Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1486211 - 08/01/10 10:23 PM Casio AP620 Design Flaw?
Gorm Laben Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Long time lurker; first time poster. Love the forum!

Been teaching myself for a year and am soon to get some professional help. This stuff is great! Though, I've been on a 61 key board and it's time.

I recently purchased the new Casio AP-620. The sound is magnificent, the weighted-hammer keys are better than anything else I have tried anywhere near the price point.

Unfortunately, the keys seem loose - they can touch each other and often do when playing, and frequently they 'catch' on each others' top edges and this makes a 'clacking' noise when playing!

I went to the store and tried a lower-tier model of the same line (Casio AP-220). These keys were much firmer in place, but they still could touch each other and there were one or two that seemed to catch (though not enough of a catch to produce a clicking noise). The lower-tier Yamahas they had there (Arius 140) had keys that were much better aligned; they didn't ever even touch each other. However, the action was springy and not weighted.

I am returning the item and getting a new one, in the hopes it is a quality control issue with this particular board and not a design flaw. However, I'm suspicious of the line.

Any thoughts? I don't want to spend more than $2,000, and I want the (otherwise) quality action and sound I felt in the Casio. They sample four times per key, compared to the Arius 161's 3. They have 4 speakers at 30 watts versus 20. They have hammer-weighted keys with triple action...Hopefully the new one is perfect...
--- Estonia L190 #7249 ---
My great-grandfather was an opera singer
My grandfather was a pianist
We'll see what my kids do

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1486245 - 08/01/10 10:57 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Gorm Laben]
cast12 Offline

I had the same problem with my Privia PX830. All of the new Casios are very similar, so I doubt that your problem is characteristic of or exclusive to the AP-620 model.

I returned my PX830 and ordered an AP-620, which should arrive at my house on Tuesday. I'll let you know whether it has any problems.

#1486313 - 08/02/10 01:01 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: cast12]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
I have noticed this problem on a PX-130 I saw at a Best Buy store recently. The keys have too much side to side movement. I was surprised to see how sloppy the action was. It was very noticable. This looks like a quality control problem. I notice also the spacing is not uniform and some gaps between the keys are larger. This complaint is becoming more common on the new PX-30 series of Casio DP's. I have a PX-575 and while the keys are noisy (they tend to be clackity), there is little side to side wobble.

#1486357 - 08/02/10 05:07 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: galaxy4t]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
With my PX-330 I've finally managed to sort out that going back 'for repair' initially due to two crackly keys, although one other now makes an intermittent clicky sound and another makes a sound like a piece of loose metal banging if I do a fast repetition.

#1486368 - 08/02/10 05:59 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Vectistim
With my PX-330 I've finally managed to sort out that going back 'for repair' initially due to two crackly keys, although one other now makes an intermittent clicky sound and another makes a sound like a piece of loose metal banging if I do a fast repetition.

Hi Vectistim, I didn't quite understand what you wrote. Have you sent back the PX330 and had it repaired?

I ask because I also have a PX330 with three pairs of clacking keys. I have 'fixed' them by inserting a thin plastic shim between the keys, and intend to get it repaired under warranty eventually. The warranty is 3 years so I can wait until a few more keys go clacking.

Despite this I thinks it's a great DP for the money and love playing it.

#1486374 - 08/02/10 06:26 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Vectistim Offline

After much too-ing and fro-ing I've finally made arrangements for them to collect it and they will then apparently repair it - which I think will require relaying some of the felt stuff (I assume that's what makes the crackly sound) replacing a key (I think its surface isn't stuck well enough to the main body of the key - I think that's why that one makes an occasional noise) and re-afixing whatever it is that's come loose for the other one.

Casio's UK repairs/returns/servicing (whatever you want to call them) don't seem to be all that much on the ball. Coupled with that it doesn't help that they only seem to man their phone lines Mon-Fri 9-5.

#1486464 - 08/02/10 09:39 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
Gorm Laben Offline

OK, based on the (very helpful) feedback (thanks!) it's still an open question whether this is a design flaw or a quality control issue (or both). I'll be returning it today and get a new one; if it still has issues I suppose I need to consider spending more $$ on a better built brand (even though the sound and feel is great for the A-620 - I can't play with all that clicking and sticking).

#1486620 - 08/02/10 01:33 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Gorm Laben]
hpeterh Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
This is a design flaw, because it could be easily avoided by proper design and zero series stress testing and usability testing before releasing this into the wild ;-).

#1486652 - 08/02/10 02:14 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Gorm Laben]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Steve Deutsch
Any thoughts? I don't want to spend more than $2,000, and I want the (otherwise) quality action and sound I felt in the Casio. They sample four times per key, compared to the Arius 161's 3

The Arius 140 uses Yamaha's cheaper "GHS" key action. Yamaha's "GH" is very different than GHS. Yamaha's Arius 160 and P155 use the GH keys The sound inside the P155 is a little better than what's inside the 160. Most people prefer the GHS over Casio. If you can spend $2,000 yu can certainly have a Yamaha with GH keys and their better sound. Look at Yamaha's CP-5. It sells for about $1,800 and is now I think Yamaha' best piano.

But with $2K you can afford a Roland or Kawai and many people like either of these better.

My opinion is the casio owns the sub $1,000 market. But if you can spend $2,000 there is little reason to buy Casio

#1486715 - 08/02/10 03:31 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: ChrisA]
Gorm Laben Offline

Well I went ahead and returned the product to GC. Who were very helpful.

Now I need to rethink - Kawai CA63? Roland 990? I love the feel of the Kawai keys.

#1486846 - 08/02/10 07:57 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Gorm Laben]
JoeyIsFunny Offline

I have a px 130 and while the keys have some side to side movement they never touch each other or catch while playing. The black keys do have an excessive amount of side movement though, but not to the point of making it difficult to play.

#1487039 - 08/03/10 12:45 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: JoeyIsFunny]
Gorm Laben Offline

Well I went ahead and got the Kawai CA63 after demoing it in the shop. A grand more, but I love the touch and action. Much more stable, not a hint of loosiness, the keys don't catch or even hit each other, and the ivory feel is quite nice. I kept going back to it in the shop. The sound is just fine as well.

No offense to the AP620, it's fantastic for the price point, except for the issue with the catching key surfaces. I was sad to have to reconsider but I think in the long run it's a more fulfilling choice.

Plus they'll apply the full purchase price to a grand if I exchange it for one from them in the next 5 years! Gotta love that incentive.

#1487048 - 08/03/10 01:12 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Gorm Laben]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Congrats on your new, new DP. wink

Great incentive from the dealer to upgrade to you a grand too. wink

If you have a moment to take a snap of your new CA63, please feel free to post it in this thread.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1487056 - 08/03/10 01:38 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Kawai James]
Gorm Laben Offline

Happy to! Once I get it - shop says it'll be 7-10 days (argh!) A great opportunity to practice zenmanship - having made a decision then having to wait a week or more for the product.

I have learned that patience is necessary in many aspects of this hobby.

:-)

#1487361 - 08/03/10 02:38 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: JoeyIsFunny]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoeyIsFunny
I have a px 130 and while the keys have some side to side movement they never touch each other or catch while playing. The black keys do have an excessive amount of side movement though, but not to the point of making it difficult to play.

Joey, I don't want you to go looking for a fault that is maybe not really there, but the clicking on some pairs on my Casio only occurs when doing some scales, and not every time, and some chord arpeggios, and not every time. The sideways push of the finger on adjacent keys can elicit the problem and a surprise when it does happen.

Casio's UK repairs/returns/servicing (whatever you want to call them) don't seem to be all that much on the ball. Coupled with that it doesn't help that they only seem to man their phone lines Mon-Fri 9-5.

That's not good to hear. I think the first two years of my warranty is through the store, who will deal with me and if necessary Casio. The third year though is AFAIK direct with Casio.

#1487362 - 08/03/10 02:39 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: spanishbuddha]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
I just bought the AP-220 and no problems whatsoever! smile

#1487541 - 08/03/10 06:35 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: eweiss]
Gorm Laben Offline

Yah, the AP220 key mechanism seems a bit different. It's not as hammer-weighted feeling as the 620. Also, I didn't see that issue on the 220 I tried in the store. The 620 keys were definitely looser AND they caught on each other while playing. I would guess it to be a quality control issue, and I happened to catch a bad one.

Thanks for the feedback!

#1487568 - 08/03/10 07:17 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Gorm Laben]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Are the keyboard actions for the AP-220 and AP-620 not the same?
I know that the AP-620 features Ivory Touch key surfaces, however the action (and weighted feeling) should be identical between the two models, surely?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1487615 - 08/03/10 08:19 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Kawai James]
Gorm Laben Offline

I don't know the specs. Subjectively, they sure felt different to me.

#1488484 - 08/05/10 05:19 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Gorm Laben]
Vectistim Offline

I think all the current AP and PX models have the same keyboard system, its just a couple have the ivory style finish.

I get to spend today listening out for the doorbell so my 330 can go back for repair (replacement).

Any bets on how long they'll keep it?

#1488553 - 08/05/10 09:28 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
Gorm Laben Offline

Yah, you're right, the website says it's the same. Boy, they sure felt different in the action though. I probably just got a dud - scary how variable the keyboards were. I am happy spending the extra grand to get a Kawai.

#1489504 - 08/06/10 01:19 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Gorm Laben]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
-
I reported here two years ago that the "wobbly key" phenomenon had manifested itself, back then, in the Privia PX-800. On my recent hunt for a new piano I tried the PX-830 and nothing had changed, same old "Wobbly Keys", it was the deal breaker for me. What a shame, a great piano at a great price spoiled because of the "Wobbly Keys". I bought a Kawai.
-

#1489721 - 08/06/10 05:28 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: bluebilly]
Glenn Treibitz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles/Burbank
For $2199 you can purchase a Roland DP990. This has the Roland escapement action which you should love.

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Grotrian, Mason&Hamlin, Estonia,Schulze Pollmann,Albert Weber,Baldwin,Brodmann,Ritmuller,Weber,Hardman,Roland,Kurzweil, Used Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai

#1490714 - 08/08/10 06:37 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think all the current AP and PX models have the same keyboard system, its just a couple have the ivory style finish.

I get to spend today listening out for the doorbell so my 330 can go back for repair (replacement).

Hi Vectistim. Please update with progress on repair or replacement as it happens. Thanks.

Was this direct with Casio support or the shop you bought it from?

#1490952 - 08/08/10 03:33 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Vectistim Offline

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

Hi Vectistim. Please update with progress on repair or replacement as it happens. Thanks.
Was this direct with Casio support or the shop you bought it from?

I'll let you know what happens. It took some tooing and froing between shop (Rimmers/Rocking Rooster) and Casio, not helped by neither of them running their phones out of office hours at all. So it was picked up on Thursday to go back to Casio, doing a parcel trace they received it on Friday. So the chances are they haven't looked at it yet.

#1491432 - 08/09/10 07:52 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
Vectistim Offline

Just got back in from a rehearsal[1] this morning and there is a letter from Casio confirming receipt and providing login details for a repair tracking website. The letter says normal turnaround is about ten working days (plus postage). Logging into the website it says 'repair completed' but no further details, so presumably someone will contact me soon for its return and then we will see what we shall see.

[1] OK, not a fair comparison but at this rehearsal I was playing a Clavinoa CVP-50 (c. 20 year old model), the piano sound was very tinny - a bit like a shabby pub piano, the keys felt OK, but the sensitivity was all to pot - the volume gradation was very stilted.

#1491484 - 08/09/10 10:00 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
Vectistim Offline

I'm now told I'm getting it back on Wednesday, so I'll report back then.

#1493290 - 08/11/10 08:43 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
Vectistim Offline

OK, its just come back, I've run chromatically up the keyboard (without it being turned on) and the defects seem to have gone. The slip that was in the box says it was replaced, but the serial number is the same as it was before so I don't quite know what they've done.

I'll give it a couple of hours of thrashing later and see how it responds.

#1493408 - 08/11/10 11:47 AM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
Vectistim Offline

I've now had a bit of a play, whilst they've made the previous problems go away it now has a new set (which suggests they've 'repaired' rather than replaced it).

The B next to the crackly C and C# that I did have is now rather sluggish (as if whatever was making those two crackle is now shoved underneath the B).

The worst new problem is with the G at the bottom of the bass clef. I did a fast arpeggio from a Haydn sonata and received a delayed and _very_ loud G.

So I've just been back on the phone, and presumably will get the delights of another two days at home waiting for the postman.

PS: It makes me wonder if they did any quality control before sticking it back in the post.

Edited by Vectistim (08/11/10 11:48 AM)
Edit Reason: PS added

#1493504 - 08/11/10 01:50 PM Re: Casio AP620 Design Flaw? [Re: Vectistim]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect that not only no quality control but no piano/keyboard players in the support department. Doesn't sound heartening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (alfredo capurso, ASLevelMusicTheory, Atrys, accordeur, BB Player, 16 invisible), 1113 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251532 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission