2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
SueKZ Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Can you all tell me what age you start students? I have a potential 4 yr. old student. What do you all think?

Sue
Private Piano Teacher since 2009
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My favorite starter age is 7.

At 4, it's not really piano lessons, but there are valuable musical activities that can be done at that age. There's a big article in the current AMT about it.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I would wait until age 5 or 6 depending on the child and the parent.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I start at 4.5 (if they're girls) and 5 (boys), but not privately. Most kids this age don't have the attention span long enough for a traditional lesson.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
But the ones that do have that attention span can grow up to be quite fine musicians.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I've taught 4.5 year olds and I would say the big thing is that even the bright ones can't handle more than 20 minutes to begin with.

But you need a completely different approach with this age group, and piano teachers tend to equate learning to play the piano with learning to read music. Separate these two skills and you'll have plenty to do with pre-literate children.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
S
S
My favorite starting age is first grader. I think boys or girls at this age should be able to start piano lesson with no major problems. Anyone who is in kindergarten or preschool, I interview them to decide if they are ready for piano lesson or not. I design ten tasks for them to complete. Those who score 8/10 and above can take piano lesson with me. Those score lower has to come back and perform the tasks again in 3 months.

K
K
Hi Sue,

My opinion is that I think it depends on the child. I've taught 4 and 5 year olds who have excellent attention spans, can sit well and are very immersed in the lessons. I have a couple right now who do well in their half-hour lessons.

During the lesson I do try to mix things up by integrating piano playing, ear-training, games, note-writing activities, etc., so it's not just the child sitting there and playing on the keys and listening to me lecture for half an hour straight. I might also change the order of those things at every lesson so there's an element of newness every week for the child.

On the other hand, I have older students (i.e., 7, 10, yrs old) who have really short attention spans! I have also turned away 4 year olds who couldn't sit still for 5 seconds.

So I think it really depends...maybe you could meet with the potential student in person along with his/her parents, do a trial lesson and see how it goes.

Also, I'd like to add that my 4 or 5 year old students have parents who are very involved in their musical education and monitor their practicing. This contributes to their success as well.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As has been already noted, much depends on the parent(s) so careful evaluation of the parent and attitude is really important in making your decision. Basically, the younger the student, the more engaged the parent will have to be. Are they willing to spend two or more short work sessions at the piano every day? Are they willing to commit to some degree of structure in the child's life? If the answer is no, then pass.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Originally Posted by Big piano
My favorite starting age is first grader. I think boys or girls at this age should be able to start piano lesson with no major problems. Anyone who is in kindergarten or preschool, I interview them to decide if they are ready for piano lesson or not. I design ten tasks for them to complete. Those who score 8/10 and above can take piano lesson with me. Those score lower has to come back and perform the tasks again in 3 months.

I'm quite interested in the way you choose your younger students. What sort of tasks do you give them to do, and how exactly do you grade them?

"Where words fail, music speaks." --Hans Christian Andersen
S
S
Can he read abcdefg and 12345 on the page?
Can he find two black keys on piano after I show him the first one?
Can he track with his finger from left to right on the page?
Can he use scissors?
Can he name the finger numbers after I show him one time?
Can he color fairy well between the lines?
Can he clap according to metronome in slow and in fast?
Will he response to music when I turn on my iPod?
Can he sit still for 20 minutes during interview?
Can he learn at least three songs on the first interview sessions?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with Smallpiano. I am not a teacher but a mother of a child who very successfully started piano lessons at age 4. He was a reader, he was extremely interested in music, he could certainly sit still for more than 20 minutes, and he could quickly learn very simple songs written out (first in the letters of the keys but within weeks written out on the bass and treble clef). I truly appreciated the teacher's willingness to "interview" my son. While she didn't regularly take students as young as he was, she happily accepted him once she recognized his interest. That being said, I am sure you are expecting that he is an accomplished pianist now (at age 14). He is not!!!! He stopped playing the piano at age 10, because he fell in love with the saxophone. You can never know about these things, but I suspect that music will not be his
"profession," but rather simply a source of gratification in life (i.e., a hobby). Regardless, I still appreciate the willingness of his very first piano teacher to accept him as her student. She gave him a gift that he continues to enjoy today.

Christine

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission