2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
This piece is now finished, oh and its about a good 4 minutes too:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n5578obljc1g66m

This particular piece was posted by me about a few months ago, and since then, I haven't really dedicated any of my time to composing, so recently, I have decided that I would finish this piece and post it here in the Composer's Lounge.

The beginning of the piece is the same as it was a few months ago, because I felt that it sounded good and it should be kept. However, right away when the piece starts to wander, I had to change that, and as some of you folks have suggested, I rearranged it to incorporate a melody. The rest of the piece is a variation of the theme, so the melody just repeats itself, but is varied in the last half of the piece.

If you listen carefully, you will notice there are quite a few accented notes, bumps, and bangs in the sound file. Please excuse those, because they are not really meant to be there and they are the result of my piano being screw up, as there a few keys that make banging sounds when you press down on them. I have a 170 Clavinova and this is quite a common problem for this brand of piano, so I am due to fix any of these problems soon.

Last edited by Claude56; 07/29/10 12:45 PM.
C
C
I like your composition. It reminds me a bit of Debussy. It sounds impressionistic. All that pentatonic scale runs - and you even use hemitonic pentatonics which make a very special sound. Sometimes there are repeating notes and these notes are disproportionately loud. Is this your intention?

Some time ago I did a similar composition for piano. If you like to hear it --> http://www.cisum.info/bild.mp3

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OMG This is so awesome! I agree it does sound like Debussy. How on earth did you come up with it?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sounds like Debussy! This is spectacular! Oh, what I would give to be able to use the Lydian mode and whole tones half as effectively as Debussy did or as you do. smile

C
OP Offline
C

Originally Posted by Cudo
Sometimes there are repeating notes and these notes are disproportionately loud. Is this your intention?

Some time ago I did a similar composition for piano. If you like to hear it --> http://www.cisum.info/bild.mp3

No, those aren't meant to be there. As in my original post, I said that those notes that are disproportionately loud are the result of a few of my keys not working on my piano. However, when I get my piano fixed, I am bound to add a few accents in the right places and some dynamics to this piece to spice things up to make things a bit more overly-sentimental smile

And your right, this piece was meant to sound melancholy like Debussy would sometimes do to his:)

Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
OMG This is so awesome! I agree it does sound like Debussy. How on earth did you come up with it?

It took me a little while to come up with it. The music started in my head when I was inspired by Debussy's Arabesque, and because Debussy's melancholy stuff is usually slow to medium speed, something stimulated the thought that if Debussy can make melancholy music slow, why can't I make melancholy music fast? This train of thought eventually led me to making up a piece like this.

There presented a problem though, if I was going to make Debussy's music fast and with a beat, there would have to be many harmonic changes taking place, because without the harmonics the piece would be boring. Debussy's melancholy music is usually diatonic, and since there is hardly many chords in any diatonic system, I had to make up my own ways of smooth modulation to get from one key to the next without having the listener realizing the change. After that, I applied those harmonically to this piece.

Oh, and in the future, I am going to make up an etude with pentatonics like this piece, but more rhythmically inspired by Chopins revolutionary etude. So now that I have the feel for composing fast melancholy Debussy pieces, I can apply this stuff towards making etudes. And absolutely I can apply this stuff to slower pieces.... however this next piece that I'm going to write will be extra colorful!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Debussey melancholy? That's a bit like saying that all music written in a minor key sounds sad. Debussey is to music what pastels and watercolours are to painting.

There are many tricks to enhancing diatonicism. Floating modality is an obvious one in this case, as is, say, floating tonality that uses pivots on the second note of a modern scale. (Eg- C maj, Eb maj, Gb maj., etc.).

Diatonicism doesn't have to be limited. Voicing alone can imply greater complexity than is actually present.

Very nice piece, by the way. You've a good ear for what makes for visual structure in a listener.

Last edited by gsmonks; 08/17/10 12:00 PM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I've listened to this piece a few more times, and have to say that it grows on you with each listen (even with those funky notes). I hope you'll repost the final version?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission