Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1488825 - 08/05/10 04:33 PM Re: New Casio Privia PX-3 [Re: JFP]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Good point! Their quality control is spotty especially on their keybeds. Some have keys that loosen up and wobble noticeably from side to side sometimes catching on adjacent keys. The gaps on the keybeds also isn't always uniform. Considering the price of their products is considerably more in the UK and Europe, seems like issues like these would be deal breakers, but it is hard to guage from a forum how widespread they are. In the states Casio is considered good for the money, but is also seen as being built to a price point.

Edited by galaxy4t (08/05/10 04:34 PM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1557840 - 11/14/10 08:51 PM Re: New Casio Privia PX-3 [Re: Dusky]
L.J. Offline

Dear Mr. Mike Martin, I am addressing/asking you for lack of a satisfactory answer from Casio technical support. I recently purchased a PX-3 and used it in concert to control a Yamaha Motif E-S onstage @ a 2,300 seat venue with the rock group with which I am a member "Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers" alongside Mr. Bruce Springsteen.
I am happy with the key deck and action so far as well as the light weight, however, I am astonished and disappointed at the apparent oversight in not including a modulation thumb wheel and especially volume/expression pedal electronics with this 30 year anniversary piano.
In my opinion, observation and use of many keyboards over 30 years in the music business, these options/features are a necessity when using a keyboard as a controller to mimic for example; organ leslie speaker efects via a "toggle" ( or thumb wheel, not a button you have to hold down ) or adding volume/modulation effects to piano/synth sounds via an expression pedal while both hands are busy playing, again, not a "button" you have to hold down.
I had to find a replacement 88 key controller to replace my current digital piano that is failing after 15 years of use . I imagined what I was looking for to be first and foremost a realistic piano "feel", small physically, and lightweight, all of which so far the PX-3 satisfies, again, however, the lack of these industry standard features leaves me no choice but to consider returning the PX-3 and continuing my search for a suitable replacement again. I would very much like to continue using this, and other products by Casio but I need a forthright answer as to whether these modulation issues can be readily addressed by Casio. Perhaps some type of modification etc. I would very much appreciate any help/suggestions in this regard. Let me know of alternate contact info etc., if any. Sincerely, l.j.

#1557881 - 11/14/10 09:50 PM Re: New Casio Privia PX-3 [Re: L.J.]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: L.J.
I am astonished and disappointed at the apparent oversight in not including a modulation thumb wheel and especially volume/expression pedal electronics with this 30 year anniversary piano.

I suspect this limitation was imposed by the apparent need to use the existing PX-330 enclosure for this limited edition, rather than develop new molds and mechanics.

these options/features are a necessity when using a keyboard as a controller to mimic for example; organ leslie speaker efects via a "toggle" ( or thumb wheel, not a button you have to hold down )

The "Assignable 2" button can function as a Leslie toggle (hit once to speed up, hit again to slow down).

or adding volume/modulation effects to piano/synth

A volume pedal can easily be added by taking the outputs of the PX-3 and running it through a traditional style volume pedal with in and out jacks.

I need a forthright answer as to whether these modulation issues can be readily addressed by Casio. Perhaps some type of modification etc. I would very much appreciate any help/suggestions in this regard.

I believe a Behringer FCB1010 connected to the PX-3's MIDI in will allow you to use its two pedals as expression and modulation pedals. You might also be able to program one of its footswitches to change rotary speed.

#1557893 - 11/14/10 10:05 PM . [Re: galaxy4t]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

#1557926 - 11/14/10 11:02 PM Re: New Casio Privia PX-3 [Re: L.J.]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
L.J.
If you want to try and contact Mike Martin, you might try going to the Keyboard Corner on the music player forum. You might try and PM him. I don't think he hangs out much on this forum any longer.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (Almaviva, ando, 36251, AmateurBob, 43 invisible), 1700 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153629 Topics
2251679 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CA95 noisy front rail
by lolatu
04/21/14 10:57 AM
It's not so simple as the 10,000 hour rule.
by Brad Hoehne
04/21/14 10:43 AM
Day brightener
by Chuck Behm
04/21/14 10:09 AM
Paris Atelier
by Beemer
04/21/14 09:20 AM
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
04/21/14 09:12 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission