2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tomasino
Impressionistic? Not quite what I remember from singing his songs. I'm not very familiar with his piano works though, so maybe I'm off.

Anyway, I thought he was thought of as "Expressionistic," very similar to impressionism in some ways and very opposite in others. For example, his songs would typically have a number of measures of the ethereal, disembodied and magical sensibility we call impressionism, and this would be suddenly contrasted with something quite violent. I thought this contrast was pretty much what defined expressionism. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, or if this isn't typical of Griffes' piano works.

Although I have often heard him referred to as the "American Impressionist", I believe he was much more wide-ranging than just that single style.

Excerpts from Grove Music Online:

Griffes's early works are strongly influenced by German Romanticism. His songs for voice and piano, with German texts are representative of this period....

In about 1911 Griffes began to abandon the German style. The works written from then until about 1917 are highly coloured, free in form, and generally reflect many other elements of musical Impressionism. The piano pieces, for example, are pictorial and employ descriptive titles and/or poetic texts (e.g. Three Tone-Pictures and Roman Sketches). But as often as not Griffes added the texts and titles after he had completed the works. Impressionistic moods are established by gliding parallel chords, whole-tone scales, augmented triads, ostinato figures across the bar-line, and other devices. Of the songs from this period, the Tone-Images and Four Impressions most clearly reflect Griffes's brand of Impressionism. The Three Poems op.9, on the other hand, are extremely dissonant, tonally obscure, and stylistically experimental.

In November 1916 and 1917 Griffes composed settings of five oriental poems for voice and piano, based on five- and six-tone scales. Published in 1917 as Five Poems of Ancient China and Japan op.10, they were the first works in Griffes's ‘oriental’ style.... In 1917 Griffes prepared the imaginative and colourful orchestral version of his best-known oriental work, The Pleasure-Dome of Kubla Khan (originally written for piano).

The late Piano Sonata, (1917–18), is one of Griffes's most powerful and striking works. It shows him at the peak of his creative power and is a complete break from the style and approach of his earlier works: not only is it uncompromisingly dissonant, but it is absolute music with no imagery intended, no poetic programme, and no descriptive title; moreover, unlike the earlier works for piano, which were rhapsodic one-movement forms, it is cast in three movements with the two outer movements in recognizable sonata structure....

The Three Preludes for piano (1919), Griffes's last completed works, mark yet another turn in his brief career in the search for a musical language which would best express his individuality. They retain the abstract harmonic language of the sonata but represent him as a miniaturist writing within the confines of 32 bars or less....

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
packa #1495975 08/14/10 05:12 PM
C
C
You can see a resistance to the word - Impressionism - in that bit, but eventually it slips. smile While I don't think Griffes could be pigeonholed into that genre, it seems almost impossible to describe him without reference to the old impressionist school.

S
S
unfortunately there's not a single youtube recording of the barcarolle, and strangely Geoffrey Tozer didn't include Op.6 in his Griffes piano works CD. maybe you want to record it yourself, argerichfan? wink

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sorcerer88
unfortunately there's not a single youtube recording of the barcarolle, and strangely Geoffrey Tozer didn't include Op.6 in his Griffes piano works CD. maybe you want to record it yourself, argerichfan? wink

laugh , Sorcerer, a fair enough request.

The Chopin Bb minor Scherzo was horribly more difficult than anything of Griffes, but there is one slight problem: the Griffes is too much tied to a love affair I had when learning it.

This is so funny. The youngsters on the board have not yet been through a crushing love affair, and the elder statesmen here have long put that stuff away.

So here I am in the middle. I can talk about the 'Barcarolle', but I will not listen to it, nor my recording of it.

Piff paff. smokin

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto

I agree not all of Griffes's work sounds impressionistic. That's why I'm confused why my professor named him among the 3 impressionist composers when he left out Ravel. confused

Griffes has a much higher impressionistic output/total output ratio in his music than Ravel. Same with Debussy. Who's the third composer your professor said again?

All I can think of by Ravel is Gaspard de la Nuit, some of Miroirs, and Jeux d'Eau. I may be forgetting one or two. The rest of it is totally neoclassical, neobaroque, pre-jazz/jazz-ish, or something like that.

S
S
hah, funny thing, i will actually (kind of) dedicate a performance of a special piece to a girl that is in a relationship, so maybe i'll soon share your fate and never listen to it again laugh

if anyone finds any recordings - especially the barcarolle - let me know!

ps: i knew i recognized your avatar, the CD just arrived on my shelf, excellent recordings! the fact that argerich set a reference performance of the Liszt sonata live on her debut recital is pretty amazing..

Last edited by Sorcerer88; 08/14/10 08:42 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
hah, funny thing, i will actually (kind of) dedicate a performance of a special piece to a girl that is in a relationship, so maybe i'll soon share your fate and never listen to it again laugh

ps: i knew i recognized your avatar, the CD just arrived on my shelf, excellent recordings! the fact that argerich set a reference performance of the Liszt sonata live on her debut recital is pretty amazing..

We'll take this one at a time. laugh

1. Glad I'm not the only one a total mess when things go crazy with love affairs. A lot of that sh*t affected my concentration at uni.

2. The only recording I have heard (besides my own) is Carol Rosenberger. IMO, she is not in any sense a great pianist -listen to her hopelessly sloppy Chopin Barcarolle- and then if you REALLY want to hear what a miserable pianist she is, try the Strauss Burleske. It is pathetic, but I suppose if we didn't have the examples of Argerich, Serkin, Janis, etc, then perhaps we could be happier saying 'Well, she got through it'.

3. As for my avatar, well that says it all. I have heard SO MANY recordings of the Liszt sonata, and I am willing to stand by my opinion that Martha Argerich is unsurpassed. I have listened to it so many times, she meets Liszt head-on, she takes the extremes of Liszt's combustible emotions as if it were second nature, she has musical sex with him.

All other recordings bore me. Okay, Horowitz makes quite a bit more racket (though I wonder to what end), but Horowitz is always about 'Horowitz', the composer be damned. Argerich takes Liszt on without question. IMO, she is the far greater interpreter.

Jason
BruceD #1496151 08/14/10 10:08 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by SlatterFan
[...]P.S. It surprised me very much to hear his surname pronounced as two syllables in a music shop some years ago. British readers like me might expect "Griffs", and French or Canadian readers might expect "Greef", but his name is apparently correctly pronounced "Griff-iss".

I have never heard his name pronounced other than the two-syllable Griff'-iss. But then, how often have I heard his name pronounced at all?

Two syllables is how it is given in this music-related prounouncing dictionary . But then, their "Ginastera" pronunciation is wrong...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

There may not be any recordings of the barcarolle on youtube (though I haven't checked), but there are a fair number of recording of the pieces that make up the Roman Sketches.

Originally Posted by Catenaires
You can see a resistance to the word - Impressionism - in that bit, but eventually it slips. smile While I don't think Griffes could be pigeonholed into that genre, it seems almost impossible to describe him without reference to the old impressionist school.

Yes, this is a bit odd. Composers grow and change as they gain experience and as they come into contact with new strains of thought. The fact that Griffes spent time as a young man in Europe at the turn of the century puts him in direct contact with Debussy's influence. What a shock that he might have been affected by Debussy's piano music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Naxos has issued a two-volume set of Griffes piano works with Michael Lewin. Op. 6, including the Barcarolle, is on Vol. 2 (Naxos 8.559046).

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
packa #1496293 08/15/10 04:56 AM
S
S
oh, right, i already have Vol. 1, that's what i meant with wondering that Tozer didn't do the Barcarolle (thought he was the pianist), i'll order Vol. 2 right away =)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission