Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1499375 - 08/19/10 04:28 PM Henle Cloth-bound Editions
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA
What are the advantages of the Henle cloth-bound editions over the paper-bound ones? I am thinking of treating myself to the Beethoven Sonatas.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1499390 - 08/19/10 04:48 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: the nosy ape]
JGonzalezGUS Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Never had one (could not afford it frown

Let me know if they are easier to learn smile

#1499407 - 08/19/10 05:13 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: JGonzalezGUS]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I've had the Beethoven Sonatas in the cloth-bound editions since I was a kid. The binding is still strong and the pages look like new 20 years later.

#1499411 - 08/19/10 05:23 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: JGonzalezGUS]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
One advantage is that it will make your pocketbook lighter. Other than that it's like buying a hardbound book. They're fantastic really and I own a few dozen of them. Keep in mind, however, that they don't always sit open quite as nicely on the piano's music stand as do the paper bound and after spending extra dollars for them you're probably not going to want to use them as a "working" edition. They are quite nice (some come with slipcases) and will make a nice treat for yourself! Enjoy!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1499415 - 08/19/10 05:25 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: jeffreyjones]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Yeah they just stay good longer, however they are also more expensive. I have the paperbounds as study books, but will buy the clothbounds later for performance.

#1499419 - 08/19/10 05:31 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: Victor25]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Victor25
Yeah they just stay good longer, however they are also more expensive. I have the paperbounds as study books, but will buy the clothbounds later for performance.

You use the score for performances?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1499423 - 08/19/10 05:38 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: stores]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Originally Posted By: stores
One advantage is that it will make your pocketbook lighter. Other than that it's like buying a hardbound book. They're fantastic really and I own a few dozen of them. Keep in mind, however, that they don't always sit open quite as nicely on the piano's music stand as do the paper bound and after spending extra dollars for them you're probably not going to want to use them as a "working" edition. They are quite nice (some come with slipcases) and will make a nice treat for yourself! Enjoy!

I use mine as working editions.. it would be silly to buy books I couldn't use! I don't have any others besides the Beethoven Sonatas, but then again, I've had to slowly replace most of my library as the books have fallen apart, so in the long run, they're probably a good investment for a serious player.

#1499427 - 08/19/10 05:44 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: jeffreyjones]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
A lot of people use the score for performances, even professionals.

I love clothbound editions. I love hardbound editions too. I get all my editions hardbound at the library hehe.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1499428 - 08/19/10 05:46 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: jeffreyjones]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones

I use mine as working editions.. it would be silly to buy books I couldn't use! I don't have any others besides the Beethoven Sonatas, but then again, I've had to slowly replace most of my library as the books have fallen apart, so in the long run, they're probably a good investment for a serious player.

You're right that it would be silly (I use mine as working editions also and am lucky to have doubles of many scores...the doubles being paper) but most don't want to spend that kind of money on something that they'll "beat up".

♪ ≠ $

#1499430 - 08/19/10 05:47 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: debrucey]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: debrucey
A lot of people use the score for performances, even professionals.

Who? I can't recall the last time I've seen anyone with a score.

♪ ≠ $

#1499629 - 08/20/10 12:13 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: stores]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
The only cloth bound I have is the complete Beethovens, and they are lovely. Lucky enough to inherit these long before I could play any beethoven, only later found out how expensive they are.
But it doesn't seem to make playing them any easier wink I take a working photocopy to my lessons since I ride my bike up a huge hill (and I am heavy enough), later I put my final fingerings/markings in the book, then I can maintain or revive pieces using the books - that's the plan anyway.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1499674 - 08/20/10 03:15 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: stores]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Is this a question?

#1499695 - 08/20/10 04:39 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: Victor25]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Is this a question?

Quite often when one adds a question mark to the end of a sentence it's to signify the presence of a question.

♪ ≠ $

#1499733 - 08/20/10 07:08 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: stores]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I say I will buy the clothbounds later for performance, then you ask if I use the score for performances.....

It seemed more like you wanted to give your critique or something, because the question you asked was already answered in my first post. Was this your intent? Or didn't you understand from my first sentence that my plan was to buy the clothbounds later, to use during performance?

Edited by Victor25 (08/20/10 07:46 AM)

#1499737 - 08/20/10 07:18 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: Victor25]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Joanna MacGregor regularly uses the score. I saw Pierre Laurent-Aimard use a score for Gaspard de la Nuit once. Chamber music performers almost always use the score.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1499802 - 08/20/10 10:20 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: stores]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

The cloth-bound editions run about $20 more per volume. Since this will be a birthday present to myself the added expense is not a big deal. However, how well they sit open is a big deal. This is one of the things I really like about my other Henle editions. How much worse are the cloth-bound editions? I already find the paper-bound editions to be quite durable so how well the sit open may be the deciding factor.

#1499808 - 08/20/10 10:37 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: the nosy ape]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have the full (paperbound) collection from Henle of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn and Chopin, and all of them stay open perfectly.

#1499812 - 08/20/10 10:42 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: the nosy ape]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Given that Henle paper-bound editions, with proper, reasonable care, are extremely durable, the only advantage I can see to having cloth-bound editions is that of appearance. I don't have any experience with Henle cloth-bounds, but the few cloth-bounds I have from other publishers do tend to be a little less manageable on the music stand than well-bound paper editions.

Cloth-bound will certainly look nice on the shelves, though, just as do my leather-bound Éditions de la Pléiade of certain major works of French literature. Those works could have been bought in much, much cheaper editions, but the luxury of handling a leather-bound edition printed on extremely fine paper is an indulgence I have allowed myself.

That said, I don't think I could bring myself to using a cloth-bound Henle as a working copy, but that's just me, I guess.

Regards,

#1500041 - 08/20/10 05:52 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: Victor25]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I say I will buy the clothbounds later for performance, then you ask if I use the score for performances.....

It seemed more like you wanted to give your critique or something, because the question you asked was already answered in my first post. Was this your intent? Or didn't you understand from my first sentence that my plan was to buy the clothbounds later, to use during performance?

No critique...It just seemed as if you meant you used paper bound for working and then you buy the clothbound for performance. Just a misunderstanding in the wording you used is all.

♪ ≠ $

#1500047 - 08/20/10 06:06 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: the nosy ape]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: the nosy ape

The cloth-bound editions run about $20 more per volume. Since this will be a birthday present to myself the added expense is not a big deal. However, how well they sit open is a big deal. This is one of the things I really like about my other Henle editions. How much worse are the cloth-bound editions? I already find the paper-bound editions to be quite durable so how well the sit open may be the deciding factor.

You're right that the cost is fairly marginal, but keep in mind there are two volumes. My point here was that most people don't necessarily want to shell out $100 for all 32 at once. They are, as I said (and Bruce I notice did too), somewhat difficult to keep open on the stand. With the extra expense you don't want to have to crease your pages, or grab a bottom corner (perhaps crumpling or tearing it in the process) to turn a page back. I'm not at all discouraging you from purchasing them, but just giving you a bit of a heads up. If I were you and wanted to treat myself I'd buy them.

♪ ≠ $

#1500049 - 08/20/10 06:07 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: stores]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No critique...It just seemed as if you meant you used paper bound for working and then you buy the clothbound for performance. Just a misunderstanding in the wording you used is all.

Ahh ok, then I understand, I was afraid you were going to make a snobby comment about my performing with sheets (I wasn't used to this from you, so that was why I was surprised). But my apologies then. And to answer your question, yes my idea was to keep the paperbound one's as 'workbooks', with lots of tips and examinations in them, and to have a good looking clothbound to use for performance.

#1500067 - 08/20/10 06:38 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: Victor25]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ahh ok, then I understand, I was afraid you were going to make a snobby comment about my performing with sheets (I wasn't used to this from you, so that was why I was surprised). But my apologies then. And to answer your question, yes my idea was to keep the paperbound one's as 'workbooks', with lots of tips and examinations in them, and to have a good looking clothbound to use for performance.

It wouldn't have been a snobby comment, but yes I was going to ask why it is that you use the score, rather than memorise for performance. Just curious.

♪ ≠ $

#1500263 - 08/21/10 01:46 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: stores]
Mattardo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Of COURSE he was going to make a snobby comment about memorizing - that was fairly obvious.
But moving on past that silliness, which is appropriate for another thread...

I recently got some cloth-bound hard-cover editions from Henle and they are fantastic!
The Brahms Violin Sonatas edition lay open perfectly, are great for performance and will probably last longer in such a situation. I find that the paper editions can take a pretty severe beating at times.
This is the first time I've used these editions, and I will be spending the extra money from now on when possible. I don't mind a few nicks on the cover from heavy usage in performance. They're meant to be used, in my opinion.
I'll be getting the Beethoven Violin Sonata Editions next, but I must wait for the new edition (or reprinting - whichever it is) this October.

So there's a ringing endorsement on all counts for you.

Edited by Mattardo (08/21/10 01:47 AM)

#1514868 - 09/14/10 11:25 AM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: the nosy ape]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, I got the cloth bound editions and have been using them for a little while now. I must say that they are fantastic. If anything, they stay open on the music stand better than my paper editions, and they look so good sitting in my bookcase. My wife had a bit of sticker shock, but nothing life threatening wink.

#1514895 - 09/14/10 12:19 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: the nosy ape]
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland

Generally, cloth bound books should lay open better than paperacks. To understand why, clothbound books are held together with threads, being sew together with the thread inserted through the center of the folds. Softbound (paperback) books have the folds cut off, then notched and coated with glue (generally very quick drying hot glue) and the cover immediately attached.

Because a sewn book retains the original folds, it will open flatter than a book that has the folds removed, notches cut into it and glue forced into those grooves.

I owned a bookbindery for 30 years that produced millions of books using both types of bindings, as well as plastic and wire bindings. I generally buy paperback music books and have them plastic bound at Staples or Office Depot for a couple of dollars each.

If I were to purchase cloth bound books I would use them for reference and display only. I treat clothbound books very lovingly! 3hearts

Having said the above, a recent trend (30 years) is to use the glued method even for clothbound books as it is much less expensive.

#1515043 - 09/14/10 03:36 PM Re: Henle Cloth-bound Editions [Re: Bart Kinlein]
coz Offline

Loc: United States
I've had both and prefer the paperback versions for practicing. I feel that they open flatter than the hard bound Henle editions. Paper is identical and you can't go wrong either way.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (Asmodeus, Akshay, adanepst, ando, angelsong, 23 invisible), 1217 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249686 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission