Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1501307 - 08/23/10 01:12 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: apple*]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Smoking stinks! My neighbours' entire family smokes and their backyard is facing ours, so whenever someone takes a smoke break it comes wafting into my house. Even the bedroom windows which face their yard. Grossest thing waking up to that smell.

Hard to tell them to stop, it is their right, unless I grow some massive trees to block it.

Another funny thing I see is after playing outdoor basketball, alot of the younger Asian players will smoke up during the break! Kind of defeats the purpose of working out.

My suggestion, do some hard exercise like sprints or heavy weight lifting. The endorphin kick may be a good substitute.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1501342 - 08/23/10 03:43 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Wizard of Oz]
Basia C. Offline

Loc: Sweden
Happy to hear about the ten day mark, Tangleweeds! thumb wow Some days you'll be in a good mood, and somedays you'll really be dying for a smoke, but hang in there! Come on, Tangleweeds!!!

#1501614 - 08/23/10 02:33 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Basia C.]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Good news -- at this point I seem to be more addicted to the internet than to nicotine! Last night we were responsibly irresponsible, and phoned the mothership to report that we were spending the night at my old friend's house, rather than drive home under the influence. And then we took the opportunity to thoroughly overindulge, guilt free.

And I really only had one bad nicotine craving, which tempted me out onto the porch to breathe some second-hand smoke while our host had a smoke (whereupon he grimly ordered dme back inside!). Amusingly, I was much, much more stressed out at being separated from my computer and internet umbilicus. Being a intoxicated and therefore no longer the sharpest knife in the drawer, I somehow conflated resisting nicotine addiction with resisting my internet addiction, until finally late in the evening, in a flash of light, it occurred to me that it was permissible for me to bum the use of a web browser before I passed out for the night. Ah, the relief... internet umbilicus re-established! Forget tobacco, I'm strung out on information!

Now I just need my piano cravings to resume...

neglected piano blog

#1501616 - 08/23/10 02:39 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Great news. And how cool that your host is enabling your QUIT syndrome laugh

The nice thing about your internet addiction is that *all* of us benefit from it smile

Cathy

#1501622 - 08/23/10 02:53 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: jotur]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Good work, Tangleweeds. Now treat yourself to something good, like a new book of sheet music. Reinforce yourself, you deserve it. (basic Pavlovian behaviour modification).

Estonia L190 #7284

#1501647 - 08/23/10 03:47 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: JimF]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations, tangleweeds! The hardest part is over... but you need to still be vigilant. Avoid triggers (e.g., smoky bars) and continually remind yourself of how grateful your loved ones (present AND future) will be that you took this step to ensure your health and longer life. heart

#1501701 - 08/23/10 05:12 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Monica K.]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In this, I am well versed. If you passed a night of drinking without smoking, you are easily 80% there. Next you will have a dream that you started smoking again and you will wake up grateful that it was just a dream. After that you need to make it through a significantly stressful event while maintaining the attitude that no matter what happens you're not going to smoke. That might not happen for a few months, so be vigilant. Calm is in order now, no back pats just yet. (Also, whack yourself in the thigh with your fist every time you get a craving. That helps.)

#1501784 - 08/23/10 06:23 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: bluekeys]
tangleweeds Offline

Originally Posted By: bluekeys
Next you will have a dream that you started smoking again and you will wake up grateful that it was just a dream.

Yes! I had those for months, when I quit smoking several years ago.
Quote:
(Also, whack yourself in the thigh with your fist every time you get a craving. That helps.)

I've had good luck with hyperventilating a little bit through pursed lips, as if smoking an invisible cigarette. Strangely effective, not sure why. But I don't argue with what works...
Quote:
maintaining the attitude that no matter what happens you're not going to smoke

There's definitely something key about maintaining a sense of closure regarding my relationship with cigarettes. I remember that from last time, that sense of being finished with it. It's that open-ended "Well maybe if..." that wakens the devils of temptation.

neglected piano blog

#1502090 - 08/24/10 03:35 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
Basia C. Offline

Oh, just continue reading the forums and I'm sure the piano cravings will appear. whistle How could they not?

#1502101 - 08/24/10 04:59 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Basia C.]
tangleweeds Offline

Actually, I'm quite hopeful that I'll be in for a good dose of piano-related excitement when I get back home to Portland from my visit to Seattle.

First, I've been continuing my hobby of hunting down inexpensive used copies of sheet music which catches my interest, and so a series of slow (but cheap!) media-mail packets have been wending their way toward Portland. I have been informed as each item arrives, but it's pretty abstract satisfaction to that an item has successfully completed its journey, when I can't examine it in detail and gloat over each item properly.

And on a much larger scale of anxiety and relief, there was an issue with my new PX-330, and after Casio was useless in even helping me fully diagnose the problem, Sweetwater swept in to the rescue. They emailed me a label to ship the problematic unit back to them for free, and the replacement arrived in Portland just a few days ago. I'm so glad I spent the extra $$ to buy from someplace with a good customer service policy!

So I have a plethora of highly interesting piano-related packages awaiting me upon my return. I can't imagine this failing to awaken some degree of pianistic compulsion on my part.

neglected piano blog

#1502113 - 08/24/10 05:39 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
Basia C. Offline

That's great news! It will be like Christmas when you get back. grin

#1502240 - 08/24/10 11:27 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
elecmuse3 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
OT re smoking, but good customer service is absolutely worth a bit more money.

Also, glad you mentioned media mail. For those who don't know, this is a long-standing US Postal Service special, reduced rate for media, which includes sheet music, books, and the like (ask them about what's eligible). It can be as little as 1/4 of the regular rate, very handy for heavy books. It does travel more slowly, however.

#1502813 - 08/25/10 04:38 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
Alagondar Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
After a number of cigarette-free years, last winter I got depressed and started smoking again. The unfortunate truth was that smoking did wonders for my mood, concentration & motivation (there's a reason why people take up such a nasty, stinky habit), and as a consequence, I'd been having a great spring/summer with my music practice, super motivated, very productive, lots of progress, lots of fun.

But smoking is unhealthy, expensive, and antisocial, so I've been trying to quit. After several unsuccessful attempts, I decided my local convenience store was just too convenient, so I came to visit a friend who lives out in the suburban hills outside Seattle, where one needs to drive miles to acquire anything. And I purposely stranded myself here without a car. It's actually been quite a successful strategy. I'm on my sixth day cold turkey and the intense physical cravings have pretty much tapered off. But...

Quitting has put me into a major musical slump. I brought my starter keyboard up here to practice on, but its power cord is still coiled up in my suitcase. I got some theory and other music-oriented books from the local library, which I've been perusing in a desultory way, but my brain isn't absorbing much. Sometimes I do some theory drills on the computer (my dweeby version of computer games), but that's about it. Well, I'm also wasting lots of time on the forums here, of course (BTW, y'all need to post more, because I keep running out of stuff to read... wink )

My friend/hostess assures me that I'm not being a cranky quitter, but inside myself I feel like a whiney little kid. My thoughts alternate between "I'm soooo bored!" and "But I don't wanna do that!" It's been so long since I"ve had to deal with motivational problems regarding my music, I don't quite remember what to do about it. I don't feel like it's a good time to take a vacation from my music, because its absence leaves a such big empty hole in my life. But I'm having the hardest time getting myself going with anything!

Not sure what I'm looking for here... reassurance that my concentration and motivation will come back someday? Interesting music blogs or sites to read in the meantime? Suggestions of easy and amusing music-related activities to placate my cranky inner child? Strategies you've used to get cranky children to practice their music? ("No cookies coffee until you practice!" wink )

I stopped smoking about 5 years ago. I had to actually think about it. I was a very heavy smoker for 20 years. Smoked rolled cigarettes out of a tobacco pouch (50 grams). About 50 cigs a day and I inhaled with each intake. The reason I quit was that I hated to be so dependant or enslaved by a cigarette.

First a reassurance: inspiration, motivation for playing piano WILL come back. Second listen to your body. It is your mind that craves nicotine not your body. Take a walk when you feel a crave coming up, focus on nature. It worked for me.

I applaud your effort.

#1503262 - 08/25/10 09:46 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans

And on a much larger scale of anxiety and relief, there was an issue with my new PX-330, and after Casio was useless in even helping me fully diagnose the problem, Sweetwater swept in to the rescue.

Last time we ordered from Sweetwater, they sent hard candies along with the package - they might rescue you from a craving or two! grin

#1503309 - 08/25/10 10:57 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: AimeeO]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
try drinking a shot of molasses.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1503316 - 08/25/10 11:23 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: apple*]
Jonathan Baker Online   content

Loc: New York City!
All the greatest pianists were smokers: Liszt, Anton Rubinstein, and Arthur Rubinstein smoked cigars. Rachmaninoff and Horowitz preferred cigarettes.

#1503498 - 08/26/10 09:20 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Jonathan Baker]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jonathan Baker
All the greatest pianists were smokers: Liszt, Anton Rubinstein, and Arthur Rubinstein smoked cigars. Rachmaninoff and Horowitz preferred cigarettes.

And how exactly does this help Tangleweeds quit smoking?

#1503548 - 08/26/10 10:50 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: rocket88]
tangleweeds Offline

By giving me a mental image of myself sitting at a grand piano puffing on a cigar? Effective deterrent, that...
(visualization aid: I am a middle-aged lady with very long hair)

neglected piano blog

#1503633 - 08/26/10 12:59 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Isaac_Alb%C3%A9niz%2C_1901.jpg

#1503634 - 08/26/10 01:00 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: TheHappyMoron]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1503666 - 08/26/10 02:19 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Jonathan Baker]
durden365 Offline

Loc: Canada

awesome, hidden benefit of smoking,

the best actors are also smokers, jack nicholson, johny depp, leonardo dicaprio...

DON'T SMOKE! i myself am trying to quit.

#1503669 - 08/26/10 02:23 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: durden365]
elecmuse3 Offline

And what of the great ones who didn't smoke? tiki

#1503670 - 08/26/10 02:25 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: elecmuse3]
elecmuse3 Offline

Had to add the tiki icon. I'm not trying to inflame a subject which is itself inflammatory ha

#1503672 - 08/26/10 02:26 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: elecmuse3]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i don't think Chopin smoked. what with consumption and everything.

Edited by TheCannibalHaddock (08/26/10 02:27 PM)

#1503691 - 08/26/10 03:00 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: AimeeO]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: AimeeO

And on a much larger scale of anxiety and relief, there was an issue with my new PX-330, and after Casio was useless in even helping me fully diagnose the problem, Sweetwater swept in to the rescue.

Last time we ordered from Sweetwater, they sent hard candies along with the package - they might rescue you from a craving or two! grin

I love sweetwater. I was so floored from the over-the-top customer service from my first order that I just go directly to them now for everything.

My CS rep called after my last order to make sure everything was working properly. I told them the music stand I ordered (for my digital) was working as intended. ha You can't beat that kind of customer service.

The candy is a nice little bonus too. smile

oops, sorry for the hijack. Stop smoking. laugh

#1513676 - 09/12/10 02:08 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
thumper49 Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did. I think I might have had an easier time of it if I had been playing the piano at the time. One of the big attractions of smoking was that it gave me something to do with my hands. There was something about the manipulation of the package, removing the cigarette, striking the match, etc., all the way to stubbing out the butt when finished. Playing the piano would have satisfied that need for something to do with my hands. Mind you, there was also the oral aspect, which I calmed down with peppermints, and ended up gaining 30 pounds in 4 months. It's been a constant struggle with weight ever since. But I'm not sorry I quit. I wish I had invested the dollars I burned up every day for 10 years. I could have been retired by now. Or been able to buy a grand piano . . . .

Be strong. You can do it.

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 4, second half

#1513842 - 09/12/10 02:28 PM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

I've been meaning to check in with my progress. Tomorrow (Sept 13) I will have been cigarette free for a month (I celebrated my 4 week anniversary on Friday as well -- I'm going for all the positive re-enforcement I can get).

I wish I could report that it's been easy and wonderful, but in reality I've had a pretty bad musical slump since quitting. I've managed to entice myself to the piano most days, but my practice has lost the structure and momentum that it had before I quit. I've needed to step back and re-frame my assessment of my piano time, so instead of measuring the work I've done each day and judging it for quality and quantity, I now simply give myself a big gold star for any time at all spent at the piano.

Nicotine acts as a stimulant in mammals, and my body is still missing the energy that habitual use of this stimulant provided. I have had to accept that it will need time to re-establish a physiological equilibrium that allows me to feel energetic and motivated without regular doses of nicotine. I can tell that this has begun to happen, but unfortunately it seems to be a slow process.

neglected piano blog

#1514101 - 09/13/10 02:25 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

Wow, what a depressing post. I should also mention the silver lining of this cloudy-headed month, which is that I've been doing more music reading than I've ever done before. The only piano activity I've been much interested in doing is reading/playing (stumbling through) my sheet music collection.

When I was up around Seattle detoxing at my friend's house, I kept missing sheet music I owned but didn't have with me. I'd brought a keyboard and some pretty well chosen music, but I kept having urges to test my improving reading abilities against music I had left in Portland.

So when I got home and was joyfully reunited with my sheet music stash, I decided that I needed to reorganize it all to make the currently readable/playable stuff easier to locate. And of course many items turned out to require more in-depth, at-the-piano testing of readability.

So that's how I got myself to play piano while I felt totally cranky and unmotivated.

I think I'm starting to come out of it now, since I find myself working on coming up with some sort gently structured study plan to suit my detoxifying brain.

Edited by tangleweeds (09/13/10 02:29 AM)
Edit Reason: grammar

neglected piano blog

#1514104 - 09/13/10 02:45 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: Jonathan Baker]
jlynne Offline

They're all dead, too. Just sayin' . . .

Hang in there Tangleweeds. I'm green with envy. I've tried to quit a thousand times - and I will succeed - eventually.

#1514105 - 09/13/10 02:47 AM Re: Virtue sucks... [Re: tangleweeds]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Well you know it takes about 4 weeks to make or break a habit - you are now really on your way.

Hang in there.
As for encouragment whenever you need it.
My husband quite smoking 20 years ago and still, every now and then he wants a cigarette. I do my best to distract him with other treats.......so far so good, he's still smoke free.

Continue to detoxify - you can only feel better!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (accordeur, AEMontoya, 88 Fingers Jeff, A Guy, 43 invisible), 1398 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76007 Members
42 Forums
157167 Topics
2308272 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
58 minutes 59 seconds ago
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
Today at 04:51 PM
Portable keyboard stand for Kawai ES7
by gbitw
Today at 04:24 PM
Recital Piece to go with Fur Elise
by eccp19
Today at 03:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission