2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,261 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pam T Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I just bought an 88 key Korg SP-170 - one of the big reasons being the light weight so that I can take it along when I visit my mother 150 miles away (one way, mostly interstate). I bought the Gator GKB88 Slim case for it. Should I be concerned about damaging the keyboard? I have an SUV and can let the back seat down so that it can lay pretty flat.

I told the dealer I wanted it to be portable but didn't tell him how far.

Thanks for any comments or tips.

Pam T
Piano Teacher/Church Pianist
1977 Chickering Baby Grand
1961 Baldwin Hamilton Studio
Korg SP-170
www.facebook.com/pamwt
www.PamTurnerPiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Pam, I think some common sense would apply. Your piano has already traveled from Japan to you by boat, right? As long as you don't pile heavy things on top of it and take some care, what can happen? In the worst case you break a key which can be easily replaced.

If you're planning to play in a combo and move it around from club to club, I'd invest in a flight case.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I'd put a rug or blanket under it to cushion the bumps. Some SUVs ride like a truck, which is pretty hard on something lying on the floor without padding.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I think the reality is that, similar to flying, the points where there is the highest probability of an incident is the beginning and end of the trip. In other words, you are far more likely to cause damage during tear down/packing and setup/unpacking than the actual trip itself. Unless your mom lives at the end of a heavily rutted jeep trail or you're fond of trying to pull several g's around corners, I don't think it'll be a problem as long as you're sensible about it.

The loading and unloading, yep. I always get the encased keyboard as close as possible to the stand it will be on, because once in a while there will be an awkward door or other obstacle which causes a bump/knock/drop, and it usually can be gotten through with instrument still IN the case and therefore unharmed.
I have Gator cases also, and wish they had more padding. If you have contact with a local piano dealer, ask for the leftover padding that surrounds a piano shipped from Asia. It's a 1/4" thick foam/styrofoam type sheet, and will add significant protection to the inside of your case without adding much thickness.

Terry@cincyrockers.com
www.theplayerpianoshop.com
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
A light weight padded "gig bag" is good enough if you are the only person to move the piano. That is all you need for moving the piano in your own car as long as you are careful never to drop the piano or smack it into something as you are loading it

You'd need a hard rigid case only if you were to give the piano to a porter or baggage handler who would likely pile other luggage on top of your piano. Or if you were like me and did not want to always have to top load the gear. I prefer the rigid case just so I don't have to be careful.

Bottom line is don't worry. The piano likely saw far worse abuse wile in the back of some UPS trucks on the way to the store.

But in the UPS trucks (and ocean going containers) it was in a purpose-built styrofoam end-pieced box not suited for repeated loading and unloading. I have used the original box until I got a real case. It'll last you 5 to 30 moves, depending on care and rain. You will at some point drop the keyboard or smack it into something; anything from icy sidewalks to pre-occupied caterers will get you. It's just a matter of time and how often you move the instrument.
I'd definitely recommend against a gig bag for just about any regular moving. My only use of one is inside a road/flight case whose foam had deteriorated; I ripped out the remnants and put a gig bag in to replace the foam, but the primary protection is the solid sides of the original case.

Last edited by elecmuse3; 08/24/10 01:44 PM.

Terry@cincyrockers.com
BTW, my comments about the use of good cases don't really apply to the OP, considering she already has one. She might consider putting a rolled up blanket on the floor under hers, since the Gator cases don't have a lot of padding internally.

Last edited by elecmuse3; 08/24/10 02:33 PM.

Terry@cincyrockers.com
P
Pam T Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the comments - I'm hoping the Gator bag with a thick blanket under it will be ok. Actually, the soft case seems to have pretty good padding considering I'm just going to slide it into the car, then slide it out and straight into the back door of the house. I just woke up very early this morning worried about this! One of those things, I guess, since I've never had a portable instrument before. I just really don't want to break it!

Pam T
Piano Teacher/Church Pianist
1977 Chickering Baby Grand
1961 Baldwin Hamilton Studio
Korg SP-170
www.facebook.com/pamwt
www.PamTurnerPiano.com
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by elecmuse3
I'd definitely recommend against a gig bag for just about any regular moving. My only use of one is inside a road/flight case whose foam had deteriorated;..

I've come up with a similar system. Buy a simple gig bag and then I make a plywood case that just holds the bag. The wood case is bare inside and the bag provides the padding.

Bare wood cases are easy to make, just six sides glued together make a hollow block then you saw the block in half, one half is the case the other the lid.

Same system works for both guitars and keyboards

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission