2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Does anyone know any good interpreters of Beethoven's Sonatas (especially his late ones)?
I usually listen to Backhaus and Richter but i would like to know of more, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
A
A
Kempff is good.

I've recently converted to Barenboim as my favourite though!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
For sure somebody would mention Artur Schnabel pretty soon, so why not. smile
If you haven't checked him out, you have to -- before you wonder much more about this.

Let me put in a vote also for a guy that I had the chance to meet and get to know a bit in France -- Eric Heidsieck. I think his interpretations are among the most "interesting" -- perky, sometimes a little quirky but not much, and full of life. He's "different," but not far-out or strange like we might say about Glenn Gould. Some of his stuff is on YouTube, mostly in Japanese for some reason. ha
(He's very popular in Japan -- dunno why there particularly.)

A
A
Gilels. Definitely.

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
i thank you all and i shall work through these suggestions. i presume you're talking about Wilhelm Kempf and yes Schnabel is good. I have never heard of Heidsieck so i shall check him out. I have never been a particularly big fan of Gilels but i have never heard his Beethoven so maybe that can sway me into liking him! anyway i thank you all again.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
it's shame there aren't more recordings of Cziffra or Solomon playing Beethoven.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by andrew f
Gilels. Definitely.
I am a fan of Gilels. His Waldstein, Op. 2 No 3, and Pathetique really won me over. His Hammerklavier is wonderful too.

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
aahh, i am awaiting to hear the greatest rendition of the Hammerklavier! I thought Richter came close but the final movement wasn't as perfect as the previous two, but i could have become too lethargic by then. Maybe Gilels holds my dream performance, and it always does tend to be the ones you least expected!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Brendel.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Richard Goode.

Jason
The greatest Beethoven player and conductor of his time was Han von Bulow. I just finished a great bio of Bulow by Alan Walker. The programs back then were often gigantic. Von Bulow quite frequently played the last 5 Beethoven Sonatas on one program and once played the Hammerklvier fugue as an encore.

Von Bulow also seems to have been one of the great masters of the comical insult. It seems like everyone other page of the book is filled with some extremely clever but nasty comment by von Bulow.

For some performances von Bulow made the orchestra play standing up and from memeory. Von Bulow himself almost always conducted without the score.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/15/10 08:02 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Lots of people try and conduct without the score. From what I've heard, they frequently have memory slips, which orchestra members detest.

A
A
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPianist
Lots of people try and conduct without the score. From what I've heard, they frequently have memory slips, which orchestra members detest.

It's showboating. In my old gig the md always had a stage hand go on stage to remove the conductor's desk in full view of the audience just before he would go on stage himself.

Not von Bulow.

Which other conductors besides Karajan(?) conduct most/all of the time without the score?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/15/10 09:00 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Schnabel - of course, has already been mentioned.

For Late Sonatas - Christoph Eschenbach is fascinating. He takes some liberties, but his playing is very imaginative and very appealing.

Ronald Brautigam is very good, as well - especially if you want an interpretation on an older forte-piano.

Last edited by Mattardo; 08/15/10 10:15 AM.
M
M
Gulda. Friedrich Gulda.

J
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Which other conductors besides Karajan(?) conduct most/all of the time without the score?

Sir Simon Rattle. I've been enjoying lately the Berlin Philmarmonic 'concert hall' feature where all concerts from 2008 season on can be watched high-definition on a Sony HD TV (internet streaming). Rarely have I seen him using a score.

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Eschenbach is known for conducting without a score. I heard him conduct a wonderful "Turangalila" from memory a few years back.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
Originally Posted by andrew f

It's showboating. In my old gig the md always had a stage hand go on stage to remove the conductor's desk in full view of the audience just before he would go on stage himself.
While I can't speak for other conductors who don't use the score, in von Bulow's case I feel quite certain that it had nothing to do with showboating. He had a prodigious memory and probably didn't give it a second thought or assumed it was part of mastering a score. Nothing in the book indicated von Bulow went without the score to make an impression. He even made the orchestra players memorize the score on some works(Beethoven symphonies, I think).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Gilels is masterful in Beethoven. I like Richard Goode as well , but actually prefer his earlier Beethoven sonatas to the later ones .

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have two recommendations for the complete set, both already mentioned above. They're both passionate but rigorously disciplined, in the manner of Richter.

1. Brendel, the early Vox recordings. This is the fiery young Brendel (not the, um, sort of lethargic older Brendel), and he achieves a pearly sound in his Hammerklavier that's magnificent.

2. Ronald Brautigam on the forte-piano. I'm not generally a fan of period instruments, but these recordings are revelations. for each sonata, you feel that you're right in the parlor room where it's being unleashed in public for the first time.

-Jason

D
D
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
Does anyone know any good interpreters of Beethoven's Sonatas (especially his late ones)?
I usually listen to Backhaus and Richter but i would like to know of more, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No one has mentioned Arrau, so I will. Claudio Arrau's interpretations of the Beethoven Sonatas are my favourites. I feel that his performances bring out more warmth than many of the other interpreters. I suppose his interpretations are more individual but I like that and it's interesting to compare his playing with that of the more Germanic interpreters. Another important thing for me is that Arrau plays ALL the repeats which I think is absolutely right.

Music Teacher (Piano/Theory/Musicianship)
Originally Posted by Derek Hartwell
No one has mentioned Arrau, so I will....

I should have too. I have 2 complete sets of the sonatas and his is one of them (the other is Heidsieck). He has always been my favorites, for just about anything he played.

I'd say Heidsieck's are more "individual" but Arrau beats just about everyone on continuous concentration and intensity.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Another important thing for me is that Arrau plays ALL the repeats which I think is absolutely right.

Even the repeats of the development/recap in the first movements of the first two sonatas? Those are the only repeats I would imagine a high number of concert pianists wouldn't take.

-Jason

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
Another important thing for me is that Arrau plays ALL the repeats which I think is absolutely right.

Even the repeats of the development/recap in the first movements of the first two sonatas? Those are the only repeats I would imagine a high number of concert pianists wouldn't take.

-Jason

Why not? I hear plenty of pianists take them, as would I.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

I think there are at least a couple other examples. One of them is just a small one: The last repeat in the "scherzo" (2nd mvt) of Op. 110.

And.....the "Bulow-Lebert" edition of the sonatas comes out strongly against taking the repeat of the recap of the last mvt of the Appassionata. IMO the idea of not taking the repeat is pretty absurd, and the explanation is even absurder:

"Excepting the case in the Finale of the C-minor Symphony [sic, with the hyphen] smile (first part), the Editor [sic, upper case] ha knows no more unjustifiable compulsion [sic] to repetition than this. The whole poem presses to a close; the player, who thus far has striven [sic] with all the technical and mental energy at his command to fulfil his task, must [sic] now be so near exhaustion, as to be obliged to muster his entire [sic] remaining strength in order to meet the demands of the Coda -- demands hardly to be over-estimated. If he obeys the repeat, his work will [sic] be inferior to the first time (unless he unduly [sic] saved his strength before); on the listener the repetition may make a didactic, but in no case [sic] an artistico-plastic impression [sic!!]; therefore let reverence for an extrinsic matter of inattention [SIC!!!!!!!] on the Master's part be saved up for private practice, in which the reproductive musician [sic] ha must always [sic] be able to accomplish at least twice as much as is required of him at a public concert."

Do you believe these guys???? smile

Nevertheless, some people indeed omit the repeat. smile

P.S. Sic 'em!!! ha

I quite like Barenboim's recordings, I've heard Gilels' Waldstein and Hammerklavier too and they are fantastic. I'm hooked on Barenboim's Op.109 now though..

J
J
Although there are a few pianists with very good individual recordings of Beethoven Sonatas, if you take the Sonatas as a SET, I think the most consistent throughout is Alfred Brendel.

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
Originally Posted by Mark_C
And.....the "Bulow-Lebert" edition of the sonatas comes out strongly against taking the repeat of the recap of the last mvt of the Appassionata. IMO the idea of not taking the repeat is pretty absurd, and the explanation is even absurder:

"Excepting the case in the Finale of the C-minor Symphony [sic, with the hyphen] smile (first part), the Editor [sic, upper case] ha knows no more unjustifiable compulsion [sic] to repetition than this. The whole poem presses to a close; the player, who thus far has striven [sic] with all the technical and mental energy at his command to fulfil his task, must [sic] now be so near exhaustion, as to be obliged to muster his entire [sic] remaining strength in order to meet the demands of the Coda -- demands hardly to be over-estimated. If he obeys the repeat, his work will [sic] be inferior to the first time (unless he unduly [sic] saved his strength before); on the listener the repetition may make a didactic, but in no case [sic] an artistico-plastic impression [sic!!]; therefore let reverence for an extrinsic matter of inattention [SIC!!!!!!!] on the Master's part be saved up for private practice, in which the reproductive musician [sic] ha must always [sic] be able to accomplish at least twice as much as is required of him at a public concert."

Nevertheless, some people indeed omit the repeat.
Bulow is considered by many to be one of the most important pianists and most important conductors of the second half of the 19th century. His specialty in both piano and orchestral works was Beethoven. His Beethoven recitals attracted many musicians who would follow along witht he scores. He performed cycles of all the major Beethoven piano works all over the world.

What I "can't believe" is how someone can so summarily dismiss his views(whether they're out of fashion now or not).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Bulow is considered by many to be one of the most important pianists and most important conductors of the second half of the 19th century. His specialty in both piano and orchestral works was Beethoven. His Beethoven recitals attracted many musicians who would follow along witht he scores. He performed cycles of all the major Beethoven piano works all over the world.

What I "can't believe" is how someone can so summarily dismiss his views(whether they're out of fashion now or not).

von Bulow was, indeed, quite renowned in his time as a pianist and conductor (he even premiered the Liszt b minor), but that Schirmer edition of the Beethoven sonatas that bears his name is terrible enough to cause many to dismiss his name from musical history altogether (myself included). The oversights and blatant errors are simply too numerous to be taken seriously, nor should anyone take seriously any "editor" of such a volume. I agree with Mark completely...it's an absolutely absurd explanation if ever there were one.

♪ ≠ $

Cool! You've staked out your position. smile
You think what he says makes sense.
Good. smile

Originally Posted by stores
....Bulow is considered by many to be one of the most important pianists and most important conductors of the second half of the 19th century....

....it's an absolutely absurd explanation if ever there were one.

I think his reply was perhaps influenced by the fact that it was me who posted the Bulow footnote. smile

von Bulow was, indeed, quite renowned in his time as a pianist and conductor (he even premiered the Liszt b minor), but that Schirmer edition of the Beethoven sonatas that bears his name is terrible enough to cause many to dismiss his name from musical history altogether (myself included).
Considering von Bulow's accomplishmnets, I think the idea of "dismsissing his name from musical history", even if his Beethoven edition is the worst edition in history, is arroagant.

Some rhetorical questions. Have you

Given many Beetthoven cycles in major halls recently?
Played the last five Beethoven Sonatas in one recital all over the world?
Given premieres of works of the caliber of the liszt Sonata and Wagner operas lately?
Been considered the major interpreter of Beethoven for several decades?
Been musical director of the Berlin PHilharmonic lately?
Held in great esteem by musicians of the caliber of Liszt, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, R. Strauss?

I'd be curious how many major pianists or musicians think so little of von Bulow as you do.

Coming back to where we started, maybe a more relevant question would be:

What amount of major pianists or musicians think so little of that explanation about the repeat in the Appassionata.

I think it's safe to say it's the great majority of those who have seen it.

Does that just reflect (as you mentioned) different views in different eras? Maybe. But we are us. smile

Coming back to where we started, maybe a more relevant question would be:

What amount of major pianists or musicians think so little of that explanation about the repeat in the Appassionata.

I think it's safe to say it's the great majority of those who have seen it.

Does that just reflect (as you mentioned) different views in different eras? Maybe. But we are us. smile

1. You don't seem to follow that I think it's arrogant for people with "grain of sand on the beach by comparison" musical resumes to talk about musicians of von Bulow's stature in the way you did.

2. Bulow basically said that the repeat required too much energy to be justified in terms of what comes after it. He certainly wasn't lacking in technique. You seem to forget that the style of writing was far different in von Bulow's day. Liszt's bio of Chopin suffers from the same style problems as the editorial comment under discussion.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/15/10 04:15 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
1. You don't seem to follow that I think it's arrogant for people with "grain of sand on the beach by comparison" musical resumes to talk about musicians of von Bulow's stature in the way you did.

But don't you think that even we measly grains have a valid right to criticize far more accomplished artists? If someone of great stature says something I find ridiculous, it's not necessarily arrogant for me to say so (nor is it necessarily because their opinions are "out of fashion").

More generally, I just don't understand the rebuttal (prevelant on youtube) that goes:

-- I don't think X is as great as everyone says.
-- Oh yeah? I'd like to see you do better.

But don't you think that even we measly grains have a valid right to criticize far more accomplished artists? If someone of great stature says something I find ridiculous, it's not necessarily arrogant for me to say so (nor is it necessarily because their opinions are "out of fashion").

More generally, I just don't understand the rebuttal (prevelant on youtube) that goes:

-- I don't think X is as great as everyone says.
-- Oh yeah? I'd like to see you do better.
I don't mind anyone criticizing a major musician/pianist as long as it's not done with arrogance, sarcasm, etc. It's all about how something is expressed IMO.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't mind anyone criticizing a major musician/pianist as long as it's not done with arrogance, sarcasm, etc. It's all about how something is expressed IMO.

Fair enough. I agree, of course!

....But don't you think that even we measly grains have a valid right to criticize far more accomplished artists? If someone of great stature says something I find ridiculous, it's not necessarily arrogant for me to say so.....

Thanks. smile

And I think plover didn't realize the irony of his saying this was arrogant.

How about von Bulow taking issue with Beethoven??
I mean, he didn't just express a view about the repeat; he said the repeat marks showed "inattention" on "the Master's" part. smile

If he wants to talk about differing degrees of arrogance, he's welcome. But von Bulow's footnote was quintessentially arrogant.
Even if one doesn't think it was absurd.

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by bplary1300
I'm hooked on Barenboim's Op.109 now though..

Yes! the no.30 is one of my most favourite pieces! i remember as soon as i heard the opening bars before collapsing into that beautiful slow section i was so blown away that the very next morning i travelled halfway across Essex to buy the sheet music merely to learn the first movement! although now the rest of the piece has grown on me i will one day learn it all...

Anyway i thank you all for your suggestions and i shall make my way through:
gilels
kempff
heidsieck
goode
f. gulda
eschenbach
brautigam

(i have the feeling that once i have heard all their renditions i will know the sonatas better than even Beethoven!)

But von Bulow's footnote was quintessentially arrogant. Even if one doesn't think it was absurd.
Even if von Bulow's comment was arrogant, this has absolutely nothing to do with what I said about your comment. And it certainly wasn't the reason you criticized von Bulow's comment. Why even bring it up other than to try and deflect the conversation?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/15/10 05:02 PM.
Because you accused me of arrogance.
Even if true (which it isn't) smile you were being interestingly selective.

Look, plover: You just don't care for my stuff, in general (and for me).
Everybody pretty much knows that.
Feel free to give it a rest.

I learned pretty quickly to stay away from your posts. Please return the favor.

Interesting suggestion coming from someone with the highest posting rate at PW by far. A mere 6000 posts in the last nine months.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/15/10 05:13 PM.

Interesting suggestion coming from someone with the highest posting rate at PW by far.

I knew that you often misunderstood my posts, but I didn't realize you could take it this far. smile

In my previous post (edited), I asked that you please return my favor. I would appreciate it, and I think it's safe to say most of the site would as well.

Interesting suggestion coming from someone with the highest posting rate at PW by far.

I knew that you often misunderstood my posts, but I didn't realize you could take it this far. In my previous post (edited), I asked that you please return my favor.
I should return the favor of not responding to your posts even though you just respnded to my post? How logical.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/15/10 06:45 PM.
J
J
Time out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
Look, my friend. smile
I reply to your posts only after you do one of those frontal challenges to a post of mine (which is what your replies to me virtually always are).

Did you really not understand this??

In case you didn't, now you do. So, no more excuses. smile

Cliff's Notes: Leave me alone. I would appreciate it, and I'm sure the site would too.
If you don't think so, ask them. smile

Look, my friend.
I reply to your posts only after you do one of those frontal challenges to a post of mine. Did you really not understand this??In case you didn't, now you do. So, no more excuses.
You're the one who just made an excuse for your post. Although your reply didn't answer to my previous post. You can always not reply to this post... or is that not possible for you?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/15/10 06:20 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Von Bulow may have been the best ever, but his explanation that the repeat in the Appassionata should be skipped simply because it taxes the performer too much isn't convincing, and the flowery prose doesn't help his case.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
von Bulow was, indeed, quite renowned in his time as a pianist and conductor (he even premiered the Liszt b minor), but that Schirmer edition of the Beethoven sonatas that bears his name is terrible enough to cause many to dismiss his name from musical history altogether (myself included).
Considering von Bulow's accomplishmnets, I think the idea of "dismsissing his name from musical history", even if his Beethoven edition is the worst edition in history, is arroagant.

Some rhetorical questions. Have you

Given many Beetthoven cycles in major halls recently?
Played the last five Beethoven Sonatas in one recital all over the world?
Given premieres of works of the caliber of the liszt Sonata and Wagner operas lately?
Been considered the major interpreter of Beethoven for several decades?
Been musical director of the Berlin PHilharmonic lately?
Held in great esteem by musicians of the caliber of Liszt, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, R. Strauss?

I'd be curious how many major pianists or musicians think so little of von Bulow as you do.

I don't need to add any of those things to my resume in order to state my opinion (which I stand by). As I said, apparently he was quite the pianist and conductor (and feared as a teacher), but the shoddy "scholarship" he presents with one simple edition (that from a leading "expert") says more to me than any biographical footnotes could (though I've no doubt Mr. Walker has written an excellent book).

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Interesting suggestion coming from someone with the highest posting rate at PW by far. A mere 6000 posts in the last nine months.

Who cares? Why do these numbers matter to you?

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Von Bulow may have been the best ever

No one is calling him the best ever...there is no such person.

♪ ≠ $

Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Von Bulow may have been the best ever, but his explanation that the repeat in the Appassionata should be skipped simply because it taxes the performer too much isn't convincing, and the flowery prose doesn't help his case.
Having just finished a 450 page bio of Bulow I know he had terrific technique and the stamina to play programs almost twice as long as is normally done today. I can only speculate that for him this sonata was even more intense and technically treacherous than for most other professionals. Or maybe it was just a trade off...he could play the repeat but felt without it he'd have more left for the coda.

I don't need to add any of those things to my resume in order to state my opinion (which I stand by). As I said, apparently he was quite the pianist and conductor (and feared as a teacher), but the shoddy "scholarship" he presents with one simple edition (that from a leading "expert") says more
to me than any biographical footnotes could (though I've no doubt Mr. Walker has written an excellent book).
Stating your opinion is not the same as "dismissing someone from musical history". Von Bulow's accomplishments as a pianist and conductor are not just biographical footnotes. For around 40 years he was one of the most important non composer musicians in the world. I think any shoddy scholarship, if true, seems inconsequential by comparison.

Von Bulow was held in incredibly high esteem by Liszt, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, and R. Srrauss but I guess not by stores.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/15/10 06:48 PM.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
gilels
kempff
heidsieck
goode
f. gulda
eschenbach
brautigam

Gilels is my favorite in Beethoven overall but I don't think he recorded op 111 and I find his op 110 to be somewhat under par.
As always with these things it comes down to personal taste.
Just to add a couple of names to your already impressive shortlist.Try Rudolf Serkin for the late sonatas in particular, also if you can, have a listen to Kovacevich's Beethoven cycle.Oh, and for a surprisingly good set on the cheap, try Jeno Jando on Naxos.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Gilels for me too, but a very close second is a recent recording no one has mentioned -- Paul Lewis. Unbelievably fine.

Phil Bjorlo
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Emanuel Ravelli
a very close second is a recent recording no one has mentioned -- Paul Lewis. Unbelievably fine.

Yes he's very solid.He's one of those pianists that make you think "oh, it's really not difficult at all".I've really been enjoying his concerto cycle at the proms, looking forward to no 5 in three weeks time.
By the way Perahia's wonderful 1989 performance of the 5th is on Iplayer at the moment in case anyone wants to watch it.There's also an interview with Paul Lewis on the same programme.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Toscanini and Mitropoulos both conducted without score. Toscanini's eyesight was notoriously poor (as was his temperament wink ), and Mitropoulos had his scores so thoroughly memorized that he even conducted rehearsals without score! Imagine that. Though this did lead to some inaccuracies in performance, cf his live recording of Wozzeck where the singers aren't always on the proper pitch- something I hasten to add that I certainly wouldn't catch even with a score!

Someone once asked Knappertsbusch (one of the greatest conductors of Parsifal) why unlike Karajan, he always used the score: 'Because I can read music!'

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Emanuel Ravelli
... but a very close second is a recent recording no one has mentioned -- Paul Lewis. Unbelievably fine.

I heard his Op. 106 on the radio some months back. Incredible.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
... though I've no doubt Mr. Walker has written an excellent book.

If it is anything like his Liszt bio, then it is self-recommending. Most of what I know about von Bulow (besides the Schirmer Beethoven edition) is from Schonberg's two excellent books -and IMO required reading- 'The Great Conductors' and 'The Great Pianists'.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

No one has mentioned Arrau, so I will. Claudio Arrau's interpretations of the Beethoven Sonatas are my favourites. I feel that his performances bring out more warmth than many of the other interpreters. I suppose his interpretations are more individual but I like that and it's interesting to compare his playing with that of the more Germanic interpreters. Another important thing for me is that Arrau plays ALL the repeats which I think is absolutely right.

The final sentence I'll agree with! smile

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah, the Golden Age of Pianists - tremendous pianists bringing unique and daring interpretations to the public. We have left that age and have now entered the Literal Age of Pianists, where the score is god and individuality is a dangerous thing when not applied strictly to tempo and dynamics. Every performance is expected to be 'authentic' - whatever the heck that might be! So many scholars and performers weighing in on how Beethoven would have played his sonatas in the past - never realizing that sometimes we want to hear how someone else will play his sonatas in the present.

Why choose one modern pianist over another? They frequently blend together, making a collective interpretation of Beethoven that is more dry and pedantic, than alive and moving. Great - the score has been mastered. If I want to hear a literal interpretation of the score, I can do that in my head. I'm more interested in hearing someone who is daring enough to play Beethoven in a manner that is surprising, alive and tells me something new about the piece. How often does this happen today? Hmmm....

It happened a lot in the past. The same pianists who shook the musical world with their outstanding performances are now usually scolded, insulted and dismissed by the dry scholars of today. Schnabel had some very strange ideas of how to treat measures and the emphasis accorded to them - but he's absolutely fascinating to listen to. Bulow had some odd ideas about how to interpret the Sonatas - but so many people forget that much of what he wrote was intended for the amateur at home, or the student - and they forget, or have never heard, his electrifying performances. Busoni liked to take Bach and expand him to perform better on the modern piano, and what performances! Many of the greatest pianists who ever lived had nothing close to an urtext edition to work from, or even autographs to consult. How EVER did they manage to become world-famous? It appears they just had the talent and power to bring convincing and amazing performances, without having to spend their entire life consulting musty books as to proper, period performances. Thank GOD. We can leave that to some of our more anal-retentive musicans. They will be sure to point out all the scholarly flaws a great pianist makes. LOL.

We'll see how many dry, pedantic, by-the-book pianists are remembered 50 years in the future, or what mark they make in the present. It's to the point that it's very easy to hear a Beethoven Sonata played, whether it's on cd, radio, dvd, whatever. It's the rare pianist that makes me want to actually perform a concert and hear their interpretation of Beethoven. I have passed up many pianist's performances where I live, because they bring very little to Beethoven anymore. Too many pianists are too scared to be brave and daring with Beethoven. He's almost an untoucheable monument today, and one's competence as a pianist is too often judged by how one adheres slavishly to the original score. Technical competence is not a reason to see someone perform on the piano, in my opinion. Watching a performing monkey gets old, very fast.

Last edited by Mattardo; 08/15/10 10:14 PM.
R
R
Sviatoslav Richter and Claudio Arrau are the best for the sonatas IMO.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mattardo

Busoni liked to take Bach and expand him to perform better on the modern piano, and what performances! Many of the greatest pianists who ever lived had nothing close to an urtext edition to work from, or even autographs to consult. How EVER did they manage to become world-famous? It appears they just had the talent and power to bring convincing and amazing performances, without having to spend their entire life consulting musty books as to proper, period performances.

Wonderful post, Mattardo. Thank-you for that.

I have long wondered -in my dreams- what performances of Beethoven by Busoni, d'Albert and yes, von Bulow must have been like. But you may care to check out Paul Lewis.

Just a thought?

Jason
R
R
Strangely enough, no mention here of Stephen Kovacevich's cycle which IMHO is outstanding. His tempos are typically quicker than most others but the articulation clean as a whistle and phrasing quite impeccable.

RichterForever
Yamaha C3, Yamaha CVP 405
D
D

-Jason

In 'Thoughts on Beethoven and the Piano Sonatas' included with Arrau's 1960s recording, Arrau writes :
'. . I am often asked about the question of repeats. When does one play or not play repeats in Beethoven? The answer is simple: one always plays repeats in Beethoven. From the very first sonata Beethoven was so eigenwillig,so selfwilled,
that he would not have put a repeat sign just to conform to the conventions of the time. He uses repeats always to strengthen and enhance the structure of a work. With Beethoven the sonata form with its built-in dramatic structure became the most total means of deepest personal expression. Therefore every repeat has its own meaning and importance.'

Music Teacher (Piano/Theory/Musicianship)
S
S
Wonderful! Your technique is really great. The piece just needs more feeling and musicality. Really exaggerate betweens the Forte's and the Piano's, and give the piece more fire and passion. Other than that, job well done.

Currently working on...
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu in C sharp minor Op.66
Mozart - Piano Sonata in E flat K.282
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Richter, Gulda, Arrau, and of course , Gilels!

Ah, the Golden Age of Pianists - tremendous pianists bringing unique and daring interpretations to the public. We have left that age and have now entered the Literal Age of Pianists, where the score is god and individuality is a dangerous thing when not applied strictly to tempo and dynamics. Every performance is expected to be 'authentic' - whatever the heck that might be! So many scholars and performers weighing in on how Beethoven would have played his sonatas in the past - never realizing that sometimes we want to hear how someone else will play his sonatas in the present.

Why choose one modern pianist over another? They frequently blend together, making a collective interpretation of Beethoven that is more dry and pedantic, than alive and moving. Great - the score has been mastered. If I want to hear a literal interpretation of the score, I can do that in my head. I'm more interested in hearing someone who is daring enough to play Beethoven in a manner that is surprising, alive and tells me something new about the piece. How often does this happen today? Hmmm....

It happened a lot in the past. The same pianists who shook the musical world with their outstanding performances are now usually scolded, insulted and dismissed by the dry scholars of today. Schnabel had some very strange ideas of how to treat measures and the emphasis accorded to them - but he's absolutely fascinating to listen to. Bulow had some odd ideas about how to interpret the Sonatas - but so many people forget that much of what he wrote was intended for the amateur at home, or the student - and they forget, or have never heard, his electrifying performances. Busoni liked to take Bach and expand him to perform better on the modern piano, and what performances! Many of the greatest pianists who ever lived had nothing close to an urtext edition to work from, or even autographs to consult. How EVER did they manage to become world-famous? It appears they just had the talent and power to bring convincing and amazing performances, without having to spend their entire life consulting musty books as to proper, period performances. Thank GOD. We can leave that to some of our more anal-retentive musicans. They will be sure to point out all the scholarly flaws a great pianist makes. LOL.

We'll see how many dry, pedantic, by-the-book pianists are remembered 50 years in the future, or what mark they make in the present. It's to the point that it's very easy to hear a Beethoven Sonata played, whether it's on cd, radio, dvd, whatever. It's the rare pianist that makes me want to actually perform a concert and hear their interpretation of Beethoven. I have passed up many pianist's performances where I live, because they bring very little to Beethoven anymore. Too many pianists are too scared to be brave and daring with Beethoven. He's almost an untoucheable monument today, and one's competence as a pianist is too often judged by how one adheres slavishly to the original score. Technical competence is not a reason to see someone perform on the piano, in my opinion. Watching a performing monkey gets old, very fast.

Basically I disagree with almost every sentence. A few points:

1. Not sure when you think the Golden Age of Pianists ended. If you think it ended before 1950, then many of the pianists on the list I recently posted of the top 100 pianists of the 20th century were playing after that date.

2. You seem to rate Schnabel highly yet he certainly was interested in following the score as written by the composer. Richter went so far as to claim there was no such thing as interpretation(an exaggerated way of expressing his views)because everything was in the score. Most of the pianists considered great Beethoven players(see people mentioned so far in this thread) followed the score reasonably closely even as far back as Han von Bulow. I think the idea of the Golden Age of Pianism style of piano playing applies more to the interpreation of Romantic music.

3. What one person calls "individuality/originality" is another person's example of "the pianist putting himself before the composer".

4. I don't think some of the Golden Age pianists like Friedman or Busoni are "scolded or dismissed" by most pianists of today. In fact, I think these pianists are generally highly revered. Although few pianists add notes to original works a la Busoni, Bach transcriptions by Busoni and others are reasonably popular.

5. I once posted a Youtube clip of 10 different pianists, most of them from later than 1950, all playing just the opening solo measures of the Beethoven' PC #4. Every one was highly different and interesting. IMO there is no inconsistency with following the score but playing in a most interesting, individual, and beautiful way.

6. Consider some recent winners of the Chopin competition: Argerich, Ohlsson, Yundi Li, Pollini, Zimerman, Blechaz. I would say most/all of these pianists play in the modern style but most people find their playing far from "boring, dry, and pedantic". Do you?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 07:40 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So, basically - you show that there are exceptions to everything. Ok.
1- I don't know what my reference to the Golden Age of Pianists has to do with other threads, but let's try to make the match - I'm interested in the pianists who comprised it, not the actual years. So perhaps you agree with me more than you realize.
2- I said what I had to say about Schnabel in my post - don't twist it, if you're not familiar with my reference, please. Schnabel would be ripped to schreds today for some of the liberties he took with Beethoven. Richter is an example of treating the score as the ultimate oracle of the composer - it's exactly what I don't agree with. I'm not sure why you bring his personal, highly-subjective opinion into it, as if one opinion can dismiss another opinion. The Golden Age Pianists played classical music romantically, if you would like - they didn't limit themselves to romantic music. BIG difference there.
3- Very good point, there. Not definitive, but a good opinion.
4- Again, you show a few exceptions. It does not dismiss the current attitude to older pianists.
5- Following the score, following the score. Perhaps you're not getting what my post is pointing at. Of course, many modern pianists can play slightly different from each other. That doesn't mean one must stop there, and resignedly say "there, see how slightly different I can be" such as you are saying.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

6. Consider some recent winners of the Chopin competition: Argerich, Ohlsson, Yundi Li, Pollini, Zimerman, Blechaz. I would say most/all of these pianists play in the modern style but most people find their playing far from "boring, dry, and pedantic". Do you?

Are you talking about their Beethoven interpretations?
Or their playing in general?

1- I don't know what my reference to the Golden Age of Pianists has to do with other threads, but let's try to make the match - I'm interested in the pianists who comprised it, not the actual years. So perhaps you agree with me more than you realize.
2- I said what I had to say about Schnabel in my post - don't twist it, if you're not familiar with my reference, please. Schnabel would be ripped to schreds today for some of the liberties he took with Beethoven. Richter is an example of treating the score as the ultimate oracle of the composer - it's exactly what I don't agree with. I'm not sure why you bring his personal, highly-subjective opinion into it, as if one opinion can dismiss another opinion. The Golden Age Pianists played classical music romantically, if you would like - they didn't limit themselves to romantic music. BIG difference there.
4- Again, you show a few exceptions. It does not dismiss the current attitude to older pianists.
5- Following the score, following the score. Perhaps you're not getting what my post is pointing at. Of course, many modern pianists can play slightly different from each other. That doesn't mean one must stop there, and resignedly say "there, see how slightly different I can be" such as you are saying.

1. My point was not that many(around 1/3 IMO) of the pianists on that list are pianists from the "Golden Age"(for me, 1900-1940 very approximately). Here is the list:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...anists%20rank%20the%20g.html#Post1484148

The Golden Age of pianists must refer to a time period in music history. What period do you consider the Golden Age?

2. Do you agree that Schnabel was important in developing the idea that faithfulness the score was important? I gave the example of Richter becuase he is almost universally acknowledged as one of the greatest pianists ever. He is certainly not the only very great pianist who puts the composer's score before himself. And he is usually not considered boring or pedantic for doing so.

4. I could add lots of others: Cortot, Hoffman, Rachmaninov etc.

5. One person's "slightly different" is another person's significantly different. I don't think the examples in the video are only slightly different even though they're taken from just a short phrase. I don't think a pianist X think "I have to play this at least a little different from pianist Y" or "I better do something more "original" because my interpretation is not different enough from Pianist X"."
'

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 10:32 AM.

In general.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
My current favorites are Russell Sherman and Andras Schiff.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the latter because until recently, I always found his Beethoven sonatas to be the least prepared of all the pieces on his programs.

And I find the former to be really colorful and imaginative.

But yet, I only recommend Schnabel, Brendel, Goode and sometimes Kempff and Serkin to my students.

Piano instruction and performance
M
M
So Pianoloverus, who's your favourite 19th century pianist/conductor known for his massive recitals, playing from memory, his almost revolutionary conducting, his extensive musical knowledge, his association with Liszt, his sharply witty tongue, and for dying in 1894?

Is it Rubinstein? It's Rubinstein, isn't it? It must be Rubinstein.

Originally Posted by mr_roberts_z
So Pianoloverus, who's your favourite 19th century pianist/conductor known for his massive recitals, playing from memory, his almost revolutionary conducting, his extensive musical knowledge, his association with Liszt, his sharply witty tongue, and for dying in 1894?

Is it Rubinstein? It's Rubinstein, isn't it? It must be Rubinstein.
How did you know?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Friedrich Gulda for Op 2/1, 27/2 (Moonlight), 53 (Waldstein), 57(Appassionata), 106, 109

Andras Schiff for the rest.

Those are my personal favorites.

Also ofcourse Schnabel, Gilels, Arrau etc.

I am however really not fond of players like Barenboim (who I do however have very much respect for!) as they play Beethoven like he was from the romantic era (alot of rubato and some additions/retractions from the composition).

Last edited by Victor25; 08/16/10 10:54 AM.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

1. My point was not that many(around 1/3 IMO) of the pianists on that list are pianists from the "Golden Age"(for me, 1900-1940 very approximately). Here is the list:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...anists%20rank%20the%20g.html#Post1484148

The Golden Age of pianists must refer to a time period in music history. What period do you consider the Golden Age?

2. Do you agree that Schnabel was important in developing the idea that faithfulness the score was important? I gave the example of Richter becuase he is almost universally acknowledged as one of the greatest pianists ever. He is certainly not the only very great pianist who puts the composer's score before himself. And he is usually not considered boring or pedantic for doing so.

4. I could add lots of others: Cortot, Hoffman, Rachmaninov etc.

5. One person's "slightly different" is another person's significantly different. I don't think the examples in the video are only slightly different even though they're taken from just a short phrase. I don't think a pianist X think "I have to play this at least a little different from pianist Y" or "I better do something more "original" because my interpretation is not different enough from Pianist X"."
'

1- Ah, ok - that's the BBC Music's list. You'll have to forgive me if I don't much stock in a list comprised by a magazine, culled from select pianists using a voting system. It's very subjective, and I really didn't pay that much attention to it, to be honest with you. There are some pianists on there that are commonly thought to be Golden Age pianists, true, but not all of them.
Another list would be comprised of:
Camille Saint-Saëns
Vladimir de Pachmann
Teresa Carreño
Ignace Paderewski
Moriz Rosenthal
Ferruccio Busoni
Leopold Godowsky
Sergei Rachmaninov
Harold Bauer
Josef Lhevinne
Josef Hofmann
Alfred Cortot
Ossip Gabrilowitsch
Mark Hambourg
Wanda Landowska
Artur Schnabel
Percy Grainger
Wilhelm Backhaus
Ethel Leginska
Artur Rubinstein
Benno Moiseiwitsch
Myra Hess
Walter Gieseking
Vladimir Horowitz
Dinu Lipatti

You mention that you consider the Golden Age as referring to 1900-1940. I have also seen it listed as 1900-1950. I have the dvd The Golden Age of the Piano - but I do not consider some of the pianists in there part of the "Golden Age" - pianists such as Serkin, Gould, Cliburn, Arrau may be fine pianists, but I wouldn't include them in a listing of Golden Age Pianists.
Is there such a concrete thing as the "Golden Age"? Probably, but I don't think it's limited to a specific time period. I would include Liszt among them, and many of his contemporaries, for example.
So you may see, now, why I consider the time period irrevelant - I know, a paradox - and the pianists more important. I'm just not that interested in debating the time period. Not one bit. My original point had everything to do with pianists embodying a 'golden age' of piano-playing, regardless of the time period. It would probably be safe to say that very few pianists, if any, living today and actively performing could be said to belong to a Golden Age of Piano - again, the time period doesn't matter - I do not wish to be pedantic about it (so it's futile to say "well, of course the golden age of the piano is over - 1900-1950, so modern pianists cannot be part of that etc, etc". The shame of it all is that the Golden Age hasn't been extended.

2- I think Schnabel was a great influence on how we view music scores today, but I also think he was the exact opposite: he embodied both ideas, paradoxically. How many other pianists sound like Schnabel when they play Beethoven? If they do, are they imitating Schnabel, or imitating Schnabel's 'faitfulness' to the score? If you have time, check out Konrad Wolff's book The Teaching Of Artur Schnabel, A Guide To His Interpretation. He was a student of Schnabel's and points out many of the strange, unorthodox, interprative principles he applied to Beethoven. A very good book, and it can help illuminate some of the principles that we hear in Schnabel's recordings and we wonder "interesting, why did he do that". The book also speaks about non-Beethoven interpretation. Suffice it to say, Schnabel varied from the written score wildly sometimes, and even formulates rules for doing so. I'm not talking strictly about hitting the right notes, either.
It just seems pointless for me to reproduce all the facets of Schnabel's playing style that would be considered unacceptable today by modern pedants, when it's clearly available from his recordings, critical writings, and his own words. My entire point about Schnabel was that he was a great Beethoven player, and was considered THE definitive player for a long time, even when he was at odds with the score. This cannot be denied, not matter what influence he has had subsequently on how we treat the score.

You may feel Richter is not boring for doing 'putting the score before himself", but many find him insipid and predictable. In the end, a musical score is just a very, very inexact written means of expressing musical ideas that cannot be expressed on paper very well. Ask any composer how many compromises they have had to make when writing their ideas down on paper, how difficult it is to try to explain themselves musically on paper. It can never be done, no matter how hard they try. Even Beethoven became fed up with trying to express certain moods and tempos using certain written methods, among other ideas. I just do not understand how some people feel that a score contains all there is to know about a piece of music: it's impossible.

4- I never said all of the pianists are scolded and criticized. More examples do not change what I said. I understand your point, but what I said still stands. I was not trying to group all those "golden age" pianists under critical fire en masse.

5- Variations in opening phrases do not make a musical performance worth listening to. I suppose, however they change that opening phrase, there's a reason why many people look back at the pianists of years gone by (whatever name you want to give them) and regret that they have passed, and bemoan the idea that musical scholarship now influences most performing pianists more than musical feelings. With the advent of tape-splicing and studio-editing, many of us wish that recordings had more to offer than a technically precise and flawless performance - that's a given! Sometimes they do, of course, but very rarely as musically impressive as pianists long dead and gone.

The sanctity of the score has made pianists boring, in my opinion. Times have changed.
Personally, I think the availability of urtext editions and fascimile-autographs are great! But, I feel they are a first step into informing one of a composer's ideas and a helpful aid in reaching a personal interpretation of a piece, not a brick wall to smash one's own feelings into, not a dogmatic idea that can never be questioned.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

In general.

Ah, I'll reserve my judgement on their general playing, since this is a Beethoven thread.
I'm no expert on these pianist's complete output, so I cannot comment.

As for Beethoven, a few thoughts on some of these pianists - the ones whose Beethoven I can actually remember:
Argerich should stay away from him, in my opinion.
Pollini - I think I listened to his concerto renditions. Some interesting ideas in there, some mundane ones. It's been a long time, but I felt I enjoyed some of them, but not all of them.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

An interesting movie I saw last night suggests that an idea is more likely to take hold if it is associated with positive emotion or catharsis. When I saw that scene I thought of this thread and laughed. Anyway... moving along...

I'm very much on the side of judging opinions and ideas purely on their merit, rather than who holds them. Beethoven once was emphatic that his Ninth Symphony should last no longer than 45 minutes. Well, that's just crap. Forget grains of sand, forget relative musical qualifications, forget what a great man Beethoven was: crap is crap. He was thinking the music too fast in his head, and/or forgot about repeats, and/or was mathematically challenged. Benjamin Zander follows Beethoven's metronome marks faithfully and clocks in at around 57 minutes. 45 minutes is ridiculous, end of story.

Smart/talented people can make huge mistakes. For example, perhaps Bülow found himself so emotionally drained at a certain point in the Appassionata that he couldn't believe anyone would really want to take the repeat, and then turned his highly subjective experience into a universal declaration of "inattention" on the part of Beethoven. Pointing out the silliness of such a declaration is not "arrogance" or "dismissing Bülow['s overall worth] as a musician" (obviously).

(Used to post as SlatterFan)

In general.

Ah, I'll reserve my judgement on their general playing, since this is a Beethoven thread.

As for Beethoven, a few thoughts on some of these pianists - the ones whose Beethoven I can actually remember:
Pollini - I think I listened to his concerto renditions. Some interesting ideas in there, some mundane ones. It's been a long time, but I felt I enjoyed some of them, but not all of them.
Anyone can have their opinion but you just criticized what many consider to be two of the most important pianists in the last twenty or thirty years. One doesn't win the Chopin Competition or receive the acclaim these pianists have by being generally mundane, boing etc.

This was a Beethoven thread but then you brought up the idea of the Golden Age of Pianists which by definition refers to some time period in piano playing(the exact years are not relevant).

Argerich is a woman not a "him".

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 03:40 PM.
Originally Posted by Mattrdo
You'll have to forgive me if I don't much stock in a list comprised by a magazine, culled from select pianists using a voting system. It's very subjective, and I really didn't pay that much attention to it, to be honest with you. There are some pianists on there that are commonly thought to be Golden Age pianists, true, but not all of them.
I never claimed the list I mentioned was perfect or correct, but certainly a list composed by polling top pianists has some merit. My point was simply that the majority of pianists on the list of the 20 greatest weren't Golden Age pianists. If you want to just dismiss the list, I think the next question should be how your musical resume compares to any of the pianists polled. I think one's opinion is only as good as one's knowlege, skill, experience, etc.

4- I never said all of the pianists are scolded and criticized. More examples do not change what I said. I understand your point, but what I said still stands. I was not trying to group all those "golden age" pianists under critical fire en masse.
You gave a long list which was composed almost completely of Golden Age pianists by most people's definition. And the huge majority of the pianists on your list are held in very high esteem today. So your own listed seems to disprove your statement.

5- Variations in opening phrases do not make a musical performance worth listening to. .

The sanctity of the score has made pianists boring, in my opinion. Times have changed.
Personally, I think the availability of urtext editions and fascimile-autographs are great! But, I feel they are a first step into informing one of a composer's ideas and a helpful aid in reaching a personal interpretation of a piece, not a brick wall to smash one's own feelings into, not a dogmatic idea that can never be questioned.
The video I mentioned showed about ten pianists many not from the Golden Age. The point of the video and my comment was that there can be great variety and originality from pianists who don't put themselves before the score even within such a small passage as the opening few bars.

I don't think even one of the many great pianists of the last 50 years use the score as "a brick wall to smash one's own feelings into". And I think quite a few of pianists on your own list played pretty much straight from the score. Rubinstein would be a prime example.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 03:50 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The sanctity of the score has made pianists boring, in my opinion.
An opinion I do not share.
Times have changed.
Yes they have.
Personally, I think the availability of urtext editions and fascimile-autographs are great!
So do I.
But, I feel they are a first step into informing one of a composer's ideas and a helpful aid in reaching a personal interpretation of a piece,
Of course.
not a brick wall to smash one's own feelings into,
Interesting imagery! I suspect Beethoven would approve of his musical scores sometimes challenging musicians hard, seriously hard, hard as a brick wall. Other composers also, especially more recent ones. (Not that I relate to such an approach.)
not a dogmatic idea that can never be questioned.
Now there's the rub. Where does one draw the line between bending and breaking? Here's an analogy for you; the scene is an acting workshop and within a scene the author has asked for "Take 3-4 cookies out of the jar and eat them."

We watch several different actors with very different ways of taking and eating 3-4 cookies; all quite individual interpretations in the context of the overall scene. Suddenly a guy comes along and smashes open the jar and scoffs 6 cookies really quickly.

Audience member: "Yes, that's more like it! The others were so boring in their literal reading of the text but this guy actually has the daring to go beyond. Don't you just love the raw energy and the feeling of hunger he conveys as he scoffs those 6 cookies?"

Me: [facepalm] "You have got to be kidding!"

Originally Posted by SlatterFan

I'm very much on the side of judging opinions and ideas purely on their merit, rather than who holds them.
I think the merit of an opinion is almost always directly proprotional to the musical knowledge, skill, and experience of the person who holds it. I think your example about Beethoven mistiming the duration of the 9th Symphony is quite silly. As you said, maybe his arithmetic was bad. He new what tempo he wanted if he gave a metronome indications.

Originally Posted by Slatterfan
Smart/talented people can make huge mistakes. For example, perhaps Bülow found himself so emotionally drained at a certain point in the Appassionata that he couldn't believe anyone would really want to take the repeat, and then turned his highly subjective experience into a universal declaration of "inattention" on the part of Beethoven. Pointing out the silliness of such a declaration is not "arrogance" or "dismissing Bülow['s overall worth] as a musician" (obviously).
I already mentioned that it wasn't the questioning the correctness of von Bulow's statement that bothered me, but the tone I felt the criticizing was done with. And I've already given some reasons similar to what you said about why von Bulow might have made the statement he did. As far as "dismissing von Bulow's overall worth as a musician", that was a statement stores made about VB based on his thoughts about the scholarship in Bulow's edition of the Beethoven Sonatas.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 03:53 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

2. Do you agree that Schnabel was important in developing the idea that faithfulness the score was important?

Absolutely not.

♪ ≠ $

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm very much on the side of judging opinions and ideas purely on their merit, rather than who holds them.
I think the merit of an opinion is almost always directly proprotional to the musical knowledge, skill, and experience of the person who holds it.

In general I agree. Are you willing to acknowledge the exceptions where they occur? Are you willing to consider an opinion purely on its own merits, without factoring in the author? Someone quoted an opinion on the Appassionata that was striking precisely because it was exceptional; it seemed a huge misjudgement. To some of us, who made the actual comment is irrelevant. What mattered, until you made Bülow the issue, was the content of his opinion.

I already mentioned that it wasn't the questioning the correctness of von Bulow's statement that bothered me, but the tone I felt the criticizing was done with.

I am not insensitive to that, but please realize that from one perspective, an opinion was dismissed as nutty, and that was all. Perhaps we should auto-include the following disclaimer at the top of all posts: "Not only is the content of the following post my opinion and not a statement of fact unless otherwise stated, but if I appear to be dismissive or sarcastic towards the opinions of anyone who is held in high regard in the classical music community, past or present, I am not in any way impugning the overall qualities of the highly regarded person, I am only disagreeing with said highly regarded person on the matters specifically referred to in my post."

And I've already given some reasons similar to what you said about why von Bulow might have made the statement he did.

Yes, I noticed. You should be able to understand that it is possible to mock an outlandish statement without it having to represent a terrible smear against the person making the statement. It seems pretty obvious to me that you reacted in a sensitive way because you had Bülow fresh in your mind from reading Walker's book. (That isn't a criticism, just an observation.)

As far as "dismissing von Bulow's overall worth as a musician", that was a statement stores made about VB based on his thoughts about the scholarship in Bulow's edition of the Beethoven Sonatas.

Yes, I do recall who said what. Stores made his statement after you had already "radically derailed" the discussion and made it personal, all about Bülow's eminence and reputation, rather than his one very particular outlandish opinion about a particular sonata.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ahhh, now my good post got cluttered in all this crap :p.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Von Bulow was held in incredibly high esteem by Liszt, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, and R. Srrauss but I guess not by stores.

Wagner was held in high esteem (and still is) by many great musicians, but he has no place with me at all. Beethoven saw Handel as the greatest composer and I happen not to agree with him. Chopin didn't think too highly of much of Schumann's oeuvre and in some instances I think he's completely wrong. Some of my pianistic idols adore(d) Schoenberg...I think they're nuts.

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Where did you read that Beethoven saw Handel as the greatest composer?? I have never read anything like that, I do know he held Mozart and later Bach in very high regard.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Victor25
Where did you read that Beethoven saw Handel as the greatest composer?? I have never read anything like that, I do know he held Mozart and later Bach in very high regard.

It's fairly well known. In fact he was once quoted as saying: "Handel was the greatest composer that ever lived. I would uncover my head, and kneel before his tomb." He also wrote out many parts of The Messiah (which I believe are stored at the Beethovenhaus).

♪ ≠ $

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
haha Victor25 i read your post and i shall investigate the recordings of Schiff!

as to the rest of this topic: there are some mighty long comments here!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Andras Schiff for the rest.

I do love Schiff, and had the fortune of hearing him play the complete cycle here over the course of two seasons. I have nothing but the highest respect for him and for the scholarship he brings to the table, but don't always agree with him completely. His recordings are well worth a listen, however.

♪ ≠ $

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
how i would love to hear such great pianists live. but i seldom have the money frown

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
how i would love to hear such great pianists live. but i seldom have the money frown

I'm sorry to hear that. Concerts do tend to be expensive. I'm curious...why do you feel sorry for Schumann?

♪ ≠ $

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
because he appeared to have a very upsetting life which i used to relate to until i found peace (almost).

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bplary1300
I'm hooked on Barenboim's Op.109 now though..

Yes! the no.30 is one of my most favourite pieces! i remember as soon as i heard the opening bars before collapsing into that beautiful slow section i was so blown away that the very next morning i travelled halfway across Essex to buy the sheet music merely to learn the first movement! although now the rest of the piece has grown on me i will one day learn it all...

gilels
kempff
heidsieck
goode
f. gulda
eschenbach
brautigam

(i have the feeling that once i have heard all their renditions i will know the sonatas better than even Beethoven!)
good of you to name Heidsieck, I like his recordings, that's why I have them, but to mention just a somewhat outstanding rendering of op. 106: Andrea Lucchesini, where is he?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
because he appeared to have a very upsetting life which i used to relate to until i found peace (almost).

That he did. I would think you might well identify with Beethoven, also, and for the same reasons.

♪ ≠ $

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
yes but i'm not as mean as Beethoven was! haha but im sure he didn't intend to be so. i was more like a cross between Beethoven's anger for everyone, Schumann's depression and Liszt's generosity! now i'm more just Liszt's generosity but still struggling with Schumann a bit! wow, how metaphorical!!

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
and confusing which tends to be the problem

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
when one would cross B.'s anger with S.'s depressions and L.'s generosity, who would come out of thar blend I'm curious to know...Mahler, no, or maybe just: yes?

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
haha possibly! or maybe just a very messed up me without the talent of composition!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
sounds like Rott, that is Hans, poor man...could also be Wolff, that is Hugo, also not so happy, smile

M
M

It's fairly well known. In fact he was once quoted as saying: "Handel was the greatest composer that ever lived. I would uncover my head, and kneel before his tomb." He also wrote out many parts of The Messiah (which I believe are stored at the Beethovenhaus).

When Beethoven was on his deathbed, someone brought him a portrait of Handel as a gift, knowing how much he adored Handel. However, there was a misspelling; Handel's name was spelled Handle. When Beethoven saw that he got so enraged that he threw the entire portrait across the room.

Here's
a page of Beethoven's Messiah copying.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
just for stupid argument's sake, look up what Tchaikovsky thought about dear old Georg Friedrich...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

In general.

Anyone can have their opinion but you just criticized what many consider to be two of the most important pianists in the last twenty or thirty years. One doesn't win the Chopin Competition or receive the acclaim these pianists have by being generally mundane, boing etc.

This was a Beethoven thread but then you brought up the idea of the Golden Age of Pianists which by definition refers to some time period in piano playing(the exact years are not relevant).

Argerich is a woman not a "him".

I know what sex Argerich is and how to properly denote that in writing, if it's applicable. I said: "Argerich should stay away from him [Beethoven]". I believe I made it very clear I would discuss how I felt about their Beethoven interpretation.

Apart from that - it's not a crime to criticize concert pianists. I gave my opinions on them merely because you asked. Sure, I'm not a concert pianist who had published major scholarly works - but you already knew that before you asked, I reckon.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

When Beethoven was on his deathbed, someone brought him a portrait of Handel as a gift, knowing how much he adored Handel. However, there was a misspelling; Handel's name was spelled Handle. When Beethoven saw that he got so enraged that he threw the entire portrait across the room.

Here's

I've not ever heard the Handel portrait anecdote (nor am I sure any Handel portrait was part of B's estate), but it is a fact that on his deathbed he was given an engraving depicting Haydn's birthplace, on which Haydn's name was spelled Hayden. Beethoven was angry about the misspelling, but loved the picture and was amused that so great a man should have such humble beginnings.

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattrdo
You'll have to forgive me if I don't much stock in a list comprised by a magazine, culled from select pianists using a voting system. It's very subjective, and I really didn't pay that much attention to it, to be honest with you. There are some pianists on there that are commonly thought to be Golden Age pianists, true, but not all of them.
I never claimed the list I mentioned was perfect or correct, but certainly a list composed by polling top pianists has some merit. My point was simply that the majority of pianists on the list of the 20 greatest weren't Golden Age pianists. If you want to just dismiss the list, I think the next question should be how your musical resume compares to any of the pianists polled. I think one's opinion is only as good as one's knowlege, skill, experience, etc.

You gave a long list which was composed almost completely of Golden Age pianists by most people's definition. And the huge majority of the pianists on your list are held in very high esteem today. So your own listed seems to disprove your statement.

5- Variations in opening phrases do not make a musical performance worth listening to. .

The video I mentioned showed about ten pianists many not from the Golden Age. The point of the video and my comment was that there can be great variety and originality from pianists who don't put themselves before the score even within such a small passage as the opening few bars.

I don't think even one of the many great pianists of the last 50 years use the score as "a brick wall to smash one's own feelings into". And I think quite a few of pianists on your own list played pretty much straight from the score. Rubinstein would be a prime example.

Pianoloverus - do you realize that most of your arguments devolve into "who do you think you are?"
You constantly debate in the forums, and as a last resort you resign yourself to the old and tired idea that whoever you are speaking with is not a professional 'whatever' and that this invalidates all their points. It doesn't matter WHAT their points are, it's enough for you to know that they must not be valid because of where they are coming from.

That is... hilarious. As usual - an argument from authority. I should have learned my lesson from the other times I've spoken with you lol. You hold authority figures in such a high esteem that it's madness to suggestion a lower creature might have a viable opinion or thought.

To be clear - just because a group of concert pianists make a list of those people they consider to be the greatest pianists, does not mean it's gospel truth. It only means one thing: the list they have made represents the pianists they feel were the greatest. That's it. End of story. Very simple. It's their opinion on the matter, and we can take it or leave it.
The mere fact that they are pianists themselves of high standing, only means that they are pianists of high standing. It doesn't mean they are also 'judges of the greatest pianists' or 'purveyors of all musical knowledge'. You are putting way too much onto some of these people.

My list proves nothing - it was an example from the web. As I clearly pointed out many times in my posts, the pianists I was talking about were not only from this list. Are you even reading my posts? Please, don't try to tell me what I wrote, when it's easy to look at it again.

Let's hear Rubinstein play some Albeniz, since you're so certain...

Please, read my posts again if you're going to quote them. It would save a lot of time.

Slatterfan:To respond basically to all your comments...I think it's about the tone of the criticism, particularly when directed towards someone of von Bulow's stature. One shouldn't include a disclaimer at the beginning of posts. One should express their opinion in such an way that a disclaimer is unnecessary.

I think one should always consider the source of a statement one wants to criticize. In fact, in terms of von Bulow's statement about the Appassionata, I think a more appropriate reaction might have been...I've never thought of that and I wonder why von Bulow said it....it seems wrong, but considering who said it, maybe it's even correct.

I think PW has a fairly small group of mostly(or perhaps exclusively) non professional pianists who are all to ready to criticize in an arrogant and inappropriate way not just some minor professional pianist, but some of the most important musicians/pianists in history.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 07:37 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The sanctity of the score has made pianists boring, in my opinion.
An opinion I do not share.
Times have changed.
Yes they have.
Personally, I think the availability of urtext editions and fascimile-autographs are great!
So do I.
But, I feel they are a first step into informing one of a composer's ideas and a helpful aid in reaching a personal interpretation of a piece,
Of course.
not a brick wall to smash one's own feelings into,
Interesting imagery! I suspect Beethoven would approve of his musical scores sometimes challenging musicians hard, seriously hard, hard as a brick wall. Other composers also, especially more recent ones. (Not that I relate to such an approach.)
not a dogmatic idea that can never be questioned.
Now there's the rub. Where does one draw the line between bending and breaking? Here's an analogy for you; the scene is an acting workshop and within a scene the author has asked for "Take 3-4 cookies out of the jar and eat them."

We watch several different actors with very different ways of taking and eating 3-4 cookies; all quite individual interpretations in the context of the overall scene. Suddenly a guy comes along and smashes open the jar and scoffs 6 cookies really quickly.

Audience member: "Yes, that's more like it! The others were so boring in their literal reading of the text but this guy actually has the daring to go beyond. Don't you just love the raw energy and the feeling of hunger he conveys as he scoffs those 6 cookies?"

Me: [facepalm] "You have got to be kidding!"

Nice analogy - but a little extreme.

It's also quite possible that the composer was waiting for the guy who would take 6 cookies, and was wondering what the heck was wrong with the other guys who were too timid to understand what was wanted. Perhaps they read the sign "take 4 cookies" and were satisfied with eating those 4 cookies for the rest of their lives.

Anyways, the analogy is extreme. I'm not advocating smashing things just for the heck of it. I hope you don't think that's my point. It must, of course, make musical sense.

In the end - the score is simply a score. It's not the music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If we all tiptoed around authority figures, never daring to question them, and just accepting their pronouncements - we wouldn't even be discussing Beethoven right now, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, this thread is turning into a repeat of other threads.

I would much rather get back to hearing what Pianists are worth hearing their Beethoven, and why.

Last edited by Mattardo; 08/16/10 07:04 PM.

Pianoloverus - do you realize that most of your arguments devolve into "who do you think you are?"You constantly debate in the forums, and as a last resort you resign yourself to the old and tired idea that whoever you are speaking with is not a professional 'whatever' and that this invalidates all their points. It doesn't matter WHAT their points are, it's enough for you to know that they must not be valid because of where they are coming from.

That is... hilarious. As usual - an argument from authority.
My "who do you think you are" approach comes only when those with tiny resumes(or no resumes at all) not just criticize major pianists/musicians(which I've said countless times is fine by me) but do so in an inappropriate and arrogant way.

An "argument from authority" as I understand the term is when someone gives undue weight to the opinion of an "authority" who has no right to be called an authority. Not the case here.

Wiki says:
"There is no fallacy involved in simply arguing that the assertion made by an authority is true. The fallacy only arises when it is claimed or implied that the authority is infallible in principle and can hence be exempted from criticism."

Skepticalwiki says:
"In general, a rational person will treat the opinion of acknowledged experts with a certain degree of respect. However, in many cases, the opinions presented as expert are nothing of the sort. For example, an actor, even one who plays a doctor, is not typically an expert on medicine and has no special knowledge about the effectiveness of medicines. In order to be an authority, a person must usually have special knowledge, training, or experience, not merely glamour, prestige, and fame."

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 07:33 PM.
M
M

Here's

I've not ever heard the Handel portrait anecdote (nor am I sure any Handel portrait was part of B's estate), but it is a fact that on his deathbed he was given an engraving depicting Haydn's birthplace, on which Haydn's name was spelled Hayden. Beethoven was angry about the misspelling, but loved the picture and was amused that so great a man should have such humble beginnings.

Wow. You're absolutely right; I'm not sure how I managed to screw that up so much.

I'm remembering now; Diabelli brought the engraving to Beethoven as a gift, who asked Breuning's father to frame it, who appointed Breuning's teacher to do so, who added the title (with the misspelling) in the bottom margin. Catching the error, they assumed Beethoven wouldn't notice it, and when he didn't, the young Breuning pointed it out to him, causing him to fly into a rage and roar that he would've eventually noticed it anyway. When they erased it and brought it back, Beethoven was still grumbling about it.

Good times.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Pianoloverus - do you realize that most of your arguments devolve into "who do you think you are?"You constantly debate in the forums, and as a last resort you resign yourself to the old and tired idea that whoever you are speaking with is not a professional 'whatever' and that this invalidates all their points. It doesn't matter WHAT their points are, it's enough for you to know that they must not be valid because of where they are coming from.

My "who do you think you are" approach comes only when those with tiny resumes(or no resumes at all) not just criticize major pianists/musicians(which I've said countless times is fine by me) but do so in an inappropriate and arrogant way.

An "argument from authority" as I understand the term is when someone gives undue weight to the opinion of an "authority" who has no right to be called an authority. Not the case here.

Wiki says:
"There is no fallacy involved in simply arguing that the assertion made by an authority is true. The fallacy only arises when it is claimed or implied that the authority is infallible in principle and can hence be exempted from criticism."

Skepticalwiki says:
"In general, a rational person will treat the opinion of acknowledged experts with a certain degree of respect. However, in many cases, the opinions presented as expert are nothing of the sort. For example, an actor, even one who plays a doctor, is not typically an expert on medicine and has no special knowledge about the effectiveness of medicines. In order to be an authority, a person must usually have special knowledge, training, or experience, not merely glamour, prestige, and fame."

Your understanding of an Argument From Authority is incorrect and should be ammended to meet the commonly-agreed-upon definition. Here is a good summation:
"Appeal to authority is a fallacy of defective induction, where it is argued that a statement is correct because the statement is made by a person or source that is commonly regarded as authoritative."

The whole point is that the appeal is made conerning someone who IS considered an authority - I'm not sure why you are claiming that this fallacy applies only to someone "who has no right to be called an authority". That is not the case at all.

Perhaps this is why you fail to realize that you're engaging in this fallacy quite frequently.
You're basically dismissing all opinions on a subject if they disagree with an authority figure's opinions on the same subject. Never do you provide evidence for WHY this authority figure should have the final say on this particular opinion. You just claim that because he is an authority figure, that's good enough for you and should be good enough for everyone else. Well - this is an Argument From Authority, no matter how you understand the definition. Job was familiar with this when one of his friends, upon learning that Job simply wanted an answer to why he was being punished by Yahweh, told him that he should not question Yahweh - comparing him to a prince. And one never questions princes, does one? It's not our place, and princes are always right - even when they are not. This type of thinking leads to hero-worship, blind adulation, and dogmatism.

Your opinion of what constitutes an arrogant or innapropriate manner when dealing with authority figures is just that - your personal opinion. You cannot expect others to share the same awe you appear to have when facing a well-known authority figure. Dismissing their criticisms because of their tone does absolutely nothing except show that you are offended by such criticism.
The criticism will stand on it's own merits, not how you receive it.

The same goes for claims made by authority figures - unless there is evidence backing their claims up, there is no reason to give their claims more importance than another man's. This is why scholarly works are riddled with footnotes and references - they realize full well that their work can NOT stand on their reputation alone, or it is only useful to their admirers.

Wiki says:

Skepticalwiki says:

Your understanding of an Argument From Authority is incorrect and should be ammended to meet the commonly-agreed-upon definition. Here is a good summation:
"Appeal to authority is a fallacy of defective induction, where it is argued that a statement is correct because the statement is made by a person or source that is commonly regarded as authoritative."

The whole point is that the appeal is made conerning someone who IS considered an authority - I'm not sure why you are claiming that this fallacy applies only to someone "who has no right to be called an authority". That is not the case at all.

Perhaps this is why you fail to realize that you're engaging in this fallacy quite frequently.
You're basically dismissing all opinions on a subject if they disagree with an authority figure's opinions on the same subject. Never do you provide evidence for WHY this authority figure should have the final say on this particular opinion. You just claim that because he is an authority figure, that's good enough for you and should be good enough for everyone else. Well - this is an Argument From Authority, no matter how you understand the definition. Job was familiar with this when one of his friends, upon learning that Job simply wanted an answer to why he was being punished by Yahweh, told him that he should not question Yahweh - comparing him to a prince. And one never questions princes, does one? It's not our place, and princes are always right - even when they are not. This type of thinking leads to hero-worship, blind adulation, and dogmatism.

Your opinion of what constitutes an arrogant or innapropriate manner when dealing with authority figures is just that - your personal opinion. You cannot expect others to share the same awe you appear to have when facing a well-known authority figure. Dismissing their criticisms because of their tone does absolutely nothing except show that you are offended by such criticism.

The same goes for claims made by authority figures - unless there is evidence backing their claims up, there is no reason to give their claims more importance than another man's. This is why scholarly works are riddled with footnotes and references - they realize full well that their work can NOT stand on their reputation alone, or it is only useful to their admirers.

The passages I quoted seem to agree with my thoughts about the meaning "argument
from authority". But the meaning of that phrase really is not relevant here at all. MY point has nothing to do with whether von Bulow was right or wrong.

The important single major point is that you've said many times(and in your most recent post) that I think von Bulow and people like him shouldn't be criticized or questioned, accusing me of hero worship, etc. Yet I said in my previous post and many others that this was not the case. What I object to is the tone of criticsm especailly when it is given by people with no resume. What you refuse to admit is your musical understanding/skill/accomplishments/experience/training/talent is microscopic compared to someone like von Bulow.

It's a simple question of respect and courtesy.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 09:26 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

It's quite laughable to simply assume that not a single member with an opinion (be it critical, or not) has any sort of "resume" to speak of. How, exactly, do you come to this conclusion? How do you decide whose critical argument is worth it's weight and whose is not? Let's see...if I were a major competition winner would my opinion/critique matter? Were I a recording/performing artist? Were I a critic? Were I a conservatory professor? Were I all of these things, or some of them, or none...
Do you honestly believe this forum consists solely of twits simply running their mouths in order to hear themselves speak?
By the way, would it be arrogant or inappropriate to criticize your arrogance?

♪ ≠ $

It's quite laughable to simply assume that not a single member with an opinion (be it critical, or not) has any sort of "resume" to speak of. How, exactly, do you come to this conclusion? How do you decide whose critical argument is worth it's weight and whose is not? Let's see...if I were a major competition winner would my opinion/critique matter? Were I a recording/performing artist? Were I a critic? Were I a conservatory professor? Were I all of these things, or some of them, or none...
Do you honestly believe this forum consists solely of twits simply running their mouths in order to hear themselves speak?
Tell us your resume and we can compare it to von Bulow's resume. Even if it includes everything you mentioned it would be quite small compared to von Bulow's.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 09:33 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just hopping aboard this thread.

But when I think Beethoven, if its not his image that pops in my head, its Kempff that does.

Kempff is one of my top favorite pianists of all time.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Wiki says:

Skepticalwiki says:

The passages I quoted seem to agree with my thoughts about the meaning "argument
from authority". But the meaning of that phrase really is not relevant here at all. MY point has nothing to do with whether von Bulow was right or wrong.

The important single major point is that you've said many times(and in your most recent post) that I think von Bulow and people like him shouldn't be criticized or questioned, accusing me of hero worship, etc. Yet I said in my previous post and many others that this was not the case. What I object to is the tone of criticsm especailly when it is given by people with no resume. What you refuse to admit is your musical understanding/skill/accomplishments/experience/training/talent is microscopic compared to someone like von Bulow.

Why would I admit to something you're assuming about me?
Microscopic in comparison?
If you have some free time, would you be gracious enough to show me where Middle C is?
No, wait - let's start out easy since my skill is microscopic in comparison to Bulow's - just help me find the piano first.

Just to be clear - I'm not claiming to be on a par with von Bulow, but I'm also not going to 'admit' my accomplisments are microscopic in comparison lol! Where did you get this graded scale, and just how are you applying it? Or has that recent biography you read so clouded your mind with visions of glory, that you cannot imagine anyone having a grain of talent next to Bulow's?

Wiki says:

Skepticalwiki says:

If you have some free time, would you be gracious enough to show me where Middle C is?
No, wait - let's start out easy since my skill is microscopic in comparison to Bulow's - just help me find the piano first.

Just to be clear - I'm not claiming to be on a par with von Bulow, but I'm also not going to 'admit' my accomplisments are microscopic in comparison lol! Where did you get this graded scale, and just how are you applying it? Or has that recent biography you read so clouded your mind with visions of glory, that you cannot imagine anyone having a grain of talent next to Bulow's?
I don't have to assume anything. You've already admitted you're not even a professional pianist.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/16/10 09:58 PM.

Not to underestimate any other posts (at all), but that's one of the most moving posts here.
It's sad.
I hope you will find opportunities from time to time, and that there might come a day when this won't be an issue anymore.

Please let the record show that it is false that the person who criticized Bulow's footnote has "no resume."
Or "a tiny one." ha

(I know very well that you're not the one who said it. You're on the 'good' side of the debate.) smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Wiki says:

Skepticalwiki says:

I don't have to assume anything. You've already admitted you're not even a professional pianist.

Ha - so not being a professional pianist is the evidence that someone's talent, etc is microscopic compared to Bulow's?
Careful, now, pianoloverus - that's exactly where your logic has lead you, amusingly enough. It's incredibly bad logic, but there it is.

Your very subjective opinion again betrays your reliance on the argument from authority and your very snobbish opinions. At least it has been entertaining!

E
E
I'll be honest, I haven't heard many interpretations of Beethovens Sonatas.
I have heard Kempff's Moonlight on Youtube and I have a CD with John Ogden playing 'Moonlight', 'Pathetique' and 'Appassionata'. Finally, I have a recording of Jean-Bernard Pommier playing all 32.

Of the three, I prefer Ogden's interpretations. It's just a shame I can't find any other recordings by him.

It's not a very good comparison, especially because the only Sonata I have heard played by all three is Moonlight.

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Friedrich Gulda for Op 2/1, 27/2 (Moonlight), 53 (Waldstein), 57(Appassionata), 106, 109

I very much like the Gulda set of the complete sonatas I have. It needs to be pointed out that there is more than one, though. The one I have is a reissue on CD of LPs made for the Amadeo label. It's on the Eloquence label, and besides the sonatas, also has the concertos. I got it from an German online store - it was a bargain, even with shipping to the US. The same performances, but without the concertos, was also released on Brilliant Classics.

I have heard some critics say they think this is the better of Gulda's recordings, but since I haven't heard the other ones, I can't say.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Tell us your resume and we can compare it to von Bulow's resume. Even if it includes everything you mentioned it would be quite small compared to von Bulow's.

Haha. A likely response. So my resume must be comparable to that of Bulow before I'm allowed to have an opinion about him (unless it's an opinion that matches yours).

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This thread is totally absurd, I really have to scroll trough all the crap to read the on-topic posts. Behave yourselves !! FGS!

Anyway, I didn't know that about Handel, I shall do my research, thanks smile.

And WR, the Brilliant Classics also had the Piano Concerto's played by Friedrich Gulda, and they are also very cheap, and like I said for some of the major works the best I have ever heard. The steady pulse and good (fast but not too fast) tempo by Gulda on the Appassionata, has made me almost immune to other interpretations, I do admit.

Last edited by Victor25; 08/17/10 07:03 AM.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

And WR, the Brilliant Classics also had the Piano Concerto's played by Friedrich Gulda, and they are also very cheap, and like I said for some of the major works the best I have ever heard. The steady pulse and good (fast but not too fast) tempo by Gulda on the Appassionata, has made me almost immune to other interpretations, I do admit.

You are right - Brilliant Classics does have the same Gulda performances of the concertos, but unlike the Eloquence, they are a separate set. The thing that surprised me was that, cheap as Brilliant Classics are, I could get the Eloquence set of the sonatas and concertos shipped to me from Germany for less than I could get the sonatas alone from Brilliant Classics, shipped from within the US. That was some time ago; don't know if it is still true.

Haha. A likely response. So my resume must be comparable to that of Bulow before I'm allowed to have an opinion about him (unless it's an opinion that matches yours).
No, that's not what I have said at all. I said that given von Bulow's stature in musical history as one of the great pianists/conductors:

1. Any criticism of him should be done in a appropiate tone that is not arroagant. This does not mean that one must treat von Bulow as infallible or indulge in hero worship. There is plenty of room between that approach and the the approach I find arrogantly dismissive.

2. #1 is even more to the point when the person doing the criticsm has a small(or even no)musical resume.

3. You were the one that implied your resume might really be less than small, but have given no evidence when I asked you.

4. I've said at least five times in this thread that my comments were not about someone's right to have an opinion.

5. I've also many times in this thread that my comments have nothing to do with the correctness of the von Bulow comments about the Appassionata.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/17/10 08:08 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
A modern conservatory professor specializing in Beethoven's works has knowledge that eclipses Bülow's. No matter how brilliant Bülow was, he would have had to abandon much of the activity in his resume and devote himself almost single-mindedly to a lifelong study of Beethoven to hope to acquire the knowledge that has been built up and taught in subsequent eras, and that modern conservatory students can almost take for granted. Even then, Bülow would have had very few people to bounce ideas off and to learn from, nor access to enough of the relevant material. It isn't a criticism of the man, it's just a simple observation of one of the natural consequences of being a pioneer at that time.

Beethoven's workbooks, sketches, manuscripts, and relevant correspondence with publishers and fellow musicians have been sifted and analysed multiple times by a variety of brilliant scholars over successive generations, spawning theories and ideas that have competed with each other and led to a gradually increased understanding of how Beethoven thought, worked, and developed his ideas. This includes deep analysis of how earlier and contemporary works influenced Beethoven, and how Beethoven influenced other contemporary and later musicians and composers, and what about his music was most striking/impressive to them.

We also need to take account of the dramatic development of both knowledge and technique among conservatory students and top amateurs nowadays: the fact that what would have been considered phenomenal for a student or amateur in Bülow's day would nowadays merit not much more than a polite, "Yeah, he/she is very good, I know quite a few other people who can play/improvize/compose that well too." What might have seemed reasonable advice about the Appassionata in the late 19th century, based on performing abilities prevalent at the time, has little if any relevance to today's audience.

Plus today we have an extraordinary availability of a variety of interpretations of classical music, including Beethoven, demonstrating what is possible musically/technically (or not), and what appears to work musically/technically (or not).

If one insists on playing a name-dropping and resume-dropping game about this, I believe some very distinguished and well-regarded musicians, including Beethoven specialists, have taught and guided our Mark_C over the years, including when he performed the Emperor Concerto. If that doesn't count for anything, I give up.

What might have seemed reasonable advice about the Appassionata in the late 19th century, based on performing abilities prevalent at the time, has little if any relevance to today's audience.
I said in my last post the discussion is not about the correctness of von Bulow's statement. I've also previously said that based on his repertoire, programs, and critical reviews von Bulow had a sensational technique. So it is not a question of performing abilities.

Originally Posted by Slatterfan
If one insists on playing a name-dropping and resume-dropping game about this, I believe some very distinguished and well-regarded musicians, including Beethoven specialists, have taught and guided our Mark_C over the years, including when he performed the Emperor Concerto. If that doesn't count for anything, I give up.
I'm playing the name respecting game not the name dropping game. Von Bulow was one of a small number of the most important and greatest pianists/conductors in the world for three or four decades. If you think Mark C or even any of his teachers fall anywhere near that description I would disagree.

Just to talk of the one piece you mentioned, I doubt that Mark has played the Emperor all over the world, with the world's greatest orchestras, and at least 20 times(von Bulow probably played it a lot more like 50 times since it was none of his main concertos). Being a big wheel at PW(which has mostly amateurs and a very tiny number of pros who post much) is not the same as being a big wheel in the entire history of classical music performance.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/17/10 11:19 AM.
Slatter: Very well said, and thank you for the personal mention.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm playing the name respecting game not the name dropping game. Von Bulow was one of a small number of the most important and greatest pianists/conductors in the world for three or four decades.

Does being a brilliant performer automatically translate into being a fine scholar, analyst, and editor? Is someone famous for his interpretations always able to step back to give wise performance suggestions that stand the test of time? It's quite possible to be a great musician but a mediocre editor. And I do not see why someone has to be all nicey-nice about an editor's writings, just because he was a talented performer.

If you think Mark C or even any of his teachers fall anywhere near that description I would disagree.

It isn't for me to repeat names I noticed in other threads, but it is safe to say that they have a lot more respect for their scholarship than Bülow does for his Beethoven edition. Not only that, but I venture to say that they have far more experience of teaching high level students playing Beethoven than Bülow did: there are simply far more high level students around nowadays. And that kind of experience is what helps one give sensible and objective advice, rather than that weird stuff Bülow wrote about the Appassionata.

Comparing the number of times someone has played Beethoven's masterworks around the world, and with which orchestras, is not relevant to what was brought up in this thread. The topic was some very strange advice in a Beethoven edition, casually critical of Beethoven, which just happened to be made by Bülow. That's it, and that's all. Performing Beethoven a lot, to great acclaim, does not qualify one to casually declare where Beethoven made mistakes and should have composed differently.

I'm playing the name respecting game not the name dropping game. Von Bulow was one of a small number of the most important and greatest pianists/conductors in the world for three or four decades.

Does being a brilliant performer automatically translate into being a fine scholar, analyst, and editor? Is someone famous for his interpretations always able to step back to give wise performance suggestions that stand the test of time? It's quite possible to be a great musician but a mediocre editor. And I do not see why someone has to be all nicey-nice about an editor's writings, just because he was a talented performer.

If you think Mark C or even any of his teachers fall anywhere near that description I would disagree.

It isn't for me to repeat names I noticed in other threads, but it is safe to say that they have a lot more respect for their scholarship than Bülow does for his Beethoven edition. Not only that, but I venture to say that they have far more experience of teaching high level students playing Beethoven than Bülow did: there are simply far more high level students around nowadays. And that kind of experience is what helps one give sensible and objective advice, rather than that weird stuff Bülow wrote about the Appassionata.

Comparing the number of times someone has played Beethoven's masterworks around the world, and with which orchestras, is not relevant to what was brought up in this thread. The topic was some very strange advice in a Beethoven edition, casually critical of Beethoven, which just happened to be made by Bülow. That's it, and that's all. Performing Beethoven a lot, to great acclaim, does not qualify one to casually declare where Beethoven made mistakes and should have composed differently.
None of the above is relevant. Even remotely so.
You continually bring up von Bulow's scholarship on the Beethoven Sonatas.

I've said this maybe ten times on this thread, but I'l try once more:

I'm not claiming that von Bulow's idea about the Appasionata was correct, or that his edition is good, or anything of the kind. I'm claiming that von Bulow was a giant in musical history both as a pianist and a performer. Therefore, any negative criticism of him should be done with some respect and not be done in a nasty or arrogant fashion. This applies to anyone but especially to someone who's musical resume is tiny or nil by comparison.

Here is the original statment I objected to. I find it disrepsectful, arrogant, and childish. Phrases like "Absurd, "Do you believe these guys?"and the even criticizing von Bulow's use of a hyphen. Lack of realization about the writing style of the day.

"Excepting the case in the Finale of the C-minor Symphony [sic, with the hyphen] (first part), the Editor [sic, upper case] knows no more unjustifiable compulsion [sic] to repetition than this. The whole poem presses to a close; the player, who thus far has striven [sic] with all the technical and mental energy at his command to fulfil his task, must [sic] now be so near exhaustion, as to be obliged to muster his entire [sic] remaining strength in order to meet the demands of the Coda -- demands hardly to be over-estimated. If he obeys the repeat, his work will [sic] be inferior to the first time (unless he unduly [sic] saved his strength before); on the listener the repetition may make a didactic, but in no case [sic] an artistico-plastic impression [sic!!]; therefore let reverence for an extrinsic matter of inattention [SIC!!!!!!!] on the Master's part be saved up for private practice, in which the reproductive musician [sic] must always [sic] be able to accomplish at least twice as much as is required of him at a public concert."

Do you believe these guys????

P.S. Sic 'em!!!

Interesting that after all the criticism, he admits that some do omit the repeat.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/17/10 02:32 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Part of the problem here is that what constitute treating someone with respect is highly subjective, even more so in an online forum. For example, for me, Mark's comments on von Bulow are not disrespectful. I wouldn't have pointed out every grammatical inconsistency (even though I generally like to do things like that), but that's just a matter of taste. I don't find calling the explanation absurd, or "do you believe these guys" to be disrespectful. I just don't.

So, even though PV is objecting to a lack of respect, if others don't see that lack, they think he's saying you can't criticize the greats at *all*, and we get... pages of this stuff. Maybe it's time to drop it. smile

-Jason

Thanks for another great post.

About that original post of mine: In addition to making my point, I was having FUN. Some people (maybe many) don't appreciate that, perhaps especially in a context of seriousness, and perhaps don't understand it. If so, they simply won't grasp where I'm coming from in most of my posts.

My "sic 'ems" about the linguistic style were totally in fun, not intended as criticisms. It was mentioned that perhaps much of what von Bulow said reflected his era, and to at least a large extent that's true. And without a doubt, most if not all of the seemingly-odd linguistic things reflected the era. Also, some of them, like capitalization of some nouns, may have reflected German, and other aspects (e.e. "reproductive musician") may have reflected imperfect translation.

My post was a combination of fun and substance. If someone doesn't appreciate that......well, they won't appreciate it, and they may well be offended.

Regarding the main point: Sure, I was expressing an opinion, but it's not like I didn't know what I was talking about, and I feel sure that it's an opinion that would be extremely widely shared among today's serious musicians. I was also having fun.

Which, by the way, last I checked, is part of what many of us feel we're here for. smile

And which I'm pretty sure many other serious musicians would also find hard to resist with such material.

Thanks for another great post.

About that original post of mine: In addition to making my point, I was having FUN. Some people (maybe many) don't appreciate that, perhaps especially in a context of seriousness, and perhaps don't understand it. If so, they simply won't grasp where I'm coming from in most of my posts.

My "sic 'ems" about the linguistic style were totally in fun, not intended as criticisms. It was mentioned that perhaps much of what von Bulow said reflected his era, and to at least a large extent that's true. And without a doubt, most if not all of the seemingly-odd linguistic things reflected the era. Also, some of them, like capitalization of some nouns, may have reflected German, and other aspects (e.e. "reproductive musician") may have reflected imperfect translation.

My post was a combination of fun and substance. If someone doesn't appreciate that......well, they won't appreciate it, and they may well be offended.

Regarding the main point: Sure, I was expressing an opinion, but it's not like I didn't know what I was talking about, and I feel sure that it's an opinion that would be extremely widely shared among today's serious musicians. I was also having fun.

Which, by the way, last I checked, is part of what many of us feel we're here for. smile

And which I'm pretty sure many other serious musicians would also find hard to resist with such material.
You may have thought you were having fun, but I didn't see it that way. Unless having fun at someone else's expense is your idea of fun.

The rest of your last post about only expressing an opinion or that you knew what you were talking about or that many other musicians would agree is not the point of my comments. You even said "maybe many" wouldn't appreciate your idea of humor. So if that's the case, maybe you should avoid this kind of humor.

It doesn't help to put smileys all over the place in a post because they are often used sarcatically on the web.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think that its bad that the Ducktales theme is just a copy of Hall & Oates - You make my dreams come true.

Plover: Good post, under the circumstances. smile

Here's how I would distill it all out: You don't appreciate or approve of my style, and sometimes or often you just don't grasp it (as you indicated was the case here, by noting that you "didn't see it that way").

That's a big part of why I think we're better off avoiding each other's posts, as I've suggested.

P.S. I hope you won't be tempted to point out that I did reply to this post of yours. smile
I'm trying to make peace and round this out.

Here's how I would distill it all out: You don't appreciate or approve of my style, and sometimes or often you just don't grasp it (as you indicated was the case here, by noting that you "didn't see it that way").
"Not grasping it" makes it sound like my understanding of your post was wrong or that I was the one who was lacking something since I couldn't grasp it. It could also be that your post really sounds the way I described it even though you say you meant something different. You just said that "maybe many" would feel the way I did.

I assume your "Good post, under the circunmstances :)" doesn't sound condescending to you either.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/17/10 04:03 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, that's not what I have said at all. I said that given von Bulow's stature in musical history as one of the great pianists/conductors:

1. Any criticism of him should be done in a appropiate tone that is not arroagant. This does not mean that one must treat von Bulow as infallible or indulge in hero worship. There is plenty of room between that approach and the the approach I find arrogantly dismissive.

2. #1 is even more to the point when the person doing the criticsm has a small(or even no)musical resume.

3. You were the one that implied your resume might really be less than small, but have given no evidence when I asked you.

4. I've said at least five times in this thread that my comments were not about someone's right to have an opinion.

5. I've also many times in this thread that my comments have nothing to do with the correctness of the von Bulow comments about the Appassionata.

1. Key word here is IIII....as in "There is plenty of room between that approach and the the approach IIIII find arrogantly dismissive." Who the heck cares what YOU find arrogantly dismissive. Get over yourself. Are you the only person reading these posts? I think not.

2. I have a musical resume. I don't know about others who have commented.

3. My resume IS less than small, however, rather than answer the questions I'd posed, you instead chose to answer with "show me your resume". Why? Once again, who the heck are you that I should have to list my resume in order to state an opinion. Do you really want my resume? If so PM me and I'll gladly mail it to you.

4. Fine. Good for you.

5. Double fine.

Last edited by stores; 08/17/10 06:01 PM.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I don't know about Mark, personally, but how can you make a statement like that not knowing with whom he's studied? How do you know Mark hasn't studied privately with, or taken part in masterclasses with Fleisher, or Brendel, or whomever?

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think that its bad that the Ducktales theme is just a copy of Hall & Oates - You make my dreams come true.

Been drinking?

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
just checking if people were actually reading these posts. It has gone so far OT, I thought my comment was actually more in the right direction!

3. My resume IS less than small, however, rather than answer the questions I'd posed, you instead chose to answer with "show me your resume". Why? Once again, who the heck are you that I should have to list my resume in order to state an opinion. Do you really want my resume? If so PM me and I'll gladly mail it to you.

Why would I have to PM you for something I already asked for?

You're the one who hinted you might have a big musical resume. You don't have to give your "less than small" resume to give your opinion. It's not just about stating an opinion. It's about anyone, but especially those with small or nil resumes, criticizing a musical giant in what were IMO inappropriate tones.

I was not the one criticizing or supporting what I thought inappropriatealy phrased criticsm of von Bulow. Nor did I ever state or imply my musical resume was a big one.

As Kreisler stated earlier somewhere(paraphrasing): "It's not usually the pros who offer the most criticism."

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

makes it sound like.... I was the one who was lacking something since I couldn't grasp it.

You ARE lacking something! That being the ability to admit that you could be, may be, probably are...WRONG. You've got an answer for everything, whether it's actually an answer or not (another question is not an answer). You've been yapping about arrogant criticism and yet at times you're one of the most arrogantly critical members of this forum (not to mention the adolescent manner in which you pick at and pester Mark).

Last edited by stores; 08/17/10 05:58 PM.

♪ ≠ $

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
just checking if people were actually reading these posts. It has gone so far OT, I thought my comment was actually more in the right direction!

Not only did I read you post, Victor25, but I went ahead and compared the Ducktales theme to the classic Hall and Oates song. Was surprised to find that I actually preferred the Hall and Oates. But very similar songs, yes! (Much more similar than the oft-cited similarity between "I Want a New Drug" and the Ghostbusters theme.)

-J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hahaha, you have no idea how good it was for me to read that laugh!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

1. Key word here is IIII....as in "There is plenty of room between that approach and the the approach IIIII find arrogantly dismissive." Who the heck cares what YOU find arrogantly dismissive. Get over yourself. Are you the only person reading these posts? I think not.

2. I have a musical resume. I don't know about others who have commented.

4. Fine. Good for you.

5. Double fine.

Haha...It would appear that in my haste to answer I wrote that "My resume IS less than small.", which would have read "more than small" had I been thinking and not irritated at the moment. Good cue to leave this topic.

♪ ≠ $

This thread is totally absurd.

Indeed.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission