Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
106 registered (Anita Potter, ando, 36251, Auver, 31 invisible), 1305 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1481450 - 07/25/10 10:01 PM Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby"
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL

The story continues. If you listened to last week's episode, and followed the comments in the thread, you may remember two developments: 1) It's not Scott Joplin's piano, and 2) my wife was a little put out to find that I wasn't writing new lyrics to the song "I Love Her," as a birthday present for her; rather, I was professing my love for my piano (oops).

So, here is this week's installment:

Haddorff Postcard No.3

And, the musical selection, dedicated to my wife for her birthday this coming week:

"Yes Sir! That's My Baby" Music by Walter Donaldson, original words by Gus Kahn (New York: Irving Berlin, Inc., 1925) with a new third verse by Andy Strong, especially for my "baby"...

I hope you enjoy it! grin

--Andy

Next Week: Weeping Willow, I promise al-mahed!

#1481633 - 07/26/10 08:06 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Again, very nice playing and cool story! smile

And I'm looking forward to hear some rag on the Haddorff laugh

Working on: music

#1481635 - 07/26/10 08:09 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: al-mahed]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Very cute Andy! I think you're kissing up to your wife so you can get another piano.... What do you think???????? hehehe.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1481955 - 07/26/10 06:02 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Very nice!
You always manage to put a smile on my face, and this is something not many people can do. thumb
A pity you can't browse through my old scores, I've got plenty! smile

Music is my best friend.

#1482214 - 07/27/10 01:16 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: ChopinAddict]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Andy -

These just keep getting better and better !!!!!

You need to take your wife out dancing this coming weekend - and leave the Haddorff at home !!

#1482273 - 07/27/10 05:27 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: carey]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ha ha - hilarious, Andy!

I love the quasi-old-record voice you pull off for the music selection this week - very cool, very authentic ha - I'm still laughing. I really feel like you stepped right out of those old times, the inflections are spot-on. smile Heh - "I must say, she's really not that grey" is good!

The story, of course, is as entertaining as usual. Now you have the pencil used to write some of the best rag ever written!

Thanks again, Andy! Those old-time radio shows have nothin' on you .

#1482295 - 07/27/10 07:24 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Mattardo]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Happy birthday, Andy! Have a nice party with your Haddorff!

Music is my best friend.

#1482299 - 07/27/10 07:37 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Mattardo]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm really glad you are enjoying these! They are fun to prepare! They take so much time, though, that at some point, I'll have to take a break to actually WORK ON THE PIANO(s)! grin

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
[...]I'm looking forward to hear some rag on the Haddorff laugh

Soon, al-mahed! If I can just do a take of Weeping Willow that I can live with! blush

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
[...]I think you're kissing up to your wife so you can get another piano.... What do you think???????? hehehe.

Jer, "Don't even think about it!" were, I think, her actual words... And also, "No more pianos come in unless an equal number of pianos go out!" To be fair, my wife was the one who pointed out the actual ad in the paper for this very piano! Then, her actual words were, "I don't know why I'm telling you this, but..." grin

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
[...]You always manage to put a smile on my face, and this is something not many people can do. thumb

Ha-ha, CA! yippie Your comment gave me warm tinglies all over! Can you scan and post a picture of one of your favorite scores, or are they too fragile? (mine are falling apart!) eek

Originally Posted By: carey
[...]You need to take your wife out dancing this coming weekend - and leave the Haddorff at home !!

Indeed, carey! My wife actually said, "Do I need to sign us up for foxtrot lessons?" That would be a hoot!

Originally Posted By: Mattardo
[...]I love the quasi-old-record voice you pull off for the music selection this week [...]

Hey, Mattardo! I started out singing through a 20 oz. paper coffee cup with the bottom cut out (like a megaphone), but that wasn't quite right. Then I sang into an empty yogurt container--still wasn't right. Then I sang into a plastic bowl. That worked pretty well. When I mixed the tracks, I found a "filter," and that *really* did the job! (I'm still learning how to use this Cubase thing!) So, the guy on the phone at Frank's warehouse, and the guy singing the song are both processed with low *and* high tech means. laugh Also, it's a little weird, but I like the way the song turned out with the voice filtered, but the piano not filtered! crazy Also, that's pure piano on there--no EQ or reverb or anything! I'm tempted to sing "Ain't She Sweet" about my piano, but then, next week I might be singing "All Alone!" grin

#1482536 - 07/27/10 03:21 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDY!!

Working on: music

#1482543 - 07/27/10 03:26 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
[...]You always manage to put a smile on my face, and this is something not many people can do. thumb

Ha-ha, CA! yippie Your comment gave me warm tinglies all over! Can you scan and post a picture of one of your favorite scores, or are they too fragile? (mine are falling apart!) eek

ha Yes, they are very fragile, that's why they are in a box rather than on the shelf (I am not a fan of vacuum-cleaning paper crumbs), but if I come across something which I think you like, I will try. At any rate, I once found grandma's and grandpa's songs (two volumes) laugh. I have to confess I haven't played them much, but they are not in a bad condition and I could scan the index for you.... wink

Music is my best friend.

#1482883 - 07/27/10 11:42 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: ChopinAddict]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Al-mahed: Thank you!

CA: You wouldn't happen to have a copy of "Up The Lazy River" would you?

#1483357 - 07/28/10 05:49 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Andy:
Sorry, I went through all my old scores and didn't find it... frown

Music is my best friend.

#1483362 - 07/28/10 05:57 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: ChopinAddict]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you for checking, CA! You're a real sweetheart! I hope you had fun going through the scores, at least! smile

And, not to worry! I know I'll find it some day... And when I do, I'm gonna play the heck out of it! grin

Edited by Cinnamonbear (07/28/10 05:58 PM)

#1483384 - 07/28/10 06:11 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thank you... smile I also checked if they had it online, but I didn't find a free copy. Some sites sell it though...

Music is my best friend.

#1483636 - 07/29/10 06:58 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: ChopinAddict]
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Andy, that is a true relic and treasure of a piano!

#1486375 - 08/02/10 06:32 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Bill Bremmer RPT]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: cinnamonbear
...I started out singing through a 20 oz. paper coffee cup with the bottom cut out (like a megaphone), but that wasn't quite right. Then I sang into an empty yogurt container--still wasn't right. Then I sang into a plastic bowl. That worked pretty well. When I mixed the tracks, I found a "filter," and that *really* did the job! (I'm still learning how to use this Cubase thing!) So, the guy on the phone at Frank's warehouse, and the guy singing the song are both processed with low *and* high tech means. laugh Also, it's a little weird, but I like the way the song turned out with the voice filtered, but the piano not filtered! crazy Also, that's pure piano on there--no EQ or reverb or anything!

Andy - very impressed with your pre and post production. You honestly sound like different people, especially with the subtle panning of the voices. I love your committment! YOu could get a job singing like this (except for the yoghurt container stuck to you face ... might not look too good wink Loved the dodgy used piano salesman - so funny laugh Thank you. Now to down load next one.

I'm pretty sure I can tell where the Andy words kick in Haha. I don't know many old time songs, but so glad that I recognised this one.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1702071 - 06/25/11 10:50 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
MrMagic Offline

Loc: Stettler AB Canada
I stumbled on this thread. Absolutley love that piano, so charming! Don't ever tune it, you will ruin it!
Roland KR577
Roland VK-8M Tonewheel organ module
GigaStudio GS3 Ensemble (Bosendorfer & Estonia piano samples)
Roland E20, JV30 (retired)
An old concertina which I can't play

#1702095 - 06/25/11 11:33 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.3 with "Yes Sir! That's My Baby" [Re: MrMagic]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MrMagic
I stumbled on this thread. Absolutley love that piano, so charming! Don't ever tune it, you will ruin it!

Too late, Mr. Magic! See:

Haddorff Postcard No. 7

But good news! There are still five other Postcards with untuned Haddie! grin Let me know if you need the links, I'll be glad to share them. Thanks for listening!

--Andy

P.S., It's been awhile since she's been tuned, though, and she's drifting back to the Randomly Beating Frontier Temperament!

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
11/27/14 08:22 PM
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:58 PM
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:02 PM
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
11/27/14 04:43 PM
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
11/27/14 04:16 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159407 Topics
2341635 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission