Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
89 registered (ando, bennevis, 36251, 27 invisible), 1171 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1488445 - 08/05/10 01:26 AM Going to a music university to make my bachelor
)\/(!&\/3| Offline

Loc: Puerto Rico (Island)
smile Hi I play the piano and I'm think to make my Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance

Just want to know what advice does the teachers of this forum can give me. I have been playing piano for 4 years. I can play classical and modern music like: Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata 3 and 1 Movements and Pathetique sonata 2 Movement from Beethoven. In the end from Linkin Park. One Man`s Dream from Yanni and 3 not very popular. I have maked my own piano music and so far I have 1 song finished and 2 started. I know enough scales like 16 with they relatives and arpeggios.

frown I'm scared because in the Conservatorio de Musica de Puerto Rico (The music University) they ask me for a Review of music theory and a audition. But I don't have any experience playing in front of judges.

Any advice will be very helpfully thanks for your time. By the way English is not my first language so forgive me if I am not so clear. Feel free to ask. thumb

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1488556 - 08/05/10 09:30 AM Re: Going to a music university to make my bachelor [Re: )\/(!&\/3|]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I would find a teacher and quick! They can help you prepare for auditions and tell you mistakes or bad habits that you are doing and may not even realize. Without having heard you, I must be perfectly honest based on what you've told us so far.

4 years is not usually long enough unless you are extremely gifted. I'm telling this to let you know you will be competing with students who have studied piano with a teacher for about 10 years. There are always limited spots that teachers at schools have and so they will only be able to take those that have the most promise. That may be you, then again it may not. But it is something to keep in mind.

The pieces that you've played do not have enough variety in the classical genre: basically, you've played all Beethoven, and then some modern music which I'm pretty sure you will not be allowed to play at auditions. Most schools will ask for a Classical sonata movement (which you do have), a Baroque piece on par with a Bach suite or Prelude & Fugue, a Romantic piece like a Chopin nocturne, and sometimes they want to hear a 4th piece from the 20th century. This would not include the music you've played by Linkin Park or Yanni. It will have to be a modern composer who is more in line with the classical tradition.

So you will need to learn 2-3 other pieces at least to be prepared for auditions. However, I'm pretty sure they will want to know what repertoire you've learned so far, and if all you can show is that you've worked on pieces just for auditions plus a little extra Beethoven, that does not bode well for you. They will want to see a well-rounded education and that you've worked on Bach inventions and possibly some other Baroque pieces, a Mozart and Haydn sonata, and a few Romantic pieces.

I am not saying this to discourage you, these are just the facts. I do not know the specific requirements of the Puerto Rico Conservatory and so I highly suggest you consult with a faculty member there to find out what they want to hear at auditions and what they like to see in potential students.

You may benefit from taking lessons either from a teacher at the Conservatory for a year or two if a teacher there will take you, to get you to the point where you need to be for auditions. Otherwise, you will definitely need to find a good private instructor who can listen to you and really assess your skills and chances of getting in. Don't be afraid to take a year or two off to prepare, or you can always enroll at school without declaring a major and simply get all of your general requirements out of the way, then audition when your teacher says you're ready.

Best of luck to you!

My assumption is that

Edited by Morodiene (08/05/10 09:32 AM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1488570 - 08/05/10 09:44 AM Re: Going to a music university to make my bachelor [Re: Morodiene]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I would agree with Morodiene about contacting a good teacher for help in preparing. My child got into university after only 4 years and had to audition against students who had played more than twice as long. It was a top university so the demands were higher than they might be elsewhere, but I think what we saw still holds true. The teacher preparing him gave him the right variety of pieces as Morodiene says. But he was also given enough technique and other things. The private teacher also knew what kinds of things the university wanted students to have, and made sure he had them. He knew what kinds of attitudes were expected, and was warned about what pursuing those kinds of studies would be like. This young man is gifted, but he still had to work very hard with the guidance of teachers combined with his own drive and ideas in order to make it.

#1488944 - 08/05/10 07:37 PM Re: Going to a music university to make my bachelor [Re: keystring]
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
As a person in university doing a Bachelor of Music, I would have to agree with Morodiene has said. I would like to ask though, the university that you are wishing to attend, does it have a minor studies program that might be a music/arts degree with some attention given to music history, analysis, research as well as performance? Finding a good teacher haste is the thing you have to do first, perhaps ask around at the conservatory about the teachers.

#1490656 - 08/08/10 02:15 AM Re: Going to a music university to make my bachelor [Re: Morodiene]
)\/(!&\/3| Offline

Thank you very much Its better that what I expected. I'm thinking to go to the CMPR in about year and a half, because right now I'm studying other thing, but I started to take class with a teacher who graduated her self from the CMPR. That's why I can play that classical pieces, right now I'm asking for some kind of advice to make my fingers to move more free by themselves, because of collage right now I cant practice every day like before but I don't want to loose the talent that I got so far.

I'm sorry if my post is not clear but English is my second language and its kinda hard to write what I think.

#1490657 - 08/08/10 02:16 AM Re: Going to a music university to make my bachelor [Re: Nannerl Mozart]
)\/(!&\/3| Offline

I don't understand pretty well what you asked, so please if you can say it kinda easy for me I will appreciate it.

Thanks and sorry

#1491481 - 08/09/10 09:59 AM Re: Going to a music university to make my bachelor [Re: )\/(!&\/3|]
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
What Rebekah is asking is: Does the school you want to go to have a smaller/easier/half-playing half-learning program that you could take? In other words, do they have a class where you learn about music and perform music, rather than all performance?

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor

#1491547 - 08/09/10 11:57 AM Re: Going to a music university to make my bachelor [Re: survivordan]
)\/(!&\/3| Offline

To my understand yes they have, but its for beginners who doesn't even know how to read music. But in then ext week I'm going to be off collage and I'm going to the CMPR to ask in person to one of the piano teachers in the university, that way I think it will be easier. But I'm open to keep reading advices and opinions in this forum.

Thanks for your time and opinions

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349748 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission