2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 341 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 340 341
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> Mehldau
I had a hint you'd say that... But Brad was just a teenager when this album came out.

This is a pianist that really came out late 70s, in the midst of everyone switching to electronic music, he just kept going with straight jazz, blowing super modern sounding lines.

I have a feeling there are a few of his albums that you might enjoy...

I feel like him and Tyner are the strongest influences on younger pianists.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Very educational and humbling. I'll have to listen again.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
the side effect of this little game is that I just ended up buying another 2 albums from this mystery artist, and one Bill Charlap (who, on the cover, looks a heck of a lot like Mehldau). I'll give a hint in an hour or 2 ...

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The buying of albums seems to be a big effect for sure. I'm sure I will buy more than Charlap/Rosnes in the end. BTW - upon listening to the whole album, the two pianos can get awfully busy. I actually ended up liking the ones with more space which was very few.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I give up. It really is close to Mehldau's style although the signature endings aren't there. It isn't one of Mehldau's teachers (Werner, Hersch). Whoever it is, it is someone I need to listen to.

All the players with a similar style that I know are younger.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kenny Barron.

This is on an album called 'What if?' (1986). The tune is Phantoms. I haven't worked out the changes or anything, but that sounds pretty wild.
http://www.emusic.com/album/Kenny-Barron-What-If-MP3-Download/11319570.html

Great Albums. Green Chimneys in the same era is also great.
I just bought 'Canta Brasil' and 'The Traveler' that are more recent. I have yet to really listen ...

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Wow - that did not sound like Kenny Barron. He's more versatile than I ever imagined. I just saw him live around spring and he has such a beautiful piano touch. I think I mentioned it here because he was actually playing my teacher's tune.

You know he played with Mehldau and together you can see the contrast in styles. But yet here he and Mehldau sound similar. I was listening to some Mehldau last night and there's a lot of similarity here with this clip. I haven't heard anything from Barron that sounds like this before.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Interesting. I initially thought it could be Brad, something about the understated feel of the swing, the articulation of the notes. But then I thought it was too harmonically safe, and there is that lick at the end of the clip that is a bit McCoy or Herbie-esque. It's pretty hard to tell with such a short clip, maybe if we had the whole solo to work with. I probably wouldn't have got it anyway though.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
JW, good job with giant steps. It sounds much more comfortable and your time is more solid as well. You are getting better at a fast rate.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well Wizzie,

I bought one Bill Charlap, now how I am supposed to not buy all of the others ??

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
JW, good job with giant steps. It sounds much more comfortable and your time is more solid as well. You are getting better at a fast rate.

Hey Beeboss, thanks for the nice words. I was just realizing that even articulation issues are all tied to having good time (at the microscopic level). I wish there are shortcuts.

It also seems that working on something as hard as GS seems to cause more improvement than playing something simpler over and over. So this may be a regular development platform then for me.

Next recording to post is Falling Grace. What a complete difference in style. smile

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee

Hey Beeboss, thanks for the nice words. I was just realizing that even articulation issues are all tied to having good time (at the microscopic level). I wish there are shortcuts.

Well the realization that the timing of the release of the notes is just as important os the moment when they are struck at least. Playing the left hand chord quietly and staccato can give the illusion of a crisp swing when playing the chords too long and loud gives the opposite effect for instance.

It also seems that working on something as hard as GS seems to cause more improvement than playing something simpler over and over. So this may be a regular development platform then for me.

We will have to disagree on this one. My view is that if one wants to improve say timing then all of the brain needs to be concentrated on just that, so this is best done on a very very simple form or just one chord. Then again one needs to stretch different aspects of our playing as well so I guess it is just about having a balanced schedule.

Look forward to falling grace.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, LOL. You're being too gentle. No need to mince words. I'll rephrase it for you
"Play that left chord softly and staccato so it gives you a crisp swing..."

This is a perennial weakness of mine and things for bringing it up. It just means, I keep neglecting LH practice on doing exactly this. But it was worse before because my LH was so underdeveloped.

As far as playing complex vs. simple, the issue I find is that when I do something simple, it sounds fine. The lapses in articulation happen during transitions and if I am too aware of what will follow next, the problem (the one I'm aware of) doesn't happen.

So now, I've approached it by causing the problem to occur by playing in the context of complexity. I record it. I hear an articulation issue. Typically it's a hesitation or indecision which then causes some fingering issue or unevenness. Then I go back and now repeat the line until it's solved. Thus in a way, I'm simplifying it in that context. It's tedious though since obviously the number of permutations and combinations of this approach is horrenduously large.

I've just started doing this recently because I'm not liking what I hear.

I wish there were shortcuts were someone can just tell me to do somethng like "Hanon #2 and #3 and the problem will be solved". smile If there is, let me know.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Beeboss, LOL. You're being too gentle. No need to mince words. I'll rephrase it for you
"Play that left chord softly and staccato so it gives you a crisp swing..."

JW, sorry I didn't mean YOU needed to make your left hand soft and staccato, only that I had noticed that when I play it like that it sounds better.

As far as playing complex vs. simple, the issue I find is that when I do something simple, it sounds fine.

Maybe that means you are not paying close enough attention. I feel it is very very difficult even to play extremely simple things absolutely perfectly. Try it, play the simplest piece of Mozart perfectly - it is far from easy. Or a mid tempo blues in F could be the jazz equivalent.

I wish there were shortcuts were someone can just tell me to do somethng like "Hanon #2 and #3 and the problem will be solved". If there is, let me know.

There is no shortcut but more technique can help. Doing more rhythm exercises can help as well.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, I think you misunderstand me. I like you to be BRUTAL. I'm not going to learn when everyone says "nice job". I can hear for myself that it's not a nice job. Although yes, I know I get better each time. So no need to sugarcoat with me.

As far as "simple" and "paying attention", I understand what you're saying. But it's a matter, I suppose of what I'm working on. If I'm working on picking notes for a solo, it will probably be started slow as you say.

GS as you know is more of a problem of keeping up with the changes, so I guess it's a different exercise. It's not really a good platform for technique development.

I'm having more comfort as time goes by with the note picking part of the equation so it appears that most of the development is needed more on technique and rhythm.

What rhythm exercises do you mean? For technique, I guess my staple is still scales.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

What rhythm exercises do you mean? For technique, I guess my staple is still scales.

I try to do different ones all the time. Sometimes some slow pulse things, sometimes playing tunes in 5 and 7, sometimes tapping out cross rhythms, sometimes hand independence, soloing over an ostinato pattern maybe, or running different groupings of triplets over a sequence etc etc
I try to do some Hanon everyday for technique and lots of other different exercises, different ones, thirds, octaves, trills, strengthening for the weak fingers. etc Just the usual stuff. It's all good.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well your technique is finely honed like a sharp knife. I'm just wondering which has the best payback in time. My teacher has me doing an exercise with two stretched hands and alternating two fingers play legato. I hear it's a jazzy modification of something called a Rachmaninoff exercise, which I've never actually found anywhere. So this has helped me with the legato side.

The only rhythmic practice I've done aside from actual improvising is playing counter rhythms is scale practice. 1:2, 1:3, 1:4.

When I listened to the Charlap/Rosnes track, it really drew my attention to how far I sound from that. And how precise their rhythm is with every note and how precise they control their swing. I realize that a lot of jazz players play for decades and they still don't sound like that. Then it reminded me of the young Israeli boy that was swinging like a pro and so I realized it must be possible to learn. I'm just having to search for it by trial and error and that boy could hear it already.

Sometimes I hear I can do it for brief moments so it tells me that I just have to learn to keep it up. That's why I was working on articulation for a bit.

My Jazz Blog

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
...My teacher has me doing an exercise with two stretched hands and alternating two fingers play legato. I hear it's a jazzy modification of something called a Rachmaninoff exercise, which I've never actually found anywhere. So this has helped me with the legato side.

Jazzwee, FYI, Scot Ranney's book (Jazz Piano Notebook) includes a stretching excercise called the Rachmaninoff exercise. He says George Cables taught it to him. There was some discussion of it on LJP some time ago.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
ha everything Beeboss writes must be brutalized, he is extra polite because he’s from Southern England – whereas Americans and ozzies tend to be more direct !
Beeboss, I found it interesting when you said that playing the left hand staccato helps contribute towards a swing-like sound. Does that mean that you play a LH chord ever so slightly shorter than the value of a whole note ?

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by knotty
Well Wizzie,

I bought one Bill Charlap, now how I am supposed to not buy all of the others ??

haha, I'd buy more Renee Rosnes albums, she's the better player!

Page 73 of 341 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission