2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1493603 08/11/10 04:09 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I'm almost finished with Alan Walker's bio of Hans von Bulow, one of the most important pianist/conductors of his time. I highly recommend the book and found it more enjoyable than Walker's Liszt triography(just too immense for me).

Walker gives a page of von Bulow aphorisms in the chapter on von Bulow's masterclasses during 1884-1887. Some may be very familiar...others not so.

1.Talent is industry.

2.Whoever cannot sing(whether the voice be beautiful or unbeautiful) should not play the piano.

3.In the beginning was rhythm.

4.Crescendo means piano. Diminuendo means forte. You must not begin by being at once what you are yet to become.

5.When you make music your permanent condition must be that you are highly dissatisfied with yourself. Then you must ask yourself, what is the reason that you are highly dissatisfied?

6. With Bach you must always be aware that whenever he composes keyboard music, it is the organ that strikes his imagination. With Beethoven it was the orchestra; with Brahms it is both.

7. With Beethoven one must place one's technique in the shadows, not bring it into the light.

8. There are three grades of musical performance. One can play correctly, beautifully, and interestingly. But one must not play so interestinly that it ceases to be beautiful; and not so beautifully that it ceases to be correct.

Comments on any of these welcome.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/11/10 07:57 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

2.Whoever cannot sing(whether the voice be beautiful or unbeautiful) should not play the piano.

My life is over cry

7. With Beethoven one must place one's technique in the shados, not bring it into the light.

I've been thinking about this one, and I'm not quite sure what it means. Does it mean that you aren't supposed to seem like you have good technique when playing Beethoven? But how do you not show that off? You DO have to have good technique to play Beethoven...hmm

OP Offline
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
7. With Beethoven one must place one's technique in the shados, not bring it into the light.

I've been thinking about this one, and I'm not quite sure what it means. Does it mean that you aren't supposed to seem like you have good technique when playing Beethoven? But how do you not show that off? You DO have to have good technique to play Beethoven...hmm
It means that one shouldn't approach a Beethoven work as a technical display even if the technique required is very difficult.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/11/10 08:01 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh! It's MUSIC, not an exercise! Of course!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I very much like no 8. I should put it on the wall above my piano and return to aiming for the first of the three, hoping for future inspiration.

Personally I don't mind if Interesting slightly ecpipses beauty and correctness for a moment or two.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

My life is over cry

I think it means you must hear the music within and be able to sing within, regardless of what comes out...
I used to sing as a child, but I don't sing any more now... frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

My life is over cry

I think it means you must hear the music within and be able to sing within, regardless of what comes out...

Oh good. I can do that. I know how it's supposed to sound, that's how I know I can't sing...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think that's enough, that's why the quote says "whether the voice be beautiful or unbeautiful"... Sometimes the reasons why someone cannot sing ("externally" so to speak) don't have anything to do with musicality. The reasons are simply physical sometimes. At least I think so, maybe those who professionally sing here can say more...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think that one is somewhat related to the other one I quoted, except in general, not just about Beethoven. You can't just look at playing piano as pushing down keys in rhythm, you have to feel the music, and hear how it sounds in your head. Ahh, but it's so hard to make it sound how I want it to sound.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Bulow: The three greatest composers are Bach, Beethoven and Brahms. All the others are cretins. (Sometimes translated as 'idiots'.)

Moszkowski then commented: The three greatest composers are Mendelssohn, Meyerbeer and Moszkowski. All the others are Christians!

laugh

Jason
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

My life is over cry

I think it means Von Bulow liked to pontificate.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Canonie

Personally I don't mind if Interesting slightly ecpipses beauty and correctness for a moment or two.

No lie. I think it should eclipse them at all times, unless the interest actually lies in the beauty or in the correctness, which can happen.

wr #1494055 08/12/10 07:24 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
These are great. Especially like #5. Thanks for posting them.

What does he mean "Talent is industry"?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Peyton

What does he mean "Talent is industry"?

Talent is a product of hard work.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission