Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1495808 - 08/14/10 12:01 PM Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes
SJFAN Offline

Loc: france
Hello all

how do you do ?

What would you say are the

1/easiest joplin ragtimes ?
2/most difficult joplin ragtimes ?

i just want your opinion
i think no joplin ragtime is easy

about the most difficult

maybe

wall street rag
maple leaf rag
stoptime rag

Piano & Music Accessories
#1495834 - 08/14/10 12:41 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: SJFAN]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
The "Entertainer" if I remember is definitely the easiest though once you've played a couple and got your chops up as for "stride" than they are all about the same as for difficulty. grin
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1496242 - 08/15/10 01:28 AM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: SJFAN]
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I agree that there are no easy Scot Joplin rags although you can find simplified versions of some of them. Assuming you are playing the original unsimplified versions you should stay away for now from the ones which are played at a fast tempo, such as Maple Leaf Rag and Pineapple Rag. The Entertainer is probably as good a place to start as any. The Chrysanthemum and Palm Leaf Rag are two others that you might want to look at.

#1497811 - 08/17/10 11:28 AM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: SJFAN]
WalkFar Offline

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
Here is an older post with an opinion that I found informative:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...html#Post560971

Originally Posted By: Perfessor Bill Edwards
If you REALLY want to start in Joplin I can recommend the following:
Country Club
Weeping Willow
Peacherine Rag
The Chyrsanthemum (a little harder, but not too much syncopation)
Solace (not a rag, but a good introduction to the format and the habanera rhythm)
School of Ragtime (found in some Joplin sources)

After these, The Entertainer will come more naturally.

Edited by WalkFar (08/17/10 11:30 AM)
Edit Reason: fixed link

#1498568 - 08/18/10 12:17 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: WalkFar]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
once you get used to the left hand jumping around and the predictable syncopation, they seem easy.

good luck

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1498655 - 08/18/10 02:14 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: pianobroker]
SJFAN Offline

Originally Posted By: pianobroker
The "Entertainer" if I remember is definitely the easiest though once you've played a couple and got your chops up as for "stride" than they are all about the same as for difficulty. grin

With all due respect, The "Entertainer" isnt so easy .... maybe you think it's easy because it's in C ?.
Like many rags, The difficulty is to play it from A to Z ; i dont know your level but you got to have a good level to play the end !

#1498657 - 08/18/10 02:17 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: Chris G]
SJFAN Offline

Originally Posted By: Chris G
I agree that there are no easy Scot Joplin rags although you can find simplified versions of some of them. Assuming you are playing the original unsimplified versions you should stay away for now from the ones which are played at a fast tempo, such as Maple Leaf Rag and Pineapple Rag. The Entertainer is probably as good a place to start as any. The Chrysanthemum and Palm Leaf Rag are two others that you might want to look at.

With Joplin, i dont want to start, i want to end ! ( just kidding )

Btw, who ever tried the stoptime rag ? you need alot of concentration !

Edited by SJFAN (08/18/10 02:20 PM)

#1498991 - 08/18/10 11:20 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: SJFAN]
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Originally Posted By: SJFAN
maybe you think it's easy because it's in C ?
C is not an easy key to play in. In general, the more black keys, the better. The Entertainer sucks, though. Maybe it's a mental thing you have to get through to play something that bad. laugh

Edited by gryphon (08/18/10 11:20 PM)

#1499555 - 08/19/10 08:59 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: gryphon]
sportsdude2060 Offline

Originally Posted By: gryphon
maybe you think it's easy because it's in C ?
C is not an easy key to play in. In general, the more black keys, the better. The Entertainer sucks, though. Maybe it's a mental thing you have to get through to play something that bad. laugh

What!?!?!?! LIES! On all accounts!

Haha, I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one because C major is the easiest key for me -- and I love the entertainer. wink

Oh, and by the way, of the 2 joplin pieces I have learned -- maple leaf rag and the entertainer -- maple leaf rag is much more difficult (but the other one isn't too easy either).

Edited by sportsdude2060 (08/19/10 09:01 PM)

#1499560 - 08/19/10 09:21 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: sportsdude2060]
pianoman6584 Offline

The Maple Leaf Rag is probably the easiest difficult-sounding piece I know of, though I'm sure there's more difficult ones. I learned it within my first three months of playing piano and I'm definitely no prodigy. It's just really easy patterns, not to mention many many repetitions. It was actually the B section with the big jumps that I had the most trouble with, if anything. Judging by the complexity of Solace, I would say it's probably one of his more difficult pieces. I had a little trouble with Heliotrope Bouquet as well because it's totally different from his normal style.

#1499570 - 08/19/10 09:45 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: pianoman6584]
sportsdude2060 Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoman6584
The Maple Leaf Rag is probably the easiest difficult-sounding piece I know of, though I'm sure there's more difficult ones. I learned it within my first three months of playing piano and I'm definitely no prodigy. It's just really easy patterns, not to mention many many repetitions. It was actually the B section with the big jumps that I had the most trouble with, if anything.

While that is true, maple leaf rag can be made much easier/harder depending on what tempo you use. If you actually use a "tempo di marcia," the piece becomes little more difficult than like linus and lucy; however, if you play it a bit more quickly, as most people now do, (perhaps at the speed in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B04--XmZiE or even a little faster), parts like the 3rd section can easily trip you up (or at least me -- if you really could play it at full speed with few mistakes within 3 months of play, I probably would put at or near the prodigy category).

#1503220 - 08/25/10 08:17 PM Re: Scott Joplin : Easy and difficult ragtimes [Re: SJFAN]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello all

how do you do ?

What would you say are the

1/easiest joplin ragtimes ?
2/most difficult joplin ragtimes ?

i just want your opinion
i think no joplin ragtime is easy

about the most difficult

maybe

wall street rag
maple leaf rag
stoptime rag

Hi SJFAN!!

I began my Ragtime playing back around early 2009 with a simplified version of "The Entertainer." It didn't have all the octaves, but it did have syncopation. Once you understand, and can execute syncopation, any rag is "learn-able" in my opinion.

Like another poster stated, start with a simplified version and then work your way up. Find one that has fewer notes, fewer octaves, but the same basic structure. As your fingers get stronger and you learn how to play the complex chords and octaves that are part of Joplin's full versions, you'll have a "good foundation" if you learn the easier stuff first.

I am learning Maple Leaf Rag right now (my 4th rag), and got the 3 sections up to my desired performance tempo (84 BPM). smile
The trio is one of the most difficult (if not THE most difficult) that I've encountered so far. The 1st 2 sections (or the 4th) aren't difficult at all, IMO. Also, "Weeping Willow", which I just submitted to the ABF recital isn't so bad either - except for the 2nd strain...that one was really tricky.

Good luck!

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (AndrewAJC, anotherscott, Beakybird, AndyG123, AmateurBob, BB Player, 34 invisible), 1405 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155807 Topics
2287825 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday transcribed for Organ
by musdan
39 minutes 2 seconds ago
How do you get $1,000-2,000 for an Out-of-Tune piano??!!?
by Paul678
43 minutes 27 seconds ago
Keeping a digital piano in storage - worth it?
by hexentanz
Today at 05:22 AM
Personal monitors
by Tim K
Today at 02:55 AM
Happy Birthday Transcription for the Organ
by musdan
Today at 01:41 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission