2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 129 of 136 1 2 127 128 129 130 131 135 136
B
B
Originally Posted by tanjinjack

Few facts though.
Emmanuels & Sons is located at 124 Mackenzie Road, instead of 148 listed on Bihua's blog.
Sauter is no longer available in The Music Galleria, Sin Ming Plaza. It's now in Victory Concert Mall/Hall (or something sounds similar to that).

Have updated it. Thanks! Haha, didn't know my blog came in useful =P

B
B
Errr...I've got some questions to ask...for ABRSM piano practical exams...

1. The exams pieces book which I going to bring into the exam room cannot have any markings huh? Means I must erase off all the pencil markings before I bring the book into the exam?

2. Grade 5 Practical is not complusory for higher grades hor? It is the Grade 5 Theory that is complusory right? So, if I want, I can skip Grade 5 Practical correct?

Thanks!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
1. I think you can have markings, if you own the book. But ask your teacher for sure.

2. Grade 5 Theory is a prerequisite for Grade 6-8. In order to progress to those grades, you must pass your Grade 5 Theory. Grade 5 Practical is not compulsory.

F
F
Hi all,

I've just started learning piano with only 6 lessons. I've been practicing with my Casio CTK230 so the feel just isn't correct. I've been pondering to get a second hand digital/upright piano but I've got a serious budget of about $500 - $700.

Is there anywhere I can get at such a price for a decent model which can last me the next 2-3 years? I've searched ebay but to no avail....

I've also been comparing several 2nd hand models like the Tokai AU1, Yamaha P85 and Casio models. Anyone knows where I can test out Casio models? I saw this white Casio PX 7-WE which looks really nice though it's probably out of my budget. I know that sometimes Yamaha and Cristophori hold warehouse sales. Anyone been to such sales before and would it be worth the wait for the next sale to get my piano there?

Thanks!

B
B
Thanks Jin Jack! Ya, my teacher told me to erase all the markings in my exam pieces book...so sad...ya, i rely too much on them...

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Bihua, what I may recommend is that, try to make some faint marking on them (of course, with your teacher's permission). Only a few faint one that is important for you. It's not that the examiner will ask you to surrender the book for checking about markings, isn't it?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The alternative is of course to rely on your own instinct in terms of interpretation (and of course pedaling). smile

Originally Posted by tanjinjack
Bihua, what I may recommend is that, try to make some faint marking on them (of course, with your teacher's permission). Only a few faint one that is important for you. It's not that the examiner will ask you to surrender the book for checking about markings, isn't it?

B
B
Thanks! smile

B
B
Fairylander, I suppose u are looking for Digital Pianos? I bought a Korg SP 250 from Luther Music. Think is not bad. But out of your budget ($1,008 now). You can try calling and ask what price they offer. Usually is cheaper if you cash and carry.

http://www.luthermusic.com/category/keyboards_electronic-pianos/korg-sp-250

There are also other models which they carry...

H
H
Fairylander
There's a few models displayed at Carrfour. They also have the PX 7-WE at the Plaza Sing outlet (toys section, haahaa) selling at $1699. You can get it from Play-By-Ear for $1499. I was thinking about getting that as my girl just started learning. But now I've changed my mind after trying out - so light it feels like a toy. And very basic function. Personally thinks heavier investment makes the interest goes longer...Many suggested Korg 250, saying it value for $.

F
F
Hi Bihua and happyHippo,

Thanks for your advice. I'll be checking those few places out over the weekend. Yeah, I wanna get something that'll last me a while so I'm also deciding if I should just try to save up more $$ to get a better piano. If so, I just have to put up with the kiddish keyboard i have now for the next few months:P

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Are those Singapore dollars or US Dollars? If S$, then US $368-512.

If you're willing to work with headphones, I'd recommend trying to find a used Yamaha P90. Your post might be better in the Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards forum.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
H
H
Hi all,
new Hailun HL125 or 4yrs Yamaha YM5, can the experts give me some advise? does anyone know/ can confirm if YM5 are made in Japan?

Palindrome,
they're in Singapore dollar... smile

Last edited by HappyHippoSng; 08/04/10 12:08 PM.
S
see Offline
S
hi,

Need advice on whether to buy digital or upright piano for my daugther. She is 8 years old, learning piano lesson from yamaha. Going for grade 1 test soon. As my budget is tight (around SGD 1.5K to 2K), should I be going for second hand upright or digital piano?

thanks

J
J
hi,

I am learning piano for a year already. My 4 year old son just started on the instrument. We are now using a Yamaha P85.. Am thinking of getting an acoustic piano now. At first i was thinking of stretching my budget to get a brand new U1 but now i think i probably keep it below 6K. With this considering these 2 brands - which one should i get?

- Yamaha M112
- Hailun 132 model? or the 125 model is ok also..

Thanks!

F
F
Well from the rest of the thread, there are many choices, ranging from Chinese-made grands (look at Hailun and Kayserburg at Cristofori), Petrof and Bohemia (the shorter ones), Kawai/Yamaha, or used taller Kawais and Yamahas... (look for Mr Kwan @ Emmanuel Piano or Asia PIanos).

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
J
J
Hi, Am still thinking of the piano.. Anyway, would like to check if any of you know good piano teacher that is good in teaching small children. Looking for another piano teacher for my son. Need one who is passionate about teaching.. not just teaching for the sake of earning extra cash. Appreciate alot if any of you can recommend the teacher. thank you!!

E
E
Hi guys,

After reading at least 90% of the posts here this last week, I'm finally ready to post something smile This thread looks like it is filled with pretty friendly people around. So it does give newbies like me courage to 'speak up' smile

Newbie and like many others, want to buy a piano. But I think more for me than for my 6yo daughter.

Questions

(1) I do see someone posted about Bohemia, but are there anyone here who owns a Bohemia piano? If yes, how many years? Good? any problem?

(2) I have been wanting to learn piano since I was as young as my girl, but only have the chance now. For a newbie like me, is it too 'risky' to get a brand new piano that cost about $8k? (specifically brand new Kawai K3)

(3) another question, I went to Robert Piano. I quite like the K5, but, currently, they quoted me $10,190 :(, and K3 $8160. Looks like there price has gone up? I kind of saw a few posts about the prices last year which is not so high.

(4) Tried Bohemia, Wilhelm Tell, Hailun, Kawai. Will be trying Yamaha soon. For under $10k budget, what else can can try?

Thanks in advance to all your replies smile

I, too, would like to contribute to this thread smile

I live in a HDB flat in Singapore, but has the sudden (foolish) urge to bond myself to a hefty bank loan ... in order to purchase a concert grand laugh

Problem guys (and gals): How do I fit a concert grand into a HDB 5 room flat?

Any offers?

I can "settle" with a smaller 7 foot semi-concert!

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
zky Offline
Move the TV and big sofa to the entertainment room!

Cheers

Page 129 of 136 1 2 127 128 129 130 131 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission