2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I want to see what's possible for an adult beginner. The upper limit of what is possible for an piano player who started learning from scratch in adulthood.

I don't want to set limits on myself. All of the teachers I've been with have always put limits on me... they say "sure you can learn piano as a matter of personal enjoyment... but don't dream of being a professional musician starting at your age." I am 24, but they've said that to me when I was 20. That's exactly what I want to be, though! I am not aiming to become a virtuoso concert pianist, so why do I keep hearing from teachers all these "but this" and "but that"? I'm determined to prove them wrong, and I want to see if there were any videos or recordings of piano players who started as a beginner in their adulthood?

I need some inspiration.

Last edited by pleasance; 08/21/10 06:12 PM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Scroll through the recital thread that's stickied at the top of this forum and listen to those who note they are not returnees, but started from scratch as an adult. That will give you some idea of what's possible. There are people there who are composing their own pieces.

Famous piano players? I have no idea. What genre are you interested in?

There are lots of ways to be a professional musician without being Van Cliburn. Can you? Who knows but you?

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you didn't start at age 5 it's a big struggle and there's some stuff that will never be second nature. Have you the very best teacher money can buy?

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
If you didn't start at age 5 it's a big struggle and there's some stuff that will never be second nature. Have you the very best teacher money can buy?

It sounds you're saying that for it to be 2nd nature, one needs a good teacher! No teacher can do that, and no teacher can make you a concert pianist. It's about you first. If you have what it takes, you have the passion, you are wiling to put in the required time and effort, etc., then you can make it as big as possible for you.

I think that really depends on what do you call a ''professional musician''. I started only 5 months ago, I'm 16 and my teacher keeps telling me I'm very talented (dunno if she says that to make me practise :D), but I can't be a solo pianist, but I should be able to do chamber music some day, if I keep working.
To be honest I'm not aiming to any of these. I play just because I like it, and some day it would be nice to play piano as singer accompaniment or in some not-a-garage band laugh

The Beginning: chilly morning of 10th April 2010

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Several of my favorite new age artists are self-taught and/or started as adults (or near adults). David Nevue had 3 years of piano lessons from 12-15, but he claims he rarely practiced, and it wasn't until he was in college that he tackled piano seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHqkNHIlfso

Scott D. Davis, also self-taught, didn't start until late teens or early adulthood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uU6YIeTTbA

There is no doubt in my mind that you could make a career in music if you include such activities as teaching and accompanying. You may need to have a day job or other source of funding for some years until you get to the level where you can support yourself in music. But if you want it badly enough, you can make it happen.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The great jazz pianist Red Garland only took up piano at age 18 while he was in the army. Before that he had studied clarinet and saxophone and so could read music. In four short years he was playing gigs and eventually became the pianist in the legendary Miles Davis quintet of the late fifties.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pleasance
: Inspirational piano players who started as adult beginners?

You! Everything is possible for an adult beginner. Especially with the right mindset. smile

Last edited by Teodor; 08/23/10 05:43 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MiM

It sounds you're saying that for it to be 2nd nature, one needs a good teacher!

I've found that the major key for it to become 2nd nature is that there needs to be a lot of time invested. Not just hours practicing, but also months / years keeping at it for it to completely sink in.

As for needing a teacher, whatever you practice and play repeatedly is what will eventually sink in and become 2nd nature, so having a good teacher will somewhat insure that what sinks in is the right stuff.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Originally Posted by MiM
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz

It sounds you're saying that for it to be 2nd nature, one needs a good teacher! No teacher can do that, and no teacher can make you a concert pianist. It's about you first. If you have what it takes, you have the passion, you are wiling to put in the required time and effort, etc., then you can make it as big as possible for you.
No. I'm saying you have to start at about age 5 for some aspects to be second nature.

When I'm thinking about the problems of becoming a professional musician, I'm usually not thinking that much about the technical aspects of playing skill. I believe it might be more important to find the right niche (is that the word in english?). You simply need to have something to offer musically that people are prepared to pay for. A clasically trained solist would be in demand bacause of things like technical skill and interpretation, but for promotion reasons they might focus on Barouqe music, or spend time on mostly contemporary music. A singer/songwriter might select a special area such as writing historical balades. Another musician maybe goes for theatre or musical productions. Others might be excellent sightreaders and specialize in acompanaying. To succeed you will need some basic skill (ok maybe nearly advanced skill smile ) but you will also need to have something unique that people want to come and listen to. When you know what to focus on, it is easier to try to get to know people that are working in that area and to look for potential first gigs.

Nevertheless, performing is usualy not very well-paid. All musicians that I know/know of, do rely on teaching or other projects/jobs for income even if they are actually performing a lot.

Nothing is accomplished without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Linked Image]

M
M
How about aspiring to teach piano in the future? I don't think there is a limit on what age you need to be to perform, look at Susan Boyle. I think it's each person's mindset that gets them where they are.

"Music is what feeling's sound like"

Adult Piano Adventures (The F.J.H Music Company)
RCM Prepatory
RCM Grade 1
RCM Grade 2 (working on)

RCM Theory
Hanon
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Look at Mr. Frantz's website:

http://www.key-notes.com/

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission