Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1483810 - 07/29/10 12:43 PM Winter Snow Exceptionally Finished
Claude56 Offline

This piece is now finished, oh and its about a good 4 minutes too:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n5578obljc1g66m

This particular piece was posted by me about a few months ago, and since then, I haven't really dedicated any of my time to composing, so recently, I have decided that I would finish this piece and post it here in the Composer's Lounge.

The beginning of the piece is the same as it was a few months ago, because I felt that it sounded good and it should be kept. However, right away when the piece starts to wander, I had to change that, and as some of you folks have suggested, I rearranged it to incorporate a melody. The rest of the piece is a variation of the theme, so the melody just repeats itself, but is varied in the last half of the piece.

If you listen carefully, you will notice there are quite a few accented notes, bumps, and bangs in the sound file. Please excuse those, because they are not really meant to be there and they are the result of my piano being screw up, as there a few keys that make banging sounds when you press down on them. I have a 170 Clavinova and this is quite a common problem for this brand of piano, so I am due to fix any of these problems soon.

Edited by Claude56 (07/29/10 12:45 PM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1483872 - 07/29/10 01:43 PM Re: Winter Snow Exceptionally Finished [Re: Claude56]
Cudo Offline

Loc: Heidelberg, Germany
I like your composition. It reminds me a bit of Debussy. It sounds impressionistic. All that pentatonic scale runs - and you even use hemitonic pentatonics which make a very special sound. Sometimes there are repeating notes and these notes are disproportionately loud. Is this your intention?

Some time ago I did a similar composition for piano. If you like to hear it --> http://www.cisum.info/bild.mp3

#1483885 - 07/29/10 02:05 PM Re: Winter Snow Exceptionally Finished [Re: Cudo]
WinsomeAllegretto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

OMG This is so awesome! I agree it does sound like Debussy. How on earth did you come up with it?

#1484018 - 07/29/10 05:52 PM Re: Winter Snow Exceptionally Finished [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Sounds like Debussy! This is spectacular! Oh, what I would give to be able to use the Lydian mode and whole tones half as effectively as Debussy did or as you do. smile

#1484910 - 07/30/10 09:30 PM Re: Winter Snow Exceptionally Finished [Re: WinsomeAllegretto]
Claude56 Offline

Originally Posted By: Cudo
Sometimes there are repeating notes and these notes are disproportionately loud. Is this your intention?

Some time ago I did a similar composition for piano. If you like to hear it --> http://www.cisum.info/bild.mp3

No, those aren't meant to be there. As in my original post, I said that those notes that are disproportionately loud are the result of a few of my keys not working on my piano. However, when I get my piano fixed, I am bound to add a few accents in the right places and some dynamics to this piece to spice things up to make things a bit more overly-sentimental smile

And your right, this piece was meant to sound melancholy like Debussy would sometimes do to his:)

Originally Posted By: WinsomeAllegretto
OMG This is so awesome! I agree it does sound like Debussy. How on earth did you come up with it?

It took me a little while to come up with it. The music started in my head when I was inspired by Debussy's Arabesque, and because Debussy's melancholy stuff is usually slow to medium speed, something stimulated the thought that if Debussy can make melancholy music slow, why can't I make melancholy music fast? This train of thought eventually led me to making up a piece like this.

There presented a problem though, if I was going to make Debussy's music fast and with a beat, there would have to be many harmonic changes taking place, because without the harmonics the piece would be boring. Debussy's melancholy music is usually diatonic, and since there is hardly many chords in any diatonic system, I had to make up my own ways of smooth modulation to get from one key to the next without having the listener realizing the change. After that, I applied those harmonically to this piece.

Oh, and in the future, I am going to make up an etude with pentatonics like this piece, but more rhythmically inspired by Chopins revolutionary etude. So now that I have the feel for composing fast melancholy Debussy pieces, I can apply this stuff towards making etudes. And absolutely I can apply this stuff to slower pieces.... however this next piece that I'm going to write will be extra colorful!

#1497828 - 08/17/10 11:58 AM Re: Winter Snow Exceptionally Finished [Re: Claude56]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Debussey melancholy? That's a bit like saying that all music written in a minor key sounds sad. Debussey is to music what pastels and watercolours are to painting.

There are many tricks to enhancing diatonicism. Floating modality is an obvious one in this case, as is, say, floating tonality that uses pivots on the second note of a modern scale. (Eg- C maj, Eb maj, Gb maj., etc.).

Diatonicism doesn't have to be limited. Voicing alone can imply greater complexity than is actually present.

Very nice piece, by the way. You've a good ear for what makes for visual structure in a listener.

Edited by gsmonks (08/17/10 12:00 PM)

#1498269 - 08/17/10 11:07 PM Re: Winter Snow Exceptionally Finished [Re: gsmonks]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I've listened to this piece a few more times, and have to say that it grows on you with each listen (even with those funky notes). I hope you'll repost the final version?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustaining vs Dead On Unison
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
18 minutes 58 seconds ago
Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos
by WaterDweller
Today at 07:10 AM
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
Today at 02:56 AM
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
Today at 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 01:29 AM
Who's Online
102 registered (Arizona Sage, AndresD, Allard, 37 invisible), 1281 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157945 Topics
2319535 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission