Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1481211 - 07/25/10 03:04 PM Another convert.. Method books?
zender Offline

Hey everyone,

As a new user, I just want to say hi and express my gratitude to those maintaining this great resource.

I am a 25 y/o everyday working stiff who does music on the side as a amateur. My experience is mostly in clarinet and bassoon of over 15 years. I also play electric bass. Will all this music experience I am definitely regretting not having better keyboard skills for composition and recording accompaniment (never took formal lessons).

From my days in prep school, I remembered everyone taking piano using the Suzuki method. I've grabbed a few books for self study and I'm making some progress, but I because of my background, I have a hole left in my soul which I think needs to be filled by a comprehensive method/reference book (sorry, bad humor).

Anyway, I remember from my clarinet days that there where great comprehensive all inclusive books like the Klose method ( http://www.scribd.com/doc/16753489/Klose-Clarinet-Method ) that when from absolute beginner to All-State band level repertoire (for the mere price of about $50-60 US upfront, its a BIG book). I wish I had a full blow reference book as such for piano, but I have not found anything yet.

My interest are just the fundamentals. I don't really have an issue with theory, prep school and jazz bass took care of that. I would eventually love to at least fake an attempt at anything from Chopin to Dream Theater to Stevie Wonder or Hiromi- maybe some Chick Corea. That's mostly talk and fantasy.. I'm still working the Suzuki books, fighting boredom. But Most importantly, I would like to have the tools available to compose and record on a higher level. I've heard about the Alfred series books, but I'm not quite convinced to make the investment. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by zender (07/25/10 03:12 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1481218 - 07/25/10 03:19 PM Re: Another convert.. Method books? [Re: zender]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Hi Zender and welcome to PW. Love the bassoon by the way. You say you want a reference book. But first, do you want to go the note reading and/or chord based route?

#1481227 - 07/25/10 03:29 PM Re: Another convert.. Method books? [Re: eweiss]
zender Offline

Absolutely the note reading route. I can fake a lot of pop songs already (Radiohead, Tori Amos), but I can't really use any intuition on the voicing or embellishments, since I have none! haha. Thanks.

I guess ultimately, If I could have one of each, and stay under $100, that would be fine too. I just don't want to start a method book collection for piano. I've already spend a lot for the other instruments I've mentioned.

Edited by zender (07/25/10 03:32 PM)

#1481356 - 07/25/10 06:53 PM Re: Another convert.. Method books? [Re: zender]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You can spend about ten bucks on a beginning method - maybe Alfred's or such to get your fingers going and knowing what they should do. It's actually a very good series when it comes down to it, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

After that, you begin with classical repertoire. http://www.kjos.com <--look under 'Keith Snell Piano Repertoire'

You could honestly just buy the "Beginning Piano Repertoire" and "Beginning Piano Technique" book, and ignore the method book altogether too. That comes to around $10 as well. Once completing those, the series breaks off into four books: Baroque and Classical (essential at early levels), Romantic and Contemporary (not so essential at early levels), and Etudes (mixed reviews on their value - I happen to like them), and Fundamentals of Piano Theory.

Don't think you'll get to Chopin without doing any theory. The amount you learned in band and such is not really enough for that (trust me, I know - clarinet and percussion were my life in high school).

If you have an interest in other styles, the same publisher has hired comtemporary artist to write in the styles of Jazz, Musicals, New Age, etc etc etc - and they're fun little pieces, I assure you, as my students tend to love those books the most! The more you do at any level is better, but don't be daunted by all the pieces in the books. You don't need to do them ALL at every level.

Suzuki will move WAAAAAAAAAA (deep breathe) AAAAAAAAY too quickly. You need something more progressive. Keith Snell is one, which I like, but there are many others:

Succeeding with the Masters
Masterwork Classics
First Impressions (said to be an intermediate method, but I've seen it used as a beginners method with adults after a few short hand-training weeks)
etcetcetc

I think you're best investment would be meeting with a teacher, if even once a month. That will get you learning quickly and effectively (hoping the teacher is good, of course).

Let us know more specifics and we can most certainly point you in more directions.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1481408 - 07/25/10 08:37 PM Re: Another convert.. Method books? [Re: ll]
zender Offline

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the information provided will be a good start. I've mostly confirmed my suspicions that there is not a Klose equivalent for piano. But the books that have been mentioned are relatively inexpensive on their own.

Out of curiosity, more explanation on the need for theory for Chopin would be appreciated. Certainly, I see the need for theory in constructing walking bass lines and improvising solos as I have done for jazz bass. The theory I studied in prep school was also quite extensive. Are you referring to some of the more complex chord structures such as 11ths 13ths or inversion chords? Is that music modal? I would be curious to understand the role of theory in being able to play complex music such as Chopin and Liszt...

#1481501 - 07/25/10 11:25 PM Re: Another convert.. Method books? [Re: zender]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You have to understand that no method - even Klose, which I first learned from as a child - is perfect. The only thing about Klose is that you're paying 60 bucks for a book that was essentially a compliation of sheet music with theory involved. Which is the same thing all those I mentioned are.

Theory will supplement you're knowledge of how to play what in the same regards a method book would. Thus, you use theory and sheet music together to create a personally crafted method. This is ideal because you can choose the pieces YOU want at every level. Trust me, you want to enjoy the pieces you're learning from in order to graduate.

Theory, specifically, is important because it helps you understand the direction and patterns of music - particular to the piano - at such high levels. This is essential.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
10/01/14 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
10/01/14 06:24 PM
The Steinway S in 1936
by Rich Galassini
10/01/14 06:21 PM
Yamaha CP5
by Synner
10/01/14 05:43 PM
Vice grip needle nose threaded bolt dimensions
by Olek
10/01/14 05:10 PM
Who's Online
125 registered (36251, A Guy, accordeur, ajames, 44 invisible), 1399 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157934 Topics
2319407 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission