Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1491465 - 08/09/10 09:43 AM Taking a Break from PW
SeilerFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have enjoyed my time on Pianoworld. I've learned a bit here and there, but I've also realized that Pianoworld isn't the place for me anymore. In addition to my regular practice time, I will add the time I would usually spend here to the pursuit of music.

Thanks to all who provided good information and insight in the past. I cannot name all these people but I appreciate the time they took to respond. I won't say it's impossible that I will return some day. However, right now I do not see any benefits.

There has been so much spite and hatred going on in various forums: useless gigantic threats in many subforums here that dish out Herculean amounts of negativity. People harboring thoughts about other people without any proof or legitimate reason, assumptions, speculations, etc., often turning quite personal and combative. I will not say that I always stayed out of such threads but in the course of time I learned that it is best to abstain from them. The best practice is probably to abstain from it all as I am not a huge internet person anyway and as I relish my real-world contacts more.

What turns me off Pianoworld is, as I said, the negativity and material vacuity many posts convey, and in addition to that, a phenomenon that could be simply described as "ganging up" against each other and that reminds me of sandbox games during my boyhood. This is my personal impression/opinion. I do not seek to devalue the many intelligent members and their posts on here. However, the process of sifting through and distilling the essence has become too cumbersome for me. I think I need to take this break, and since I communicated with many of you on here during my time, I feel that explaining my reasons for doing so is something that I want to provide.

I wish you all the best in your pursuit of (piano) music.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1491467 - 08/09/10 09:45 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: SeilerFan]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
I agree with you. Perhaps I'll follow a similar course soon.

Take care! <3

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1491471 - 08/09/10 09:48 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Pogorelich.]
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
I can understand "where you're coming from", and respect your decision.

Happy Practicing,

Daniel

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor

#1491498 - 08/09/10 10:27 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: survivordan]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

People come and go....as it has been for years...

#1491501 - 08/09/10 10:34 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: RonaldSteinway]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I'm sorry to hear, but maybe some of us could take an example from you. I too find myself guilty by coming on here too much, instead of actually learning things. However there is also alot of great help to be found on this forum, so maybe you will find yourself come back here again with interesting questions.

As for now, happy piano practicing!

#1491520 - 08/09/10 10:57 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Victor25]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Hope it 's just a break and you'll be back. I understand exactly what you are talking about, however. Enjoy your time at the piano and with friends.

Angelina, hope you won't be leaving too!

Edited by sophial (08/09/10 10:57 AM)

#1491527 - 08/09/10 11:05 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: sophial]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
It only gets better if 'we' make it better SF. Sometimes familiarity with posters breeds the ability to be a little too familiar in our posting, and maybe that is why some feel like it is OK to be insulting. ???

PW members were very encouraging to me while I shopped and got back into making music once again.

What comes around, goes around, so the saying goes. I was helped, so now enjoy helping and encouraging others when I can.

I also thoroughly enjoy the commraderie of others that enjoy pianos, playing, and music.

Don't be gone long, SF.

#1491533 - 08/09/10 11:24 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: SeilerFan]
WalkFar Offline

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
I think the Piano World forum is pretty typical as far as on line forums/communities go (in fact probably typical for real-life communities as well). I think that actually Piano World has a higher than average number of knowledgeable posters who share their knowledge, as well as substantial number of curious, honest people. As you say, there are also people who do make Piano World a less pleasant. For me, in the end, I need to appreciate it for the good, and set aside the bad. Also, there is nothing wrong with dropping out.

Edited by WalkFar (08/09/10 11:37 AM)

#1491543 - 08/09/10 11:49 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: WalkFar]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
SeilerFan :

Whatever your reasons for your disenchantment with this particular forum - some of which I understand well because I share them - your contributions will be missed, dare I say by many of us.

I wish you well.

Regards,

#1491558 - 08/09/10 12:21 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: BruceD]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Why leave when you can just choose not to participate in discussions that offend or do not interest you? I've been hanging back lately for the same reasons, but PW still has much to contribute to my learning so I lurk more than I post. Please reconsider.

Deborah

#1491577 - 08/09/10 12:43 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: gooddog]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Gosh darn (for want of a better word).

#1491581 - 08/09/10 12:46 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: gooddog]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I have not really chatted with you Seiller, but a lot of what you said rings true. I have been a member for over 2 years, though have not posted as much, and the negativity has always been there. It is like that on many forums as already said, but I can completely understand how you feel.

Sometimes it can feel like being betrayed, by what you conceive as people who should be above such things.

#1491587 - 08/09/10 12:57 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: WalkFar]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: WalkFar
I think the Piano World forum is pretty typical as far as on line forums/communities go (in fact probably typical for real-life communities as well).

I think PW is a lot more civil and nice than many on-line forums, some of which are absolute cesspools of swearing, ad hominem personal attacks, spam, etc, etc.

And as someone posted above, there is a great deal to offer here.

#1491602 - 08/09/10 01:18 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: SeilerFan]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Seiler - sorry to hear it, especially since it seems your main reason is disliking what's going on. (At first it was sounding like you were just wishing to devote your time and energy elsewhere, and to whatever extent that's in there too, that's a different story.)

I was a bit puzzled to see what you said, and to tell the truth, had to search my mind for what you're referring to -- and I come up empty. Sure, there's some of that. Early on in my participation here I was the 'victim' of it a little bit but found ways to avert it. I also saw that there occasionally seemed to be particularly a ganging up on new members, and by just a few people. I personally fought against that and joined with those who gave a little hell to the people who did it -- and I honestly thought this had almost entirely stopped. And I agree extremely with those who feel that as internet forums go, this one is unusually civil.

I do think there has been a possible issue lately, but different than what you said. I think there has been a decrease in activity in general, and especially in some of the best kinds of discussion. (It was discussed a bit on a thread recently.) I'd guess some of that is just because it's summer (although I don't know if that's really typical for summers), but I think some also is due to "banning" and related consequences, like other people also leaving and/or just decreasing their participation.

If you do leave, I'm with those who just wish you the best. I'm also with those who urge you to consider staying and either just avoiding what you don't like, or working a little bit to help eradicate it. It can be done. In addition to what I mentioned above, I've done my little part to try to get rid of other things that I thought were pretty awful, like the obnoxious "Do a search" that people would sometimes get when asking something. It was a small thing, but I've been glad to see that unless I'm missing something, that kind of reply seems to be mostly extinct.

I've enjoyed and appreciated your participation here. I hope it will continue, or if you do take a leave, I hope you'll be back. Regardless, I wish you the best. You've been a great member.

#1491628 - 08/09/10 01:46 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
^ +1

If you want to watch some uncivil behavior, look at some of the comments on various YouTube videos! Yikes, compared to that, PW is the very model of civility!

I too will miss SeilerFan, though I can somewhat understand where this member is coming from. I have gradually learned to just stay out of contentious threads- which eventually end up being slamed shut by a moderator anyway.

#1491637 - 08/09/10 01:53 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: argerichfan]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
You're right about YouTube. Totally brutal, yet very honest. In fact, it's one of the only places where you get to read what people 'really' think.

#1491638 - 08/09/10 01:54 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: SeilerFan]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SeilerFan
What turns me off Pianoworld is, as I said, the negativity and material vacuity many posts convey,...

Huh? No way.

#1491639 - 08/09/10 01:55 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: argerichfan]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: argerichfan
.....I have gradually learned to just stay out of contentious threads- which eventually end up being slamed shut by a moderator anyway.

Maybe should they be shut sooner?
Not saying necessarily I think they should be, just a question for thought.

For the most part I have felt it's good that the moderators are so lenient in letting things run their course. Occasionally I have wondered why they're not more active in telling people to "cut it out" on those occasions when it's called for -- although maybe there's more of that than we're aware of, behind the scenes. And maybe there should be consideration to closing crap threads more readily.

Maybe. Although I can't really think of much here that's like what Seiler said.

#1491642 - 08/09/10 01:56 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: eweiss]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: eweiss
You're right about YouTube. Totally brutal, yet very honest.....

Sometimes.
I think more often, the negative comments are just nasty, or ignorant.

And often the positive comments are pretty ignorant too. smile
Some extremely awful things get high praise.

#1491647 - 08/09/10 02:07 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Sometimes.

Yea, and if you challenge you better be ready for a fight.

#1491664 - 08/09/10 02:29 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: MikeN]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I always though of PW as having a high degree of social control, and conduct. I haven't seen that many threads getting out of hand, however this forum seems quite vulnerable for trolls.

#1491669 - 08/09/10 02:37 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Victor25]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Victor25
.....this forum seems quite vulnerable for trolls.

I don't think so (relatively).
Looks to me like some people's frame of reference is optimistically high. smile

I've participated in a few other internet forums, mostly non-music.
Music-related forums in general (especially if there's a strong focus on classical music; maybe that's my snobbery) smile seem to be more civil and more troll-free than others, and I think this one is way up there among those.

But then again, we don't always know who's a troll, and it's possible that this site, being probably more "intelligent" than most, also has more clever trolls. smile
There's a thread right now where some people think the OP is a troll, others don't. And whichever camp is wrong, you can't blame them.

#1491676 - 08/09/10 02:49 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Victor25]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

SeilerF,
You can't go. You are our official coffee expert (Krups fans non-withstanding!) laugh.

In my earlier training days, a mentor used to remind me repeatedly to put on my brass bra (shield in your case) before I start my day's work. It was sensible advice that came in handy a little too frequently.I use it now to browse these "internets". It is an odd environment. You find yourself offending (annoying smile ) people without meaning it just as often as you find yourself on the receiving end of wildly irate diatribes. The whole thing swimming in a sea of near anonymity. It is a matter of balancing the need for communication, sharing and acquiring information and the need to maintain one's sense of privacy and I will go as far as saying dignity. To this end, I find that raising one's shields at all times serves my needs best. I do not get my ego and pride involved. If I sense misunderstanding (or stupidity) I move on and stop responding.

Having said that, there are many knowledgeable and cool people here. I have learnt to like even the conservatives among them!

#1491677 - 08/09/10 02:51 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: SeilerFan]
Mark_C Offline

Seiler: Since I was truly puzzled over what you may be referring to, I looked to see which threads you've been on lately, and I see that this was the most recent one.

Is that thread the main trigger for this?

I haven't been on there and I only skimmed it, but I could see right away that it seems to fit what you are describing. It's on a different area of the site (Piano Forum) and maybe there's a lot of that kind of stuff over there, but for what it's worth, I think there isn't on Pianist Corner. I can imagine that when people are talking about buying pianos, maybe it's more apt to touch nerves. I mean, talking about composers and pieces and our own playing can touch nerves too, but I can imagine it might be greater about buying pianos.

Plus, in defense of the people who maybe got out of hand over there (I didn't see any of those posts, just references to them), the original post does make you 'wonder.'

#1491680 - 08/09/10 02:55 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

.....this forum seems quite vulnerable for trolls.

I don't think so (relatively).
Looks to me like some people's frame of reference is optimistically high. smile

I've participated in a few other internet forums, mostly non-music.
Music-related forums in general (especially if there's a strong focus on classical music; maybe that's my snobbery) smile seem to be more civil and more troll-free than others, and I think this one is way up there among those.

But then again, we don't always know who's a troll, and it's possible that this site, being probably more "intelligent" than most, also has more clever trolls. smile
There's a thread right now where some people think the OP is a troll, others don't. And whichever camp is wrong, you can't blame them.

With vulnerable I meant that 99% of the people on this forum as so nice and helpful, they keep 'feeding a troll', without being aware of it. However I could be wrong ofcourse!

#1491683 - 08/09/10 02:57 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sometimes.

True. But that's what people really think. They let it all hang out because of anonymity. Not saying I like what I read, but it is refreshing to actually see what people think unedited.

#1491685 - 08/09/10 02:59 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Victor25]
Mark_C Offline

With vulnerable I meant that 99% of the people on this forum as so nice and helpful, they keep 'feeding a troll', without being aware of it.....

Oh OK -- I misunderstood. I think that's true -- provided the troll is very clever. smile

But I don't know that a lot of it has gone on. I can think of one person a few months ago who kept posting recordings that were purposely awful, pretending he didn't realize it, and seeking feedback. And, for a while, getting it. I don't know about any more than that.

#1491686 - 08/09/10 03:00 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: eweiss]
Mark_C Offline

Sometimes.
True. But that's what people really think. They let it all hang out because of anonymity. Not saying I like what I read, but it is refreshing to actually see what people think unedited.

Refreshing? ha
I wonder if maybe you've been lucky to have not seen much of the worst.

It makes me appreciate that I move in different circles than that. smile

#1491688 - 08/09/10 03:04 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Seiler: Since I was truly puzzled over what you may be referring to, I looked to see which threads you've been on lately, and I see that this was the most recent one.

Is that thread the main trigger for this?

In comparison to a number of threads from the past, that one is somewhat tame.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1491690 - 08/09/10 03:08 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I can think of one person a few months ago who kept posting recordings that were purposely awful, pretending he didn't realize it, and seeking feedback. And, for a while, getting it. I don't know about any more than that.

PP I suppose? And of course we can't even be sure he knew they were awful and was having fun with us by posting them. Maybe he was delusional and thought of himself as great. We cannot know and will never know... frown

Music is my best friend.

#1491704 - 08/09/10 03:28 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
I can think of one person a few months ago who kept posting recordings that were purposely awful, pretending he didn't realize it, and seeking feedback. And, for a while, getting it. I don't know about any more than that.
PP I suppose?

Bingo! smile

Quote:
And of course we can't even be sure he really didn't know they were awful....

Yes we can. He knew.
Some things about his playing showed clearly, without any doubt (whatsoever), that he was very good and knew his stuff.

#1491711 - 08/09/10 03:34 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, I remember the excellent trills??
Who knows, they could have been his strength.
Or maybe as some said he was good at sight-reading and didn't make an effort to go any further.

Speaking of threads and trolls, it is a pity we can't add a thread to the "ignore" list, although with some good will you just don't read them I guess. That's what I usually do when they get out of track.

I don't have more than 15 minutes a day when it goes well anyway... And I am not an Internet person. I prefer libraries and crumbling books.

Music is my best friend.

#1491720 - 08/09/10 03:45 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Victor25]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I always though of PW as having a high degree of social control, and conduct. I haven't seen that many threads getting out of hand, however this forum seems quite vulnerable for trolls.
I can see why, by nature, a lot of pianists are a bit sensitive, and it comes from the emotional vulnerability of playing infront of people. Sometimes it is easy to say something that bugs a musician that wouldn't think twice about.

#1491730 - 08/09/10 03:55 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

Yes, I remember the excellent trills??
Who knows, they could have been his strength....

It was much much more than that. (Trust me.)
But let's not spend too much space on him.....it's history. smile

#1491733 - 08/09/10 03:56 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: jdhampton924]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: jdhampton924
Sometimes it is easy to say something that bugs a musician that wouldn't think twice about.

I TAKE OFFENSE!!! HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!!!!! mad tiki mad

#1491735 - 08/09/10 03:57 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Kreisler]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

O he better apologize... he better!

#1491736 - 08/09/10 03:57 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Kreisler]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
Sometimes it is easy to say something that bugs a musician that wouldn't think twice about.

I TAKE OFFENSE AT YOU TAKING OFFENSE, HOW DARE YOU DARE ME TO DARE YOU TO DARE ME TO DARE BEETHOVEN!!

#1491739 - 08/09/10 03:58 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Kreisler]
Mark_C Offline

Well anyway you don't seem to take offense at what we said about the moderators! ha

#1491740 - 08/09/10 03:59 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: jdhampton924]
Mark_C Offline

I TAKE OFFENSE AT YOU TAKING OFFENSE, HOW DARE YOU DARE ME TO DARE YOU TO DARE ME TO DARE BEETHOVEN!!

I hope you fully realize that he might take offense at your taking offense that he takes offense.

#1491755 - 08/09/10 04:07 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: ChopinAddict]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
SeilerFan,
Thank you for all the ongoing contributions you have made on PW. I have read many of your postings over the nearly 2 years that I have been an active reader here on various forums within PW. It is only recently that I started posting here, after a 15 month quest to find a grand piano. I had many unfortunate and expensive experiences in taking trips in to the cities of Victoria and Vancouver to look at pianos, before I finally made my purchase. I could have written many nasty things about my experiences on the 'piano forum' but I chose to refrain. We all have a choice on how we engage with others and the kind of contribution we wish to make.

I am looking forward to engaging in many aspects about piano playing and music here on PW. A place where one can share with others who have a common interest. This site is one of the most amazing discoveries I have ever come across - and I've been around for a few years, and lived in most of the larger cities in my home country. It amazes me that I can engage in discussion from my little place 'in the woods' with anyone in an instant around the entire planet. I have communicated with several people here, including yourself, and sometimes had no idea where they lived, only later to discover, that I'm communicating with someone in Turkey, Ireland, or South America...

The PianoWorld forums are what each of us individually make of it. I find it doesn't take long to get a sense of contributors authenticity and sincerity here.

I wish you the very best in your ongoing music adventures! It appears like you'll be very welcomed again if you chose to participate here at a future time.

Dara

#1491761 - 08/09/10 04:11 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: jdhampton924]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Whats going on on that piano forum :| they are the same people as in the pianist corner, not?

Also

#1491782 - 08/09/10 04:32 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Victor25]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I will miss you, SeilerFan. I hope that you will at least look in once in awhile.

Too true, internet forums and television programs can take up more than their fair share of time, which may be used for more important things... but I don't think I can say the same about reading your posts.

Goodbyes are saddening, but thanks for taking the time to say goodbye. Maybe, after all, it is only au revoir.

#1491792 - 08/09/10 04:40 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Jeff Clef]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Which piece is Schroeder playing in that cartoon? I remember reading an article somebody posted here a while back about how Schulz chose the musical excerpts for the strip quite deliberately. I'm curious about which piece he'd use to illustrate the meaning of life. smile

#1491795 - 08/09/10 04:41 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I hope you fully realize that he might take offense at your taking offense that he takes offense.

This will only make things even more confusing when we all take offense and have to start over.

#1491796 - 08/09/10 04:41 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Monica K.]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That should be the pathetique, 3rd and 4th pages.

#1491831 - 08/09/10 05:13 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Victor25]
Mark_C Offline

Whats going on on that piano forum :| they are the same people as in the pianist corner, not?....

Not really. There's overlap but it's basically different groups.

#1491834 - 08/09/10 05:15 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Whats going on on that piano forum :| they are the same people as in the pianist corner, not?....

Not really. There's overlap but it's basically different groups.

It frightens the hell out of me, I'l never go to that subforum!

#1491838 - 08/09/10 05:18 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: gooddog]
bukopaudan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Happy practicing, enjoy your music, and be well. <3

Em

#1491883 - 08/09/10 06:02 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US

Sometimes.

There's someone who leaves the exact same comment on every music video they watch. They call every song "the greatest melody ever written in the history of popular music".

#1491889 - 08/09/10 06:05 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Victor25]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Victor25 - "It frightens the hell out of me, I'l never go to that subforum!"

Isn't that somewhat hypocritical for you to be saying this, seeing how you've made approximately 30 postings on that forum.

It's statements like this that only add to the divisive nature of some of the communications here on PW. Perhaps give a little thought and consideration to what you write. As I mentioned earlier, the forums here are what each of us individually make of it.

Dara

#1491923 - 08/09/10 06:40 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Sometimes it's friends, sometimes I even suspect the same person creates multiple accounts to praise him/herself. eek They should use the same software used by our Kreisler to detect multiple accounts... smile

Music is my best friend.

#1491934 - 08/09/10 06:49 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: ChopinAddict]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
If one isn't up to the general public's opinion, or has the grown-up feeling that one is beyond all that, or is afraid or not-pleased of/by other peoples written behaviour, fine, but when one feels uncomfortable by other people's comments, or doesn't agree with the level of discussion on this forum, I hope one will find a more civilized corner of the world, although I would think that that would be on top of the Grant Tetons, or the K2...see you..

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Rachmaninoff etudes tableaux op.39

#1492056 - 08/09/10 08:39 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
PP I suppose?

Bingo! smile

I miss PP. He was a hoot.

#1492058 - 08/09/10 08:45 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: argerichfan]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan
^ +1

If you want to watch some uncivil behavior, look at some of the comments on various YouTube videos! Yikes, compared to that, PW is the very model of civility!

I too will miss SeilerFan, though I can somewhat understand where this member is coming from. I have gradually learned to just stay out of contentious threads- which eventually end up being slamed shut by a moderator anyway.

Youtube Videos? laugh Try 4chan :P

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

#1492207 - 08/09/10 11:21 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Damon]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon
PP I suppose?

Bingo! smile

which one is PP?? The guy with the plaid pajama pants and a single video?

#1492212 - 08/09/10 11:28 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Andromaque]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SeilerFan
There has been so much spite and hatred going on in various forums: useless gigantic threats in many subforums here that dish out Herculean amounts of negativity.

I went back a re-read the OP's post, and find that I cannot believe the OP and I have been reading the same forums.

Some negativity? Sure. Some back-stabbing? Yes, but "Herculean amounts of negativity?" And "So much spite and hatred" ?

Seilerfan is certainly free to leave or stay. But these statements do not relfect the PW I know. If they were true, I too would leave.

I am saying this to everyone to get some perspective, and to set the record straight for any lurkers (and my students who I refer here) who might be reading this thread and wondering if PW really is the uninhabitable hell on earth that some claim it to be.

It is not that hell. PW is great.

End of sermon.

#1492216 - 08/09/10 11:31 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Andromaque]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Andromaque
PP I suppose?

Bingo! smile

which one is PP?? The guy with the plaid pajama pants and a single video?

You remember, the guy who knew all of Beethoven's sonatas, and could play any of the Liszt etudes "in a pinch". Then he invited us on a journey to listen as he learned Chopin's 2nd Ballade (I believe)

Partypianist

#1492219 - 08/09/10 11:33 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Damon]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

laugh got it.. That was soo entertaining.. I think we should invite him back!

#1492235 - 08/09/10 11:55 PM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Andromaque]
breakfast shark Offline

While I'm as sad as the next guy to see a seasoned member leave, imho how well this place viewed is purely a matter of perspective. I'm a relatively new member, and I've seen several instances where discussions spin out of control, and people don't hesitate to turn ugly behind the mask of a computer screen.

But,

being part of a younger generation that grew up with the internet, I'm so very used to seeing such behavior running rampant everywhere. When I first found this forum, I was quite literally shocked that a place like this can actually exists online. Like several others have already stated, one only needs to look at any other major discussion site, be it youtube, 4chan, or gaming sites, to see how ugly things becomes on an hourly basis. By comparison, this place houses, by far, the most civil discussion groups I've ever encountered on the internet.

But like I said, this is how it appears only from my end of the screen. And while I think this place has it good, there's always room for improvement. OP mentioned that he's not really an internet person to begin with, so it's possible that he's not used on the general behavior that's "accepted" on the net. I don't want to sound condescending to anyone, but imo it takes a great amount of desensitization in order to regularly read the internet and not be continuously offended.

#1492256 - 08/10/10 12:15 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: breakfast shark]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: breakfast shark
....being part of a younger generation that grew up with the internet, I'm so very used to seeing such behavior running rampant everywhere..... By comparison, this place houses, by far, the most civil discussion groups I've ever encountered on the internet.

....it's possible that he's not used on the general behavior that's "accepted" on the net. I don't want to sound condescending to anyone, but imo it takes a great amount of desensitization in order to regularly read the internet and not be continuously offended.

I think that's probably a lot of what's involved here. I'm more in his age group but I've been "desensitized" because the other forums I've been on have been mainly younger people -- car sites and baseball sites. This site has more people in the "mature" category than most sites do, and so things are more 'mature' (sort of) ha but it also means that many of the people don't have the full frame of reference that you mentioned.

And they may not care. It may not be any consolation to them that this site is better (or 'less bad') than other sites. They may just not want any part of the unpleasantry (and really I don't either, but I find ways to avoid it or to try to help stop it). But it remains a little hard for me to understand, because I haven't been seeing much of the kind of thing here that Seiler talked about.

#1492271 - 08/10/10 12:39 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Damon]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

Partypianist

I well remember that one. Very early on it was glaringly apparent that something was amiss, and I never got involved -if I recall correctly- with any anything he posted.

#1492309 - 08/10/10 01:57 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Dara]
Zindaras Offline

Originally Posted By: Dara

Isn't that somewhat hypocritical for you to be saying this, seeing how you've made approximately 30 postings on that forum.

It's statements like this that only add to the divisive nature of some of the communications here on PW. Perhaps give a little thought and consideration to what you write. As I mentioned earlier, the forums here are what each of us individually make of it.

Dara

I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

Sometimes it's friends, sometimes I even suspect the same person creates multiple accounts to praise him/herself. eek They should use the same software used by our Kreisler to detect multiple accounts... smile

I don't doubt that they do. But besides the fact that it would take too much time to check each multiple account for abuse, there just isn't any real point to it. If people want to act sillily or stupidly, let them. Unjust praise usually just provokes even harsher criticism afterwards.

I have been to a lot of forums with the same kind of technology, and I've never seen anyone sell out a multiple account as easily as in the mentioned thread: and to detrimental effects, I might add (the moment he was exposed, any hope for the thread evaporated). Most of the time, multiple accounts were used for normal purposes (as jokes, or to avoid the name that comes with the original account).

I feel that, unless there is serious disruption going on, a multiple account is any person's own business.

#1492324 - 08/10/10 02:45 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Zindaras]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Zindaras
Originally Posted By: Dara

Dara

I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

Yes, I realized afterwards that may have been the case. So apologies to you Victor, if so. Also didn't intend to sound condescending...

#1492326 - 08/10/10 02:53 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Dara]
Mark_C Offline

Have to admit, I thought it was serious too.

#1492332 - 08/10/10 03:15 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Seriously funny?

#1492341 - 08/10/10 03:53 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Dara]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry for my odd sense of humor, it was quite obvious to me, hey, the dutch guy got it, maybe its cultural smile.

Edited by Victor25 (08/10/10 03:54 AM)

#1496928 - 08/16/10 07:38 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: lilylady]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Originally Posted By: lilylady
It only gets better if 'we' make it better SF. Sometimes familiarity with posters breeds the ability to be a little too familiar in our posting, and maybe that is why some feel like it is OK to be insulting. ???

PW members were very encouraging to me while I shopped and got back into making music once again.

What comes around, goes around, so the saying goes. I was helped, so now enjoy helping and encouraging others when I can.

I also thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie of others that enjoy pianos, playing, and music.

Don't be gone long, SF.

Well said...
PTG Associate

#1496934 - 08/16/10 08:02 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Mark_C]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
It's just an online forum. I would never take it too seriously. If it gets nasty...turn it off and be thankful it's not the "real world".

#1496942 - 08/16/10 08:19 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Peyton]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Peyton
It's just an online forum. I would never take it too seriously. If it gets nasty...turn it off and be thankful it's not the "real world".
It kinda is you know, but thankfully at more than arm's length.

#1496969 - 08/16/10 09:25 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: keyboardklutz]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Originally Posted By: Peyton
It kinda is you know, but thankfully at more than arm's length.

Hmmm... if life in the "real world" were as easy to handle as life on an online forum it would just be too simple. ie. If you and I got into an argument and really got on each other's nerves I could just say "bye", and you are gone. However, were we working together in the "real world" and got into an argument I could not just turn you off. I would have to deal with it. That to me is reality. This forum stuff is just a "cyber reality"... smile

#1496995 - 08/16/10 10:15 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: Peyton]
keyboardklutz Offline

Can't just walk away in the real world eh? I suppose you have a point there though maybe I try not to turn up in the first place.

#1497007 - 08/16/10 10:28 AM Re: Taking a Break from PW [Re: keyboardklutz]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Can't just walk away in the real world eh? I suppose you have a point there though maybe I try not to turn up in the first place.

Right on... laugh laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
Today at 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
Today at 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
Today at 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
Today at 06:37 AM
Who's Online
134 registered (Anne'sson, ando, ajames, 46 invisible), 1644 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157688 Topics
2316147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission