2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, busa, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
The discussion about Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber demonstrates a lack of understanding about how the pop music world works. If anyone could do it then everyone would do it, and they don't. The 'talent' might not be as uncomplicated as being able to play the piano.

Prodigies are made. If prodigies don't put in the work they don't become any good at what they do. No one gets born skilled.

Although my three year old is freakish with a soccer ball, and has been since he took his first steps. Hmm!

When I was originally posting the remark about lady gaga, I just ment it seemed absurd to call her a prodigy, because she was not a little kid, and did not show all that much musical talent. Some disagree, I know a few people who will fight to the death to say she is the greatest thing out there.

I think your assesment is a bit wrong, not everyone wants to be a pop star. I look at pop music in a different light. Pop music, comes from the same traditions as western classical. The same scales and notation is used for the most part. Pop music overall is very watered down compared to classical, but instantly accessible.

There have always been boy bands, even as far back as the fifties and the sixties, bands that were made because the members looked good. There are articles from session musicians staing that sometimes in the sixties they would hire session musicians to come in and play the album to records for these bands. Now we have computers to do this for us.

All that being said , my only point was not start is lady gaga talented arguement, that would never end, but to say, doubtful she is a prodigy.

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
You're the person who wants to go to Juilliard, aren't you? And
this question presumably is related to that goal.

My impression of Juilliard is that they are looking for star
quality over and above everything else. They get their pick
every yr. from thousands of highly proficient pianists, but
I believe that they will go with the person with star quality
over another who is better technically. For example, if you
look like Richard Gere and your playing is state university
level, I believe that not only will you get in over hundreds
of better players, you'll get in on a full ride, and they'll
put you with the best teacher, who will whip you into something
resembling a concert pianist.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Gyro
[...] For example, if you
look like Richard Gere and your playing is state university
level, I believe that not only will you get in over hundreds
of better players, you'll get in on a full ride, and they'll
put you with the best teacher, who will whip you into something
resembling a concert pianist.

... and that "belief" is supported by what facts or by what evidence?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
nothing to see here, move along .....

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Why is it that every time I read a post by Gyro, I have "In the Hall of the Mountain King" playing in my head?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Actually in his (?) own unique way, gyro brings up an insightful point. Places like Juilliard get a bazillion audition "tapes" a year. I'm assuming (and this may be a bad assumption) that for the 5% that they end up choosing, that while a few might be "obvious" purely from a performance standpoint, that there are many that don't necessarily stand head and shoulders above the others. Given that, what types of other criteria are they likely to utilize when trying to decide between two applicants that are roughly equal in performance abilities? This actually applies to getting into many top tier colleges when you have more students that meet the objective criteria than there are spaces for. So for the Juilliard's and Curtis' of the world, what "other" things should one attempt to beef up to increase their chances of admittance?

- competition results
- prestigious or notable performances
- specialization (e.g. harpsichord expert, baroque expert, etc)
- plastic surgery to look like Richard Gere
- attendance at the Juilliard summer program
- hob nobbing with faculty and general brown nosing
- "outreach"/community musical involvement
- getting the Old Spice Horse Guy to intro your pre-screen dvd
- ????

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think for all talents there is a sort of bell curve like for IQ. And also a sort of ceiling beyond which one cannot go.
At any rate, I think a good teacher can probably make a good musician of even an average person, but not a prodigy...
Children are often reluctant to be called prodigies (and even a bit embarrassed), it is usually parents who push I think.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

A
A
Originally Posted by moscheles001
Why is it that every time I read a post by Gyro, I have "In the Hall of the Mountain King" playing in my head?

I didn't even get the joke, and I laughed.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This is a very talented young man I think...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jdhampton924
The discussion about Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber demonstrates a lack of understanding about how the pop music world works. If anyone could do it then everyone would do it, and they don't. The 'talent' might not be as uncomplicated as being able to play the piano.

Prodigies are made. If prodigies don't put in the work they don't become any good at what they do. No one gets born skilled.

Although my three year old is freakish with a soccer ball, and has been since he took his first steps. Hmm!

When I was originally posting the remark about lady gaga, I just ment it seemed absurd to call her a prodigy, because she was not a little kid, and did not show all that much musical talent. Some disagree, I know a few people who will fight to the death to say she is the greatest thing out there.

I think your assesment is a bit wrong, not everyone wants to be a pop star. I look at pop music in a different light. Pop music, comes from the same traditions as western classical. The same scales and notation is used for the most part. Pop music overall is very watered down compared to classical, but instantly accessible.

There have always been boy bands, even as far back as the fifties and the sixties, bands that were made because the members looked good. There are articles from session musicians staing that sometimes in the sixties they would hire session musicians to come in and play the album to records for these bands. Now we have computers to do this for us.

All that being said , my only point was not start is lady gaga talented arguement, that would never end, but to say, doubtful she is a prodigy.

If my assessment was that everyone wanted to be a pop star I would be a deluded assessor of human dreams and goals indeed.

Of course not everyone wants to be a pop star (or a fireman, or an astronaut, or a missionary....) but of those who do want to be a pop star most will not succeed. Simply to achieve one's goals requires admirable qualities. I would think that having a talent for achieving your goals is still a talent.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I see your point. I'm not up on what experts define "prodigy" as, but it seems from this thread that there are different uses for the same word. Here's merriam-webster's definition:
"an extraordinary, marvelous, or unusual accomplishment, deed, or event b : a highly talented child or youth." So in the a. version it can refer to anything that is extraordinary, and in the b. version, it refers only to a young person who is highly talented.

So it seems that "prodigy" can refer to an adult as well.
Actually, definition a. does not refer to people, but to the accomplishment, deed or event itself.

So 'prodigy' cannot refer to an adult, even with the enhanced definition.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Actually, definition a. does not refer to people, but to the accomplishment, deed or event itself.

dictionary.com:

"1. a person, esp. a child or young person, having extraordinary talent or ability"

Cambridge Dictionary:

"someone with a very great ability which usually shows itself when that person is a young child"

So there doesn't seem to be consensus on whether only a "child/young person" can be a "prodigy", at least not according to the various dictionaries.

Is a 50 yo who first starts piano and is able to advance at the same rate as a child who is considered a prodigy not a prodigy? If not, is there another term for someone showing similar great ability but at an older age?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I see your point. I'm not up on what experts define "prodigy" as, but it seems from this thread that there are different uses for the same word. Here's merriam-webster's definition:
"an extraordinary, marvelous, or unusual accomplishment, deed, or event b : a highly talented child or youth." So in the a. version it can refer to anything that is extraordinary, and in the b. version, it refers only to a young person who is highly talented.

So it seems that "prodigy" can refer to an adult as well.

The dictionary I have sitting around (American Heritage)reads "A person, esp. a child, with exceptional talent" By this definition I would say the word can refer to an adult, but normally isn't used that way.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oxford English Dictionary:
c.3.c A person endowed with some quality which excites wonder; esp. a child of precocious genius.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
OK, I'll get pedantic here, I merely said that the enhanced definition in the preceding post did not allow for the interpretation that an adult could be called a prodigy. I literally meant what I said, and did not mean that adults could not be called prodigies is people wanted to call them prodigies. Honestly, called them pepperonis for all I care!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Honestly, called them pepperonis for all I care!

Pepperonis has no meaning, I prefer to call them anchovies myself (adult or fry).

H
H
Originally Posted by bitWrangler
"1. a person, esp. a child or young person, having extraordinary talent or ability"

"someone with a very great ability which usually shows itself when that person is a young child"

Whew.. we got that. Now all we have to do is all agree on what 'extraordinary talent' or 'great ability' means.

Then we can all agree on what prodigy means! And we can all throw a big party and stand around being 'correct'!!

And we will develop a ranking system for musicians, so that we can differentiate prodigies from non prodigies... because.... that's what we want.

We're close guys I can feel it...

Last edited by hippymusicman; 07/24/10 01:41 AM.

... such a vital organ
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission