Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1496804 - 08/15/10 10:26 PM Re: Some advice for a troubled pianist [Re: pianoman6584]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoman6584
I remember a couple years ago, a teacher asked me about sight reading. I said "yeah, it's just the intervals right?" Surprisingly, he said no. He said it's about the patterns and recently I've realized what he meant. If you notice, most music is broken up into predicable segments of scales, chords, arpeggios, etc. I'm working on Chopin's C# minor impromptu and I could easily sight read the treble clef at a slow tempo because it's all just the basics. It's best to look at segments (usually the beats or the notes beamed together) rather than individual notes. Then you only have to identify the first note of each group and the rest fall into place. Of course the rules change as little as you get into harmonies outside the scale, but generall it's just about making the connection between what you see and what you do.

Oh yeah, and theory helps DRAMATICALLY when it comes to understanding what you're looking at.

I think with your experience with so many works, you should be able to sight read decently once you learn theory. You can't LOSE anything by educating yourself. I can tell you first hand that theory will somehow make you a better player.

That's a very good way of putting it.
Once you recognize that certain arpeggios, patterns equal certain chords, and scale progressions - it becomes very, very easy. So easy, it's amazing. One of the best ways to teach arpeggios, alberti bass, etc is to point out to a student the chord it is forming. Then they are able to see that chord instantly when they look at it, and the phrase becomes obvious.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1496827 - 08/15/10 11:34 PM Re: Some advice for a troubled pianist [Re: Mattardo]
John Chan Offline

Sight reading is all about expectation.

If you know what to expect, then reading is a breeze.

Harmony theory and counterpoint are what you need to become a quick reader. Learn figure bass (who does these days...), and you will understand spacing.

Good luck.

#1496846 - 08/16/10 12:37 AM Re: Some advice for a troubled pianist [Re: John Chan]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Why is it so difficult about reading?
When I was still teaching piano, I made my students memorize the note by position.
In one week, little kids will have no problem remembering the first 5 notes, middle c through g, the following week ad 2 more, a and b....etc

Memorize by position is to be able to tell the note by looking at the position.
For example e is on the first line, memorize this, then f in the first space, g on the second line.....It is just hard to belive people who play Waltz, Ballad, cannot even read this...

#1496892 - 08/16/10 03:55 AM Re: Some advice for a troubled pianist [Re: Dr.Gradus]
HNB Offline

Loc: Australia
You mention you play in an amateur band? Then you have access to the BEST way to improve your sight reading.

Get a bunch of easy songs for your band to play. Depending on what type of music you're into, this might be chord charts or chamber music scores... doesn't matter. Jam these songs with your band *without learning them first*.

Having to keep up with other musicians is the very best way to learn how to sight read, how to keep going when you make mistakes, and also how to fudge on the fly if you can't play exactly what's on the sheet smile

Good luck.

#1497024 - 08/16/10 10:57 AM Re: Some advice for a troubled pianist [Re: stores]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: stores
Originally Posted By: Victor25
You could play all Mozart and Beethoven sonata's at age 16 ?? wow I think even Barenboim was 17

Keep in mind he said the violin sonatas...not that they're some easy feat mind you. I agree with dolce that that is how things SHOULD be! I did the same thing all the time as a kid and would just start at the beginning of whatever was on the rack and work my way to the last page. I honestly believe it's one of the biggest contributors to having the sizeable repertoire I have now.

Makes alot more sense now, I find sight-reading through parts like op109 last movement to be quite... impossible smile.

#1497041 - 08/16/10 11:33 AM Re: Some advice for a troubled pianist [Re: Morodiene]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

We need to know specific note names to help figure out what notes to start on and also to read notes that might be a far leap away (more than an octave usually) from the previous note. However, that's pretty much it. [/i]. laugh

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one using this technique. grin

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
65 registered (Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, Allard, beeboss, barbaram, 18 invisible), 1170 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295078 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
07/30/14 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
07/30/14 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission