewhere that Bach's counterpoint is important in the develpment of music because it is simultaneously concerned with melody and harmony; that both develop simultaneously. I wish could remember where I read it . . . .

#1477819 - 07/20/10 12:15 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
keyboardklutz Offline

I am not disagreeing you, kbk. But I' am saying that to ignore the melodic modulation
'Melodic modulation' could only exist in the absence of other parts.

Here's Kirkpatrick - 'I do not think I ever play a Bach work of any kind without hearing it in a harmonic context. Even if it appears to be a predominantly contrapuntal work, even if it is only a two-part invention, my inner ear hears it dripping with harmony.'

#1477858 - 07/20/10 01:08 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: keyboardklutz]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I find it amusing that in all this discussion about Bach and harmony (all great stuff, by the way), nobody has mentioned that this particular piece is very likely to have been composed by Christian Petzold (like it's sibling the minuet in G major).

Kawai K3

#1477897 - 07/20/10 02:01 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Andy Platt]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, we did forget that point, didn't we? Well, Bach admired Petzold's music, so what's true for Bach could be true for Petzold. And my original point about modulation wasn't specifically about Bach's music.

#1477904 - 07/20/10 02:12 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: keyboardklutz]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
I am not disagreeing you, kbk. But I' am saying that to ignore the melodic modulation
'Melodic modulation' could only exist in the absence of other parts.

That is your opinion, and I disagree. You yourself said that harmonies were taken into consideration but there was still attention given to the melodic line: "No need to apologize, when Bach heard a theme he understood its potential both vertically and horizontally in an instant."

Quote:
Here's Kirkpatrick - 'I do not think I ever play a Bach work of any kind without hearing it in a harmonic context. Even if it appears to be a predominantly contrapuntal work, even if it is only a two-part invention, my inner ear hears it dripping with harmony.'

I certainly did not say there wasn't harmony! Of course there is. I'm saying that his modulations were mainly conceived in a melodic context. I guess this is getting a bit ridiculous. Obviously you don't agree that Baroque composers thought in terms of melody.

#1477910 - 07/20/10 02:22 PM Re: Bach G minor Minuet [Re: Morodiene]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I thought we agreed that Baroque composers thought in terms of melody, but that they also thought in terms of harmony. So that they composed vertically and horizontally simultaneously.

Or am I not understanding?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (antony, anotherscott, Anna Francesch, arX, 21 invisible), 1203 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253036 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
Today at 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission