Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1497369 - 08/16/10 06:29 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: Smallpiano]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Jeez, between all the self aggrandizing and the annoying platitudes this thread's
***REALLY AWESOME*** (as they say). Or have I inadvertently surfed into Platitude World?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1497441 - 08/16/10 08:39 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
In my mind the ideas of the original post have it backwards. Music is a gift that I give TO the students, not the other way around.

It's important not to confuse lack of teaching skill, lack of useful development of the child or adult by teacher, parents, environment of school and home, with lack of potential or talent in "jenny". Hell, I WAS Jenny!!!

Currawong, I had a little moment like that with an adult student this week. It's our job to be patient and persisten and positive, and try many many ways to draw the music out of the student. Oh it's so exciting when a flash of real beauty is seen... Made me pretty happy.

To Steve042, don't feel bad about not reading and unusual technique for teaching, you can teach in a different way and will attract the clients that are interested. Much more important is believing in all your students, being committed to their musicality for their sakes not yours, and really loving the art of teaching. If you can't do/feel this then your other questioning of your abilities may not be very important IMO.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1497453 - 08/16/10 08:52 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: Canonie]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Steve042, are you wanting to be a teacher? Or is this discussion an exploration of whether teaching is possible at all?
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1497584 - 08/17/10 12:55 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: Elissa Milne]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I don't know where I got that idea, maybe I thought steve was trying to teach jennys which happen to be his own kids. Apologies for assuming. But I could apply the point to the "anyones" who wants to give up on the "musically untalented".

Originally Posted By: steve042
Sure he can play anything you put down in front of him and I can't but it still sounds like crap.
He can teach, I can't because all I can tell a student is "look for the source Luke".
<...>
after 10 years of my 3 kids trying to play various instruments (they can't)

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1497649 - 08/17/10 04:56 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: Canonie]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi Elissa,

Forgive me for going on about the "spatial" bit ... but for an architect, this is home territory (that’s of course if the dreamer is worth his salt).

Thinking spatially is not at all easy ... it took me 3 initial years before the mast to eventually cotton on to the fact that spatial thinking was the core of architectural design ... without it, the world remains 2 dimensional ... but what encouragement when the old brain-box learns how to think in 3-dimensions ... and spin any design concept around in the mind.

And so my disbelief at the very thought of a 6-year-old being taught to think spatially.

But enough for now ... let me get to my medication.

#1497656 - 08/17/10 05:33 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: btb]
keyboardklutz Offline

Good one Sir b! though Elissa's probable thinking more in the kinesthetic direction.

#1497969 - 08/17/10 03:01 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
btb, all good: now you've contextualised your response I know better how to explain.

In mathematics the ability to reason spatially is regarded as being about thinking about shapes, how they fit into other shapes, how they can be manipulated - and in this context 'spatial' reasoning can be two-dimensional, but the term is being used to distinguish being able to think about shapes in space as compared to being able to think in a deductive fashion, or in terms of other non-spatial kinds of patterns. The research that shows that children improve their 'spatial' reasoning is looking at these specific mathematical applications of the term 'spatial' and I'm sure there's been no research on children's ability to think in more applied architectural sense of 'spatial' although of course these two kinds of spatial reasoning are not unconnected.

I've just googled 'spatial reasoning' and the first test that came up was this :

There is a good and growing body of research that shows that learning to play the piano helps children improve their scores in these kinds of tests.

I'm not sure how this relates to the process of thinking spatially as an architect, and again let me stress, I'm not a researcher into the intellectual benefits of learning to play the piano, so it's no skin off my nose if you find the research surprising/laughable. But if parents have read reports about a connection between learning the piano and doing better in spatial reasoning and that's why they have organised piano lessons for their child - they won't care much if little Jenny isn't that great a performer.
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1498087 - 08/17/10 06:01 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: btb]
kck Offline

Originally Posted By: btb

And so my disbelief at the very thought of a 6-year-old being taught to think spatially.

Not to totally shake your world, but some people very naturally think spatially. My 9 year old hit the ceiling on the visual-spatial portion of an IQ test which involved moving objects in space and the like. My husband and I are very much this way as well (I studied architecture for a time and this was nothing I ever worked on). If you ask my son to learn things more linearly, that might confuse him however. He is also a very natural piano player, but I don't think I'd let the OP evaluate his playing. wink

A person need only google "music education benefits" to find lots of wonderful reasons to engage your kids in piano lessons. I personally enjoy piano recitals from the littlest kids banging out single note one hand tunes to the longest Mozart Sonatas. It represents much hard work and commitment. I've watched some kids over years have a very slow start and bloom into competent and artistic musicians. They might not have the natural talent some have. But they've developed an ear and perseverance that not many have either. Very few can be professional pianists.

I'll be holding my breath waiting for the OP's video to be posted.

#1498116 - 08/17/10 06:44 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: kck]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: kck
Originally Posted By: btb

Not to totally shake your world, but some people very naturally think spatially. My 9 year old hit the ceiling on the visual-spatial portion of an IQ test which involved moving objects in space and the like. My husband and I are very much this way as well (I studied architecture for a time and this was nothing I ever worked on). If you ask my son to learn things more linearly, that might confuse him however. He is also a very natural piano player, but I don't think I'd let the OP evaluate his playing. wink

A person need only google "music education benefits" to find lots of wonderful reasons to engage your kids in piano lessons. I personally enjoy piano recitals from the littlest kids banging out single note one hand tunes to the longest Mozart Sonatas. It represents much hard work and commitment. I've watched some kids over years have a very slow start and bloom into competent and artistic musicians. They might not have the natural talent some have. But they've developed an ear and perseverance that not many have either. Very few can be professional pianists.

I'll be holding my breath waiting for the OP's video to be posted.

+1

#1498118 - 08/17/10 06:44 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: kck]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
THIS THREAD IS AWESOME!

#1498329 - 08/18/10 02:03 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: Victor25]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Sorry chaps,

Can’t help thinking that space is 3-dimensional ... am tickled pink to hear that a young Dutch airline pilot (who likes his Beethoven sonatas) considers this thread awesome ... he’s still to master the Moonlight 3rd movement (but from all accounts, it won’t be long).

#1498364 - 08/18/10 03:45 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: btb]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bach
Mozart
Beethoven
Chopin
Liszt
Vladimir Horowitz
Glenn Gould
Keith Jarret
Duke Ellington
Lang Lang
Judy Collins
Lady Gaga
........ALL had extensive lessons. Among hundreds of others. The extent to which their inborn gifts helped them develop into what they were only rests on top of the fact that they had this foundation.

I don't dispute the fact that some people - no matter how hard they work or how well they are taught - just don't have it and will not amount to so much musically. But is it so audacious to think that perhaps there is something in the PROCESS of trying to learn something that can help one grow in other ways? God knows that I have no aptitude in mathematics, but is it so outrageous to think that all those years that is was shoved down my throat in k-12 possibly helped develop a sense of problem solving, a certain patience, the act of critical thinking, and, most importantly - an admiration and I daresay even love - for the art of math itself and those who excell at it?

Also you're going to have to post some recordings of yourself if you want to be taken half seriously.

Edited by Opus_Maximus (08/18/10 04:05 AM)

#1498518 - 08/18/10 10:53 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: Opus_Maximus]
hippymusicman Offline

hahahaha! This thread reminds me of the musical genius thread.. everyone wanted some proof! proof.. proof.. proof.. and only then they will consider what is being said...

Why not just listen to what he's saying.. and take what he's saying with a grain of salt..
And also apply the same rule with all other people of all different classes and status levels..
You don't have to call it right or wrong... just listen!!

we learn a lot from ideas of others...
we also learn about others from the ideas they share...
So don't judge .. just learn.

#1498523 - 08/18/10 10:59 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: hippymusicman]
keyboardklutz Offline

Learning is about discrimination. If you don't judge you don't learn - put that in your pipe!

#1498546 - 08/18/10 11:48 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: keyboardklutz]
hippymusicman Offline

I did consider it.. and it seems we have a difference in opinion.

#1498551 - 08/18/10 11:52 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: hippymusicman]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: hippymusicman
You mean you made a considered judgement?

#1498569 - 08/18/10 12:18 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: keyboardklutz]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz

#1498583 - 08/18/10 12:27 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: keyboardklutz]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz

This is all sounding very familiar .....

Like the saying goes:

"if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"

Edited by bitWrangler (08/18/10 12:29 PM)

#1498644 - 08/18/10 02:03 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: bitWrangler]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
YES, this thread is AWESOME. thumb

And now we can have the genius lecturing our OP on the finer points of ego. sick

I put the over/under at 7 pages for those inclined to wagering. cool

(all wagers cancelled if OP posts playing video) f

Estonia L190 #7284

#1498793 - 08/18/10 05:12 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: JimF]
JustAnotherPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
My own personal theory is that the OP is actually just GYRO using an alternate account.

in which case,

don't feed the troll. this thread has already seen him ruthlessly devour family upon family of billy goats.

#1498802 - 08/18/10 05:22 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: JustAnotherPianist]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Easy does it, Gyro is not a troll.

#1499063 - 08/19/10 03:16 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: landorrano]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'll bet you big $ the OP isn't Gyro. This guy says he's a natural, Gyro said he waded through 3 jazz books and couldn't learn a thing.

He comes of as a braggart, but maybe music's all he's got. Certainly not tennis! haha, just kidding man.

I think most wouldn't even be that impressed with his playing anyways, just annoyed at his boasts of musical talent. People who know they are good usually don't need to say it.

#1499064 - 08/19/10 03:17 AM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: Wizard of Oz]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

oh and welcome back "Mr Musical genius" hippoman!!!

Maybe you 2 guys can play a duet together and talk about how easy it is for you!

#1499316 - 08/19/10 02:20 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: SteveO42]
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
There is a book I'm reading "Talent is Overrated." You should read it. I'm not at home now and can't remember the author but I'd bet you could find it on Amazon.

#1499448 - 08/19/10 06:10 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: SAnnM AB-2001]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: IPIBAHN - Sandy
There is a book I'm reading "Talent is Overrated." You should read it. I'm not at home now and can't remember the author but I'd bet you could find it on Amazon.

I haven't read it, but I like the title. I have had many talented students who refused to learn.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1499513 - 08/19/10 07:56 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: Morodiene]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin.

We discussed this particular book back in November last year. You can search using the author's name to find comments I wrote. I believe others read the book and added comments later on.

#1499517 - 08/19/10 08:01 PM Re: Can you actually "teach" someone to play the piano? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

That title could aptly describe a few dozen or so sports "prodigies" that I can think of. Michelle Wie anyone?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
60 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, bennevis, AndrewJCW, Allard, 19 invisible), 1203 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295086 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission