2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
mathmom Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey, all! Thanks for some of the insight you helped with. I think part of my problem is that I have a hard time buying something fast. I have been shopping for my piano for almost a year now, so no one really would accuse me of rushing into things. I've shopped around, tried different brands. It's just a lot of money.

The price on the piano is $15,995. I'm not really done negotiating, but the dealer stated that as the price he could get me. It would push my budget quite a bit after taxes but it sounded like a good price on the RX-2, and I have been thinking that I would only be able to afford a used one in my price range. I can "afford" the quoted price, just not sure if I wanted to go quite that high.

I am a mom to five kids--five future musicians! My oldest (12) plays the violin and I enjoy so much being able to accompany her on her violin solos, or play piano/violin duets. My next two (ages 10 and 7) both play the piano. The younger two will when they can sit still a little longer. Right now I have a very old and out of tune console to play on--nothing inspiring about that! So, this (future) piano would get a lot of use for our family. I want something that will perform well for many years. So, that's a little about me. Thanks!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Mathmom,

Two kinds of math here.

On the piano price, unless there's some funny stuf (damaged goods, sideways deal with no factory warranty, short-term rental to a maximum security penitentiary) the price per se is a no-brainer.

The other math is the stretch to make it work with a family of five kids. Only you can do that math.

I guess the pain of the stretch would be measured against how much you and your playing kids like this particular piano. You've been shopping a while. How does this piano stack up against all the others you've tried out?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Finding and affording the "perfect" piano is such a wearisome, but thrilling process. I have a love/hate relationship with my piano on at least a quarterly basis. I have a LOVE/LOVE relationship with my piano teacher's Yamaha concert grand, and another friend's Bosendorfer 225. But, I only get to play those two pianos about once a week or so... doubtless, I would start having fickle moments with those if I had them every day.

If the OP and her kids really like the Kawai RX2 Blak, they should jump on it. The price, as others have said, is a no brainer. And, the improvement over an old worn out console piano will be immense!

Cary Rogers, PharmD
San Francisco, CA
1887 Knabe 6'4" (Rebuilt)
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by turandot

I disagree with the sentiment here that the OP should sample tons of pianos before deciding. If (s)he really likes that Kawai RX2, she could simply buy it, bid adieu to the constant puerile PW bickering about X being better than Y, Z being the best of all, etc., and simply enjoy making music on a fine piano with a good name, good resale value, consistent build quality, and great customer support.

I spent 1 week piano shopping. That was a few months ago and since then I've been reading this PWPF learning about pianos I never tried. I knew I wanted a piano. I found what I liked. I thought about the pricing and decided it was a good deal. So yea, I agree with turandot here. I'm still very satisfied with the instrument. If only I could play more than 10 minutes a day, sigh.

In fact I got a Kawai too so I think mathmom should totally just go for it smile The price (now that we got it out of her) is totally awesome especially for a BLAK. I had thought only the non-BLAK remaining stock were going through firesales.

Last edited by gnuboi; 08/15/10 01:05 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission