Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (AndyJoe, anamnesis, angga888, 36251, accordeur, 27 invisible), 1418 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1496876 - 08/16/10 02:51 AM Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye"
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Sorry I didn't get a postcard done this weekend. I went into Chicago with my daughter to see "Shrek: The Musical." It was an excellent show!

I did do a recording, however, using what I've learned in CuBase during the last couple of weeks about layering tracks. I must tell you that this is not a humorous number, which is a departure from my previous recent posts in Member Recordings.

If you've been following any of the Haddorff Postcard series, you may remember when that dearheart, ChopinAddict, offered to scan and send me some music from her vintage scores. One of them that I requested was this:

And here is what I did with it:

"He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" by W.C. Newsam and Alexander Lee, published in Grandma's Songs: 110 Favorite Songs.

ChopinAddict, is there a year listed in this book? Just curious...

I changed the words to the third verse, because I don't know what a "loose, broken silver cord" next to a "fallen pitcher" has to do with anything. If anyone can enlighten me as to the meaning of this symbolism, I'd be grateful. I used old diction in the re-write, though, to keep everything "whole."

The piano is still not in tune--"Scout Hall" as Canonie called it. Somehow, it works well with this piece. It seems contextually right, in a way, if that makes any sense...

In any case, this is just me, about as raw and naked as I get in terms of making music based on what I know.

Thank you, ChopinAddict, for sharing this score! I had a feeling it was a song that I should get to know!

--Andy

#1496896 - 08/16/10 03:58 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Lovely song Andy, Very nice singing and playing.

#1496898 - 08/16/10 04:04 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Hi Andy,

That was truly beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

The collection is actually old itself and the title is Grandma's Songs, so I thought the song itself must be very old (obviously older than the collection). I checked on the net and I found out this particular version of "He Wipes the Tear" was written in 1911.

I have also just found out what the silver cord is...
It appears to be the bond between body and soul...
The pitcher is the body I think... smile

Thank you again for your beautiful interpretation!

CA

Music is my best friend.

#1496954 - 08/16/10 08:59 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: ChopinAddict]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Wonderful work Mr Haddorf. I heard the tears at the end. (?Almost too) Lovely reverb on the solo voice, and your choir is pretty good too wink Your voice reminds me a little of Paul Simon in this recording, not sure why... your playing is perfect as always. I think you were made for this sort of music. Thank you for another high quality trip down a memory lane that I never was down in the first place. But I have imagination.

Oh and thank you so much for posting part of score as well.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1497138 - 08/16/10 02:05 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Canonie]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Beautiful Andy. Brought tears to my eyes (seriously). I love music from that era - particularly when it is performed as well as this.

We could sure use you in our church choir !! smile

#1497431 - 08/16/10 08:10 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: carey]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Well, Andy, it worked for me, too. You've done well.

#1497460 - 08/16/10 09:04 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: ChrisKeys]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow - amazing! Wonderful music-making, Andy.
It must be nice to be able to sing like the Tibetans and vocalize multiple vocal lines at once heh heh! You can tell us... you don't need Cubase to pull that off! smile

Lovely work, Andy.

#1497510 - 08/16/10 10:19 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: ChrisKeys]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Great playing and great singing!!!!

Working on: music

#1497614 - 08/17/10 02:15 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: al-mahed]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joe, carey, Chris, and al-mahed--Thank you. I am so very happy that you appreciated it.

Canonie and carey--about music from this era: "They don't make 'em like that anymore!" There is a fire in me right now for popular music from the beginning of the 20th century. I can't get enough of it! As easy as it sounds, and as easy as it is to read, it's rather challenging to play! (for me, anyway!...) grin

And Canonie, I thought you'd catch that part about the tear at the end! smile

Originally Posted By: Mattardo
[...]It must be nice to be able to sing like the Tibetans and vocalize multiple vocal lines at once heh heh! You can tell us... you don't need Cubase to pull that off! smile [...]

Mr. Matt, you always crack me up! To tell a story, a few years ago, I heard an Australian boys choir perform here in Rockford, and one of the pieces they did was Sarah Hopkins' "Past Life Melodies" that featured overtone singing. It was WAY cool!

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
[...]I have also just found out what the silver cord is...
It appears to be the bond between body and soul...
The pitcher is the body I think... smile
[...]

Thanks, CA! So then, does verse three say, "When we die, we meet God in heaven"? In other words, "the silver chord" no longer holds the soul when the "pitcher falls/body dies," and the soul returns to "the place where angels dwell/heaven"(?) Is that what the lyricist is saying? Am I reading that right? (I'm not talking fine points of theology, here. I just want to know if I'm understanding the poetry as it's indended.)

Thanks!

--Andy

#1497617 - 08/17/10 02:42 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I think so, that's how I interpret it too. smile
But I am not really into theology, I just googled it... blush And in one of the entries where the silver cord was mentioned they also mentioned the "bowl" (the body), so I thought it must be the pitcher...
CA smile

Music is my best friend.

#1497773 - 08/17/10 10:33 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: ChopinAddict]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

[...]But I am not really into theology, I just googled it... [...]

Dear CA,
For some reason this line really tickled me! Thanks for the best laugh to start my day! grin Something so complicated solved by something so simple! I LOVE that! I need to remember that I can find stuff out on the Internet!*

[...]
And in one of the entries where the silver cord was mentioned they also mentioned the "bowl" (the body), so I thought it must be the pitcher...
CA smile

I get it. The body as a vessel and all that. You must be right. Thank you for checking all of that out! thumb Now, I can sing the verse, since I know what it means! (But, I think I like my verse better, so maybe I'll stick with the "improved" version! Ha-ha!)

--Andy

_________
*[shameless political plug: fight the intrusive Google behemoth. Use www.ixquick.com ( www.startpage.com in the U.S.) for your searches. They don't store information about what you look for. Google, Yahoo and Bing do.]

#1497786 - 08/17/10 11:00 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Quote:
And Canonie, I thought you'd catch that part about the tear at the end!

That was your own personal touch I assume Andy?

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1498099 - 08/17/10 06:19 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Canonie]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes. What I had to work with is what you see above. Right below the last line is "Oh, Susanna!" LOL! So, I just tried to follow the flow of the music, and put in a touch here and a touch there that seemed to fit. Thanks! smile

#1498112 - 08/17/10 06:43 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

thumb
You made me curious when you asked in your OP if anybody knew what the silver cord was, that's why I checked. smile

By the way, that version I gave you is not even the original one, as I have just found out... I think this is the original one... It was written in 1883. I haven't checked it word for word, but it starts completely different...

I have no idea though if Newsman's version is somehow more popular, being in the collection I have instead of the original one...

Music is my best friend.

#1498273 - 08/17/10 11:24 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: ChopinAddict]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Whoa, CA! Now that is really cool! Look at that arrangement! Grace notes and everything! The lyrics are all different, and are certainly direct... though the sentiment of the song is the same.

Very, very cool! Thank you so much for digging into this. You seem to have a librarian's heart! grin

#1498342 - 08/18/10 02:47 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, I love libraries! 3hearts I feel a little bit like Borges when I am in a library! smile

Thank YOU for giving me the opportunity to learn something! smile

Music is my best friend.

#1580573 - 12/20/10 12:01 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: ChopinAddict]
osbert Offline

Dear Andy! It's very nice!

I like collecting stamp and postcard.

Last Sunday I got some postcards, the one is "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye".

So by the internet search, I found here to enjoy your great playing and great singing!

This postcard was sent on Jy 12 1910.

BTW,I got another postcard. I scan it as follow.FYI.

My Email is Osbert_guo#Yahoo.com.cn
Please change # as @.

Edited by osbert (12/20/10 12:02 PM)

#1593074 - 01/08/11 03:41 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: osbert]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Goodness gracious, I should have posted a response sooner! blush

Just to let everybody know, I e-mailed osbert on Christmas Day and asked him about the origins of this postcard. I was curious, since I thought the hymn was Australian, yet the postcard has a picture of Whistler's Mother (an American painting). Apparently, there was no origin given for this postcard, but osbert said other postcards from the batch he had just acquired were from "The Eventscope Music Postcard Series" published by B. Feldman & Co., London. (no date given)

Can anyone tell us more about postcards such as these, which featured a score? When were they used? How long were they popular? Etc.

Thanks!
--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (01/08/11 04:00 AM)

#1593094 - 01/08/11 05:45 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Can anyone tell us more about postcards such as these, which featured a score? When were they used? How long were they popular? Etc.

Thanks!
--Andy

I am trying to find out, but all I have found so far is this:
http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/main,book-info/store,gifts/products_id,3823/title,Play-It-Again/
No details available...

Anyway, I think there were much better than e-mails! smile

Music is my best friend.

#1593397 - 01/08/11 03:37 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: ChopinAddict]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
And just as immediate. I have one from my grandparents to each other when they were courting, which simply says "Meet you at the Post Office at 2 o'clock this afternoon." Says something about the quality of the postal service 100 years ago...

#1593461 - 01/08/11 05:35 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: currawong]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
And just as immediate. I have one from my grandparents to each other when they were courting, which simply says "Meet you at the Post Office at 2 o'clock this afternoon." Says something about the quality of the postal service 100 years ago...

That is so sweet!!!

As a teenager I used to exchange postcards with a girl just for fun. We wrote each other every two weeks or so, so I had a huge collection. Unfortunately I think my mother got rid of the postcards when I moved out. frown

Music is my best friend.

#1593491 - 01/08/11 06:23 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Andy, I loved it! I was reminded of Paul Simon too, just as somebody else mentioned here. You have a great voice and a huge talent for music. Hope your kids absorb some of it too and go on to enjoy life embedded in the gift of musical sound.
Next in line:
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op.23
Debussy: Le vent dans la plaine (Prelude 3, Book 1)
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1595128 - 01/11/11 04:13 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Andy,

While this is not my style of music I have to admit that I really enjoyed the recording (so much that I kept listening to it for more than 2 times in a row!)

From a highly technical point I find that the piano is a little 'dull' in terms of recording quality (perhaps a little EQ would help?), but it works very well with your voice and this IS a lovely tune, as well as your singing!

Well done and most importantly thank you for sharing this with us! smile

#1595227 - 01/11/11 09:41 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Nikolas]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks you for your replies!

CA--your librarian heart is showing, again! grin I've been searching, too, but so far have not hit the mother lode of info...

currawong--thank you for that glimpse into the not too distant past!

liszt85--my kids both love to sing smile , but didn't quite have the inclination to pick up an instrument frown .

Nikolas--could you please do me a favor? Would you listen to some of this clip and see if it sounds dull to you? That will help me understand your comment about the piano above and see if there are changes I need to make in processing the sound... Thanks in advance... smile

On the Haddorff. In EBVT III.
Amazing Grace piano track

#1596160 - 01/12/11 04:08 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Andy,

Since I now know you heard my work (the piano + strings one), you can compare.

Of course it's not fair by any chance to compare a sample library of a Steinway recorded with top notch equipment and a Haddorff upright recorded with less than stelar equipment, but still you might get some ideas on how to sound 'better'.

Your piano is an upright, but I think it does sound a little dull after all. Not sure how you're making the recording (if you have the mics further from the piano, or inside the piano, etc), but it feels that with a little EQ (taking out some mid frequencies) you could get a little 'cleaner' sound.

Do keep in mind that I'm not much of a recording engineer, right? I do hope to make some experiments with your file tomorrow (because it's 1 hour before midnight here in Greece).

#1596164 - 01/12/11 04:14 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Nikolas]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Nice, Nikolas, Thanks!

I have not solved my hiss problem. I am using two old Sony Electret Condenser Mics, (ECM 220) from the late 70s or early 80s. I thought the dullness might be from the layering of hiss from the voice tracks on top of the piano track, and that if that dullness was not in the piano track alone, that would tell me something!

Any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated! Until tomorrow, then!

--Andy

#1596883 - 01/13/11 05:39 PM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
ah, just what the doctor ordered; very lovely. reminds me a little of van morrison's version of 'be thou my vision'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-bbvmu0YY

#1598481 - 01/16/11 08:15 AM Re: Haddorff--(no postcard) "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" [Re: Cinnamonbear]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
oh my - this is absolutely marvelous!

I wish there were more hours in every day so i could include gems like this in the moments that pass.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
Today at 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
Today at 07:48 PM
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
Today at 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
Today at 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
Today at 05:43 PM
Forum Stats
77063 Members
42 Forums
159383 Topics
2341270 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission