2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1489685 08/06/10 04:42 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Does anyone have any experience on Logic Studio and if so what are your thoughts?

Kawai MP8II, Logic Studio 9, Alicia's Keys, AKG 240.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I use it. It's a huge suite of software and an even bigger set of samples and loops in (I think) about 6 DVDs. You will likely only use about 10% of Logic, if that. Think about if you need all the functionality, For example you can use it to create 5.1 soundtracks that are sync'd to video's timecode. For many people Logic Express is what they need. It is like Sudio but is limited to only stereo output and lacks the huge sample and loop library. But if you really do have a use for 1,700 sampled instruments Logic is the cheapest way to get them. I've been using logic from before version 8 and I'll admit I haven't a clue how to use large parts of it, like Ultrabeat and Sculpture and I don't record vocalsso there is that whole part I don't use. But I have used the electric guitar amp models. It's fun to plug in the guitar and dial in a simulation of a 60's surf-rock reverb machine, something I'd never buy or a bi Marshal amp, it's dead acturate right down to the hiss and hum if you turn the gain up. Then they have every penal known in there too and speaker types too.

I managed to get Logic the cheap way. Bought gear from a guy closing a recording studio then upgraded version. When you are about to get booted out for non-paymant of rent you are forced to sell cheap because you likey can't afford movers or storage. I was happy to help him out. If not for that I'd have Logic Express. Apple lets you upgrade from Express to the full suite so you don't loose your money you spent on Express.

People naturally compare Logic to Protools. I'd say Logic is stronger with MIDI and with the sample and loop library it shis with and Apple's software is "way cheaper" and runs on ordinary hardware. PT needs "Digi" interfaces with its built-in outboard DSP hardware. That said That said if you need ad 24 channel control surface it will be expensive no mater what you buy. They have an m-powered PT and a "lite" version too but those are not comparable to the Logic 9 suite

What I can't tell you is what you really need to know, if Logic is right for your usage.

If you are concidering Logic go to the Macpprovidio.com (or Linear educating dot com) and buy a 3 day trail subscription for $1. then watch their 8 hour video called Intro to Logic or "logic 101". They have several you want the intro. Just spend the time and they walk you through the basics in about 8 hours. They have other courses on narrow topics within Logic like analog synths or the samples or pitch correction or whatever. The same outfit has videos on protools too.

Logic has a lot of features and they are all well done but in almost every case if you want the "best" there is some small company that makes a specialized plugin that you can use to replace what Apple supplies. The obvious case is the pianos. Apple gives you an upright, a yaamaha and steinway and a half dozen variations but Ivory or whatever is much better. But Ivory can run inside Logic I use Sampltek's Grand piano with Logic. (It was a "steal" while they had a 1/2 price deal.) Same with reverbs. Apple's "space designer" is pretty good you can define several reflective surfaces the characteristics of each but now there are some others that contain libraries of recorded impulse responses from famous venues like the Sidney Opera-house or a tiled bathroom So logic is a good foundation and you can upgrade parts of it as you need with third party software.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the great information Chris. I went ahead and ordered the Logic Studio because I do want the 1,700 sampled instruments. My style of music is to mix in acoustic sounds with electronical music. I want to create similar music to Portishead, Goldfrapp, Radiohead.

I am also waiting on my Alicia's Keys, can it be ran with Logic?

I went for the Alicia's keys because for the money I think it's a good deal, and sounds good to me.

I am also waiting for Ivory II, which I have seen it starts shipping 16 Aug.

Kawai MP8II, Logic Studio 9, Alicia's Keys, AKG 240.
S
S
Since Apple bought Emagic and dropped the price, Logic gives the most bang for the buck. It sounds great right out of the box (unlike Cubase, IMHO, which needs some additional plugins).

Alicia's Keys can, like all software instruments, run inside a host (good choice of piano, btw).

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission