Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1488285 - 08/04/10 08:40 PM Werner Piano Co., Chicago. Upright in the family
WalkFar Offline

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
I am curious if someone could tell me something about this piano found in the home of a family member. This is most probably another story of an old-time upright that will cost many dollars to refurbish. I am just curious about the maker and the piano.

Werner Piano Co., Chicago
Mahogany upright about 50-52 inches tall

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1488397 - 08/04/10 11:02 PM Re: Werner Piano Co., Chicago. Upright in the family [Re: WalkFar]
Bachsky Offline

Loc: McFarland, WI 53558
The Pierce Piano Atlas indicates 1923 as the year of manufacture based on your serial number. The company was established in 1902 and the last entry on the serial number list is for 1928.

I don't know anything about the quality of their instruments, but in the early decades of the 1900s there were over 300 companies producing consumer grade pianos in North America. Everyone wanted a "pianny in the parlor."
1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).

#1488543 - 08/05/10 09:16 AM Re: Werner Piano Co., Chicago. Upright in the family [Re: Bachsky]
Rank Piano Amateur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I grew up with a Leckerling upright, a huge old battleship of a piano produced in 1911 by Wissner. It was one of the pianos that Bachsky describes. It was, however, a superb piano, holding its tunings like a rock, and sounding terrific (for an old upright). In my view, none of these pianos is worth anything in terms of resale, but there are individual pianos that are excellent. It depends on the particular instrument (and, of course, the care they have received over the years). The fact that the pianos have no value means that one should be hesitant about putting too much money into refurbishing them, however. My upright was worth a couple of hundred dollars both before and after being refurbished, and when I upgraded to my wonderful grand I gave it away to a family that needed a piano and couldn't afford one.

#1488722 - 08/05/10 01:33 PM Re: Werner Piano Co., Chicago. Upright in the family [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]
WalkFar Offline

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
That is a good point, RPA. The issue is not how much it is worth on the open market (before or after a rebuild), but how much it will cost to bring it to the desired condition. Then one can make a judgment on whether it is worth the money.

I know that I would need to have someone evaluate what needs to be replaced, but are there some ballpark figures on how much it would cost to rebuild a piano like this? I know I am not using the correct and precise terminology here, but I assume something like this needs new action parts and new strings.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
174 registered (accordeur, acortot, A Guy, 36251, 47 invisible), 1805 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153544 Topics
2250255 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
2 minutes 28 seconds ago
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission