Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1486130 - 08/01/10 07:37 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Brandon_W_T]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Ravel's "Mother goose suite" gets me all of the time.
Schubert - Drei Klavierstücke D. 946
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata op.28

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1486142 - 08/01/10 07:58 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: currawong]
FunkyLlama Offline

Mahler's 9th, or sometimes his 6th.
Originally Posted By: currawong
Butterworth - Shropshire Lad Rhapsody
Bloody hell. As a resident of Shropshire I'd like to express my surprise that it has contributed anything apart from rising crime rates.

Edited by FunkyLlama (08/01/10 07:59 PM)

#1486154 - 08/01/10 08:27 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: carey]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: carey
Yes - I believe it was used in the theme song for the Star Trek TV series - also in several old science fiction flicks - and by a few rock groups.

It is EXTREMELY difficult to control the pitch - and therefore frustrating to play. Give me a piano any day !!!

Back to topic - my favorite piece without a piano - HANDS DOWN - is the following.......(Brahms - How Lovely is Thy Dwelling Place)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZcxpl30NOw&feature=related

Carey you made my morning with that Brahms. thank you

Perhaps I'll stick with cello after all, as someone has hinted at least I can put coloured spots on the fingerboard so I know where the notes are laugh

My favourite non piano piece of the day: Jean Alain's Litanies (for organ). Anyone know or play this?

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1486157 - 08/01/10 08:38 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Canonie]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Canonie
Yes - I believe it was used in the theme song for the Star Trek TV series - also in several old science fiction flicks - and by a few rock groups.

It is EXTREMELY difficult to control the pitch - and therefore frustrating to play. Give me a piano any day !!!

Back to topic - my favorite piece without a piano - HANDS DOWN - is the following.......(Brahms - How Lovely is Thy Dwelling Place)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZcxpl30NOw&feature=related

Carey you made my morning with that Brahms. thank you

Perhaps I'll stick with cello after all, as someone has hinted at least I can put coloured spots on the fingerboard so I know where the notes are laugh

My favourite non piano piece of the day: Jean Alain's Litanies (for organ). Anyone know or play this?

Canonie -

The Litanies can be found on this website (scroll down) - I'm listening to it right now. Absolutely terrific !!!!

http://www.die-orgelseite.de/specials/stmatthias/stmatthias_e.htm

And yes - I would think that the cello is much more satisfying to play than the Theremin !! thumb

#1486162 - 08/01/10 08:53 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: carey]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I am so glad you like Litanies. I don't ever meet people who have even heard of Alain. Almost makes me want to take up pipe organ.

Yes today I love my cello because yesterday I played at a first rehearsal for a project and it was all good. Playing with others has it's special rewards.

Another favourite (well known) offering: Schubert Death and the Maiden string quartet.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1486169 - 08/01/10 09:01 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Canonie]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
....Another favourite (well known) offering: Schubert Death and the Maiden string quartet.

I have a story -- about how smart I and my friends are. ha

One time a few of us drifted into an auditorium where students were rehearsing a string quartet. Their teachers, who happened to be a well-known world-class quartet, were sitting in the back. We sat behind them. None of us knew the piece but we all realized it was obviously Beethoven. (We 'mouthed' his name back and forth, and nodded.) At the end, my friend leaned over and asked one of the teachers, "What quartet was that of Beethoven?"
He answered, "Death and the Maiden by Schubert." smile

#1486178 - 08/01/10 09:07 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Canonie]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
I am so glad you like Litanies. I don't ever meet people who have even heard of Alain. Almost makes me want to take up pipe organ.

Well not me! I studied that at uni, but it's peaches compared to the Trois danses. cry

#1486179 - 08/01/10 09:08 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Brandon_W_T]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Brandon_W_T
Originally Posted By: John_B
Originally Posted By: Brandon_W_T
Well he -did- write it. smile

My teacher said the whole hoax thingy was resolved and he did apparently in fact write the entire piece.

His score on the inside cover even tells of the pieces entire history and the misconception.

Are you quite sure about that it wasn't written by Giazotto. It is *very* different to any other Albinoni I have ever heard!

Thats why there was a debate. Ill have to check it when school starts.

Brandon, don't forget to ask your teacher. I'm really very interested, because even Giazotto never claimed the entire work was written by Albinoni. I'm betting you've simply confused Giazotto (who actually composed the Adagio entirely), for Albinoni (whose work, or rather 6 measures supposedly provided the basis for Giazotto's work, which it did not).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1486180 - 08/01/10 09:12 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Kuanpiano]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

That is a piano piece.

#1486181 - 08/01/10 09:12 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: argerichfan]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Try this very kinetic video and see if it doesn't excite:

#1486227 - 08/01/10 10:36 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: BDB]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: BDB
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

That is a piano piece.

I mean the orchestrated version. Ravel does a fantastic job of creating the perfect colours and textures that fit the original so well.
Schubert - Drei Klavierstücke D. 946
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata op.28

#1486238 - 08/01/10 10:50 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: mr_roberts_z]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
always love Beethoven's quartets, and this one in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tloHirqshTA&feature=related

#1486268 - 08/01/10 11:29 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: FunkyLlama]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FunkyLlama
Bloody hell. As a resident of Shropshire I'd like to express my surprise that it has contributed anything apart from rising crime rates.

Yeah I know, not a lot of fun to change trains in Shrewsbury.

But otherwise, have you been to Chichester lately? I was there back in 2006 and was positively appalled at the open drug use, even within the cathedral precinct. I saw that in Gloucester also, and when I asked about it, no one seemed to care. When a portion of England's youth are systematically destroying their lives in the shadow of Gloucester Cathedral, doesn't anyone care?

It is probably beneath the attentions of the Anglican Church, which collectively seems more intent on fighting out the GREAT issues of ordaining women and gay priests. No wonder it has little relevance today. But Chr*st almighty, I have gotten into serious problems with conservative Anglicans, their world is too smugly special and deep-frozen in time.

#1486269 - 08/01/10 11:30 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: signa]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia

Bach -- Double Chorus ("Wir Setzen Unst") from St. Matthew Passion, Concerto for Two Violins
Mozart -- Symphonies No. 35 ("Haffner") and 41 ("Jupiter")
Beethoven -- String Quartets Op. 130 and 131, Symphonies No. 3,4,6,7 & 9
Mendelssohn -- Octet for Strings
Brahms -- Symphony No. 4
Wagner -- Liebestod from "Tristan and Isolde" (Eileen Farrell)
Mahler -- Symphony No. 5 (Adagietto) and No. 9
R. Strauss -- Death and Transfiguration, Suite from Der Rosenkavalier (arr. Dorati), Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks
Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Song of the Nightingale
Shostakovich -- Symphonies No. 1, 5 & 11
Rutter -- What Sweeter Music
Ravi Shankar -- Raga Bhimpalasi

#1486270 - 08/01/10 11:32 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: argerichfan]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Carmina Burana. I was the rehearsal accompanist for a local symphony that did it, and every day I was more amazed by the piece.

#1486534 - 08/02/10 11:42 AM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: jeffreyjones]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Wow I totally forgot about quartets.. and I have to go now so don't have time to list them all - will be back!

(P.S. I am never pulling all nighters again before I have to play in public... so..... tired...)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1486592 - 08/02/10 01:08 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: carey]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Lilylady - There's really nothing to mark since you play the Theremin with your hands in the air - in relation to an antenna. You simply need to find a given pitch....then try to keep the other pitches you play consistent with that pitch. And you betcha the sounds produced are borderline - unless you really know what you are doing !!! The slightest wrong movement can throw the whole thing off !!

I would think that there would be a way if one used a marking stick next to the Theremin. Heck, don't we use Black Keys to help us mark a jump on the piano? I was just thinking that one could do the same on the Theremin until one got used to the pitch maneuvre!

#1486597 - 08/02/10 01:14 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: lilylady]
Mark_C Offline

I figured you meant something like that.....and I wonder if it would work or if the positioning might vary at different times -- y'know, according to 'atmospheric conditions.'

(No smiliey, because I'm serious.) smile

#1486635 - 08/02/10 01:49 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Mark_C]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I'm going to add a couple more.In fact I could go on for ever, and if someone doesn't stop me, I probably will.
I'm a tremendous sucker for heart on the sleeve romanticism.

#1486637 - 08/02/10 01:52 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: lilylady]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lilylady
Lilylady - There's really nothing to mark since you play the Theremin with your hands in the air - in relation to an antenna. You simply need to find a given pitch....then try to keep the other pitches you play consistent with that pitch. And you betcha the sounds produced are borderline - unless you really know what you are doing !!! The slightest wrong movement can throw the whole thing off !!

I would think that there would be a way if one used a marking stick next to the Theremin. Heck, don't we use Black Keys to help us mark a jump on the piano? I was just thinking that one could do the same on the Theremin until one got used to the pitch maneuvre!

Even with a marking stick there would be fluctuations in pitch caused by how the hand and fingers are held held. I simply visualize a piano keyboard when I play the Theremin - and judge the leaps accordingly.

Performing on the Theremin reminds me of Professor Harold Hill's "think method" for playing band instruments. Its all very intuitive.

#1486640 - 08/02/10 02:02 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: carey]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
[quote=carey
Even with a marking stick there would be fluctuations in pitch caused by how the hand and fingers are held held. I simply visualize a piano keyboard when I play the Theremin - and judge the leaps accordingly.

[/quote]

I hold hold my hand hand and fingers this this this way...

Will it help? (just teasing!)

So do the tones go UP in the air or SIDEWARDS in the air? It seems that the lady playing doesn't move one hand much and the other seems to be for vibrato or tremolo.

I am fascinated by this instrument/technology.

#1486660 - 08/02/10 02:22 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: lilylady]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Yay!

Dvoraks cello concerto with Rostropovich!!!!

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1486670 - 08/02/10 02:35 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: lilylady]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

[quote=carey

I hold hold my hand hand and fingers this this this way...

Will it help? (just teasing!)

So do the tones go UP in the air or SIDEWARDS in the air? It seems that the lady playing doesn't move one hand much and the other seems to be for vibrato or tremolo.

I am fascinated by this instrument/technology. [/quote]

Lilylady -

Guess I missed missed the typo typo !!! grin

The RH controls the pitch - horizontally (sideways). The closer the RH is to the vertical antenna, the higher the pitch. The RH also conrols the vibrato. The LH vertically controls the volume (the farther from the horizontal antenna, the higher the volume) and can completely cut off the sound when placed close to the horizontal antenna.

#1486686 - 08/02/10 02:58 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: carey]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
If you read the article in the 137.com link above, he tells you how it works. wink

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1486688 - 08/02/10 02:59 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: carey]
Mermanof83 Offline

Loc: California, USA
I don't listen to much non-piano classical, but this blew me away the first...and second and third and fourth and, well...every time I've heard it.

And of course, Bach's Cello Cliche No. 1 is great. And I quite liked all of The Planets...

#1486700 - 08/02/10 03:09 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Mermanof83]
Mark_C Offline

Nice!

And if you're doing that, I think we need to do the BRUCH Scottish Fantasy too! (here's the last mvt):

#1486701 - 08/02/10 03:13 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: lilylady]
Mark_C Offline

.....It seems that the lady playing doesn't move one hand much and the other seems to be for vibrato or tremolo....

Looks to me like she does most of it with her eyes. ha

But seriously folks smile .....I think one hand regulates pitch, and the other hand does the volume. You get the vibrato by 'vibrating' the pitch hand (and maybe sometimes the volume hand too).
(edit: I see that Carey already covered it.)

Edited by Mark_C (08/02/10 03:14 PM)

#1486726 - 08/02/10 04:02 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: BDB]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Beethoven's 9th symphony, I just can't live without it anymore

And you guys cheat, he said 'favorite piece' not 'pieces'

Edited by Victor25 (08/02/10 04:05 PM)

#1486882 - 08/02/10 08:42 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: Victor25]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Victor25
Beethoven's 9th symphony, I just can't live without it anymore

I was just thinking of the same piece... smile

Music is my best friend.

#1486945 - 08/02/10 10:07 PM Re: Favorite piece without a piano [Re: ChopinAddict]
Erus Offline

Loc: Mexico

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, 36251, 48 invisible), 1825 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153549 Topics
2250377 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
by noobpianist90
04/18/14 01:51 PM
A new performance experience... Need advice.
by Svenno
04/18/14 01:46 PM
Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
by voxpops
04/18/14 01:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission