Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1479732 - 07/23/10 09:08 AM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Mark_C]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Mark, I do hope you're a bit more polite to your patients than your posting here would indicate.

I'm busy teaching and between students, I can post. Apparently, you think every one should hire a tax accountant and lawyer, investigate every possible implication of a new law, before saying anything. Or, we can post what we've heard, and let others with more time/expertise dig in and find out.

As I've said, I've notified MTNA, our professional organization here in the USA, and asked their legal consul to look into the matter and advise teachers.

Further, teachers entering the field can use this information to evaluate whether they want to continue down the path as an independent studio owner, or go another route; we do have elections coming up soon, and perhaps some studio owners may want to voice dissatisfaction with government overreach in the only way politicians seem to understand.

Wishing you a good day and weekend.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1479736 - 07/23/10 09:16 AM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
John, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and would like to know what MTNA has to say about it. I'm sure since it's pretty new information that like everyone else, they're trying to sort it out and perhaps waiting to see how the IRS decides to implement this.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1479880 - 07/23/10 12:59 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Morodiene]
Jennifer Eklund Offline

Loc: SoCal
...but but but....we're "creating" jobs. More paper-pushers at the IRS....

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

#1479891 - 07/23/10 01:23 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Mark, I do hope you're a bit more polite to your patients than your posting here would indicate......

John, I've been far more polite to you than you have deserved.

You came on here with sloppy incorrect stuff and you've been spreading hysteria over it, plus some political aspersions. When things have been pointed out to help you correct and clarify the story, you have almost entirely rejected it, and you've just tried to take your misguided, false, and exaggerated points even further.

It's a credit to this site and its membership that they haven't let themselves be taken too far down that path with you.

#1479895 - 07/23/10 01:28 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Mark_C]
7000 Post Club Member

As far as I can determine, my original post stands as correct. It's what CNBC reported. And one doesn't define hysterical as voicing displeasure with adding additional and unnecessary reporting requirements.

#1479900 - 07/23/10 01:31 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Mark_C Offline

OK.
Since you're sounding reasonable smile let's see.

Are you willing to say that much of what you have said simply doesn't apply?

#1479915 - 07/23/10 01:46 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I didn't view John's posts as "spreading hysteria." While I think that the practical impact of the new rules on piano teachers will be small, for other sectors (such as, egocentrically speaking, the coin business) the time/money involved in complying with the regulations will be enormous, unpleasant, and could even make some small businesses go under.

The new code permits the IRS some wiggle room in how the rules are implemented. For example, they apparently intend to exempt credit card purchases from the reporting requirements, so an easy way to avoid having to file the 1099s would be simply to pay for everything with credit cards. That will work for certain small businesses (including piano teachers, I imagine) but not others.

Another troubling aspect about this mess is that some people are predicting that the new rules will have an adverse effect on small, locally owned businesses. Because the rule requires one 1099 form per vendor, people may decide to minimize paperwork by purchasing most of their stuff from a few very large companies (amazon, Office Depot, etc.) rather than shop around and purchase from smaller, more specialized local companies.

The IRS has invited public comment on the legislation. I have no idea whether they'll read it or respond to it in any way, but those of you who feel strongly about the issue should feel free to offer input. Here's the IRS document soliciting comments:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-10-51.pdf

Scroll down to the bottom of p. 4 to find the 3 ways in which comments can be submitted.

#1479937 - 07/23/10 02:28 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Monica K.]
7000 Post Club Member

Mark,

You know, you're on a piano teacher's forum, and we musicians are notorious for having a flair for the dramatic, hyperbole and exaggeration. It's our stock in trade. After all, artists are not cold and clinical. I might ask what did you really expect?

If you're looking for the highly analytical, you might try a tax preparers forum or even, I suppose, a clinical psychologists forum (although I can see how they might get into some heated discussions).

At this point, all I know for certain is that many of us teachers are now going to have to prepare form 1099s which we didn't have to prepare before. If Monika is correct, and I sincerely hope she is, and our credit card purchases will be exempt, then Amen. However, that's a separate issue - and a scary one at that, that the US Government is watching our credit cards. We can leave that topic to the Freedom forums.

I do know that many of the piano teachers in our community are north of 65 and are not computer literate. Whether they still do their taxes themselves or pay to have a tax preparer do it, I don't know, but either way, this will be an added burden.

#1479943 - 07/23/10 02:48 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Discussion and feedback mean a lot more now than they will when it's a done deal and there's nothing we can say or do to change it. I'm grateful to John for bringing up the topic, and for others - on all sides of the issue - for the discussion, insight, and opinions. I don't see any hysteria - just folks who see various concerns.

Many musicians are not just teachers; they are self-employed as performers as well. So there will be ramifications outside the studio, too.

#1479949 - 07/23/10 03:00 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Mark_C Offline

You know, you're on a piano teacher's forum, and we musicians are notorious for having a flair for the dramatic, hyperbole and exaggeration. It's our stock in trade. After all, artists are not cold and clinical. I might ask what did you really expect?....

Expect? Nothing. smile I never expect anything anywhere.

Hope? What I would have hoped for was the kind of discussion we're having now (it has gotten way better as we're gone along) -- measured, and with a care for accuracy, a care for not throwing fuel on the fire, and an openness to taking things back, if someone realizes that what they said was wrong.

BTW.....I ought to say that despite my criticisms, I also much appreciate your having brought this up.

#1479953 - 07/23/10 03:07 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: John v.d.Brook]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Further, teachers entering the field can use this information to evaluate whether they want to continue down the path as an independent studio owner, or go another route; we do have elections coming up soon, and perhaps some studio owners may want to voice dissatisfaction with government overreach in the only way politicians seem to understand.

Yeah, I am sure that for most teachers whether or not they have to spend an extra two hours per year on their bookkeeping will determine if they would rather be a piano teacher or a cashier at Wal*Mart.

At least you are now being honest about your true intentions with this thread: to make political propaganda based on your own emotional distortions to try to fit this story to your own ideological biases rather than to have a reasoned discussion of the likely minor impact of this proposed requirement on piano teachers.

As long as people continue to vote uninformed and emotionally in the US based on television propaganda, bias and slogans rather than based on informed positions, education, and rational and critical thought -- often voting directly against their own interests and those of their community after being bamboozled by distortions and falsehoods -- then Americans will continue to have less and less self determination, get more incompetent government and wind up with the kind of society developing over the past 30 years where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and ever more ignorant, the middle class continues to disappear and culture, music education and piano teachers slowly become completely extinct.

#1479956 - 07/23/10 03:09 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: theJourney]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: theJourney
....At least you are now being honest about your true intentions with this thread: to make political propaganda based on your own emotional distortions to try to fit this story to your own ideological biases rather than to have a reasoned discussion of the likely minor impact of this proposed requirement on piano teachers....

I wouldn't have put it quite so strongly, but indeed the quasi-political aspect of the OP (and a couple of the follow-ups) was the thing that made me first suspect that something here was awry and which made me look into the details.

The erroneous and exaggerated ways of looking at the requirement, and the seemingly stubborn and resistant follow-up, seemed very reminiscent of some of the discussion (back in the day) of the Equal Rights Amendment -- "unisex bathrooms" and whatnot -- as well as much that we hear currently from Tea Partiers. Does that mean it's where he's coming from? I don't particularly think so, although I agree it's remarkable that now he talks about the elections rather than perhaps spending that space on correcting the errors in what he has said. (If I were him, I'd also feel compelled to apologize for them, but never mind.) smile

I'm happy just to have the discussion of this subject be what it has become. It has gotten good.

#1480016 - 07/23/10 04:41 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: theJourney]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
As long as people continue to vote uninformed and emotionally in the US based on television propaganda, bias and slogans rather than based on informed positions, education, and rational and critical thought -- often voting directly against their own interests and those of their community after being bamboozled by distortions and falsehoods -- then Americans will continue to have less and less self determination, get more incompetent government and wind up with the kind of society developing over the past 30 years where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and ever more ignorant, the middle class continues to disappear and culture, music education and piano teachers slowly become completely extinct.

laugh laugh laugh Us Americans here in the US are *such* doofusses laugh And apparently not adults, either - at least not the ones who might find drawbacks to this, according to you!

I think I should move <snort>

Cathy

#1480026 - 07/23/10 04:52 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: jotur]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur

laugh laugh laugh Us Americans here in the US are *such* doofusses laugh And apparently not adults, either - at least not the ones who might find drawbacks to this, according to you!

Cathy

Well, I certainly wouldn't agree with your blanket black/white statement.

But I would say that your post doesn't come across as being very thoughtful, serious or mature.

#1480034 - 07/23/10 05:03 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: theJourney]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
As long as people continue to vote uninformed and emotionally in the US based on television propaganda, bias and slogans rather than based on informed positions, education, and rational and critical thought --

I thought that was the only way to vote. smile

#1480044 - 07/23/10 05:14 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: theJourney]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
it is clear to me that music and politics do not match.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1480048 - 07/23/10 05:18 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: theJourney]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Cathy

Well, I certainly wouldn't agree with your blanket black/white statement.

But I would say that your post doesn't come across as being very thoughtful, serious or mature.

Hm. Guess I needed the "sarcasm on/off" icons as well.

If you don't agree with the blanket statements perhaps it would be better if you didn't make them that way in your posts. If you, for instance, said "some people aren't adults", or "some Americans vote ignorantly". MHO, of course smile

I often like your posts. But the ones here seem, uh, smug, to me - and overly generalized smile

I'm sure you don't see them that way. That's life smile

Cathy

Edited by jotur (07/23/10 05:19 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1480071 - 07/23/10 05:49 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: jotur]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I reckon TheJourney is expressing a fairly mainstream view when looked at from a global perspective.

A discursive thread essential to US politics is the idea that *anyone* can (and almost certainly will) get rich in the United States of America, and, because this notion is so widely subscribed to *against all evidence*, people with no hope of spectacular financial advancement find themselves voting to reduce taxes for the super-rich while reducing services for themselves.

This is, at least, how it appears to really anyone observing US politics from the outside, and of course, I'm sure many from the inside as well.

In addition, the federal structure of the government allows for complicated taxation systems, different from one state to the next, making conducting business much more difficult than in a nation with a national taxation system. Here in Australia we suffer a little from this duplication in government, but to nowhere near the same degree as in the US.

Surely, however (getting back to the topic), no one can really know what they are worried about until the IRS announces how the legislation will be implemented? And if Australian experience is anything to go by, if a reporting requirement is onerous to the point of convincing people to shut down their businesses, politicians *will* change it.
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1480105 - 07/23/10 06:53 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Elissa Milne]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Elissa Milne
I reckon TheJourney is expressing a fairly mainstream view when looked at from a global perspective.

A discursive thread essential to US politics is the idea that *anyone* can (and almost certainly will) get rich in the United States of America, and, because this notion is so widely subscribed to *against all evidence*, people with no hope of spectacular financial advancement find themselves voting to reduce taxes for the super-rich while reducing services for themselves.

This is, at least, how it appears to really anyone observing US politics from the outside, and of course, I'm sure many from the inside as well.

In addition, the federal structure of the government allows for complicated taxation systems, different from one state to the next, making conducting business much more difficult than in a nation with a national taxation system. Here in Australia we suffer a little from this duplication in government, but to nowhere near the same degree as in the US.

Surely, however (getting back to the topic), no one can really know what they are worried about until the IRS announces how the legislation will be implemented? And if Australian experience is anything to go by, if a reporting requirement is onerous to the point of convincing people to shut down their businesses, politicians *will* change it.

Really? Maybe I should move to Australia.

(no sarcasm or kidding!)

Edited by Barb860 (07/23/10 06:56 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#1480107 - 07/23/10 06:57 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Elissa Milne]
Mark_C Offline

.....if Australian experience is anything to go by, if a reporting requirement is onerous to the point of convincing people to shut down their businesses, politicians *will* change it.

Yes (usually). smile

Sometimes if not often, things get passed in a legislative bill without enough thought, and with unintended implications. Those things almost invariably get fixed.

A famous recent example was that in the health reform bill (probably the exact same one that John is talking about), if I understand right, the Senate unknowingly terminated its own health insurance.

I don't know how or if that has been fixed yet, but obviously it will be.

Back to the subject at hand: Not only don't we know how the IRS will implement it, but as seen from some of the posts, there's a lot of misunderstanding even just regarding simple aspects of what the regulation says. We're getting it cleared up as we go along (I think) smile .....and that's good.

#1480109 - 07/23/10 06:59 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Mark_C]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
.....if Australian experience is anything to go by, if a reporting requirement is onerous to the point of convincing people to shut down their businesses, politicians *will* change it.

Yes (usually). smile

Sometimes if not often, things get passed in a legislative bill without enough thought, and with unintended implications. Those things almost invariably get fixed.

A famous recent example was that in the health reform bill (probably the exact same one that John is talking about), if I understand right, the Senate unknowingly terminated its own health insurance.

I don't know how or if that has been fixed yet, but obviously it will be.

Yes, of course, obviously this would be fixed.
Now fixing things that will help small businesses and not the government? Not sure on that one...

#1480111 - 07/23/10 07:01 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Barb860]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Barb860
.....Now fixing things that will help small businesses and not the government? Not sure on that one...

You're quite right.
Congress won't necessarily be as motivated to fix things for people other than themselves. ha

But presumably motivated enough.

Assuming the "if" that you said up there: "....if a reporting requirement is onerous to the point of convincing people to shut down their businesses" (and I would add, or anything close to that).
And it's far from clear that this is so.

#1480198 - 07/23/10 10:14 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Elissa Milne]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Well, I'm glad you added the disclaimer, because if "anyone can get rich" is an "idea" that's "essential" to US politics it's news to me smile It sounds like maybe that "idea" is perhaps an overdramatization of "self-reliance", or "pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps" or "land of opportunity" or even "all men are created equal" - I dunno. I'm sure there are people who believe so. And many who don't. I suspect the idea that a great many people vote for those who would reduce taxes for the super-rich while reducing services for themselves is - over-simplified. I suspect it's much more nuanced than that. But hey, that's just me. I come from a not-rich family in Oklahoma - where boom and bust alternated all the time. And it was fairly obvious that those who were roughnecks on the oil rigs weren't likely to get rich smile But we were pretty conservative in our views of how much government was needed laugh

In addition, the federal structure of the government allows for complicated taxation systems, different from one state to the next, making conducting business much more difficult than in a nation with a national taxation system.

I guess overall I don't really know how much more or less difficult it is to conduct business in the US than some other country, so I'll pass up commenting on it. But there's certainly strong historical reasons for the pull between federal and local governments, from the very beginning. Whether the U.S. was simply a federation of independent states or a stronger union was a *huge* issue among the states as they hassled over what government organization they needed. It was a huge part of the issues that led to the Civil War/The War Between the States (depending on your point of view), which wasn't fought *only* about slavery or the expansion of it. States rights are still a live issue here, and that balance is being worked out continually in U.S. politics. And taxation is part of it. There was some discussion in the beginning even about import/export taxes between the states. There were issues of large states vs small states in representation in whatever government there was, and western states vs eastern states, and some of those issues are still quite live.

In my opinion, there is *no* ideal form of government, if for no other reason than that people won't agree on what "ideal" is laugh There are always trade-offs. I'm not familiar enough with Australia to comment, but I'd be willing to bet there's trade-offs there, too. *Everyone* trades off, and different individuals are willing to make different trades, including on tax issues laugh

There are legitimate concerns and values from many different perspectives. I may not see everything the way John, or rocket88, does, but the fact that each of us has a different viewpoint does *not*, as far as I can tell, mean that any one of us puts *only* *our* interests first. We have different views of what we want for our communities, and what makes them communities in which we want to live.

And those different views don't make us not adults, either laugh

That's the way I see it, any way.

And just to be clear, rocket really plays them blues smile

Cathy

Edited by jotur (07/23/10 10:15 PM)

#1480298 - 07/24/10 01:21 AM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: jotur]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hm. Guess I needed the "sarcasm on/off" icons as well.

If you don't agree with the blanket statements perhaps it would be better if you didn't make them that way in your posts. If you, for instance, said "some people aren't adults", or "some Americans vote ignorantly". MHO, of course smile

I often like your posts. But the ones here seem, uh, smug, to me - and overly generalized smile

I'm sure you don't see them that way. That's life smile

Cathy

You are right. A number of my formulations was insufficiently nuanced. I was also trying to be kind in my response to John by saying "people" rather than "you" which might be considered as a personal attack. In another post I formulated more correctly with constructions such as "to the extent that American people..." and "as long as people <engage in the specific mentioned behavior>".

However, in a democracy, what matters is often what a majority of citizens do.

The fact of the matter is, if I wanted to make the most accurate generalization of the voting behavior of Americans than that would have been more like this:

Perversely, a majority of Americans does not even bother to exercise their democratic right and privilege to vote in all the elections in which they have the opportunity to vote, making voter turnout and democratic participation one of the lowest in the developed, democratic Western world. frown

http://www.idea.int/vt/survey/voter_turnout_pop2-2.cfm

One reason for this can be the fact that, effectively, Americans are only allowed to meaningfully vote for one additional huge nebulous party than was allowed in the one-party Soviet communist system. National elections are organized around mass-marketing a personality cult of the "winner takes all" Presidential candidate rather than credible, differentiated political platforms to which government is held accountable for achieving. Voters can feel disconnected when they feel their vote doesn't matter (such as many local elections where only one candidate may be running for a position or in national elections when the popular vote is ignored to have the government appointed to the loser and a member of a wealthy, elite political dynasty by the supreme court or where no matter whom they vote for government appears to be only working for the companies that bought their Congressmen fair and square not the voter or that it appears that promises are impossible to keep or nothing really changes).

Edited by theJourney (07/24/10 01:33 AM)

#1480346 - 07/24/10 03:41 AM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: theJourney]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
jotur, the other qualification I should have added to the bit from me that you quoted: "in comparison to other countries".

Like many citizens of the world who aren't citizens of the US, I appreciate the historical events that have led to the US being the nation it is today - it is a fascinating history.

I'm typing explanatory text and find myself deleting it because I keep making jokes about Glen Beck. Argh.

Anyways, seriously, (and I'm now addressing anyone concerned about taxation) if businesses are going to be saddled with an reporting requirement and attendant accounting expense (time/money) that renders the business unviable you can bet your bottom dollar government (even in the home of anti-capitalist-sentiment US! haha!) will change the reporting requirement.

Of course, if you believe that government exists to exterminate business then you will not share my point of view.
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1485184 - 07/31/10 12:01 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: Elissa Milne]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here is a link to what's happening with this new law:

http://roadrunner.com/news/topic/article..._to_fix_new_law

#1485200 - 07/31/10 12:18 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: rocket88]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And, in closely related news, here's what's happening with the efforts to block any hard needed support to America's endangered small businesses while the big businesses who tanked the economy got away with a no-strings attached, hundreds of million dollar heist of the Treasury to keep paying themselves millions in bonuses while unemployment in the US is as high as 35% locally.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/us/politics/30cong.html

Amazing the ability of US Congressmen to speak out of both sides of their mouth for political advantage.

#1485205 - 07/31/10 12:24 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: theJourney]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Amazing the ability of US Congressmen to speak out of both sides of their mouth for political advantage.

What's amazing is that according to many posts on these forums, sleazy politicians only appear to live in the United States of America.

Politicians in all the other countries on the planet, on the other hand, are apparently as pure as the wind driven snow, because we never see posts blaming other countries for anything here on the Piano forums. But we see lots of anti-American statements.

#1485258 - 07/31/10 02:02 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: rocket88]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rocket88

What's amazing is that according to many posts on these forums, sleazy politicians only appear to live in the United States of America.

Politicians in all the other countries on the planet, on the other hand, are apparently as pure as the wind driven snow.

That would seem to be simply your biased assumption. Unless you can actually point to posts indicating that "Politicians in all the other countries on the planet, on the other hand, are apparently as pure as the wind driven snow."

#1485314 - 07/31/10 04:09 PM Re: New USA tax reporting requirement [Re: theJourney]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That is not a "biased assumption", but rather is an observation of a dichotomy.

You are right...there is a virtual complete lack of posts accusing politicians from countries other than the United States of sleaziness, malfeasance, idiocy, "not being an adult", etc, etc.

However, accompanying that lack is a continuous onslaught of anti-American statements, including statements against American politicians, most of which emanate from a tiny handful of posters. Those poster(s) use even the slightest and most oblique opening in a discussion about pianos and music to bash America, its Presidents, its laws, etc, etc.

I could post more than a few of those from just the past few months, Journey. Some of which you might find familiar.

But I will not, because this is a piano forum, and already I have contributed to breaking the forum rules by getting into politics.

But it is a rule I am willing to break, upon occasion, in defense of my country on threads where others have already broken the rule.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (A Guy, Akshay, AZ_Astro, ando, 36251, 46 invisible), 1718 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250803 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
30 minutes 25 seconds ago
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
34 minutes 38 seconds ago
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
Today at 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
Today at 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
Today at 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission