Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1494554 - 08/12/10 06:48 PM New SEARCH Function - Your Feedback?
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
The search function that comes with the UBB is very slow.

Because it tends to lock up the board on long searches, we've restricted it to a maximum of 2 years worth of threads.

The new SEARCH box in the upper left hand corner of the forums is from Google. It only searches the Piano World and PianoSupplies.com web sites.

Search Results are in the Middle of the Page.

Theoretically it can search ALL of the posts as well as the rest of the PW site.

It seems much faster.

~ Have you tried it?
~ Thoughts?
~ Is having it open the results in a new page helpful, or a hindrance?

We could go to a Google model without any ads on the results page, but because of the number of pages that make up PW and the Forums, it would cost about $5000.00 a year.

Of course, if everyone hates the new search we can just remove it and use the built in one that comes with the UBB (they are working on a new version of the ubb, it may also have a better search function).

www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1494557 - 08/12/10 06:51 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Piano World]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
A major improvement Frank. I tried the PW search and it always hung up. Now with big G, you get speed and relevance. smile

#1494592 - 08/12/10 07:19 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: eweiss]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Verdict:

MUCH better than the UBB search function, primarily because it returns results by thread, not individual posts, which is a tremendous help.

Thanks!!!!

...hope I will remember to use it, though, as I had gotten used to just hopping over to google and doing an advanced search there and restricting the site to PW.

#1494594 - 08/12/10 07:19 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
p.s. I much prefer having the results open to a new page.

#1494660 - 08/12/10 08:27 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Monica K.]
J_D Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Very fast and having the results on a separate page is not a hassle at all.

Thanks!!

#1494700 - 08/12/10 09:21 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Your Feedback? [Re: Piano World]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I love it, thanks!

Music is my best friend.

#1494703 - 08/12/10 09:26 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: J_D]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
A huge improvement. I think it's great.

I had actually given up on the built-in search a while ago, and used Google for my PW searches anyway (using Google's "site:" search option).

It's not just that the built-in search doesn't go back far enough. It's also that its search relevancy is not good. The new search is far better.

-J

#1494715 - 08/12/10 09:35 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: beet31425]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I like it too. I had tried a while back to look up my old thread to post for some newer people here but couldn't find it. I actually found it via another thread by accident even though I was typing in word for word, it was not showing up. I typed the same thing into Google and it popped right up on the first try and on the first line. Nice improvement.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1494836 - 08/12/10 11:37 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
supersport Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I was using Google already so I like this. I like the results opening in a new page too.

#1494845 - 08/12/10 11:49 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: supersport]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I like it. thumb

But I have sort of worked out how to use the existing search facility for some things, so I hope we keep that as well. For example, if you recall a particular poster saying something good but you can't exactly recall what it was smile you can search for it (advanced search) by specifying the poster, a forum and maybe a likely word, and seeing what comes up. I've found some lost gems like that.

#1494859 - 08/13/10 12:22 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: currawong]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Excellent!

flickr

#1494902 - 08/13/10 01:54 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: TX-Dennis]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Fast and easy if it only could be conbined with at least some of the advanced search functions [in the title; in the body; or both]

In the old one it was convenient you can specify where you want to look, i.e. in what forum (e.g. piano forum; pianist corner ..) and make a selection by user name.

With the Google search results you also do not know how they are listed: by 'relevance', by 'date'.

schwammerl.

#1494907 - 08/13/10 02:12 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: schwammerl]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Love it.

#1495039 - 08/13/10 08:28 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: AJF]
KenD77 Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Nice!

#1495043 - 08/13/10 08:40 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: currawong]
Piano World Offline

Originally Posted By: currawong
I like it. thumb

But I have sort of worked out how to use the existing search facility for some things, so I hope we keep that as well. For example, if you recall a particular poster saying something good but you can't exactly recall what it was smile you can search for it (advanced search) by specifying the poster, a forum and maybe a likely word, and seeing what comes up. I've found some lost gems like that.

The existing search that is part of the UBB will stay, and hopefully improve.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1495045 - 08/13/10 08:42 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Piano World]
Zindaras Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Like most, I've been using a limited Google search, so I really like this feature. Also, I like it opening in a new tab, but then again, I love my tabs.

#1495068 - 08/13/10 09:25 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Zindaras]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Frank -

You might want to notify the other forums about the new search feature. For example, I don't find it mentioned in the Digital forum. Some of the folk "over there" never come "over here" so how would they know about the new feature?

Lawrence
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1495139 - 08/13/10 11:33 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I just tried it and it seems very good. Easy to use. A couple of questions, or wishes, possibly comparing to UBB search:
is it possible to limit the search to a specific forum?
what order are the results returned in? (doesn't seem to be date most recent)

Thanks anyway.

#1495153 - 08/13/10 11:58 AM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: spanishbuddha]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
OK, I'll be the contrarian, other than the speed and lack of depth, I personally prefer the old search. Full disclosure, I've never been a big fan of the google search, they lost me when they bought the dejanews archive and I lost the ability to do left anchored wildcard searches. Note that this is still a problem to this day, use the new search to look for CP70* and it fails to pick up posts that only have CP70B. Since my search term is not an English word, it's stemming rules do absolutely no good here (and interestingly enough, that seems to be the vast majority of the type of searches I personally do). I also prefer some other forum software where you can ask for your results in either thread or individual post form vs the "make'em page through more results to maximize page hits" format that google uses.

OK, enough grousing, I'm obviously in the minority here and I am of course free to simply not use it, but Frank did ask for opinions smile

#1495160 - 08/13/10 12:08 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: bitWrangler]
Piano World Offline

That's ok bitWrangler, opposing views often bring opportunities.

I've been working with the developers of our UBB to improve their built in search engine. Version 8.0 of the UBB should be out soon, we'll see how much better it all is.

I realize the Google search has limitations, but it does dig pretty deep, and it is fast.
We will however continue to offer both options (the Google driven search and the built in application).

There are other options out there, but to properly index and serve the million plus pages of our site it would cost thousands of dollars a year.

Right now, both options we are using are free.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1495167 - 08/13/10 12:27 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Piano World]
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
In my humble opinion, the most serious problem with the Piano World site lies not in the search but in a serious problem in one of the scripts.

I use both Firefox and Opera, and both browsers occasionally, very spuriously, crash and occasionally even blue screen the whole machine. This only happens when the PianoWorld site is open. It happens on Windows XP and Vista OSes, Firefox and Opera browsers (the only two I use), and on multiple computers.

I suspect the Amber Alerts crawler at the bottom, but that's a very rough guess.

Edited by gerg (08/13/10 12:31 PM)

Don't click here!

#1495168 - 08/13/10 12:29 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: gerg]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
That's never happened to me: Firefox (with some NoScript here and there) on Vista.

#1495178 - 08/13/10 12:40 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: gerg]
Piano World Offline

Originally Posted By: gerg
In my humble opinion, the most serious problem with the Piano World site lies not in the search but in a serious problem in one of the scripts.

I use both Firefox and Opera, and both browsers occasionally, very spuriously, crash and occasionally even blue screen the whole machine. This only happens when the PianoWorld site is open. It happens on Windows XP and Vista OSes, Firefox and Opera browsers (the only two I use), and on multiple computers.

I suspect the Amber Alerts crawler at the bottom, but that's a very rough guess.

Interesting.

That's the first I've heard of this problem. We have 53,000+ members, and over 17,000 unique visitors a day.

If it were an issue, I would presume others would be reporting the same thing.

I'm not saying it couldn't/didn't happen, just that it may be isolated to a specific set of circumstances.

There are by the way thousands of sites with the code amber code. We've had it for years now with no reported issues.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1495180 - 08/13/10 12:42 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: gnuboi]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
If your computer is blue screening then it's not the fault of the website, or even the browser, you have some issue with your OS (or drivers). Not to say that some element on a particular website is causing your browser to do something that eventually leads to this, but the fault lies squarely on the software, not the site. Wouldn't surprise me at all if your issue is with Flash, since it is common on websites but also has hooks into the OS that can cause catastrophic failure. I'd start with updating/reinstalling Flash and work from there.

#1495188 - 08/13/10 12:50 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: bitWrangler]
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not sure that it's the Amber code. That's just a suspicion as it is the only thing (other than animated gifs, which likely are not problematic) that has constant event-driven updates. It's likely a thread safety issue.

I develop software for a living and usually find myself on the other end of trouble tickets with reports like this. The bluescreens, in fact, often occur at the same time I'm building code in Visual Studio 2008 - itself an unstable environment. To be fair, the worst-offending machine is itself unstable.

Don't click here!

#1495200 - 08/13/10 01:07 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: gerg]
Crit Offline

Loc: North Carolina, US
Frank, good improvement. Thanks for adding it to PW.

#1495231 - 08/13/10 01:44 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: Crit]
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BTW, Frank, the new search is a great improvement! I did not mean to pour cold water on that, so sorry for that.

You're offloading the search function onto a cluster specifically adapted for searching, effectively utilizing a COTS solution. You 1) improve the search capabilities and at the same time 2) improve performance.

Very well done! thumb

Don't click here!

#1495331 - 08/13/10 04:58 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: gerg]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Nice, Frank! Thanks for taking the time to listen to us grumble & then give us something new & improved. smile It's much appreciated.

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#1495333 - 08/13/10 05:04 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: gerg]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
FWIW, using Firefox (always latest "stable" version)on XP, Vista, and 7 on various machines, I have never experienced any of the crashes gerg describes. I also doubt it has anything to do with Flash. The only flash I see on the site is in (very few) ads. I have experienced some crashes when I have tried out "alpha" and "beta" bersions of Firefox, but that is to be expected. I literally cannot remember the last time I experienced a crash with a stable version of Firefox on any of the machines I have (even the old XP machine). My browsing habits on PW may be a bit unorthodox in that I open every thread that interests me in tabs, and view them one by one until I'm done. Sometimes I literally have two dozen tabs open at once. I would think anything that was going to cause a crash would be worsened by the strain on resources that many open tabs represents. Then again, I am a fairly experienced tinkerer, but not a software developer, so I could be wrong.

Edited by TX-Dennis (08/13/10 05:12 PM)

flickr

#1495429 - 08/13/10 07:03 PM Re: New SEARCH Function - Feedback? [Re: TX-Dennis]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Two questions, which may be related to the new search engine.

1) Why are there now little red circle/triangle icons everywhere? (Clicking on them seems to link to a blank screen).

2) Why are there now vertical scroll bars on every single message window? Again, they don't seem to have any purpose, since there is no need to scroll.

Both of these detract from the former clean cut look of the forums.

Thanks,
Lawrence
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (AndrewJCW, 36251, 23 invisible), 1111 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157231 Topics
2309271 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
09/02/14 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
09/02/14 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
09/02/14 04:16 AM
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
09/02/14 04:11 AM
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
09/02/14 02:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission