Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1482723 - 07/27/10 08:15 PM In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper
WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Call me crazy, but I am really not that into Mozart. If music can be compared to visual arts, Mozart's music seems like wallpaper to me. Yeah, it is nice, structured, everything fits together perfectly, no harsh sounds, nothing out of place...but really, I could say that about the wallpaper in my bathroom. His music doesn't move me. In fact, I find it rather...(dare I say it?) boring.

Does anyone feel the same way? Anyone feel like bashing me over the head with a baseball bat?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1482728 - 07/27/10 08:23 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I think Romantic and 20th century music is generally more appealing to teenagers. Just an opinion.

No big deal if you don't like a particular composer now or even later.

Try these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE2muDZksP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvHN3fKUco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxcjxN0rPzs

Edited by pianoloverus (07/27/10 08:35 PM)

#1482731 - 07/27/10 08:24 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: WinsomeAllegretto
Anyone feel like bashing me over the head with a baseball bat?
I'm not a violent person, so, no. smile
But do yourself a favour. Go and see a really good performance of The Marriage of Figaro.

#1482732 - 07/27/10 08:27 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: pianoloverus]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I think Romantic and 29th century music is generally more appealing to teenagers. Just an opinion.

Hmm, typo or sarcasm?

Anyway, I was always more moved by his orchestral works than his piano works.

#1482733 - 07/27/10 08:27 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: pianoloverus]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I think Romantic and 29th century music is generally more appealing to teenagers. Just an opinion.

I think you have a point there. But I also love Baroque music, and even Haydn. I don't know...for me Mozart is so formal he totally leaves out all vestiges of life.

#1482734 - 07/27/10 08:29 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: currawong]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
I'm not a violent person, so, no. smile
But do yourself a favour. Go and see a really good performance of The Marriage of Figaro.

Ok, I will if I ever have the chance.

(Of course I thought I should point out that I am generalizing a bit)

#1482735 - 07/27/10 08:29 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
In fact, I find it rather...(dare I say it?) boring... Does anyone feel the same way?

I used to feel the same way. I described my conversion in a thread several months back; here's what I said:

For what it's worth... I used to feel a little similar. There was some Mozart I loved (the A minor sonata's first movement, the K.414 concerto's last movement, the Requiem). But by and large, I found a lot of Mozart to be boring, partly because I didn't think the compositions had enough individual character. Whereas every Beethoven sonata had its own unique personality, all of the Mozart sonatas tended to blend into each other.

But do keep an open mind. Mozart suddenly changed for me, one day four years ago when it just all clicked. I felt like I'd been using the wrong criteria. Instead of criticizing a lack of bold ideas that would have given these pieces the individual character I thought was missing, I was able to experience, for the first time, that simple flow and beauty which unifies all his music. To use a random Tolkien reference, I started viewing Mozart's pieces like elves: deep and graceful, but not necessarily well-developed individually, their depth coming from something collective. Whereas Beethoven's sonatas are like 32 distinct eccentric geniuses.

-J

#1482736 - 07/27/10 08:30 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
(WA is not a teenager.)

But you're right.

I like listening to Mozart, but I don't just LOVE and ADORE listening to Mozart.

HOWEVER, I greatly enjoy practicing and playing Mozart's music! Sonata K. 331 1st movement was a great learning experience for me, and had a wide range of moods, the 2nd movement (my favorite) was just SO beautiful, and actually fairly deep for Mozart, and the 3rd movement Rondo Alla Turca... Well, it's played a lot among younger students, but I got to brag to the rest of them about playing the whole sonata. wink And the Concerto 21 in C Major K. 467 1st movement was a BLAST. Although I wish I knew all three movements...

#1482738 - 07/27/10 08:36 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Orange Soda King]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beet31425
In fact, I find it rather...(dare I say it?) boring... Does anyone feel the same way?

I started viewing Mozart's pieces like elves: deep and graceful, but not necessarily well-developed individually, their depth coming from something collective. Whereas Beethoven's sonatas are like 32 distinct eccentric geniuses.

-J

I like that smile
Sometimes I just wonder if Mozart's music has artistic value. (But then again, I wonder what "artistic value" actually is)

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
(WA is not a teenager.)

Ummmm yes I am, thank you very much. ???

And the Concerto 21 in C Major K. 467 1st movement was a BLAST. Although I wish I knew all three movements...

I am generalizing. There are a few pieces by Mozart that stand out, and that is one of them.

#1482748 - 07/27/10 08:58 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

(WA is not a teenager.)

Ummmm yes I am, thank you very much. ???

Oh, I forgot. Give or take a couple months, hehe.

#1482756 - 07/27/10 09:05 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
for me Mozart is so formal he totally leaves out all vestiges of life.

Wow. All I can say is your soul must be made of ice. No life? Listen to the last movement of 488 and tell me you've heard another composer having so much fun. I can think of only a small handful of composers so full of life such as that found in Mozart's sheer.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1482761 - 07/27/10 09:09 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: stores]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
I can think of only a small handful of composers so full of life such as that found in Mozart's sheer.

Is Mendelssohn one of them? I often find a feeling of "life" in his music, too.

#1482765 - 07/27/10 09:12 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Orange Soda King]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I can think of only a small handful of composers so full of life such as that found in Mozart's sheer.

Is Mendelssohn one of them? I often find a feeling of "life" in his music, too.

Honestly, no. I'm not saying it's not there, but he doesn't jump to mind in this instance.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1482768 - 07/27/10 09:15 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: stores]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Oh. Who are some others, then?

#1482773 - 07/27/10 09:17 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Orange Soda King]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Oh. Who are some others, then?

Bach, Beethoven and Chopin come to mind immediately.

♪ ≠ $

#1482775 - 07/27/10 09:20 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: stores]
500 Post Club Member

Wow. All I can say is your soul must be made of ice. No life? Listen to the last movement of 488 and tell me you've heard another composer having so much fun. I can think of only a small handful of composers so full of life such as that found in Mozart's sheer.

Yeah, it's fun. But it's not like "real" life. In Mozart you always know what's coming next, or at least it's never completely unexpected.

However, who knows. I may be converted yet. I daresay in a few years I'll be head over heels in love with Mozart...

#1482785 - 07/27/10 09:37 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Grobanite23 Offline

Loc: United States
I'm like you WinsomeAllegretto, I haven't heard very much Mozart that I like, but I consider his Requiem to be one of my favorite works of music. Have you heard it?
-Bach Prelude and Fugue in Fm WTC II

#1482786 - 07/27/10 09:40 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Grobanite23]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Grobanite23
I'm like you WinsomeAllegretto, I haven't heard very much Mozart that I like, but I consider his Requiem to be one of my favorite works of music. Have you heard it?

I've heard parts of it, but not all. I'll have to look it up.

#1482806 - 07/27/10 10:08 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
[...]
However, who knows. I may be converted yet. I daresay in a few years I'll be head over heels in love with Mozart...

That is a good attitude to have. Just because Mozart hasn't yet touched doesn't mean that his music never will. Keep an open mind and be prepared for a revelation.

If you want a somewhat prosaic - OK, maybe even crappy ( word I never use!) - metaphor: Mozart's music can be likened to a lake on summer's day. All the bright glitter of the sunshine on the waters prevents one from seeing the hidden depths, allowing one to enjoy only the superficial beauty. But suddenly, when the light is right and the surface stills, you see just how deep the lake is, and how Mozart's music, to continue the metaphor, does plumb the depths of the human experience to a much greater degree than one initially felt.

There is great representation of the human condition in the music of Mozart, you just have to know that some day it will most likely reveal itself to you. Be glad when it does; be sorry for what you'll miss if it doesn't.

Regards,

#1482816 - 07/27/10 10:27 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Does anyone feel the same way?

Well, not me.

Quote:

Ditto. smile

I gotta wonder if maybe you haven't heard really good performances of Mozart.
Probably more than any other composer, Mozart depends on excellent performance.

#1482821 - 07/27/10 10:33 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Mozart is the only one apart from Andy smile who cheers me up...
Incidentally, I have met many people who usually don't like classical music who love Mozart. There is something magic about him.

Music is my best friend.

#1482824 - 07/27/10 10:35 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Mark_C]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Does anyone feel the same way?

Well, not me.

Quote:

Ditto. smile

I gotta wonder if maybe you haven't heard really good performances of Mozart.

What is the difference? How do the performers make it "excellent"?

#1482828 - 07/27/10 10:38 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: ChopinAddict]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Incidentally, I have met many people who usually don't like classical music who love Mozart. There is something magic about him.

That may be because he's one of the biggest names in classical music, as well as one of very, very few classical composers they know of.

My mom was the same, but ever since I got serious with classical music and she listened to me practice, came to concerts/recitals/competitions/etc. with me, and stuff like that, her favorite is composer is Ravel. She is in LOVE with my André Laplante CD.

#1482831 - 07/27/10 10:45 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Orange Soda King]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
It's interesting because Ravel has been and might always be one of my favorites. I love the different harmonies Ravel is able to create and the mix of refinement and rebelliousness that somehow coexist.

#1482858 - 07/27/10 11:17 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: BruceD]
Ferdinand Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: BruceD
[...]

That is a good attitude to have. Just because Mozart hasn't yet touched doesn't mean that his music never will. Keep an open mind and be prepared for a revelation.

If you want a somewhat prosaic - OK, maybe even crappy ( word I never use!) - metaphor: Mozart's music can be likened to a lake on summer's day. All the bright glitter of the sunshine on the waters prevents one from seeing the hidden depths, allowing one to enjoy only the superficial beauty. But suddenly, when the light is right and the surface stills, you see just how deep the lake is, and how Mozart's music, to continue the metaphor, does plumb the depths of the human experience to a much greater degree than one initially felt.

There is great representation of the human condition in the music of Mozart, you just have to know that some day it will most likely reveal itself to you. Be glad when it does; be sorry for what you'll miss if it doesn't.

Regards,

BruceD, that is a beautiful and apt metaphor.

I used to enjoy Mozart's music but never suspected its true depth until sometime in my 20's when I took time to listen to the Magic Flute, repeatedly, with full attention.

WA, I second Currawong's advice to attend a performance of The Marriage of Figaro. As an alternative you might try The Magic Flute, and if you never get to see it staged, there is a good film version directed by Ingmar Bergman.

#1482863 - 07/27/10 11:23 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
.....I gotta wonder if maybe you haven't heard really good performances of Mozart.
What is the difference? How do the performers make it "excellent"?

I think you have confirmed what I wondered. smile

Thanks for asking. (It's a very remarkable question.)

All I can say is, try to let yourself hear some more Mozart, and try to make sure it's by top people.

#1483081 - 07/28/10 10:06 AM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Mark_C]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Check this out:
Chamber Music of Mozart

A quote on some of the content:
"[...] explore the subtleties of Mozart’s technique as a composer: his ability to make art artless—music that is enormously complex and sophisticated but sounds effortless—and to know how and when to bend or break the rules of composition to create music that at times confused or even disturbed his audiences but would endure forever. "

One of the reviewers says:
"Nothing helps inspire a listener like a speaker who is inspired. Prof. Greenberg loves Mozart and that love is embodied in every word of his Mozart lectures."

Could it inspired you, WA?

(I haven't listened to this myself, but I'm in the middle of another one of Greenberg's courses, and I'm really enjoying it.)

#1483107 - 07/28/10 10:47 AM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: Mark_C]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast Pennsylvania
Listen to the slow movement of Piano Concerto number 23. Very, very beautiful.

#1483189 - 07/28/10 01:11 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Happy Birthday the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA
I think you have a point there. But I also love Baroque music, and even Haydn. I don't know...for me Mozart is so formal he totally leaves out all vestiges of life.

All of Mozart's music is well structured, but lifeless? Listen to any one of the late symphonies and say that. Or any of his operas (where I feel his real gift lies). I consider Mozart as second only to Beethoven in the amount of emotion that he puts into the classical style of music. And of course, Beethoven would not have been Beethoven had Mozart not gone before.

I have to agree with a previous point. If you are judging Mozart's music from what you hear at student recitals then I can see where you are coming from. As many say, Mozart is easy to play, but incredibly difficult to play well.

#1483209 - 07/28/10 01:46 PM Re: In which I compare Mozart to wallpaper [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah, it's fun. But it's not like "real" life. In Mozart you always know what's coming next, or at least it's never completely unexpected.

I think we're just used to treating Mozart as being an example of 'perfect' classical music - we miss the fact that his music was not just typical fare all the time, it became quite daring and different, very innovative, very surprising at times. We're so used to other composers, and the evolution of music, that we miss the truly exciting aspects of Mozart's music that his contemporaries saw. They saw, they shook their heads and didn't know what to think sometimes. It had to have been very depressing having to write music when Mozart was around.

I really would say that if you approached Mozart and forgot about everyone who came after him - you would find that his music is always surprising, always fresh, always full of new ideas. It's difficult, though.

I find my girlfriend is not amused at older movies, because the ideas, concepts and jokes are old-hat by now. I always ask her to put herself back in 1940 (or whenever the movie came out) and she would realize that it's not the older movie that is old-hat - it's because everyone after that movie stole the jokes and ideas and drove them into the ground. At the time - it was fresh and exciting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (Art_Vandelay, accordeur, aesop, 25 invisible), 1251 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156348 Topics
2296313 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianos in timber homes vs brick homes
by Jibbers
33 minutes 11 seconds ago
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
Today at 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission