2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Sorry I didn't get a postcard done this weekend. I went into Chicago with my daughter to see "Shrek: The Musical." It was an excellent show!

I did do a recording, however, using what I've learned in CuBase during the last couple of weeks about layering tracks. I must tell you that this is not a humorous number, which is a departure from my previous recent posts in Member Recordings.

If you've been following any of the Haddorff Postcard series, you may remember when that dearheart, ChopinAddict, offered to scan and send me some music from her vintage scores. One of them that I requested was this:

[Linked Image]

And here is what I did with it:

"He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye" by W.C. Newsam and Alexander Lee, published in Grandma's Songs: 110 Favorite Songs.

ChopinAddict, is there a year listed in this book? Just curious...

I changed the words to the third verse, because I don't know what a "loose, broken silver cord" next to a "fallen pitcher" has to do with anything. If anyone can enlighten me as to the meaning of this symbolism, I'd be grateful. I used old diction in the re-write, though, to keep everything "whole."

The piano is still not in tune--"Scout Hall" as Canonie called it. Somehow, it works well with this piece. It seems contextually right, in a way, if that makes any sense...

In any case, this is just me, about as raw and naked as I get in terms of making music based on what I know.

Thank you, ChopinAddict, for sharing this score! I had a feeling it was a song that I should get to know!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lovely song Andy, Very nice singing and playing.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Andy,

That was truly beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

The collection is actually old itself and the title is Grandma's Songs, so I thought the song itself must be very old (obviously older than the collection). I checked on the net and I found out this particular version of "He Wipes the Tear" was written in 1911.

I have also just found out what the silver cord is...
It appears to be the bond between body and soul...
The pitcher is the body I think... smile

Thank you again for your beautiful interpretation!

CA

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wonderful work Mr Haddorf. I heard the tears at the end. (?Almost too) Lovely reverb on the solo voice, and your choir is pretty good too wink Your voice reminds me a little of Paul Simon in this recording, not sure why... your playing is perfect as always. I think you were made for this sort of music. Thank you for another high quality trip down a memory lane that I never was down in the first place. But I have imagination.

Oh and thank you so much for posting part of score as well.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Beautiful Andy. Brought tears to my eyes (seriously). I love music from that era - particularly when it is performed as well as this.

We could sure use you in our church choir !! smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Well, Andy, it worked for me, too. You've done well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow - amazing! Wonderful music-making, Andy.
It must be nice to be able to sing like the Tibetans and vocalize multiple vocal lines at once heh heh! You can tell us... you don't need Cubase to pull that off! smile

Lovely work, Andy.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great playing and great singing!!!!

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joe, carey, Chris, and al-mahed--Thank you. I am so very happy that you appreciated it.

Canonie and carey--about music from this era: "They don't make 'em like that anymore!" There is a fire in me right now for popular music from the beginning of the 20th century. I can't get enough of it! As easy as it sounds, and as easy as it is to read, it's rather challenging to play! (for me, anyway!...) grin

And Canonie, I thought you'd catch that part about the tear at the end! smile

Originally Posted by Mattardo
[...]It must be nice to be able to sing like the Tibetans and vocalize multiple vocal lines at once heh heh! You can tell us... you don't need Cubase to pull that off! smile [...]

Mr. Matt, you always crack me up! To tell a story, a few years ago, I heard an Australian boys choir perform here in Rockford, and one of the pieces they did was Sarah Hopkins' "Past Life Melodies" that featured overtone singing. It was WAY cool!

Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
[...]I have also just found out what the silver cord is...
It appears to be the bond between body and soul...
The pitcher is the body I think... smile
[...]

Thanks, CA! So then, does verse three say, "When we die, we meet God in heaven"? In other words, "the silver chord" no longer holds the soul when the "pitcher falls/body dies," and the soul returns to "the place where angels dwell/heaven"(?) Is that what the lyricist is saying? Am I reading that right? (I'm not talking fine points of theology, here. I just want to know if I'm understanding the poetry as it's indended.)

Thanks!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think so, that's how I interpret it too. smile
But I am not really into theology, I just googled it... blush And in one of the entries where the silver cord was mentioned they also mentioned the "bowl" (the body), so I thought it must be the pitcher...
CA smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
[...]But I am not really into theology, I just googled it... [...]

Dear CA,
For some reason this line really tickled me! Thanks for the best laugh to start my day! grin Something so complicated solved by something so simple! I LOVE that! I need to remember that I can find stuff out on the Internet!*

[...]
And in one of the entries where the silver cord was mentioned they also mentioned the "bowl" (the body), so I thought it must be the pitcher...
CA smile

I get it. The body as a vessel and all that. You must be right. Thank you for checking all of that out! thumb Now, I can sing the verse, since I know what it means! (But, I think I like my verse better, so maybe I'll stick with the "improved" version! Ha-ha!)

--Andy

_________
*[shameless political plug: fight the intrusive Google behemoth. Use www.ixquick.com ( www.startpage.com in the U.S.) for your searches. They don't store information about what you look for. Google, Yahoo and Bing do.]

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And Canonie, I thought you'd catch that part about the tear at the end!

That was your own personal touch I assume Andy?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yes. What I had to work with is what you see above. Right below the last line is "Oh, Susanna!" LOL! So, I just tried to follow the flow of the music, and put in a touch here and a touch there that seemed to fit. Thanks! smile

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
thumb
You made me curious when you asked in your OP if anybody knew what the silver cord was, that's why I checked. smile

By the way, that version I gave you is not even the original one, as I have just found out... I think this is the original one... It was written in 1883. I haven't checked it word for word, but it starts completely different...

I have no idea though if Newsman's version is somehow more popular, being in the collection I have instead of the original one...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Whoa, CA! Now that is really cool! Look at that arrangement! Grace notes and everything! The lyrics are all different, and are certainly direct... though the sentiment of the song is the same.

Very, very cool! Thank you so much for digging into this. You seem to have a librarian's heart! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, I love libraries! 3hearts I feel a little bit like Borges when I am in a library! smile

Thank YOU for giving me the opportunity to learn something! smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

O
O
Dear Andy! It's very nice!

I like collecting stamp and postcard.

Last Sunday I got some postcards, the one is "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye".

So by the internet search, I found here to enjoy your great playing and great singing!

This postcard was sent on Jy 12 1910.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BTW,I got another postcard. I scan it as follow.FYI.

[Linked Image]

My Email is Osbert_guo#Yahoo.com.cn
Please change # as @.

Last edited by osbert; 12/20/10 01:02 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Goodness gracious, I should have posted a response sooner! blush

Just to let everybody know, I e-mailed osbert on Christmas Day and asked him about the origins of this postcard. I was curious, since I thought the hymn was Australian, yet the postcard has a picture of Whistler's Mother (an American painting). Apparently, there was no origin given for this postcard, but osbert said other postcards from the batch he had just acquired were from "The Eventscope Music Postcard Series" published by B. Feldman & Co., London. (no date given)

Can anyone tell us more about postcards such as these, which featured a score? When were they used? How long were they popular? Etc.

Thanks!
--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 01/08/11 05:00 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Can anyone tell us more about postcards such as these, which featured a score? When were they used? How long were they popular? Etc.

Thanks!
--Andy

I am trying to find out, but all I have found so far is this:
http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/main,book-info/store,gifts/products_id,3823/title,Play-It-Again/
No details available...

Anyway, I think there were much better than e-mails! smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Anyway, I think there were much better than e-mails! smile
And just as immediate. I have one from my grandparents to each other when they were courting, which simply says "Meet you at the Post Office at 2 o'clock this afternoon." Says something about the quality of the postal service 100 years ago...

Du holde Kunst...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission