Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1481036 - 07/25/10 09:31 AM Re: Piano Corner stagnant [Re: tomasino]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: tomasino

I'm well aware that most readers have no idea what I'm talking about, yet this happened right here in the west, and some of us are old enough to have lived through it--and it's a scandal.

Kind sir, would you please elaborate...because you're right, most of us don't know what you're talking about! Expand! expound! elaborate! educate us!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1481097 - 07/25/10 11:26 AM Re: Piano Corner stagnant [Re: jazzyprof]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
Originally Posted By: tomasino

I'm well aware that most readers have no idea what I'm talking about, yet this happened right here in the west, and some of us are old enough to have lived through it--and it's a scandal.

Kind sir, would you please elaborate...because you're right, most of us don't know what you're talking about! Expand! expound! elaborate! educate us!

Hans Eisler is another good example - he was a composer that had an international reputation for using music for political ends, communistic ends, and he was very vocal about it. He was brought up before the committee on UnAmerican Activities at one point. Though he defended himself against the charges (it's amazing how the committee bought his arguments at the time) he was finally nailed on technical charges.

He was the first hollywood artist brought before the committee, if I remember correctly. This was back in 1947.

#1481198 - 07/25/10 02:42 PM Re: Piano Corner stagnant [Re: Mattardo]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Nothing in tomasino's post contradicts what I have read. Much of this ground is covered in the books of Noam Chomsky, and I would urge anyone with an open mind to check them out. Be warned: they don't make easy reading. And one does tend to see the flag in a different light.

#1481282 - 07/25/10 05:10 PM Re: Piano Corner stagnant [Re: argerichfan]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Noam has some interesting reading at times, though I don't agree with everything he says.

I especially like his thoughts on sports being a replacement for gladiatorial events - a convenient way to let your citizens expend their testosterone and brain power on a harmless endeavor, rather than using them to start a revolt, or make serious changes in government. The regularity of sports is also something that makes for a concrete grounding to some people's lives, something they don't want to upset by being activists.

Frank Herbert had a similar idea in God Emporer of Dune - when he allowed the citizens to have their little religious riots, which would expend a lot of violence - with little effect on the overall stability of the society.

Are there any specific books you reccomend, Jason?

#1481326 - 07/25/10 06:08 PM Re: Piano Corner stagnant [Re: Mattardo]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I've always thought that American football is a modern form of gladiatorial combat. Where else can you cream someone without getting arrested for assault? grin As far as American sports go, baseball >>> football. smile

#1481413 - 07/25/10 08:51 PM Re: Piano Corner stagnant [Re: Mattardo]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Mattardo

Are there any specific books you reccomend, Jason?

Hi Mattardo,

Two books I would start with: 'Hegemony or Survival' and the subsequent book, 'What We Say Goes'.

The latter makes for embarrassing reading. There is a lot on the US involvement in Latin America, and how the US has systematically undermined every single attempt at democracy in Latin America. The US has always supported the most brutal dictators (memories of Indonesia?), and has even tried to undermine the Catholic Church's attempt to help the citizens of those countries.

US Big Business can only thrive under a dictator with the backing of US dollars. Americans need to understand that their 'freedoms' and plush way of life come at a terrible price to the rest of the planet. But nothing new there, eh? Look at the British Empire.

For all that, no one forced me to move to the US back in April, and in early July no one forced me to apply for citizenship. Obviously there were some extremely powerful factors involved. At 27 I made a life changing decision to leave the UK and jump-start my life. How many people here have done something so drastic? I gave up everything, took the train to Heathrow with only two suitcases (plus my laptop!) and took British Airways flight 49 to the US. I will not be returning to the UK.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (aesop, AndrewJCW, allakart, Alux, Allard, 20 invisible), 1064 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156827 Topics
2304355 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission