2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by Mattardo
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, it might provide some clues.
This is going from the Henle Verlag edition - supposedly urtext. If this has already been compared, please forgive me.

Measure 104, the triplets are now explicity written in the lower stave. If you look at measure 30 and on, the triplets are actually written back and forth on the two staves - to me it implies using two different hands for the triplets, to deal with the whole note. I say that, because it would have been just as easy to have written them on one stave - as in most of the passages.

The big difference in 104, is that the whole note is replaced with a shorter note and does not need to be sustained. It makes sense to write the triplets that way, because of this. It seems to be standard piano notation. So it's not necesarry to notate the triplets on 2 different staves - it seems to be okay to cross hands here for the vocal line.

The 1st Edition shows the same practice. http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/2/29/IMSLP51116-PMLP01462-Op.31-2.pdf
Perhaps it we ask Stores nicely, he will tell us about the autograph - he owns many reproductions about them. This is assuming an autograph is available.

See, in my Schenker edition, I too have in m. 104 the upper staff in Bass clef and the lower staff in treble, indicating that the LH should cross over the RH. But what of m. 21-22? In this edition, the upper staff in Treble clef, and the lower staff remains bass clef. Also, m. 104 lacks the tied whole notes that are in m. 21-24. Is this also the case in your urtext?

In Henle - measures 21-on, the triplets are in the lower stave, and the melodic line ends up in the upper stave. The tied whole note is present as well - it ties for 3 measures in both instances.

In measure 104, and on - mine is like yours: it's a quarter note, staccato with the the melodic line in the lower stave - indicating left hand to play it.

It's in the latter case that it becomes permissible, in my opinion, to start switching hands - the staccato quarter note gives the player the freedom to do so: it's not needed to sustain the missing whole-note.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M

In Henle - measures 21-on, the triplets are in the lower stave, and the melodic line ends up in the upper stave. The tied whole note is present as well - it ties for 3 measures in both instances.

In measure 104, and on - mine is like yours: it's a quarter note, staccato with the the melodic line in the lower stave - indicating left hand to play it.

It's in the latter case that it becomes permissible, in my opinion, to start switching hands - the staccato quarter note gives the player the freedom to do so: it's not needed to sustain the missing whole-note.

That is how mine is as well. And I agree with your assessment and that is how I learned the piece as well.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Victor25
Very interesting thread this. I have always used the hands crossed approach as it seems very logical, and I know other pianists (Barenboim for example, you can see him on youtube) do it too. But the sustained notes is indeed a good argument. We have to bear in mind though that Beethoven was also the man that put crescendo's on single notes, not everything he writes is possible, he was thinking far ahead of his time.

But we don't have to consider it in this case because it is very possible to play this without blips and without crossing hands. Gould crosses hands but makes mistakes on that part (he does the best at holding the bass using this method though), so crossing over doesn't ensure a seamless performance.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
For me, maybe the main outcome of this 'argument' (like many others on the site) is that it makes me more interested in the piece than I ever was before. I hope that's true for others too.

I can agree with that! thumb

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
.....You said.....
"However, I was glad to learn (better to know than not to know) that there's such a large view in favor of playing the movement in a way that I had thought was just misguided. (This included my checking on youtube to see if people actually play it that way -- and I see that they do.)"

I guess you honestly can't tell that what you claimed I said (i.e. that most pianists do it that way) is very different than what I did say (which you quoted here).
You're nitpicking in the extreme. If I change it to most editions and some pianists I guess you'd be happy, and my point is just as valid. That's why I compared your posts to Reuben Fine's "answer" to the question about Fischer's moves.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Perhaps it we ask Stores nicely, he will tell us about the autograph - he owns many reproductions about them. This is assuming an autograph is available.

There isn't an autograph for the dminor and there's very little sketch material. The sketches that do exist are from what's known as the Kessler sketchbook (Kessler, is Joseph Kessler, a composer and pianist to whom the book was given by Carl Andreas Stein from the family of piano builders). Though few sketches for 31/2 are included the Kessler sketches are one of the very few completely intact sketchbooks in existence today (i.e. no leaves have ever been removed).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Originally Posted by stores
There isn't an autograph for the d minor.....

Want to offer a thought on what it would show if there were one?

i.e. How Beethoven was conceptualizing the hands and the pedaling in those passages?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd love to see that autograph, as well.
You sent me links to many of your photographs at one time, Stores - is this among your collection, or do you have some nice photographs of it you can share with us all?

Don't make me make Mark_C beg ha

>:)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You sent me links to many of your photographs at one time, Stores - is this among your collection, or do you have some nice photographs of it you can share with us all?

Umm, there ISN'T a dminor autograph, Matt. It's not that I don't have it there just isn't one. Reread my post above. So solly.
And by the way the photos you saw were a very small portion of the facsimiles, etc. that I own. I don't have photos of everything (it would take a long time to shoot), but one of these days I'll try to make everything accessible.

Last edited by stores; 07/30/10 05:24 PM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There isn't an autograph for the d minor.....

Want to offer a thought on what it would show if there were one?

i.e. How Beethoven was conceptualizing the hands and the pedaling in those passages?

Well, in my opinion it would probably show very much the same thing the first edition (Simrock,1802) shows, which can be found on IMSLP (it's actually the first edition listed). My best guess is that he'd leave the technical aspect of something like hand crossings to the performer, since it's such an individual thing. Beethoven, wasn't quite so free with his pedal markings, however and his indications are still rare even at this point. When he does indicate pedal (as well as it's "leaving point") it's something we should pay attention to, if we're wanting to play it his way, because there's often a strong reason he's left the indication (or not).
Personally, I can't imagine switching hands with the triplets. It's MUCH easier to crossover and as a result there is no break in the continuity, nor is there any accent (or blip I guess we're calling it?...if that's what you meant). It is, of course, entirely possible that Beethoven MAY have changed hands himself with the triplets seeing that for one he possessed excellent technique and the keys of the Viennese pianoforte had not yet begun to widen quite as much as they would in a few, short years. I also cannot imagine using very much pedal at all in this area, nor would I on an early instrument. The triplets, the rate of speed at which they're played and the register they lie in are all a recipe for mud once you throw in much pedal.

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Umm, there ISN'T a dminor autograph, Matt. It's not that I don't have it there just isn't one. Reread my post above. So solly.
And by the way the photos you saw were a very small portion of the facsimiles, etc. that I own. I don't have photos of everything (it would take a long time to shoot), but one of these days I'll try to make everything accessible.

Ah, duhhh.... that's what happens when I post at 2 in the morning.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have played it the other way now, and it actually makes quite some sense. You can hold the note down without having to use pedal and muddying it up, and its only in the first exposition (measures 21 - 37). You can see the long notes extended with slurs, and its only possible to play that without crossing hands. But the rest of the piece you do cross hands, but you can see that it is written on the second stave then, so again makes perfect sense. This thread has been an enormous help! It also seems more logical now that he uses the b note twice after eachother in measures 31-32 and so on, instead of a continues stream of 3thds. When the other hand picks over it repeats the last note. Beethoven is fascinating.

Last edited by Victor25; 07/31/10 09:03 AM.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
M
M

Personally, I can't imagine switching hands with the triplets. It's MUCH easier to crossover and as a result there is no break in the continuity, nor is there any accent (or blip I guess we're calling it?...if that's what you meant). It is, of course, entirely possible that Beethoven MAY have changed hands himself with the triplets seeing that for one he possessed excellent technique and the keys of the Viennese pianoforte had not yet begun to widen quite as much as they would in a few, short years. I also cannot imagine using very much pedal at all in this area, nor would I on an early instrument. The triplets, the rate of speed at which they're played and the register they lie in are all a recipe for mud once you throw in much pedal.

Just a comment here...I'm not one of great technical prowess and yet I had no trouble switching hands on the triplets. I recall starting out trying to use the pedal, but as you say, it turned to mud, and my teacher suggested switching hands. I do not "blip" at this, and so it is not a difficult thing to do. I play the whole note with my LH while the RH continues the triplets for the first beat, then the LH takes them over on beat 2. I don't try to switch immediately at the bar line. I think this makes for a smoother transition, and as I said, it was not that hard to work it up to speed after enough slow practice. I think anyone who is ready to attempt this piece would be capable of this.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
It also seems more logical now that he uses the b note twice after eachother in measures 31-32 and so on, instead of a continues stream of 3thds. When the other hand picks over it repeats the last note. Beethoven is fascinating.

Yes, that is a whole different issue at this point, where you have the repeated notes across the bar lines. It is odd that m. 30 he does not have those repeated notes, but m. 31 and on with the same figures transposed up a step he does repeat the notes. However, at this point we do not have tied whole note sin the base and so I do cross over hands here. I change the fingering on the triplets from 5-2 to 1-4 to aid in the repeated note, and the pedaling is not much of an issue due to no longer needing to play a p melody right after while holding down the tied whole notes.

It's odd, though, because when you bring it up to speed, I don't think you can really hear that repeated note. I wonder now if that was an editorial error in m. 30 or if that was intentional to not repeat the notes, and what purpose it served if it were intentional by Beethoven.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Morodiene
It also seems more logical now that he uses the b note twice after eachother in measures 31-32 and so on, instead of a continues stream of 3thds. When the other hand picks over it repeats the last note. Beethoven is fascinating.

Yes, that is a whole different issue at this point, where you have the repeated notes across the bar lines. It is odd that m. 30 he does not have those repeated notes, but m. 31 and on with the same figures transposed up a step he does repeat the notes. [...]

The other point to consider is that if the B were not repeated in measure 32 (and the C in measure 34, etc., etc.) and if the triplet were to continue in alternating notes, then on the third beat of each measure you would have an open octave sounding with the upper note in the upper stave. Could it be that Beethoven made this change at this point to avoid the open octave?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
M
Originally Posted by BruceD

The other point to consider is that if the B were not repeated in measure 32 (and the C in measure 34, etc., etc.) and if the triplet were to continue in alternating notes, then on the third beat of each measure you would have an open octave sounding with the upper note in the upper stave. Could it be that Beethoven made this change at this point to avoid the open octave?

Regards,

Ah, good point! I see in m. 29 that he doesn't begin with the alternating 4th, but a descending 5th which does not happen in m. 31, thus the triplet pattern is not the same and thus not in danger of the open octave on beat 3 in m. 30, whereas it is as you say in m. 32 a possibility if the pattern is not reversed in the previous measure.

Thanks for pointing that out! Although I do wonder how audible that open octave would be up to tempo, it is a valid point.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Audible or not, I guess he just wanted to get it right smile. @ Morodiene, from that measure on there is indeed not the tied note, however it is a whole note, and must be held down the whole measure. Something I can only do by switching hands for the triplets. So I switch hands now in measures 21-37 and cross-over in the rest of the sonata (no not the whole sonata haha, would be funny though).

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission