Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 68 of 191 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1173896 - 04/03/09 03:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Pattylynn]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Cool. I love Amazing Grace. I learned it on my Tin Whistle and looking forward to learning it on the piano!

I haven't really looked at it closely. I've still got a lot of book to get through before the last page. smile

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1173926 - 04/03/09 04:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Pattylynn]
wj3 Online   content

Loc: Salem, Or
I have been working on Amazing Grace for couple of weeks now. I can play it but not very smooth on my chord changes. It jumps around a bit. Not happy enough to pass myself on it yet....I am wanting to go on to book two but need to feel that I have accomplished book one first.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1174509 - 04/04/09 04:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: wj3]
Guinnie Offline

Well, I have a ways to go before I get to Amazing Grace...at least a couple of weeks. I did order the Greatest Hits books 1 & 2 from Amazon and they should arrive Monday. I need a bit of supplemental music, so those should work out just fine for me.

#1174528 - 04/04/09 05:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Guinnie]
BarbVA Offline

I'm slowly getting back to piano, spending no more than 15 minutes at a time. I've got Lone Star Waltz down and ready to move on, just have to take it slow for a little bit longer (hopefully).

#1174596 - 04/04/09 08:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Great job Barb!

Good for you!

#1174603 - 04/04/09 09:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: kennychaffin]
mom3gram Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Glad you're back to playing again. Take it slow. :-)

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1175043 - 04/05/09 05:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Guinnie Offline

That's great news Barb! Slow and easy...just do as much as you feel like doing.

#1175073 - 04/05/09 06:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Guinnie]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well I think I've got Jingle Bells under control, Got Merrily We Roll Along checked off I've been working on Largo (pretty close to done) and beginning to work on Saints Go Marching In - 1st version.

Still a lot of work and practice to get my chord changes smooth and playing up to speed. Probably be working on Saints most of the week I'll bet.

#1175088 - 04/05/09 07:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: kennychaffin]
1000 Post Club Member

Oh, you'll like "Saints", Kenny. Lots of fast chord changes. The second version drove me nuts.

#1175139 - 04/05/09 09:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
Oh, you'll like "Saints", Kenny. Lots of fast chord changes. The second version drove me nuts.

Yep, I'm seeing/experiencing that already. smile

#1175572 - 04/06/09 02:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: kennychaffin]
Kroger Offline

Loc: Virginia
This is the first book I purchased in my attempt to get back into Piano after a 20+ year hiatus. After 1.5 weeks, I'm very happy. For me, it did a great job of slowly introducing notes and chords, and after a few nights of practice, I feel like I am remembering a lot of what has been dormant for way too long.

I'm pretty close to getting Amazing Grace to where I want it to be. The Entertainer was a good lesson in getting different beats with the LH/RH. Great book!

#1175723 - 04/06/09 07:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Kroger]
Leon Shuffle Offline

Just finished up with Beauty and the Beast from the Greatest Hits. After playing Rock Around the Clock, where you're hands jump all over the place, BATB was a welcome relief. I didn't bother to memorize it but it's easy enough to read, I think.

#1175901 - 04/07/09 02:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Leon Shuffle]
romolo Offline

Loc: Canada
Good job with Jingle bells kenny...that one really bugged me. You'll like the saints though...I did laugh

#1175941 - 04/07/09 05:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: romolo]
Ejay Offline

Loc: U.K.
thanks for the welcome smile

Glad you have conquered Jingle bells Kenny. It is amazing the difference in difficulty in different arrangements . I'd say this book has a rather more difficult version then some others.
That is why a thread working from same book is a good idea.

Book two has arrived, the pieces look more interesting and is great inspiration to get on with book one.
I've completed Lavender's blue and Kumbaya and a couple of others which takes me to Lone Star waltz page 52 in my teach yourself version of the book. I don't have Blow the man Down, but am sure the other pieces in my book must be comparable. Well done Romolo on mastering it.

(My net access has been down, hence so long in replying.)

#1176003 - 04/07/09 09:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
1000 Post Club Member

No "Blow the Man Down"????? How can that be???? You are missing a whole rite of passage for this thread. We'll just have to get you a copy of the music. grin

#1176019 - 04/07/09 10:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
I agree... you can't go to the book 2 thread until you have vanquished "BTMD" smile

I am still working on Chipanecas and Auld Lang Syne.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1176107 - 04/07/09 01:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Working on "Scarborough Fair"

#1176122 - 04/07/09 01:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: angelojf]
molto_agitato Offline

Loc: Washington State
Hello everyone, this seems like an appropriate place to post an introduction! I'm a 26 year old adult beginner; I've been taking lessons for about twenty months. My teacher has me working on the usual fare: scales, chords, arpeggios, Hannon exercises, various Czerny studies (from op. 599), and Burgmuller etudes. As for repertoire, I've been variously assigned some of the simpler pieces from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, the easiest sonatinas, and assorted "challenge pieces". I must say, I'm rather intimidated by the apparently high level of talent exhibited by many members of the "adult beginner's" board! I haven't worked out of the Alfred-All-In-One adult books, but I'm thinking about buying them, just so I will be able to join in on the discussion with other adult beginners. So many of the other topics at this forum seem to be devoted to pieces that I'm afraid are going to be forever far beyond my abilities!

#1176134 - 04/07/09 02:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: molto_agitato]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Welcome, molto agitato.

There is comfort in knowing a group sharing your struggles and triumphs as an adult beginner. However, your previous hard work may have earned you a pass to the AAIO Book Two Thread. You may want to order the Alfred's book two and review it before buying book one.
There are several of us here that are just moments ( well weeks anyway) from earning our Book One wings only to fly into the perils of book two. shocked

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1176190 - 04/07/09 03:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
wj3 Online   content

Loc: Salem, Or
I am just finishing up on "Amazing Grace", still not quite happy with the chord changes not being very smooth yet. I am just about ready to "fly into the perils of book two". Looks like a bunch of you will be joining me. Yea!!!!!

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1176193 - 04/07/09 03:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: wj3]
1000 Post Club Member

I guess I'm going to be left behind again. I'm still trying to get the hang of "Good People", while I spend some time reviewing several of the previous Alfred pieces, as well as working from my Faber Adult and Bastien kids books. I WILL get there though. Good luck to all of you that seem to be on the last pages of Book 1.

#1176243 - 04/07/09 05:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I guess I'm going to be left behind again. I'm still trying to get the hang of "Good People", while I spend some time reviewing several of the previous Alfred pieces, as well as working from my Faber Adult and Bastien kids books. I WILL get there though. Good luck to all of you that seem to be on the last pages of Book 1.

Well, I'm gonna be here for a while myself most likely I'll try to keep you company. smile

#1176502 - 04/08/09 02:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: kennychaffin]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Hi mom3gram and kennychaffin,

I haven't had the time to frequent this thread as much as I used to, but from the few brief postings that I've seen, you both are progessing nicely regardless of time. Try not to feel so dishearten, instead rejoice in the progress that you've made thus far. They're certainly still fresh in my mind, the songs and lessons of book 1, and am still glad and grateful that I took my time in learning them.

I'm certain that you'll also join us in due time. In the meantime, it's always nice to have you visit us.

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

#1176509 - 04/08/09 03:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Key Notes]
Ejay Offline

Loc: U.K.
oh I'll be here a while yet too. I still spend most of my time on scales , chords and arpeggios.
Lol at BTMD, I'm afraid one or two different pieces really doesn't justify purchasing another book, but yes it does seem to be a major piece here. I'll be polishing off Lone Star Waltz and Cafe Vienna today and starting Brahm's Lullaby.

Welcome molto.. I'm new here too.

#1176657 - 04/08/09 11:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
1000 Post Club Member

Not disheartened at all, Keynotes, just a little frustrated with "Good People", but on the whole, I am happy with where I am - after all, I knew absolutely nothing when I started, and now I'm playing piano. :-) My observation that I was being left behind again was meant with good humor. I will get there in my own good time.

I made a copy of "Good People" and divided it into single beats. The only other piece that I did this with was BTMD, and it worked well for that. It's helping some with "Good People" but I'm not making as much progress as I had hoped. I've put it aside a few times, but I don't give up easily.

#1177044 - 04/08/09 09:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Leon Shuffle Offline

I can see Chiapenecas is going to take a while. And by the way, mom (if I may call you that), I do enjoy playing Beauty and the Beast.

#1177059 - 04/08/09 10:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

No "Blow the Man Down"????? How can that be???? You are missing a whole rite of passage for this thread. We'll just have to get you a copy of the music. grin

grin

#1177082 - 04/08/09 10:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not disheartened at all, Keynotes, just a little frustrated with "Good People", but on the whole, I am happy with where I am - after all, I knew absolutely nothing when I started, and now I'm playing piano. :-) My observation that I was being left behind again was meant with good humor. I will get there in my own good time.

Quote:
I made a copy of "Good People" and divided it into single beats. The only other piece that I did this with was BTMD, and it worked well for that. It's helping some with "Good People" but I'm not making as much progress as I had hoped. I've put it aside a few times, but I don't give up easily.

Yes, I also have to remind myself quite often to know when to let myself and a challenging piece rest. Contrary to my fear of forgetting everything, I've always been glad to find that upon my return I didn't forget everything, but intead have even gotten just a bit better. Quite strange, but I guess it does work. Perhaps loosing focus and concentrations after a certain amount of time plays a major role in my being counter productive. smirk

And another wonderful idea regarding breaking things down into even smaller, single beat pieces to work on. I'll have to remember to borrow this technique sometime down the road. Thanks!

Key Notes smile

#1177159 - 04/09/09 02:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
devilhead Offline

where do i get this book?

#1177201 - 04/09/09 06:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: devilhead]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I found a version of it at a local music store, but got the real one used on Amazon.com

Try this search:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url...amp;x=0&y=0

Edited by kennychaffin (04/09/09 08:07 AM)

Page 68 of 191 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, Alux, 46 invisible), 1477 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153616 Topics
2251469 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission