2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
WalkFar Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I am curious if someone could tell me something about this piano found in the home of a family member. This is most probably another story of an old-time upright that will cost many dollars to refurbish. I am just curious about the maker and the piano.

Werner Piano Co., Chicago
Mahogany upright about 50-52 inches tall

B
B
The Pierce Piano Atlas indicates 1923 as the year of manufacture based on your serial number. The company was established in 1902 and the last entry on the serial number list is for 1928.

I don't know anything about the quality of their instruments, but in the early decades of the 1900s there were over 300 companies producing consumer grade pianos in North America. Everyone wanted a "pianny in the parlor."

1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I grew up with a Leckerling upright, a huge old battleship of a piano produced in 1911 by Wissner. It was one of the pianos that Bachsky describes. It was, however, a superb piano, holding its tunings like a rock, and sounding terrific (for an old upright). In my view, none of these pianos is worth anything in terms of resale, but there are individual pianos that are excellent. It depends on the particular instrument (and, of course, the care they have received over the years). The fact that the pianos have no value means that one should be hesitant about putting too much money into refurbishing them, however. My upright was worth a couple of hundred dollars both before and after being refurbished, and when I upgraded to my wonderful grand I gave it away to a family that needed a piano and couldn't afford one.

W
WalkFar Offline OP
OP Offline
W
That is a good point, RPA. The issue is not how much it is worth on the open market (before or after a rebuild), but how much it will cost to bring it to the desired condition. Then one can make a judgment on whether it is worth the money.

I know that I would need to have someone evaluate what needs to be replaced, but are there some ballpark figures on how much it would cost to rebuild a piano like this? I know I am not using the correct and precise terminology here, but I assume something like this needs new action parts and new strings.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission