Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1481992 - 07/26/10 07:16 PM Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170
JaneS Offline

Loc: Central Coast, CA
I have searched the archives and read many of the posts about first DP's - and that's where I am, ready to purchase my first DP. Like others, I have narrowed the search (online only at this point as there is nowhere close to me to play them) to the Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130 (or 330 if I can find one cheap enough), or Korg 170 (or sp250, again, if cheap enough). I have read that people love their particular DP and would recommend each of these, but does anyone regret buying any of these instruments? Do you wish you'd purchased one of the others?
thanks very much in advance,
Jane

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1482025 - 07/26/10 08:16 PM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: JaneS]
JoeyIsFunny Offline

I like my px-130, but it has some flaws. These flaws are in ALL the privias and celvianos because they all use the same sampling and technology for the most part. All in all, for the price the px-130 is very good, but i wish I had saved up and bought a p-120 or p-155.

The other side to this is that, for the money, the px-130 has very good key action, and since I use pianoteq now the px-130 is a good cheap midi controller.

#1482026 - 07/26/10 08:16 PM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: JaneS]
Pam T Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Jane, I hope you get some responses because I'm exactly where you are and have narrowed down to those three -- actually probably to the PX130 and the SP170. It seems like Yamaha isn't as much in the running as it used to be, and Casio has gained credibility. For me, weight is also a big factor. Hoping for some good info...

Pam
1961 Baldwin Hamilton Studio
Korg SP-170
www.facebook.com/pamwt
www.PamTurnerPiano.com

#1482158 - 07/26/10 11:15 PM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: Pam T]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I don't make the rules, and believe me I think DPs are too expensive for what they are, but buying anything below $1500 or so these days is a crying game.

#1482183 - 07/26/10 11:51 PM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: dewster]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Jane,
You say you want to buy your first DP. I am assuming you are starting to learn the piano. Any of the three pianos you have narrowed down to would be fine for a beginner. None of these is without flaws, but you have to realize digital pianos are imitations of an acoustic piano and have limitations. Even if you spend more, you may not be completely satisfied. As you develope your skill, you will recognize the limitations of what you own and at that point you simply upgrade. So having said all of this, it is wise to play what is in your budget and what is not so that you can compare and gain a frame of reference for what you like and don't like. The touch is the most important consideration because you can't change the action. Sound can be changed by hooking up to a computer and using software instruments which will have better sound than the onboard piano sounds of whatever you decide to buy. Take a good pair of headphones and take your time deciding. Then buy what meets your needs and your budget. Cheap pianos are fine to get started with. None of the major brands builds what I would consider to be a bad piano. I own a Casio PX-575 which happens to have noisy action. However, I like the action of the keyboard despite the noise and it has some very nice sounds and accompaniment which is also why I bought it.

Edited by galaxy4t (07/26/10 11:59 PM)

#1482257 - 07/27/10 04:45 AM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: galaxy4t]
PhilzPiano Offline

Loc: UK
If you are just starting and are unsure what to buy, why not buy a used keyboard? I bought a used Casio PX-110 from Ebay at a bargain price (third of new price). It's great for what I need right now and it's taken several months of playing for me to begin to understand the limitations of a cheaper keyboard. By the time I'm ready to buy my next one I will have a much better idea of what I'm doing and I have no doubt I will get my money back on the Casio. In the meantime I'm having great fun with it and have also tried using it with Pianoteq etc. I can't see me upgrading for some time yet.

Edited by PhilzPiano (07/27/10 04:46 AM)

#1482419 - 07/27/10 11:36 AM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: PhilzPiano]
JaneS Offline

Thank you all for your responses.

Dewster: I understand and agree, but this is my first (not last!) DP. I anticipate upgrading should I stay with the lessons, practice, and make progress. I'm not willing to spend more until I'm convinced I'll stay with it - and then I can sell and upgrade.

Galaxy4t: Yes, I've been taking lessons for almost 2 months and practicing on a 61 key keyboard without touch sensitivity or weighted keys (a free loaner) and I'm ready to practice on something better. I'm sure you are right - I'll upgrade when I improve and realize all the limitations my inexpensive DP has (or will have once I buy one). I wish I lived close to a store where I could try them out, but it's 3 hours to the nearest - a day trip next week.

PhilzPiano: Good advice and I've been checking craigslist and ebay, but people seem to want quite a bit right now for used equipment (there's a used Yamaha p85, but he wants $400 plus shipping and new they're going for around $500 with free shipping). Perhaps I'm being impatient - I'd like one now ;-).

thanks,
Jane

#1482426 - 07/27/10 11:51 AM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: JaneS]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jane,
The cheapest weighted digital is the Casio CDP 100. These usually sell for $399 and can be bought cheaper on sale. The PX-130 is sometimes on sale for $399, however you will probably want a wooden stand which costs roughly $100 more for a stage piano. Phil's advice is good, but as you found out, some sellers want what they paid new, and you have to be sure everything is working. A good rule of thumb is to offer no more than half of the original retail price.

#1482428 - 07/27/10 11:54 AM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: galaxy4t]
JaneS Offline

Thank you galaxy4t - I wondered what the general rule for used equipment was and now I have a baseline. Much appreciated.

#1482458 - 07/27/10 12:40 PM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: JaneS]
Michael Darnton Offline

Loc: Chicago
I've had a PX-130 for about nine months. I'm not unhappy with it, for what it is. I preferred the action and sound to the Yamaha (both were more realistic--especially, the light P85 touch doesn't correspond to any real piano I have access to). My only dislike, and it's not a regret, is that it's not a real piano--it doesn't have the same kind of resonance and presence (who are we fooling: it doesn't have any at all), nor volume range and type. I don't think spending more money on a digital (within reason) would change that fact, and it does cause me to play differently compared to how I play on a real piano. But for practicing, it's been fine, and I'm not unhappy at all.

#1482469 - 07/27/10 01:06 PM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: Michael Darnton]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Michael,
If you are after a better piano sound, you could try hooking up to a computer via the USB MIDI and trying piano plug ins like Pianissimo, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Ivory, etc. These have more dynamic range, presence, etc. that the 4 layer sample of the PX-130 lacks. Of course, it could be argued that these don't sound like a real piano either but they come much closer in my opinion.

#1482518 - 07/27/10 03:06 PM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg 170 [Re: galaxy4t]
Michael Darnton Offline

Loc: Chicago
Well, it really doesn't bother me. It's just a home practice piano, so I'm not trying to pretend it's something it's not.

#1482808 - 07/27/10 10:12 PM Re: Do you regret buying a Yamaha P85, Casio PX-130, or Korg [Re: Michael Darnton]
12345dan Offline

I bought a korg sp-170. It is fine except the black keys seem slightly harder to push down than the white keys. Does anyone else have this problem? I have the korg sp-250 as well.( It has uneven gaps between the keys. ) I also have the yamaha p140 and cp 33. I would go yamaha. I think their quality level is much higher.

Edited by 12345dan (07/27/10 10:15 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, alex-kid, ando, Almaviva, 37 invisible), 1421 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74213 Members
42 Forums
153520 Topics
2249728 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
16 minutes 19 seconds ago
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
19 minutes 29 seconds ago
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission