Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
143 registered (Anita Potter, accordeur, Almaviva, anamnesis, 44 invisible), 1724 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1486350 - 08/02/10 04:30 AM Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder"
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Well, wha'da'ya'know? It's week number four, and here is Haddorff Postcard No.4. Be warned. As with any serial publication, anything can change: frequency, title, etc.

Anyway, here is what you need to know for this week's episode:

cad \'kad\ n [E dial., unskilled assistant, short for Sc caddie] 1 obs : an omnibus conductor 2 : a person without gentlemanly instincts.

Also, this:

This episode could be entitled, "Dating My Piano." (...what???)

So, here is the episode:

Haddorff Postcard No.4

And, the musical selection (a request by Mattardo...):
"Who Threw The Overalls in Mistress Murphy's Chowder" played by me on the Haddorff, and sung by the Rockford Irish Men's Chorus

Here is a link to the lyrics, if you have trouble understanding the dialect (they are VERY Irish!):
Mistress Murphy Lyrics

Also, my apologies to al-mahed. I have not been able to keep my word about Scott Joplin's "Weeping Willow." I am suffering from "lead foot sydrome," an affliction of many a ragtime player, in which a steady tempo cannot be kept as speed increases throughout the piece until it frantically falls apart as a result of unmanageable inertia. Hopefully next week! Sorry!!!

--Andy Strong

#1486380 - 08/02/10 06:59 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Priceless!! You crack me up Andy!
Don't click if you haven't listened yet.
Click to reveal..
"in the key of C with a tempo of moderato, two of my very favourite things" hahaha

Amazed that you make time to do this so well. Love your work. ok better listen to this mad Irish song now.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1486400 - 08/02/10 07:36 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Canonie]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ho ho! Very funny, Andy!
This week we learned about birthdays, got to hear from your wife, and found out that you have the uncanny talent of sounding like a chorus when you sing! Amazing! It just keeps getting better and better! Is there no end to your abilities? Ha!

Thanks for playing that song - you sing it much better than I do, that's for sure! It sounded wonferful. I never thought I'd hear that song done by anyone other than me - it might be a historical first!

#1486654 - 08/02/10 02:14 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Mattardo]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Andy -

Another "Strong" performance. Bravo !!

Your Haddorff's voice sounds amazingly like Miss Piggy.

To answer the question posed at the beginning of the piece - the three current US piano builders are Steinway, Mason and Hamlin and Charles Walter. From 300 US piano manufacturers down to only three in 100 years. Sad !!!

Hadn't heard the chowder song in a long time - thanks for the historical context. Guess it always pays to scrape the bottom of the caldron before eating the stew !!

Edited by carey (08/02/10 02:15 PM)

#1486870 - 08/02/10 08:33 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: carey]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't be online for awhile, I am extremely busy (and sick) at the moment... I came for your weekly show which has become one of my favourites of all times, a MUST... smile
You are UNIQUE!!!!! If there was a PW prize, you would certainly deserve it!!!!

Music is my best friend.

#1486902 - 08/02/10 09:04 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: ChopinAddict]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Great Andy, and forget about weeping willow, if you happen to get the right recording, ok, if not don't worry, I'm quite sure nobody is caring about any piece in particular, because all of your fans wants to hear you play ANYTHING LOL

Take care smile

Working on: music

#1486920 - 08/02/10 09:28 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: al-mahed]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I am so glad you all are enjoying these! Longer post to this thread coming up...

#1486988 - 08/02/10 11:13 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Canonie
[...]Amazed that you make time to do this [...]

Well, Canonie, I really should be "working"... on something "worthwhile," "productive," or "prosperous"... WAIT! Going by your reaction, perhaps I am! grin I have been spending the day each Sunday working on this particular project.

Originally Posted By: Mattardo
[...]This week we [...] got to hear from your wife [...]

Hey, Mattardo! Want to hear more? Heh-heh... Here is an "outtake reel" of sorts--a behind-the-scenes look at recording the memory scene. Go ahead, everybody! It's worth a few more chuckles! smile

Boxnet: "You call her beautiful..." (1:52)

Originally Posted By: carey
[...]Your Haddorff's voice sounds amazingly like Miss Piggy.

To answer the question posed at the beginning of the piece - the three current US piano builders are Steinway, Mason and Hamlin and Charles Walter. From 300 US piano manufacturers down to only three in 100 years. Sad !!!

Hadn't heard the chowder song in a long time - thanks for the historical context. Guess it always pays to scrape the bottom of the caldron before eating the stew !!

Funny you should say that about Miss Piggy, carey! When I was describing the stereo effect of the Irish Men's Chorus to my wife (who has poor directional hearing), I said, "Think Muppet Show!" laugh And it's true what you say about the piano's "voice." I didn't hear it like that until you mentioned it, and you are so right!

Thank you for answering the trivia question. I got Steinway and Charles Walter, but missed Mason and Hamlin.

Also, you might want to thank Mattardo for sending me the score of the chowder song! It was a new one to me! That Mattardo! He's a real stitch! grin

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
[...]I came for your weekly show which has become one of my favourites of all times, a MUST... smile [...]

Oh, my gosh, CA! Now I have to keep producing! laugh "Please Br'er Fox! Don't throw me into that briar patch!" wink Do you have any requests from that box of scores of yours?

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
[...] forget about weeping willow, if you happen to get the right recording, ok, if not don't worry, [...]

Thanks, al-mahed. However, I now declare myself to be officially obsessed with Weeping Willow. And while I know that my performance will not be perfect, I do want it to be respectable, especially since there will be no singing to cover any flaws in the playing! grin

#1487872 - 08/04/10 08:25 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
As always, very funny Andy! You and your sense of humor pretty much match mine! We're both a couple of nuts! Not the exact words that my wife calls me however of which I will not repeat!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1488347 - 08/04/10 10:03 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Andy, you should get a radio show! You have a great radio personality, and a listenable voice I think. Then these postcards would genuinely fit the description of "work". Look forward to the next one.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1488451 - 08/05/10 01:53 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Canonie]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Dear Canonie, I appreciate that. I really do.

To tell you the God's-honest-truth, at this point in my life, Piano World is a "Poor Man's University" for me, and this postcard idea is shaping up to be an independent study of sorts. I've got ideas...

I don't know if I'll get to post one this coming weekend because of a work schedule blip, but I'm excited about an inspiration I had today while I was thinking about a "program" idea for a future postcard. It involves a legitimate interview, however, and may take some time to set up. But I also had two other ideas besides that one, so, we shall see!...

Stay tuned! grin

#1488487 - 08/05/10 05:28 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wheeeeee! ..can't wait.
I was on radio today. But nowhere near as creatively. We mortals try as best we can wink

It's a great place to learn about music and piano, once you settle in. I will be improving my recording skills quite soon.

Alex Ross.

#1488869 - 08/05/10 05:38 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Canonie]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Can you elaborate, Canonie? What are you doing? (Or, is it proprietary and confidential?)

#1488874 - 08/05/10 05:43 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Oh, my gosh, CA! Now I have to keep producing! laugh "Please Br'er Fox! Don't throw me into that briar patch!" wink Do you have any requests from that box of scores of yours?

Yes, please!
I don't have any requests, surprise me!
But I have scanned the covers of the largest collections I have. If you would like to try any of these songs, just PM me or post here and I will send you the scanned music. I don't go online every day though...

PS: I am NOT Marcia. Marcia was the previous owner... laugh
I don't know the majority of these songs, I didn't have much time to try them, maybe you know them better... thumb

Music is my best friend.

#1489028 - 08/05/10 09:05 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: ChopinAddict]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I like the look and feel of old sheet music; the covers and lettering, the decorated titles, the prices! Possibly I have too much of this stuff though wink

Andy, I was interviewed on ABC radio for a performance on tonight (on cello). It's theatre so the focus is not too much on the 2 musicians, we support the action and intentions, it's not too demanding. I like visiting the radio studio - interesting place.
I think i have a cold coming on so performing may not be as enjoyable as usual frown I or may play out of tune! eek but will try to think of this as charming and interesting tuning - like your piano laugh

Alex Ross.

#1489120 - 08/05/10 11:19 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: ChopinAddict]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wow, CA!

If you don't mind...and if your scores can stand the stress of scanning...I'd like to try two, both from Grandma's Songs:

1) "He Wipes the Tear From Every Eye" (for personal reasons) and,

2) "I Built a Bridge of Fancies" (which, from the title, sounds like it might have "storyline" potential for a future "Postcard"). laugh

Thanks so much! My e-mail address is in my profile if you want to send them that way...It might be easier to print them in that case. Or, PM me, and we can work someting out!

How fun!

#1489129 - 08/05/10 11:28 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Canonie]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Canonie--

I agree. Radio stations are interesting places. It's neat to see all of the gizmatics that get things out over the air. And then, there is the real, live person there with you, who you can see, talking to you at once, while at the same time, you know there are all of these other people who can hear you, BUT CAN'T SEE YOU! Ha-ha!

Your theatre accompaniment sounds like a really neat project!

#1489154 - 08/06/10 12:09 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Andy,
I am so glad you have found something you like and that you are going to perform for us!!!thumb I will scan the music on the weekend and send it to you straightaway.
I am excited! laugh

Music is my best friend.

#1489155 - 08/06/10 12:11 AM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: Canonie]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Canonie
I like the look and feel of old sheet music; the covers and lettering, the decorated titles, the prices! Possibly I have too much of this stuff though wink

Me too... ha I also like movies that feature the 30s, 40s and 50s, you know, old cars, old radios etc. I find them so cool!

Music is my best friend.

#1489741 - 08/06/10 06:05 PM Re: Haddorff Postcard No.4 with "...Mistress Murphy's Chowder" [Re: ChopinAddict]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
Andy,
I am so glad you have found something you like and that you are going to perform for us!!!thumb I will scan the music on the weekend and send it to you straightaway.
I am excited! laugh

Done.... I have just sent you a private message with the music you would like to have, check you PMs please...
We all look forward to the next radio show... smile

Music is my best friend.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Forum Stats
77383 Members
42 Forums
160041 Topics
2350202 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission