Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (36251, Anne'sson, A Guy, anotherscott, Anita Potter, 36 invisible), 1445 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1510783 - 09/07/10 12:19 PM Re: My First Lesson with a New Teacher [Re: Frozenicicles]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
Originally Posted By: Piano Again
I dunno -- the lesson didn't sound that bad to me. She let him play through the whole piece at the beginning before she started working on it with him. I've had teachers that didn't even do that.
Me too - sometimes I would only get to play 4 bars of something for the whole lesson.

And me too.
But that in itself isn't the issue, and I don't think anybody here said it was.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1511478 - 09/08/10 12:24 PM Re: My First Lesson with a New Teacher [Re: D4v3]
D4v3 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
@ Apple* and Candywoman: Thankyou and going forward I will respect the anonymity of the other parties involved. I didnt think it would be an issue putting her video up when most of the reply posts prior were indicating that they liked the post and wanted to know more.

@ Pianoloverus and Keystring

I have asked my recent teacher before this current teacher, where he thought I was skill wise and all he would say is "advanced". I asked about the fact that some pieces he was having me learn seemed rather simple to which he would give me a look like and say something like "it's deceptively easy, but it needs to be performed with absolute musicality and there are certain elements of technique that we can work on with a piece that doesnt have many different things going at the same time." And "dont associate a piece's difficulty by how hard it is to sight read".

Not knowing how certain pieces are scored for difficulty its hard for me to say "This was the hardest thing for me to play or this was the most advanced piece". The last things I was playing before coming back to the piano were the Pathetique all three movements completed to teacher satisfaction; Several Prokofiev Visions and Fugitives (not just the simple ones); virtually all of Schumanns Kinderzehnen; Chopin's Berceuse (and recently the Fminor Etude); and finally Bach's Prelude 21. Score me as you may, you can look at my signature to see what Im working on currently.

Yes it is my wish to be a concert pianist someday and Im patient and am willing to go back and work on very basic pieces to develop my technique properly if needed which I think is what my current teachers are helping me with and are doing.

I am also realistic and dont think Ill be there over night but I would rather shoot for being a concert pianist some day and be close to that then settle for mediocrity and always wonder if I ever had it in me to be there.

~ Regarding recent lessons and added impressions ~

The first lesson seemed like she may be very strict at all times but she has been nothing but very pleasent to work with and I dont see those "stops!" as being critical but as a "stop right there because that's where a problem is and let's look at it before going on."

We are revisiting Grieg's Notturno because it is a good piece to look at some of the ways to pull the sound out of the piano.

I have played the piece more with finger movement and she is trying to show me to use more upper arm weight and wrist movements "wrist breathing" and immediate release of tension after playing the note because the sound has already been made and no constant downward pressure is needed other than to keep the note in place for its allotted duration.

We are doing some interesting things with scales and something new to me playing the scale's chords (4 notes in each hand to encompase the octave) through all its inversions multiple octaves using the arm weight drop technique. She gave the example of the Tchiakovsky Piano concerto and said that if you played those opening chords with out the arm weight drop technique youd be burned out after the first page or you run the risk of people not being able to hear you as you need to be heard.

Edited by D4v3 (09/08/10 12:31 PM)

Some of my compositions

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77368 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349770 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission