2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Colin Miles, CrisOliveira, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In my humble opinion, the most serious problem with the Piano World site lies not in the search but in a serious problem in one of the scripts.

I use both Firefox and Opera, and both browsers occasionally, very spuriously, crash and occasionally even blue screen the whole machine. This only happens when the PianoWorld site is open. It happens on Windows XP and Vista OSes, Firefox and Opera browsers (the only two I use), and on multiple computers.

I suspect the Amber Alerts crawler at the bottom, but that's a very rough guess.

Last edited by gerg; 08/13/10 12:31 PM.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
That's never happened to me: Firefox (with some NoScript here and there) on Vista.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gerg
In my humble opinion, the most serious problem with the Piano World site lies not in the search but in a serious problem in one of the scripts.

I use both Firefox and Opera, and both browsers occasionally, very spuriously, crash and occasionally even blue screen the whole machine. This only happens when the PianoWorld site is open. It happens on Windows XP and Vista OSes, Firefox and Opera browsers (the only two I use), and on multiple computers.

I suspect the Amber Alerts crawler at the bottom, but that's a very rough guess.

Interesting.

That's the first I've heard of this problem. We have 53,000+ members, and over 17,000 unique visitors a day.

If it were an issue, I would presume others would be reporting the same thing.

I'm not saying it couldn't/didn't happen, just that it may be isolated to a specific set of circumstances.

There are by the way thousands of sites with the code amber code. We've had it for years now with no reported issues.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
If your computer is blue screening then it's not the fault of the website, or even the browser, you have some issue with your OS (or drivers). Not to say that some element on a particular website is causing your browser to do something that eventually leads to this, but the fault lies squarely on the software, not the site. Wouldn't surprise me at all if your issue is with Flash, since it is common on websites but also has hooks into the OS that can cause catastrophic failure. I'd start with updating/reinstalling Flash and work from there.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure that it's the Amber code. That's just a suspicion as it is the only thing (other than animated gifs, which likely are not problematic) that has constant event-driven updates. It's likely a thread safety issue.

I develop software for a living and usually find myself on the other end of trouble tickets with reports like this. The bluescreens, in fact, often occur at the same time I'm building code in Visual Studio 2008 - itself an unstable environment. To be fair, the worst-offending machine is itself unstable.

Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
C
C
Frank, good improvement. Thanks for adding it to PW.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BTW, Frank, the new search is a great improvement! I did not mean to pour cold water on that, so sorry for that.

You're offloading the search function onto a cluster specifically adapted for searching, effectively utilizing a COTS solution. You 1) improve the search capabilities and at the same time 2) improve performance.

Very well done! thumb

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice, Frank! Thanks for taking the time to listen to us grumble & then give us something new & improved. smile It's much appreciated.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
FWIW, using Firefox (always latest "stable" version)on XP, Vista, and 7 on various machines, I have never experienced any of the crashes gerg describes. I also doubt it has anything to do with Flash. The only flash I see on the site is in (very few) ads. I have experienced some crashes when I have tried out "alpha" and "beta" bersions of Firefox, but that is to be expected. I literally cannot remember the last time I experienced a crash with a stable version of Firefox on any of the machines I have (even the old XP machine). My browsing habits on PW may be a bit unorthodox in that I open every thread that interests me in tabs, and view them one by one until I'm done. Sometimes I literally have two dozen tabs open at once. I would think anything that was going to cause a crash would be worsened by the strain on resources that many open tabs represents. Then again, I am a fairly experienced tinkerer, but not a software developer, so I could be wrong.

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 08/13/10 05:12 PM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Two questions, which may be related to the new search engine.

1) Why are there now little red circle/triangle icons everywhere? (Clicking on them seems to link to a blank screen).

2) Why are there now vertical scroll bars on every single message window? Again, they don't seem to have any purpose, since there is no need to scroll.

Both of these detract from the former clean cut look of the forums.

Thanks,
Lawrence

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
1.) A glitch in the ShareThis software, being fixed by them as we speak.

2.) Not sure what you mean about vertical scroll bars on every message window.
A specific example?

Best,

Frank B.
Piano World

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Google custom search rocks. Well done Frank. wink As to forum software, have you ever considered phpBB? I admin a couple of phpBB 3 forums and I've been very impressed with it. Could save some $$ since it is free and open source.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Piano World
1.) A glitch in the ShareThis software, being fixed by them as we speak.

2.) Not sure what you mean about vertical scroll bars on every message window.
A specific example?

Best,

Frank B.
Piano World

When I read this message for example, there is a scroll bar immediately to the right of the message, but there is no need to scroll, due to the size of the message. If you're not seeing this, it is perhaps something to do with my settings?

After posting this, I note that the scroll bar appears on every message on the page. I can do a screen shot, if helpful.

Last edited by Melodialworks Music; 08/14/10 04:52 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission