2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
OP Offline
P
Wow those are some interesting stories. I didn't know who Jessye Norman was, but I googled her and evidently she's big in opera. I couldn't help but giggle at her decisiveness when firing you. It's all good though buddy.

That Sonata in B minor is pretty long, I can understand how he may have forgotten some of it. Wow though, how could you never perform from memory? Unless you have very good sight-reading skills, that must be a difficult task.. I think that inevitably if you practice something enough, you'll end up memorizing it. That happened when I was trying to sightread Bach, but decided not to look at the score. I guess it's always good to have the score for confirmation.. as long as it doesn't hold you back.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is one of our most interesting threads.
We even got some autobiographical info out of Stores! ha

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I was accompanying a friend one time, a long time ago. Just before we walked out on stage, she hissed, "Hurry up! Go change your shoes!" It was a formal affair, and in my rush I had forgotten I was wearing a ratty old pair of runners and old sweat socks that were full of holes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So many drama from not having the sheet frown Thats one thing they sure did better in Vivaldi - Mendelssohn's time.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I was in the middle of accompanying a violin sonata, and suddenly I had to sneeze. So what could I do? I turned to the page turner and did what I had to, without missing a beat. They both gave me the most shocked look for a second, then went on with the job at hand.

I've often had to sneeze during practise, but fortunately never in a performance! I wonder what I'd have to do . . .

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Victor25
So many drama from not having the sheet frown Thats one thing they sure did better in Vivaldi - Mendelssohn's time.

Are you saying that pianists in the "old days" memorized better? Actually, I read that Clara Schumann was the first one to perform without the score. Although, keyboardists had memorized their music before (as people are saying, it is hard not to), they still performed with the score.

After a couple of unsuccessful restarts, he stood up and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm unable to continue this performance. Let's start intermission a little early and I'll try to make it up to you in the second half."

I'm impressed with how he handled it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto

Are you saying that pianists in the "old days" memorized better? Actually, I read that Clara Schumann was the first one to perform without the score. Although, keyboardists had memorized their music before (as people are saying, it is hard not to), they still performed with the score.

I'm saying that in the "old days" people always performed with score. Mendelssohn was known to be able to play everything from memory, however he always played with score, as he deemed it arrogant to play without it. What a wise man laugh. So kind to those who can play, but have trouble memorizing.

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Right! Pianists and singers are the only ones who perform without the score regularly. It's not fair because the other instrumentalists get to use the music...I'm not sure why it became standard. But I feel like when I memorize a piece I know it better, and I can concentrate on musical aspects instead of being worried about the notes.

J
J
My feeling is that everyone can do what they want or feel more comfortable with; as for me, a piece gets memorized WAY BEFORE I'm able to play it decently. I guess it 'gets into' my brain before it gets into my fingers....

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
M
M
in the "old days" people always performed with score.

in the "old days" people also had to improvise a lot, I think it's easier to play without a score than to get the King in the audience give you a theme and improvise on the spot a 4 voice fugue on it knowing that if you mess it up you're likely going to be fired wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I really have no idea what one has to do with the other.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoman6584
[h]ow could you never perform from memory? Unless you have very good sight-reading skills, that must be a difficult task.. I think that inevitably if you practice something enough, you'll end up memorizing it. That happened when I was trying to sightread Bach, but decided not to look at the score. I guess it's always good to have the score for confirmation.. as long as it doesn't hold you back.

I was actually able to memorize -- and perform reliably from memory -- through my younger years. At the time I decided to start using scores in performance, my memorization skills were still good. I just decided I wasn't going to subject myself or my audience to the crash-and-burn risk my teacher had experienced. To this day, I don't feel like a piece is ready to performa until I've gpttogo it mostly memoriaed.

Phil Bjorlo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[Sorry about the two-part post; the keyboard on my other computer started acting up. Starting over with the last sentence:]

To this day, I don't feel like a piece is ready to perform until I have it mostly memorized. In fact, some parts of pieces are so physically demanding and require such constant contact between your eyes and the keyboard that you couldn't possibly play them at speed unless you had them memorized. It's not a matter of "sight-reading" when you perform; it's more a matter of using the score as a friendly, familiar aide memoire to keep your mind in the music.

Other posts in this thread and on the topic of memorization over the years have suggested that you aren't being true to the music unless you've memorized it. I see it in just the opposite way -- that playing with a score liberates you from neurotic fear of memory failure and allows you to concentrate all your senses and energies on making the music sing. It's worked that way for me for a long time.

Phil Bjorlo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

For this reason, alone, MarkC, ^ it's worth the price of admission! --(pun intended!)-- [joking, stores!... joking!!!]

I have two:

My 2nd or 3rd recital, I think I was 8 or 9 years old, and playing Kabalevsky's Prelude and Fugue Op.61, No.1. It was an absolute favorite of mine that my dad would play, at my request, while I sat next to him on the piano bench when I was really little. At the time of this recital, my folks had pretty recently split. They were both in the audience. I had the dreaded memory lapse right where a page turn would be. It took several moments of awkward fumbling before finding the line again. I'm pretty sure that's when performance anxiety started for me. As soon as the recital was over, and everyone was out of the hall, my mom had me sit at the piano, and play it through. "You know this!" she scolded. I think she was more embarassed than I was, plus whatever memories were wrapped up in the piece... Ah, music--that can touch the soul in so many ways!

In college, I was *not* a music major. There was a guy on my dorm floor who was studying percussion. He mentioned off-hand that he needed an accompanist for a marimba piece. I said, "I'll do it!" It was a really active, dissonant modern thing, but after a lot of practice and a conducted session with his instructor, it went pretty well and looked like we could pull it off. I did not have the piece memorized, however, and during the recital, when I flipped the page at the page turn, damned if the page didn't just sit totally perpendicular off the music rack. Just sat there in the center of my nose--right between the eyes! I was doing my best to keep going without knowing the piece without reading it, and to find a place where I could smooth that sucker flat--swatting at it several times before it would lay down! The looks of shock on the faces of the other students in the audience, and the sheer disappointment of my friend the marimba player will stick with me forever. We did one other piece together, and I used a page-turner. We ended up doing that piece twice--the second time for an invited engagement. So, the story does have a happy ending! smile

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianoislove
...I was sneezing, hacking up a lung, dripping like a faucet etc., wondering how I would ever make it through on stage. As I started to play my symptoms completely went away. I thought it was a miracle, but I guess your theory is a more logical explanation! haha. (And I won the competition smile )

Sounds like you just blew them all away!

I posted this in 2002, about an event from 1964:

Originally Posted by myself
Chabrier arranged some themes from Wagner operas in the form of Quadrilles (dances) for piano, four hands. Mark Devoto, then a professor Reed College, arranged them for orchestra, which the college orchestra programmed. I was playing the anvil (i.e., a steel rail the machine shop used for an anvil), hitting it with a ball peen hammer. (I don't believe it makes a difference if you hit with the round or with the flat side). We didn't have a stand for the rail, so we just put it on the floor, and I knelt behind it.

In the rehearsals, the bass drummer wasn't paying attention very much, so when I noticed he wasn't playing his part I'd reach up with my left hand and thump on the drum, occasionally hitting the anvil with the hammer in my right. The orchestral pianist thought this was so amusing, that the night of the performance, he brought three of his friends up into the orchestra with him to watch this.

In the actual performance, I became very nervous. The bass drummer, however, who was a pretty good musician*, did pay attention and get his part right. I, on the other hand, lost my way in the score. Half a measure before the BIG anvil crash, I suddenly realized where I was. Ohmygod! I picked up the hammer and brought it down as fast as I could. Unfortunately, I missed the anvil, producing only a dull "thwok" as I hit the concrete floor. This was not without its effect, however. The orchestral pianist's friends, who had been watching, gave out a muffled shriek! The conductor started looking around in confusion, barely keeping the orchestra together as he tried to find the source of the strange noises emanating from stage right.

On my way out, a friend who had been sitting in the audience asked me, "Orr, whatever were you doing up there on your knees?" I had no reasonable answer.

*One Robert Chesley, who later achieved some minor fame as a playwright with the first play about AIDS, "Night Sweat."

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
M
M
I really have no idea what one has to do with the other.

you were saying

and I was saying that I am not sure I agree too much with 'better', yeah, they had the sheet music but they were also expected to be able to improvise on the spot, something that nowadays is not done anymore (at least in classical) and which is IMHO a lot more difficult to do well than to memorize a piece.

We got a pretty good stand-up act going here..... ha

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted by Mark_C
For this reason, alone...it's worth the price of admission! --(pun intended!)....

.....not to mention.....

Originally Posted by Palindrome
Originally Posted by Pianoislove
...I was sneezing, hacking up a lung, dripping like a faucet....

Sounds like you just blew them all away!

....and really most of the 'serious' stuff here is pretty funny too..... ha although at the time, none of it was on purpose. whome

N
NWL Offline
N
Mine is also in church:

I was playing organ as a sub for a catholic church. The organ in their chapel had broken, and they had rigged up a digital piano behind the console as a sneaky quick-fix. So I dutifully pressed the "Pipe Organ 1" button and rehearsed with the cantor, and left the chapel for a few minutes before the service began.

Well, SOMETHING must have gotten pressed on the digital piano's control panel, because it was not as I left it--I didn't realize this until too late, when I tried to give the musical prelude to the Processional Hymn to start the service, and the DP gave no chords, no Pipe Organ 1, just a preset salsa beat at top volume! In my panic I could not even find the right buttons to press, and could do no better than pull the plug, restart the keyboard, press "Pipe Organ 1" yet again and reissue the Processional Hymn--at which point the procession unfroze and started walking again, cautiously this time, towards the altar.

I wasn't invited back, but I did dine out on this story a few times...

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
30 years ago in my teenage years, I played keyboards in bands, mostly rock and country music. We were playing the UFO song "Love to Love", which begins with keyboards and builds one instrument at a time till the lead guitar hits a screaming note. The intro is building and the screaming guitar decided to come in 3 measures early, and off beat. Instead of carrying on, the inexperienced band crumbled to a halt. With nothing left to do, and facing a silent audience, I started the intro again. This time we got though it! I still have a recording of it somewhere. How I miss those days!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission